The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default NFL Attendance Trends.

The topic here is the "story behind the story." In the long run, does the NFL really care about "in stadium" attendance any more? It seems that the real money comes from TV contracts these days, so more fans at home = higher ratings = better TV contracts. Why would the NFL try too hard to make the "in game expereince" affordable? Anyway, it is an interesting topic, especially if the trend continues and more fans choose to stay away from the stadium (and the league doesn't care).

What say you?

After peaking in 2007, NFL attendance steadily has declined

Posted by Mike Florio on July 8, 2012, 9:39 PM EDT

The recent focus on reducing blackouts has obscured a more important stat when it comes to keep NFL balance sheets deep in the black.

Despite unprecedented growth of TV audiences, attendance at NFL games reached an all-time high in 2007. It has consistently dropped ever since.

In 2011, the NFL posted the lowest total attendance since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002 with the addition of the Houston Texans. That year, 16,883,310 paying customers attended the 256 regular-season games. The number climbed over the next five years, maxing out at 17,345,205 in 2007.

Since then, the numbers has dropped each year. In 2011, the total paid attendance of 16,562,706 was lower than the prior year’s 16,569,514, even though the 2010 figure excluded the Giants-Vikings game that was moved to Ford Field after the roof of the Metrodome collapsed...

link to entire article:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-has-declined/
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Here's a thought, lower ticket prices so poeple can afford to go to the games
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

that's whay I gave up my seats last year...also, the game is over exposed. sunday, sunday night, monday night, thursday night, and some saturdays.

enough already
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

First two years I lived here I went to just about every game. Now I go once a year. It's such a grind to go all 10 games.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

hey, did anyone consider that the friggen recession kicked in full swing in 2008 and the economy still sucks?

Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Part of the blame HAS to go to technological advances of HDTV as well.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I love going to games. I went to 9 last year and am looking at another 9 this year.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Football and Hockey are the 2 live experiences that are much better in person.

but Ill admit, with football i am not missing a lot by being a couch potato.

The TV experience is great with HD and all the angles
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I love going to games. I went to 9 last year and am looking at another 9 this year.
samey samey
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

If I lived there, I'd be going to every game.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

It's expensive. You have to deal with traffic, sit in a cramped chair, have some drunken idiots, half of whom are drunk when they step in the stadium, make idiotic comments or start fights. You can pay $50 for parking, or take the magical road through the mud and gravel under some shady bridges, across train tracks to stand on the light rail packed in like sardines.

OR you can watch from your home. Pause the action to pee, wear your underwear and BE that drunken idiot except no one will want to fight you when you complain the QB is doing it wrong.

I love going to games, but more than one or two a year for me is too much trouble to deal with.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

You get drunken idiots when the game takes place at 2 p.m.
brncs_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It's expensive. You have to deal with traffic, sit in a cramped chair, have some drunken idiots, half of whom are drunk when they step in the stadium, make idiotic comments or start fights. You can pay $50 for parking, or take the magical road through the mud and gravel under some shady bridges, across train tracks to stand on the light rail packed in like sardines.

OR you can watch from your home. Pause the action to pee, wear your underwear and BE that drunken idiot except no one will want to fight you when you complain the QB is doing it wrong.

I love going to games, but more than one or two a year for me is too much trouble to deal with.
lol...so true

Yeah, having season tickets is actually a pretty big commitment not just financially but in terms of time...assuming one doesn't sell their tickets at least.

I am definitely not in the "I am a better fan because..." camp, but I will say that during the season, my girlfriend and I very much enjoy making a day of it and tailgating as well as taking the kids when they want to go. I have a parking pass which of course isn't any cheaper than paying every time but at least I pay it up front and don't fool with it.

That said, I look forward to the breaks when there are away games to chill at home with the flat screen although I probably spend the same on beer and food anyhow since at the stadium I only eat and drink what I brought to tailgate.

Last season alone was worth the price of admission, some amazing games to watch and memories that made the almost 10 years I waited for tickets seem like a distant memory.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Since then, the numbers has dropped each year. In 2011, the total paid attendance of 16,562,706 was lower than the prior year’s 16,569,514, even though the 2010 figure excluded the Giants-Vikings game that was moved to Ford Field after the roof of the Metrodome collapsed...

link to entire article:
That is just under 7,000 season tickets.

That is like 430 seats per team (game) considering we are in the worst recession in 90 years I think this a non story.

Now if they were talking thousands or more per game/week then it might be a bigger story.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I think its only worth going when the team is competitive. Thats just me, because when the weather isn't great, and the team is sucking, I find myself wondering why I'm there paying to suffer like an idiot when i could be at home where i can just change the damn channel. Only went to 1 game when McDip**** was here. Night games in the cold suck, especially when they flex the games to night in November/December. Drunken idiots aren't a big deal to me, I'm so into the game I don't notice them. But i'm a cheap bastard so when I go I go park at Auraria for $10 and walk to the game, and bring snacks and soda in a backpack. Go take a piss before the game starts, and never leave my seat until the game is over.

My old man and I had a pretty damn good system going. Now its maybe 1 or 2 a year although I'm gonna try to go to 3 or 4 this year. So freaking excited for this season.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I think its only worth going when the team is competitive. Thats just me, because when the weather isn't great, and the team is sucking, I find myself wondering why I'm there paying to suffer like an idiot when i could be at home where i can just change the damn channel. Only went to 1 game when McDip**** was here. Night games in the cold suck, especially when they flex the games to night in November/December. Drunken idiots aren't a big deal to me, I'm so into the game I don't notice them. But i'm a cheap bastard so when I go I go park at Auraria for $10 and walk to the game, and bring snacks and soda in a backpack. Go take a piss before the game starts, and never leave my seat until the game is over.

My old man and I had a pretty damn good system going. Now its maybe 1 or 2 a year although I'm gonna try to go to 3 or 4 this year. So freaking excited for this season.
Yeah my dad and I smuggle food in too. It's better than that crap the sell for ten dollars.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #17
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

For the record, the number of reasons not to go to a game are valid. This past season was my first in Denver, and I can tell you I valued the away game weeks just as much as I did the home game weeks. Now granted, for different reasons, but still. As much as I love home games, I do enjoy laying on my couch as well. This year I turned people down who wanted me to hit a bar for an away game. Wanted to unwind/recharge my batteries.

Also somebody mentioned the quality of play on the field. It's absolutely true. That KC game was miserable. We were a competitive team of course, but a 7-3 game or whatever just isn't fun. Perhaps I'd think differently had we won. I don't know. Also the first half of the SD game before Orton got benched was beyond miserable. Especially that last minute throw from Rivers to VJack.

With all that said, what I'm discovering if that it's all about moments for me. For all the bad plays or sitting in traffic or whatever, there's Tebow to DT in overtime. I wouldn't trade being there for that for anything. And I'm not saying if you weren't there it doesn't mean as much or any BS like that. I'm just saying that for me personally, I absolutely love it.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #18
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
The topic here is the "story behind the story." In the long run, does the NFL really care about "in stadium" attendance any more? It seems that the real money comes from TV contracts these days, so more fans at home = higher ratings = better TV contracts. Why would the NFL try too hard to make the "in game expereince" affordable? Anyway, it is an interesting topic, especially if the trend continues and more fans choose to stay away from the stadium (and the league doesn't care).

What say you?

After peaking in 2007, NFL attendance steadily has declined

Posted by Mike Florio on July 8, 2012, 9:39 PM EDT

The recent focus on reducing blackouts has obscured a more important stat when it comes to keep NFL balance sheets deep in the black.

Despite unprecedented growth of TV audiences, attendance at NFL games reached an all-time high in 2007. It has consistently dropped ever since.

In 2011, the NFL posted the lowest total attendance since the league expanded to 32 teams in 2002 with the addition of the Houston Texans. That year, 16,883,310 paying customers attended the 256 regular-season games. The number climbed over the next five years, maxing out at 17,345,205 in 2007.

link to entire article:
It's the economy stupid.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
DENVERDUI55

I like to go to 2 or 3 games a year but I also enjoy watching several games on sunday. When you go to the game it seems like you only get to see that game and miss the rest.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I bought my house to be close to the stadium

I generally leave about 30 minutes before the game. Find a ticket and pop into the stadium. I'm home 20 minutes after the thing ends. It's pretty awesome.

I'll make every home game when I'm in town.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Ticket prices are to high, HDTV, Sunday Ticket etc. I would absolutely love to go to the game but its a lot of money to pay for tickets and a flight out there. If i lived there i'd go to at least half the home games.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I bought my house to be close to the stadium

I generally leave about 30 minutes before the game. Find a ticket and pop into the stadium. I'm home 20 minutes after the thing ends. It's pretty awesome.

I'll make every home game when I'm in town.
So did you leave early for the Bears game and the Steelers playoff game? I wouldnt go bragging about leaving early last season.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #23
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

All I know is that I'll be attending the Raiders game on Sep 30 and I am super stoked. Got tickets in section 100 for face value at 95 bucks that are listed at 300+. Can't wait to watch 18 throw a fade into the back corner of the endzone right in front of my face!
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #24
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
hey, did anyone consider that the friggen recession kicked in full swing in 2008 and the economy still sucks?

/thread, etc.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I like to go to 2 or 3 games a year but I also enjoy watching several games on sunday. When you go to the game it seems like you only get to see that game and miss the rest.
That is why the NFL is trying to put Wi-Fi in the stadiums, maybe allow the NFL RedZone as a in-stadium app.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...-wi-fi-in-2012
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote