The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #476
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Cassel was the best option Pioli had in 2009 and a good QB to go through the building pains of building the team.

Starting a young QB on a 2-23 team would have ruined the QB's confidence ala David Carr.
What? Gus Ferrotte wasn't available?
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #477
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Yet he still helped his team win playoff games over Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. No big deal

By the way, who won both of those games?
Mark Sanchez?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #478
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDongJohnson View Post
Id take either of them over tyson jackson.
Ouch!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #479
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Sanchez is nowhere near worth the 4th overall pick. Not anywhere near it. And while Tyson Jackson isn't either, his position is nowhere near as a determining factor as Sanchez' is.

Sanchez is essentially the same QB as Cassel. They're QB's that have to have everything around them be perfect for them to succeed.

The difference is the Jets were gave up picks to move up to #4 overall to draft the guy.

If I'm drafting a QB at #4, I'd rather it not be a QB with huge question marks surrounding him.
Sanchez has 4 career wins. How far back do we have to go to find 4 KC franchise playoff wins?

BTW: before you go all "supporting team" on me, here's Sanchez' career stats for the playoffs:

six games, 95-157, 1155, 9 TD, 3 int. QB rating of 94.3.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #480
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If the best thing that can be said for Cassell is that "he's not the train wreck he's widely perceived as", then it looks to me like the Chefs are in for a another disappointing season.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #481
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Sanchez has 4 career wins. How far back do we have to go to find 4 KC franchise playoff wins?

BTW: before you go all "supporting team" on me, here's Sanchez' career stats for the playoffs:

six games, 95-157, 1155, 9 TD, 3 int. QB rating of 94.3.
Yeah Sanchez didn't have any help huh?

He just had the 1st ranked defense, 1st ranked running game, arguably the best OL in the NFL.

Even Cassel has won 10 or more games twice with elite talent/coaching surrounding him.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #482
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Yeah Sanchez didn't have any help huh?

He just had the 1st ranked defense, 1st ranked running game, arguably the best OL in the NFL.

Even Cassel has won 10 or more games twice with elite talent/coaching surrounding him.
All that really helped Sanchez put up those passing numbers, right?

Just admit, he's done well in the playoffs. It's okay. No one will hate you.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #483
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
All that really helped Sanchez put up those passing numbers, right?

Just admit, he's done well in the playoffs. It's okay. No one will hate you.
Yes it did. When you have time in the pocket, it's not that hard. Even Cassel has proven that.

It's all a matter of circumstance. Sanchez struggled last year when the Jets talent wasn't near as good. His line gave up 40 sacks last year after giving up only 26 his rookie year and 27 his second year.
His running game was 1st in the NFL his rookie year, 4th his 2nd year, and then to no surprise was 22nd last year when he looked awful.

Also, how would Sanchez look if he had a new OC every single season like Cassel?

I still think they're the same type of QB's. Have to have everyone else surrounding them look great for them to look good.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #484
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

So a quarterback needs a good team around him to win.

Thanks for that news flash.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #485
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Yes it did. When you have time in the pocket, it's not that hard. Even Cassel has proven that.

It's all a matter of circumstance. Sanchez struggled last year when the Jets talent wasn't near as good. His line gave up 40 sacks last year after giving up only 26 his rookie year and 27 his second year.
His running game was 1st in the NFL his rookie year, 4th his 2nd year, and then to no surprise was 22nd last year when he looked awful.

Also, how would Sanchez look if he had a new OC every single season like Cassel?

I still think they're the same type of QB's. Have to have everyone else surrounding them look great for them to look good.
I think I see what KC is saying. Brees, Rodgers, Brady are elite QB's. The best. Isn't that what you want?

Sanchez/Cassel. Meh
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #486
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:

did the 2010 Chiefs not have the #1 rushing offense?

come on now...
Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #487
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
did the 2010 Chiefs not have the #1 rushing offense?

come on now...
And Cassel looked good that season. Won double-digit games.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #488
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So a quarterback needs a good team around him to win.

Thanks for that news flash.
Not if you have an elite QB. Steelers OL has been getting Big Ben killed for years, Packers defense sucked last year.

Look at last years SB. Pats defense was not good at all and the Giants had a horrible running game and below average OL.

Franchise QB's make due and still succeed. Andy Dalton, Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez are QB's who have to have everyone else be great for them to look good.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #489
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Not if you have an elite QB. Steelers OL has been getting Big Ben killed for years, Packers defense sucked last year.

Look at last years SB. Pats defense was not good at all and the Giants had a horrible running game and below average OL.

Franchise QB's make due and still succeed. Andy Dalton, Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez are QB's who have to have everyone else be great for them to look good.
Andy Dalton!?!? You are so ****ing dumb.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #490
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

at anyone who thinks the Steelers line is the reason Ben gets sacked all the time.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #491
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
we're talking about playoffs here. How did Cassel look in the playoffs with the #1 rushing offense?

compare and contrast with how Sanchez looked in the playoffs with the #4 rushing offense.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #492
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
we're talking about playoffs here. How did Cassel look in the playoffs with the #1 rushing offense?

compare and contrast with how Sanchez looked in the playoffs with the #4 rushing offense.
It's kcdud, he chooses NOT to acknowledge or remember the losses.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #493
Bacillus Anthracis

Sanchez has done well in the playoffs but I gotta go with the idea that it's because of the talent around him, not because he's one of the best in the league. He doesn't elevate that team, he plays at the level of the rest of the team. IOW, when the team slipped, so did he.

He's okay but he's not one of the primary reasons the Jets were so good for two seasons.; that's not what you look for in a franchise qb.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #494
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus Anthracis View Post
Sanchez has done well in the playoffs but I gotta go with the idea that it's because of the talent around him, not because he's one of the best in the league. He doesn't elevate that team, he plays at the level of the rest of the team. IOW, when the team slipped, so did he.

He's okay but he's not one of the primary reasons the Jets were so good for two seasons.; that's not what you look for in a franchise qb.
The same argument could have been made about Eli Manning up until a couple of years ago.

Eli was highly drafted as well. 5 years in to his career, his best QB rating was 77 and he led the league in interceptions. Heading into 2012, he's considered one of the better QB's in the game...top 10, certainly.

I'm just sayin - it's a little pre-mature to lump Sanchez in with Cassel. I'm not saying he's an all-pro at this point - I think the light simply hasn't come on for him just yet. All of his measurable statistics have increased each year - TD passes, yards, comp %, rating, TD%, int % decreased, etc. couple that with some clutch games in the playoffs, and I have hope for Sanchez's ability to improve further.

Cassel, on the other hand, has had a different trajectory. He had the luxury of sitting on the bench for a few years, learning how to be a pro QB. After that, he had a good season in NE and then one great season in KC, bracketed by a couple of meh seasons. He's 30 years old - I think we've seen his ceiling, and that was his 2010 season.

The point we are trying to make here is that KC had a chance to grab a potential franchise QB in 2009 in Sanchez, or 2011 w/ a number of QB's - we still don't know what we have in Locker, Kapernik, Locker, Gabbert, or Mallet (trading up is ALWAYS an option). Instead, they've chosen to continue with a journeyman level QB, and will continue to struggle as a result.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #495
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
We can use your own ammo to argue your point. Who did KC beat that year that was any good and how many playoff teams did they beat?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #496
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
We can use your own ammo to argue your point. Who did KC beat that year that was any good and how many playoff teams did they beat?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #497
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Some fun facts for stat lovers out there:

Mark Sanchez has a better QB rating, TD to INT ratio and Y/A than Eli, Big Ben and even Tom Brady in the post-season.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #498
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

Mark Sanchez has a better QB rating, TD to INT ratio and Y/A than Eli, Big Ben and even Tom Brady in the post-season.
Only because of an all word D!!
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #499
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

And the best OL in the playoffs. Meanwhile KC had to start a player off the street because they were void of talent.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #500
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Eli/Big Ben/Brady 7 SB's> Sanchez