The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default OT- Extinctions of Wildlife

Came across this article yesterday http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21...-boost-wyoming and it got me thinking about exactly how many extinctions we've seen in North America.

If it wasn't for Yellowstone being created back in 1904 the Bison would have been extinct. There was just a lone herd of 100 left alive. Same as the Trumpeter Swan in the above article. Yellowstone was one of their last refuges, I guess.

The Timber wolf was hunted to extinction, the carrier pigeon, the Eastern elk also was hunted to extinction. River otters were recently reintroduced into Colorado because they had been trapped out of existence (not extincted totally, only locally). Lynx had to be reintroduced to Colorado recently also. Wolverine used to roam the Colorado high country, none have officially been sighted since 1949.

It's gotdang sad seeing a species wiped out by us, or locally wiped out. A buddy of mine was whining about a lynx circling his tent when he was out hunting elk. He's a family member so I didn't laugh in his face. Really? You're out hunting elk with a 30.06 and you're worried about a 50 lb lynx? What's it gonna do, steal a rabbit from you? Dude's an idiot, he figured he should be able to shoot it just because.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Jay3

The extinctions should be sorted into "tasty" and "not tasty."
Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

PBS here in Chicago has been replaying the Ken Burns National Parks mini series and I rewatched the one on Yellowstone/Yosemite/Mesa Verde last night.

It is sad that a country as big and vast as ours could systematically hunt species to extinction in under 20 years. Imagine waiting 3 hours for a herd of Buffalo to pass the train tracks!

The thing that struck me most was how we almost lost the Enchanted forest because people wanted to grind up the petrified logs for abrasives or hunt for quartz and make a quick couple bucks with no regard for any future generations.

One of the reasons I feel so strong about Manned spaceflight is discovering resources in other places in our solar system so we can keep the Earth's resources in tact for the future.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

The Wolf numbers are totally out of control in Yellowstone. They need to be hunted back to extinction.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Came across this article yesterday http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21...-boost-wyoming and it got me thinking about exactly how many extinctions we've seen in North America.

If it wasn't for Yellowstone being created back in 1904 the Bison would have been extinct. There was just a lone herd of 100 left alive. Same as the Trumpeter Swan in the above article. Yellowstone was one of their last refuges, I guess.

The Timber wolf was hunted to extinction, the carrier pigeon, the Eastern elk also was hunted to extinction. River otters were recently reintroduced into Colorado because they had been trapped out of existence (not extincted totally, only locally). Lynx had to be reintroduced to Colorado recently also. Wolverine used to roam the Colorado high country, none have officially been sighted since 1949.

It's gotdang sad seeing a species wiped out by us, or locally wiped out. A buddy of mine was whining about a lynx circling his tent when he was out hunting elk. He's a family member so I didn't laugh in his face. Really? You're out hunting elk with a 30.06 and you're worried about a 50 lb lynx? What's it gonna do, steal a rabbit from you? Dude's an idiot, he figured he should be able to shoot it just because.
Who cares about wildlife just pump that oil b1tch!!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

my big issue with people is the fact they feel they need to control everything. nature did fine for millions of years yet now people feel they need to control their outside environment because "theres too many" or species is growing unsustainably. you think nature cant fix that issue over time?

not to mention poachers and ignorance especially in areas like china and africa where animals get hunted to extinction because they have mystical magical properties.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
The Wolf numbers are totally out of control in Yellowstone. They need to be hunted back to extinction.
bada bing.

Unfortunately, the "smart ones" who re-introduced the wolves into the Rockies picked the wrong wolf to do it with.

Quote:
Natural selection theorizes some individuals will survive and reproduce more successfully than others in their current environment thereby creating a population well adapted to their environment. Canis lupus occidentalis and canis lupus columbianus are adapted to ecosystems far to the north of the American Rocky Mountains. They are a much larger subspecies than canis lupus irremotus and they hunt in much larger packs. Canis lupus irremotus usually hunted in packs of two animals. Canis lupus occidentalis is the wolf of the Alaska tundra. It is a super sized, super hunter that hunts in very large packs following the caribou herds across thousands of miles. How could anyone in their right mind introduce canis lupus occidentalis (Mackenzie Valley Wolf) into the lower 48 states
http://explorethebitterroot.com/the-...-over-our-eyes
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

No big deal guys. Just an anthropomorphic mass extinction of the grandest scale. Just homoecophagus metastasizing right in front of us and overtaking the earths natural defenses. Cities are tumors, roads are malignant veins, etc. Entropy. Despair. End of days.

Go Broncos!
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Grizzly Adams and Big Ben approve the contents of this thread.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
The extinctions should be sorted into "tasty" and "not tasty."
It always strikes me as odd when people find the destruction of that which makes our own existence possible amusing.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Yup, our society is filled with complete morons. There is no regard for animal life today. Hunters think they are manly because they can kill a defenseless animal with a rifle lol and then post the pictures on Facebook. In most cases I'd rather have a human die instead of an animal lol. I guess people nowadays just stay inside checking status updates instead of enjoying nature and the outdoors.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
bada bing.

Unfortunately, the "smart ones" who re-introduced the wolves into the Rockies picked the wrong wolf to do it with.

That's the thing. You have humans "picking" what to save and what to kill. Basic example. In Colorado Rainbow trout are regulated and even protected in gold medal waters (meaning catch and release only). Go to WY and they want fisherman to kill Rainbow trout as they are trying to protect the Cutthroat trout.

I can sum it up like the song goes.

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.....
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

"I say let's take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

- Ripley
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
Yup, our society is filled with complete morons. There is no regard for animal life today. Hunters think they are manly because they can kill a defenseless animal with a rifle lol and then post the pictures on Facebook. In most cases I'd rather have a human die instead of an animal lol. I guess people nowadays just stay inside checking status updates instead of enjoying nature and the outdoors.

Charming.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

RIP Martha! Mmmmmm Pigeon wings!
Attached Images

cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
HighCountryBronco

Quote:
Hell yes!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
HighCountryBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Who cares about liberals just pump that oil b1tch!! DRILL BABY DRILL!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #18
HighCountryBronco

Quote:
You are a FUCHKING TOOL!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #19
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Oil rigs do hunt the **** out of a herd.

Also...oil saved the whales. Until crude oil was widely used for whale oil was used and whales were on the verge of extinction so crude oil saved more whales than those knuckle dragging slap***** on Whale Wars ever have.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Hell, I haven't shot a critter in years but I am putting in for all my tags this year because of you. Thanks.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #21
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Yeesh. But it's rugbythug, so not a surprise. What else do you think should be hunted to extinction?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #22
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
bada bing.

Yeah, well, they didn't have a lot of choices did they since local populations were wiped out.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #23
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCountryBronco View Post
Who cares about liberals just pump that oil b1tch!! DRILL BABY DRILL!
You sound like one of those guys who drives a giant "American made" (read Chinese) truck and buys gobs of middle eastern oil to support your dim witted notion that the "American Dream" means pissing wherever you want.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post
"I say let's take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

- Ripley
******* A

-Pvt. Hudson
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #25
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Oil rigs do hunt the **** out of a herd.

Also...oil saved the whales. Until crude oil was widely used for whale oil was used and whales were on the verge of extinction so crude oil saved more whales than those knuckle dragging slap***** on Whale Wars ever have.
I still use whale oil to heat/power my house. That's how I roll.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote