The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default Why do we love first person shooters so much?

Interesting read on Grantland today.... mostly about the new spec:the line game.

I guess there are some overtone themes to the game about what crosses the line and whatnot..

I admit I love shooter games, and even sick and twisted torture games...but why do i so much since we all know how sick all that is in real life?

does it help you blow off steam? why do you all play these games that continue to look more real every year?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Drunken.Broncoholic

I get dizzy with 1st person shooter games. I like GTA/uncharted style better. But now all the best games are in 1st person.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
thechamp

I like making pixels turn red.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Not into those games myself, so I'm unqualified to answer.

Except to state that, clearly, such games don't appeal to everybody.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Interesting read on Grantland today.... mostly about the new spec:the line game.

I guess there are some overtone themes to the game about what crosses the line and whatnot..

I admit I love shooter games, and even sick and twisted torture games...but why do i so much since we all know how sick all that is in real life?

does it help you blow off steam? why do you all play these games that continue to look more real every year?
Saw this article. Struck me as a pretentious over moralizing meandering thesis that takes 1,600 words too long to get to the damn point. But, guy's a writer and obviously can't help himself.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I like some shooter games, I am not a very good gamer and my timing and reactions are especially poor so I absolutely suck at platformers, sports and fighting games. I find shooters is the only game-type where I can play reasonably short games online and mask my poor control by using some brains and experience. I love strategy games and MMOs but there is no such thing as short games, if you only have half an hour to play you are not going to be able to play strategy games consistently and forget about an MMO raid or instance.

Also, shooting nazis calms me.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post

A few reasons:
1. intuitive interface that works in a comfortable setting (dual analog control).
2. skill based game play that suggests little time commitment required, but in reality is buried within a progression tree that keeps bringing you back for more.
3. very boiler plate settings that appeal to a wide audience, much like your 80's/90's action movies (same broad target audience as those movies, FYI).
4. social nature of online play without PC gamer elitism/commitment.

All fits in pretty well. They're basically popular for the same reasons as Diablo II and WoW but without the "geek" stigma attached.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

Video games are a way to escape reality, to do something you would never do in ordinary life. If you take that escape too far with FPSs and make it your reality it's a bad deal. Games always get blamed when someone goes off the deep end and shoots a bunch of people. Now if you play madden 20 hours a day and then one day put on a set of pads and a jersey and run over people in the mall you might get arrested for simple assault, put on the local news, and that's the end of it. No debate on what made you do it, but it's the same thing as the dude that shot up the mall right? He just played a different game.

For me the whole argument is stupid. If you can't separate reality from fantasy you were going off the deep end no matter what.

Now to the original question, why do we love FPSs so much? Man has been warring since the beginning. It's engrained in our DNA. Guns are fun, tactics appeal to our logical self, and fear of being shot/killed gets the adrenaline going....oh and it's not real! Anything that mixes awesome toys, intellectual stimulus, and adrenaline pumping action without actually dying/killing will be immensely popular.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I still have issues with some overt violence and cruelty. I am playing Mass Effect 3 through on my evil, female character to see the endings they added a few weeks ago. They really make her do some crappy stuff. I won't give away too much, but at one part you shot a beloved friend in the back and watch him die slowly. I really had a hard time making myself do it. I have a good character and I know the good outcome, I was mostly doing it to see the endings. I know the character isn't real. It's an assembly of binary and I'm creating fake emotions from fake people, but I still have a hard time doing it.

For me, shooters appeal to competitive nature and adrenaline rush or doing something like paintball without the physical exertion. The competitive aspect and the fact that someone can "win" adds to the satisfaction or payoff. It's a really good mix of things the male ego thrives on.

Does it help me blow off steam? I guess, but for me it's not the violence, it's the escape. I blow off as much steam playing RPG's.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Agamemnon

I used to love them. Not so much anymore.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I like the fast action of COD, you can jump on anytime and get in to a game.
Los Broncos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
Jay3

I don't like them much at all. I prefer a game that is more of a game, something that doesn't simulate walking around and looking at stuff. I like something a little more disconnected from reality.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Yeah I find myself less and less interested in them - I was a big fan of FPS a few years ago - like most things the interest wanes over time
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Kind of like the Broncos?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Our culture is obsessed with violence and death. My answer is right.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Kind of like the Broncos?