The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Penn State Gets Slammed

$60 million. No post-season for four years. Vacating all victories from 1998 to 2011 (which means Paterno is no longer the winningest coach). Also, "Penn State will lose 10 initial scholarships and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/sp...mc=rss&src=igw

Good for them. It reminds me of those Catholic bishops sacrificing children to protect the priests and the church. Paterno did the same thing to protect his football program. Now, his statue is gone and his victories are gone. Justice is done.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

They should have gutted the program entirely. Get rid of football there. They don't deserve to field a team, but we know how important athletics are to getting $ for universities, so of course the NCAA didn't have the balls to do that.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
They should have gutted the program entirely. Get rid of football there. They don't deserve to field a team, but we know how important athletics are to getting $ for universities, so of course the NCAA didn't have the balls to do that.
I think it's a sufficient warning to the rest of college athletics. Paterno ignored Sandusky's crimes in order to protect the program. Now, the program pays the price.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

WOW!!! I just feel sorry for the football players and die hard fans of Penn State that had nothing to do with this that now must suffer the consequences.
long beach bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I think everyone involved should be punished to the fullest extent. I just dont see why the football program, as an institution, is the one to blame. This was the act of men, not a sport, and there's a **** ton of student athletes that are getting the brunt of this. If you wanna gut the program and start anew, fine, but im not sure why getting rid of scholarships is the proper course of action
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

This was the proper response to what Penn State did from a football perspective. They covered up for a pedo to keep their football program from losing resuits for almost 15 years. It was strange to me that people thought the NCAA wouldn't do anything.

Props to Penn State for accepting the punishment.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I think everyone involved should be punished to the fullest extent. I just dont see why the football program, as an institution, is the one to blame. This was the act of men, not a sport, and there's a **** ton of student athletes that are getting the brunt of this. If you wanna gut the program and start anew, fine, but im not sure why getting rid of scholarships is the proper course of action
But it was in fact covered up to protect the football program.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
But it was in fact covered up to protect the football program.
Sure, but thats still the actions of men, not a football program. Wouldn't the program be the innocent victim in all this? Get rid of all the rot, anyone who had anything todo with it, rebuild the locker rooms (whatever you want), but getting rid of scholarships seems odd. Its not like they did this for a competitive advantage
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Sure, but thats still the actions of men, not a football program. Wouldn't the program be the innocent victim in all this? Get rid of all the rot, anyone who had anything todo with it, rebuild the locker rooms (whatever you want), but getting rid of scholarships seems odd. Its not like they did this for a competitive advantage
I completely agree. At this point the actual rapist is in jail, the coach is dead, and the remaining conspirators are disgraced and likely facing criminal charges of some kind.

This is nothing but a gratuitous pile-on by the NCAA which punishes all of the wrong people.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
canadianbroncosfan

Wow am I glad to see this. And I know some will say that it`s not doing anything for the victims, but it really is because it`s showing how severe this was and how seriously it`s being treated. The legal system will do the rest for the victims.

Part of this read:
``In announcing the penalties, Mark Emmert, the N.C.A.A. president, called the case the most painful “chapter in the history of intercollegiate athletics,” and said it could be argued that the punishment was “greater than any other seen in N.C.A.A. history.” ``

Correct me if I`m wrong, but has there ever been a more severe act in NCAA sports history?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

And the starting QB for Paterno's last official win?

Mike McQueary
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If they lost a bunch of recruits because their DC was a pedo then I'd say they'd lose quite a bit of competitive ability. So in a round about way they did have a competitive advantage.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Sure, but thats still the actions of men, not a football program.
No...because the head coach of the football program and the AD conspired to keep it under wraps and up until a week before 11/11/11 Sanduckey was still using the Penn State facility. It violated NCAA rules up and down...especially under the section about conduct of member institutions.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

This also means Bobby Bowden is the all-time winning coach.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
That's like saying the Catholic Church is not responsible for the actions of its priests. Paterno failed to take action in order to protect the program, just like some bishops failed to take action in order to protect the church. And in the end, it was the church that paid, just like Penn State will pay now. And who knows what Paterno was thinking, regarding competitive advantage? If he stepped up and brought Sandusky's crimes to light (as he should have) Penn State would have paid then as well. The penalty should rightfully be tenfold because Paterno failed to act to protect the children.

It's like saying the officers of corporations can do anything they want because the corporation and shareholders (who benefit from the crimes) are separate from the actions of individuals within the organization. A dangerous idea.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 07-23-2012 at 09:16 AM..
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
You damn right he is!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I completely agree. At this point the actual rapist is in jail, the coach is dead, and the remaining conspirators are disgraced and likely facing criminal charges of some kind.

This is nothing but a gratuitous pile-on by the NCAA which punishes all of the wrong people.
This is what happens when you **** up. It happened to SC and I didnt hear too many here saying that Bush losing his Heisman trophy is good enough. This was waaaaay worse. THis was a crime. While I don't think the wins should be taken away, This happened because they wanted to defend a football and university's name. Well, here is the punishment for it. Jo Pa protecting his team to make sure he continues getting his players onto campus by keeping a crime hush hush and crimes continued.
USC didnt suffer too much. Let us see if the love of Penn State after this lets the team continue to be competitive.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
That's like saying the Catholic Church is not responsible for the actions of its priests. Paterno failed to take action to protect the program, just like some bishops failed to take action to protect the church. And in the end, it was the church that paid, just like Penn State will pay now. And who knows what Paterno was thinking, regarding competitive advantage? If he stepped up brought Sandusky's crimes to light (as he should have) Penn State would have paid then as well. The penalty should rightfully be tenfold because Paterno failed to act to protect the children.

It's like saying the officers of corporations can do anything they want because the corporation and shareholders (who benefit from the crimes) are separate from the actions of individuals within the organization. A dangerous idea.
This. I can understand giving the guy the benefit of the doubt in 1998, but when the same cahrges came up in 2001....that was it. It should have been on-point, get this guy to jail and at least off our campus.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach bronco View Post
WOW!!! I just feel sorry for the football players and die hard fans of Penn State that had nothing to do with this that now must suffer the consequences.
I feel sorry for the guys that suffered the consequences of Sandusky's actions and as a result, JoePa's.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #20
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

The football players there can transfer with no penalty.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I understand the concern some have with this. It's not like students or student body were cheating. The teachers and rest of the coaches weren't doing things to gain an unfair advantage. Why should the football program be punished when the primary instigators are going to jail forever or dead?

The reason is because the faculty knew of the problem and used this coverup specifically to protect the football program. A thriving football program is a gravy train for a University. The powers that be acted to cover up a horrible act to ensure their football program and university resources would be protected.

At the very least, Penn State deserves this for putting too much trust and power in one man. No matter how moral someone can seem, everyone is human and letting someone have that kind of unilateral power is irresponsible.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
bases055
Rookie!

Insert Lombardi Image Here

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Xavier Omon

What's the point of even playing the games out? IMO the death penalty would have been far less embarrassing than the product they will be putting on the field.
bases055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
Drunken.Broncoholic

It would've been easier had they just suspend the program for a year or 2. NCAA is just making penn st an example of "don't screw up like this" across the nation. They have harsh sanctions just for recruit violations. They needed to show they mean business.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #24
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I believe it will be Eddie Robinso.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bases055 View Post
What's the point of even playing the games out? IMO the death penalty would have been far less embarrassing than the product they will be putting on the field.
They can still sell tickets and generate revenue. I think they can get TV revenue, too.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote