The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Turning into a kid again...

So I'm in the checkout at the store picking up some stuff for a camping trip I'm taking. As usual, I'm checking out all the little gadgets and mints and stuff they try to sell you on your way out the door. I usually pick up wintergreen Altoids for my little girl who is addicted to them like crack cocaine. Suddenly my eye catches a pack of football cards with Peyton Manning on the cover. Suddenly I'm warped back in time in my head - I'm a 12 year old standing in front of the pack like a gambler in front of a slot machine. It's a special pack with 40 cards in it, and I'm thinking this gives me 20% on landing a Peyton Manning Denver Broncos card. I haven't bought a pack of cards in almost two decades, but I'm standing there and I can't resist. It was sick how powerless I was.

I bought it. Didn't land a Peyton Manning, but I did nab a Champ Bailey and a Von Miller, so I consider it a win. But the problem is, I'm having gamblers shock right now. I know that If I buy another pack, I've got a good shot. If I buy two packs, I'm looking close to 50/50.

This is going to be a fun season.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,756

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

This is how it all starts.... JUNKIE
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,204

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I don't blame you. I have never collected that kind of stuff real seriously. However I do understand the significance considering what's coming.

This season will be historic. It might be good, bad, average, whatever - it will be historic any way it goes. I want to really enjoy it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
GoHAM
Ring of Famer
 
GoHAM's Avatar
 
36, now that's shabby!

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: County 5
Posts: 1,210

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
... Suddenly my eye catches a pack of football cards with Peyton Manning on the cover. Suddenly I'm warped back in time in my head - I'm a 12 year old standing in front of the pack like a gambler in front of a slot machine. It's a special pack with 40 cards in it, and I'm thinking this gives me 20% on landing a Peyton Manning Denver Broncos card. I haven't bought a pack of cards in almost two decades, but I'm standing there and I can't resist. It was sick how powerless I was...

This is going to be a fun season.
Totally took me back to 1985/1986 riding my Huffy BMX Lightning bike down to Silver's Drug Store every time I had $1.00 in my pocket. Buying 2 packs of Topps Football cards ( the ones with the green border and white yard markers around the outside) you know, the ones with the hard, stale stick of bubblegum. I'd buy 2-3 or however many I could afford and ride across the intersection to The Green. I'd find the nearest unoccupied bench or picnic table and rip open the first pack. I'd stuff the hard stick of bubble gum and index through the pack. Total crack high if I got a Bronco, yet oddly disappointed if the player was pictured in the white away jersey. Always hoped for an Elway but never got one that year. Did get a Bo Jackson Rookie card w/ the Raiders.

Man those are some good memories. Help Mrs. Davies next door raking the leaves and earn $2 for a good 2 hours of work, feeling like the king of the world! Just knowing you have essentially 4 unopened packs of Topps Football cards in your pocket. Magical.
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
GoHAM
Ring of Famer
 
GoHAM's Avatar
 
36, now that's shabby!

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: County 5
Posts: 1,210

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein
Default

Also, I'm so glad I have season tickets to witness this memorable season (the only redeeming quality of McKid, his ineptitude cut down my season ticket waiting time by 5 years).
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,542
Default

As you get older, anything you can do to rekindle the feelings of childhood should be embraced.

Life gets more hectic and serious as you get older, so it's good to find things that make you feel like a kid again.

When I was kid, I was a baseball and football card junkie and would spend any money I had on cards.

Getting together with your buds to trade cards and try and complete sets was a blast. The rush of opening a pack and getting that hot rookie or players from your team was a rush.

I still collected cards into the late 90s, but by that time, I concentrated on trying to collect every John Elway card made, which was easy in the early days, but by the mid 90s there were so many companies, insert cards, jersey cards, autographed cards etc....that is was impossible to collect them all.

I still have my entire collection, but haven't really looked at them in years.

I bet I have 400 different John Elway cards in albums. I have about 1/3 of a spare room filled to the ceiling with cards.

My most valuable cards are locked up in a safe to keep them from being stolen or damaged.

Mostly baseball and football, but some basketball as well. I was lucky enough to be in a test market when the 1986-1987 Fleer basketball cards were introduced and have a lot of rookie cards, including some Michael Jordan rookies that are worth quite a bit of money. They hadn't made basketball cards for a few years when that set was released, so it was the rookie card for a lot of players.

My John Elway collection is pretty awesome, but the influx of companies and insert cards diluted the market and kind of ruined the nostalgia for me.

If I got back into collecting, I would try and complete all the Denver Broncos card sets from 1960 to the early 90s or mid 90s before the market was saturated.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 07-13-2012 at 12:05 AM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,181

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

I know what you mean. Just one more Matt Cassel card and I can complete my voodoo shrine. Then The Ritual will begin.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
I know what you mean. Just one more Matt Cassel card and I can complete my voodoo shrine. Then The Ritual will begin.
I don't have any Matt Cassel cards, but I've got more Bill Kenney cards than Dwayne Bowe has dropped passes.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #9
driver
Pro Bowler
 
Second Oldest Bronco Fan

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Not where I want to be
Posts: 699

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
I know what you mean. Just one more Matt Cassel card and I can complete my voodoo shrine. Then The Ritual will begin.
So?
Bob, you're going to start sticking pins in you're Cassel card?
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Vegas_Bronco's Avatar
 
Fear is a lack of preparation.

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Now 64 Yards Out
Posts: 5,423

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHAM View Post
Totally took me back to 1985/1986 riding my Huffy BMX Lightning bike down to Silver's Drug Store every time I had $1.00 in my pocket. Buying 2 packs of Topps Football cards ( the ones with the green border and white yard markers around the outside) you know, the ones with the hard, stale stick of bubblegum. I'd buy 2-3 or however many I could afford and ride across the intersection to The Green. I'd find the nearest unoccupied bench or picnic table and rip open the first pack. I'd stuff the hard stick of bubble gum and index through the pack. Total crack high if I got a Bronco, yet oddly disappointed if the player was pictured in the white away jersey. Always hoped for an Elway. but never got one that year. Did get a Bo Jackson Rookie card w/ the Raiders.

Man those are some good memories. Help Mrs. Davies next door raking the leaves and earn $2 for a good 2 hours of work, feeling like the king of the world! Just knowing you have essentially 4 unopened packs of Topps Football cards in your pocket. Magical.
I went to california that summer and nike just released the BO KNOWS tee shirts...I was the coolest kid in school for about a week.

I think these cards were dispersed in regions...I had 6 Jerry Rice RCs and could never land that damn Bo Jackson. Awesome times.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Vegas_Bronco's Avatar
 
Fear is a lack of preparation.

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Now 64 Yards Out
Posts: 5,423

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1
Default

Go back TJ...but you cant buy more than 2 packs at a time. Go back. Way back...worth every penny and will definitely make the wife either roll her eyes or laugh which is an added bonus.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
So I'm in the checkout at the store picking up some stuff for a camping trip I'm taking. As usual, I'm checking out all the little gadgets and mints and stuff they try to sell you on your way out the door. I usually pick up wintergreen Altoids for my little girl who is addicted to them like crack cocaine. Suddenly my eye catches a pack of football cards with Peyton Manning on the cover. Suddenly I'm warped back in time in my head - I'm a 12 year old standing in front of the pack like a gambler in front of a slot machine. It's a special pack with 40 cards in it, and I'm thinking this gives me 20% on landing a Peyton Manning Denver Broncos card. I haven't bought a pack of cards in almost two decades, but I'm standing there and I can't resist. It was sick how powerless I was.

I bought it. Didn't land a Peyton Manning, but I did nab a Champ Bailey and a Von Miller, so I consider it a win. But the problem is, I'm having gamblers shock right now. I know that If I buy another pack, I've got a good shot. If I buy two packs, I'm looking close to 50/50.

This is going to be a fun season.

I'm going to blame you when I now buy a pack
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #13
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
As you get older, anything you can do to rekindle the feelings of childhood should be embraced.

Life gets more hectic and serious as you get older, so it's good to find things that make you feel like a kid again.

When I was kid, I was a baseball and football card junkie and would spend any money I had on cards.

Getting together with your buds to trade cards and try and complete sets was a blast. The rush of opening a pack and getting that hot rookie or players from your team was a rush.

I still collected cards into the late 90s, but by that time, I concentrated on trying to collect every John Elway card made, which was easy in the early days, but by the mid 90s there were so many companies, insert cards, jersey cards, autographed cards etc....that is was impossible to collect them all.

I still have my entire collection, but haven't really looked at them in years.

I bet I have 400 different John Elway cards in albums. I have about 1/3 of a spare room filled to the ceiling with cards.

My most valuable cards are locked up in a safe to keep them from being stolen or damaged.

Mostly baseball and football, but some basketball as well. I was lucky enough to be in a test market when the 1986-1987 Fleer basketball cards were introduced and have a lot of rookie cards, including some Michael Jordan rookies that are worth quite a bit of money. They hadn't made basketball cards for a few years when that set was released, so it was the rookie card for a lot of players.

My John Elway collection is pretty awesome, but the influx of companies and insert cards diluted the market and kind of ruined the nostalgia for me.

If I got back into collecting, I would try and complete all the Denver Broncos card sets from 1960 to the early 90s or mid 90s before the market was saturated.
High words of advice my baseball and Bronco friend, send those Jordan RC's to get professionally graded by PSA or BGS. If they grade out as 9.5's, thats $4,000+ in value per EACH rookie card.

