The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
socal

Default The Orange Mane and its rival

Has Broncos Country always been the "official" message board of the Denver Broncos - that is, has it always been hosted on denverbroncos.com? I "discovered" that board (along with this one) 3 or 4 years ago - and it's funny how it's only been within the past year that I became aware of this affiliation. I was under the impression that Broncos Country was an independent, "grass-roots" type of deal.

At the same time, it seems that The Orange Mane isn't nearly as prominent in the Google search results as it used to be - at least when you type in the unquoted phrase "Denver Broncos Message Board".

I'm just wondering if Broncos Country and The Orange Mane are - in different ways - casualties of the NFL's attempt to control internet discourse. Maybe it bought Broncos Country - while engaging in "optimization" tricks to lower the visibility of The Orange Mane (probably its biggest threat/rival)?

It's something how - if you try to Google a good message board for most/all of the NFL teams - the first board that usually pops up - in "Can't Miss It" fashion - is the official board that is attached to the team's official website. And in most/all cases, it is the most viable option by far; it doesn't face much competition from much weaker, much-less-visited fan message boards (that is - if other boards for that team even exist in the first place). IIRC, this situation was much less the case, oh, 8 years ago - NFL teams didn't have such a stranglehold on the internet-forum market.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

what?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal View Post
Has Broncos Country always been the "official" message board of the Denver Broncos - that is, has it always been hosted on denverbroncos.com? I "discovered" that board (along with this one) 3 or 4 years ago - and it's funny how it's only been within the past year that I became aware of this affiliation. I was under the impression that Broncos Country was an independent, "grass-roots" type of deal.

At the same time, it seems that The Orange Mane isn't nearly as prominent in the Google search results as it used to be - at least when you type in the unquoted phrase "Denver Broncos Message Board".

I'm just wondering if Broncos Country and The Orange Mane are - in different ways - casualties of the NFL's attempt to control internet discourse. Maybe it bought Broncos Country - while engaging in "optimization" tricks to lower the visibility of The Orange Mane (probably its biggest threat/rival)?

It's something how - if you try to Google a good message board for most/all of the NFL teams - the first board that usually pops up - in "Can't Miss It" fashion - is the official board that is attached to the team's official website. And in most/all cases, it is the most viable option by far; it doesn't face much competition from much weaker, much-less-visited fan message boards (that is - if other boards for that team even exist in the first place). IIRC, this situation was much less the case, oh, 8 years ago - NFL teams didn't have such a stranglehold on the internet-forum market.
Wouldn't "the history of Broncos Country message board" logically be a more appropriate discussion topic for that forum? While there are no doubt some posters here (including me) who are registered on both message boards, the Mane seems like an odd venue to ask this particular question.

Guess the bottom line is that it is to be hoped that this thread doesn't devolve into "bashing another Broncos board". Regardless of which forum we call "home"... at the end of the day, we're rooting for the same team.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Stuck in Cali

Hmm, when I looked for a fan forum site not that long ago, this was one of the first to pop up. Glad I found it. It's more adult than what I would think one ran by the Broncos or NFL. For the most part all the posters have been cool, not all but most. Best thing I like is that it was made and is taken care of by a fan, how could you not support that.

Think I found a home till my mouth/posts gets me kicked :p.

The others might be good also, I just like it here to not even bother checking them out.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
socal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Wouldn't "the history of Broncos Country message board" logically be a more appropriate discussion topic for that forum? While there are no doubt some posters here (including me) who are registered on both message boards, the Mane seems like an odd venue to ask this particular question.

Guess the bottom line is that it is to be hoped that this thread doesn't devolve into "bashing another Broncos board". Regardless of which forum we call "home"... at the end of the day, we're rooting for the same team.
My intent is not to bash Broncos Country or to incite an inter-board war - I was simply curious, is all. And I was naturally leery of asking that question over there - for at least a couple of different reasons. I was looking for an answer to my question - and I realize that there are many posters who probably belong to both boards - so I thought I could get an answer here.

And I think the fact that the most visible and active boards in fanboard-dom seem to be property of NFL teams is worth noting. There are obvious probable implications - as far as controlling content, what types of comments appear, steering the conversations in a particular direction, possible IP-tracking etc..

This board appears to be a viable board that is independent - which is great, and increasingly rare.

Maybe it was just the name "Broncos Country" that threw me off, I'm not sure - the name alone can give you the impression that it is an independent entity. Maybe I simply missed that it had the address forums.denverbroncos.com - or maybe I just didn't care until recently.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Broncos Country is for the gays.

Except blart, etc.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Meck77

Troll alert.
Meck77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Chefs suck and I hate the Raiders. What board is more prominent doesn't really matter.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

DOROTHY MANTOOTH IS A SAINT!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal View Post

First of all, it appears everyone but me totally missed the point of your thread. I googled and you are correct.

I don't know how worried the NFL is about our board. Having said that, I do find it disturbing that if you google "Denver Broncos Message Board, Broncos Message Board and Denver football message board" the OrangeMane no longer loads at all. I went three pages deep into results before I stopped looking. If you google the word "forum" with any of those, the Mane does load, but it is the sixth option to appear with several really crappy ones in front of us.

So it is odd.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I wish there was a way to do a historical search to see if Mock's passing had anything to do with this.

In all seriousness, maybe TJ could let us know if the OM traffic has gone down in recent years. That would be a legitimate explanation. If not and traffic is basically the same, then an argument could certainly be made that something fishy is going on.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
socalorado
Ring of Famer

There are no rivals of the Mane.

Theres the Jr high level, G-Rated board- Broncomania
Theres the High School level, PG rated board- Bronco Forums
Theres the College level, X-Rated board- Orange Mane

Broncomania has always had an official aspect to it, and over the last 5 years has become a politically correct, non discussion, discussion board.
You are really not allowed to have any kind of banter, or disagreements, and no sarcasm or minor vuglar language is allowed or tolerated. Basically everyone WILL get along there.

Bronco Forums was never very popular until the Cutler/Shanahan debacle-nuclear meltdown. After the aftermath and the hiring of McDooDooHead, many Maners left searching for a more mellow discussion board, where there wasnt such an acidic dialogue amongst the fans. Broncomania wasnt it, so Bronco Forums membership went up.
Recently, BF has begun losing more and more of its recent members that are coming back to the Mane, or going elsewhere, because they at BF are adopting the Broncomania G-rated, non-discussion, disscusion board. No arguements, no banter, no sarcasm, no disagreements, unless sanctioned by Gestapo Control.

The Orange Mane. The last holdout for pure, unadulterated discussion.
I better not get fricken banned Taco! !
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Speaking of shenanigans, I remember stumbling upon a tactic a couple years ago. One day for some reason I had to type the OM URL in manually. Well I accidentally typed it incorrectly... I think I typed "theorangemane.com" or something, and it redirected me to a Chargers website. Don't know if it still does that.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
First of all, it appears everyone but me totally missed the point of your thread. I googled and you are correct.

I don't know how worried the NFL is about our board. Having said that, I do find it disturbing that if you google "Denver Broncos Message Board, Broncos Message Board and Denver football message board" the OrangeMane no longer loads at all. I went three pages deep into results before I stopped looking. If you google the word "forum" with any of those, the Mane does load, but it is the sixth option to appear with several really crappy ones in front of us.

So it is odd.
There is something called search engine optimization. Its a combo of link building, the right content on your site, and correct coding of the site.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

So it is odd.
If I'm looking for a football forum my search goes like this. Denver Broncos forums.

Broncos forums, orangemane, and even the freaks pops up on the first page. Not sure what this dude is babbling about. I'm certainly no tech guru but it the official site most certainly has more traffic than here and should be listed higher.
Meck77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #17
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

If I type in Denver Broncos Discussion, the mane is the first site that pops up...

EDIT: Same thing with "broncos discussion"

Last edited by Boobs McGee; 07-16-2012 at 08:02 AM..
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If you Google "Gutless Drunk" the mane is the first site that pops up.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
Drunken.Broncoholic

BC has very thin skinned mods and posters. They'll ban your IP address for a G Rated spat. Then let others bash Baylin and get away with it.

I came across this board cause someone on BC board had mentioned how good it was. If someone was to google bronco boards i think they would look beyond the first couple suggestions
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

The mane also doesn't pop up on the first Google page when searching "Foneco" and "Should i move to Myrtle Beach for a girl?"

Bullsh*t!
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #21
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

It doesn't come up for Khan camp report either.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I wish there was a way to do a historical search to see if Mock's passing had anything to do with this.

In all seriousness, maybe TJ could let us know if the OM traffic has gone down in recent years. That would be a legitimate explanation. If not and traffic is basically the same, then an argument could certainly be made that something fishy is going on.
To answer the question, we took our biggest traffic dip during the Summer after Josh McDaniels was hired. It peaked after we went 6-0, and then dipped back down after that. His firing caused a spike, with another coming at the Elway hiring. But then things have been pretty flat with moderate spikes around certain events (Tebow definitely caused a spike).

I haven't looked at our Google results recently. I definitely are doing some things that probably hurt our google ratings. I'll have to give that a look and see what I can do to improve. All in all, we do well in traffic. We've had almost 2.5 million page views in the last year with about 25,000 unique visitors in that time. I suppose that we could be doing better, but high traffic is a blessing and a curse. I'm content to have slow, stead word of mouth growth. It's disruptive when we get floods of new people (as many of us experienced from the Tebow era - long as it lasted).

I definitely don't think anything fishy is going on. The Broncos Country forum has the power of the NFL/Broncos behind it. We're a fan operated forum without their resources. It's only natural that they'd have better Google ratings than we do.

Last edited by Taco John; 07-16-2012 at 09:22 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #23
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
To answer the question, we took our biggest traffic dip during the Summer after Josh McDaniels was hired. It peaked after we went 6-0, and then dipped back down after that. His firing caused a spike, with another coming at the Elway hiring. But then things have been pretty flat with moderate spikes around certain events (Tebow definitely caused a spike).

I haven't looked at our Google results recently. I definitely are doing some things that probably hurt our google ratings. I'll have to give that a look and see what I can do to improve. All in all, we do well in traffic. We've had almost 2.5 million page views in the last year with about 25,000 unique visitors in that time. I suppose that we could be doing better, but high traffic is a blessing and a curse. I'm content to have slow, stead word of mouth growth. It's disruptive when we get floods of new people (as many of us experienced from the Tebow era - long as it lasted).

I definitely don't think anything fishy is going on. The Broncos Country forum has the power of the NFL/Broncos behind it. We're a fan operated forum without their resources. It's only natural that they'd have better Google ratings than we do.
Congrats on 49,000 posts, Taco. Wow!!
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Wow I didn't even notice... I'm climbing into Mock territory.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #25
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Wow I didn't even notice... I'm climbing into Mock territory.
does that mean you are going to start not-making sense and throwing Beezer quotes in every post?
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote