The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default Tacks thrown at Tour de France

I know most of you don't care about cycling and think they all dope up but today it was a idiot fan trying to skew the outcome of the Tour. Sad day to see fans who are that close to the action try to do stupid stuff that could impact the outcome of the race.

I have watched all but 2 days of the Tour, it has been fun to watch even with Andy Schleck (broken pelvis) and Alberto Contador (doping) out. The American TJ Van Garderen is having a great race and he could be a favorite to win in the next couple years. Cycling, like any sport, is more fun to watch the more you learn about it. Plus for me the biggest draw is the coverage and the travel-log showing all the great castles, chateaus, mountains, bridges and history of France.

I know this stuff has happened in the past (sounds like it is more common in Spain) but stupid behavior anywhere should be called out:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...HmW_story.html

At least 30 riders were disrupted by tire punctures at the top of the final climb after tacks and small nails were tossed on the road. Tour officials asked police to investigate.

Defending champion Cadel Evans was caught in the havoc. He had to wait three times for assistance. He lost nearly two minutes at one point before teammates arrived and gave the former world champion a rear wheel.

But Wiggins honored cycling etiquette by not attempting to capitalize on Evans’ misfortune. He urged the peloton to slow down to allow Evans to return to the pack. Wiggins and Evans finished in the same time — 18 minutes, 15 seconds behind Luis Leon Sanchez of Spain, who won the 119-mile, 14th stage between Limoux and Foix.

“What can you do? It’s something we can’t control,” Wiggins said, referring to the sabotage that could have led to a reshuffle of the standings.

“There’s nothing stopping more of that sort of stuff happening. It’s sad. Those are the type of things we have to put up with as cyclists. I think people take that for granted sometimes, just how close they can get to us. If that happened in a football stadium, or wherever, you’d be arrested.”

From time to time, stray dogs or photograph-snapping fans get hit by speeding riders. On Friday, Wiggins was hit on the arm and received minor burns from a flare waved by a spectator. Three years ago, Oscar Freire and Julien Dean were hit by pellets from an air rifle.

“We’re out there, quite vulnerable at times, very close to the public on climbs,” Wiggins said. “We’re just the riders at the end of the day and we’re there to be shot at, literally.”

Speaking on French TV, race director Jean-Francois Pescheux commended Sky for encouraging the pack to not speed ahead. He said the search for the culprit would be difficult because thousands of fans were on the edge of the road.

“This could have had terrible consequences on a descent like that,” Tour director Christian Prudhomme said. “This is dangerous and stupid behavior.”
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

You'd think security along the course would be pretty good so something like this can't happen?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
You'd think security along the course would be pretty good so something like this can't happen?
The Tour has a tradition -- they say you can get right up to the riders. It would never work here.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
The Tour has a tradition -- they say you can get right up to the riders. It would never work here.
I remember watching fans dress in costume and run next to the riders. This kind of idiocrsy kills it for the real fans. Now they'll probably have to watch with binoculars in the near future
Old 07-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I remember watching fans dress in costume and run next to the riders. This kind of idiosy kills it for the real fans. Now they'll probably have to watch with binoculars in the near future
One dude is using the Tour to sell his clean bottle product which is a great idea because you can unscrew both sides to clean the bottles but to get his free advertising he dresses up in a bottle costume and runs with the race mostly on mountain stages.

I like the dude and his product and follow him on facebook. He runs but does not get in the way of the cyclists.

That said I have noticed a bunch of idiots that keep trying to run with the leaders or along the Peloton, usually running in speedos and carrying a flag getting pulled out of the way buy other fans that under stand the sportsmanship about the Tour and are afraid that a runner could take a cyclist out or 2 or 30...

A couple Cyclisits have had run in's with fans standing too close. The Organizers are going to need to move the fans back from the mountain finish for king of the mountains or sprint stages and back them off the shoulder or even back down like 100 meters before or 100 meters behind. just to keep the sprint for green jersey and King of mountinans fair.

Very sad because Evans needed to make an attack around that time in order to cut in to Brad Wiggens lead.

The thing is in the early stages there were so many crashes that took out a ton of good riders and things kinda leveled out once they hit the Alps but once they hit the top of the col of the last Alp mountain some douche tossed tacks and nails hoping to wreck havock which kinda failed because the peloton waited for Evans and his team to return to the Peloton and ride in to the stage finish together.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
rideco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I have been watching the tour on and off since the years of Greg LeMond its just the way it is. It does work here btw and if you watched the Pro Cycling challenge last year you would have seen plenty of local dopes running along side of the riders too. I just hope they stick to just painting up the road here in CO and we dont see anything stupid out of the local race fans.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideco View Post
I have been watching the tour on and off since the years of Greg LeMond its just the way it is. It does work here btw and if you watched the Pro Cycling challenge last year you would have seen plenty of local dopes running along side of the riders too. I just hope they stick to just painting up the road here in CO and we dont see anything stupid out of the local race fans.
I meant to say "it would never work here if we cared at all about cycling."
Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Riders can also raid any business they want along the route.

Bon courage riders!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
lolcopter

loleuropeans
Old 07-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Bacchus

Sad Day?? I think it's funny as hell. About time someone makes that sport interesting. Now if they add a fire pit along the way I'll watch.