I'm a card collector, but collecting now a days is no way near what it was 15+ years ago.
Now, there are boxes with 1 pack, 8-9 cards in the pack, that cost $400 or more. Now its all about autographs and sweet looking patch cards than it is building a complete set of Topps or whatever.

Back in 1999, I started to collect Champ Bailey, and its a thrill trying to obtain new cards of his. I'm currently looking at getting a patch/auto'd card of him in a Broncos uniform.

Also, retail packs are a bad way to go. Find a card shop and get packs/boxes there.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #14
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Awesome, TJ.

In April, my dad surprised me by letting me open boxes filled with all the cards I had. I thought they had got ruined or lost years ago, but I have pages, upon pages of Broncos cards, Ken Griffey Jr., and a lot of other of my favorite players. Also have a bunch of sports plaques. It's nice to get to relive the past. I'm going to go and visit my pops on Sunday and take another look.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Go back TJ...but you cant buy more than 2 packs at a time. Go back. Way back...worth every penny and will definitely make the wife either roll her eyes or laugh which is an added bonus.
I like the cut of your jib.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection
 
Natedogg's Avatar
 
You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Narcville, USA
Posts: 2,159

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry
Default

In the first pack I ever bought I got a Vance Johnson. 89 Topps I believe.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
ol#7
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

TJ, it sounds like you need a cold shower.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I don't have any Matt Cassel cards, but I've got more Bill Kenney cards than Dwayne Bowe has dropped passes.
that's a **** ton of drops errrrrr worthless cards
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #19
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 20,075

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

i have never understood the $ value on cards, who pays for them and why would someone pay big money for a card?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
High words of advice my baseball and Bronco friend, send those Jordan RC's to get professionally graded by PSA or BGS. If they grade out as 9.5's, thats $4,000+ in value per EACH rookie card.

I'm a card collector, but collecting now a days is no way near what it was 15+ years ago.
Now, there are boxes with 1 pack, 8-9 cards in the pack, that cost $400 or more. Now its all about autographs and sweet looking patch cards than it is building a complete set of Topps or whatever.

Back in 1999, I started to collect Champ Bailey, and its a thrill trying to obtain new cards of his. I'm currently looking at getting a patch/auto'd card of him in a Broncos uniform.

Also, retail packs are a bad way to go. Find a card shop and get packs/boxes there.

I got 2 MJ rookies in a pack once. Back then my grandfather told me to buy the basketball cards cause they made far less of them than other sports cards. Also had a barry bonds addiction. Would swipe up any card he had back then. Still remember a card shop owner tell me bonds would never be good, much less steal 30 bases 30 homers in one season. Then at the height of his career before the steroid allegations, I sold most of them for lots of cash.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs
Default

Walk away, TJ. Maybe we should set the intervention date now.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,718

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

I used to get a 3 pack of Topps back around 1975-79ish a couple times a month if I had any pocket money. I liked the see through 3 pack's because you got more cards and gum and you could see at least 3 of the cards and if you played with the package you might get a glimpse of a couple more. I wanted an Alzado card real bad for the longest time then ended up getting one when he was a raider and threw it out.

I kept getting a bunch of Bob Thomas's cards and ended up having to toss out like 10 of them one year because I needed the room, then about 5 years ago I ended up working at the same place his son worked and kicked myself for tossing all those out. I still had 5 left so I gave Bob one, had his son keep one, his son had Bob sign the others so I gave one to a co-worker, I kept one that he signed to me as John's dad which is very cool and I gave my brother one. Funny how fate works out. The one he signed to me is framed on my desk.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
i have never understood the $ value on cards, who pays for them and why would someone pay big money for a card?
You could say that about sports memorabilia or classic cars or artwork or anything, really.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 20,075

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
You could say that about sports memorabilia or classic cars or artwork or anything, really.
i feel that way about all of that... but i would drive the crap out of a classic car if i had it
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I used to get a 3 pack of Topps back around 1975-79ish a couple times a month if I had any pocket money. I liked the see through 3 pack's because you got more cards and gum and you could see at least 3 of the cards and if you played with the package you might get a glimpse of a couple more. I wanted an Alzado card real bad for the longest time then ended up getting one when he was a raider and threw it out.

I kept getting a bunch of Bob Thomas's cards and ended up having to toss out like 10 of them one year because I needed the room, then about 5 years ago I ended up working at the same place his son worked and kicked myself for tossing all those out. I still had 5 left so I gave Bob one, had his son keep one, his son had Bob sign the others so I gave one to a co-worker, I kept one that he signed to me as John's dad which is very cool and I gave my brother one. Funny how fate works out. The one he signed to me is framed on my desk.
Heh, that's classic. I seemed to get a friggin' Neil Lomax in every pack I bought from 1981 forward.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Denver Broncos