The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 13,799

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Adrian Peterson arrested

A little surprising - he doesn't seem like the resisting-arrest type.

Reportedly, after the incident, the Raiders called the Vikings to offer their next seven first-round picks for Peterson in a trade.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/81...ton-night-club

HOUSTON -- Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson was arrested on a charge of resisting arrest after an early-morning incident where police say it took three officers to subdue him.

More at link...
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,834
Default

Doesn't sound to me like he really needed to be tackled and arrested. They were just mad he didn't listen to them right away as they barked orders.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis
 
Broncobiv's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Doesn't sound to me like he really needed to be tackled and arrested. They were just mad he didn't listen to them right away as they barked orders.
How exactly did you come to any of those conclusions based on the linked article?
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis
 
Broncobiv's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,661
Default

The facts according to the article: the cop told Peterson's group to leave the club because it was closed. The cop then left to tell other patrons the same thing. When he came back to Peterson's group to ask them again, Peterson pushed the cop in the shoulder. He continued to resist when a second officer came in, and that is why it eventually took 3 cops to get him under control.

I don't understand, from that account, how you can claim that he "didn't need to be tackled and arrested" and that the cops were just mad that Peterson "didn't listen to them right away as they barked orders." Where did you come up with all of that? Since when was it OK to shove a cop?
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,834
Default

The article I read on Profootball talk said Peterson was walking out of the club, then tackled from behind.

Sorry here is the article from profootballtalk. I just read something different. The shoved a cop thing I didn't hear. I had already read an article on it and didn't get that from the ESPN story.
According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.
Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.
It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.
Peterson was charged with resisting arrest, which implies he was being arrested for something else. He is charged for now with no other crime.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,307
Default

It's probably because he didn't think that the rules everyone else follows don't apply to him or his group.
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
It's probably because he didn't think that the rules everyone else follows don't apply to him or his group.
wow
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer
 
Gcver2ver3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 6,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman
Default

i wasnt there so no way i can be sure...

but i wouldnt be in the least bit surprised if this was yet another example of overreaction by the police...

does anyone know whether the off duty officer identified himself as an officer before he was "shoved" by peterson?...

if not, then he probably came off as some schmuck shouting orders unneccessarily (although he may still have fit that description even if identified as a cop)...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis
 
Broncobiv's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The article I read on Profootball talk said Peterson was walking out of the club, then tackled from behind.

Sorry here is the article from profootballtalk. I just read something different. The shoved a cop thing I didn't hear. I had already read an article on it and didn't get that from the ESPN story.
According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.
Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.
It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.
Peterson was charged with resisting arrest, which implies he was being arrested for something else. He is charged for now with no other crime.
Now THAT is a totally different account of what happened! Thank for posting that one, too. It's amazing how two stories of the same incident can sound completely different! Who knows what really happened at this point...
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,906
Default

it sounds like he got a little upitty
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobiv View Post
Now THAT is a totally different account of what happened! Thank for posting that one, too. It's amazing how two stories of the same incident can sound completely different! Who knows what really happened at this point...
Here is my new opinion now that I saw both. Profootballtalk has more access to players friends and family, they posted the players and maybe the agents account. ESPN more corporate and probably went by police report? Just a guess. Still my personal experience says if cops not charging you with anything but resisting arrest, it often means they were aggressive and got angry with the person. Then their I am king personality kicks in and they decide to teach a lesson.

Who knows who to blame, but I just don't take the police for gospel anymore. I have watched them lie in court to many times.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,657

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Arrested for resisting arrest, but not for say, striking an officer or assault or disobeying a lawful order?


Officer Farva.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Doesn't sound to me like he really needed to be tackled and arrested. They were just mad he didn't listen to them right away as they barked orders.
Yeah whatever....he's bigger than alot of cops. Do what you're told, and the cops won't have to even lay their hands on you except to put cuffs on and protect your head when putting your ass in the patrol car.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride
 
For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,253

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Here is my new opinion now that I saw both. Profootballtalk has more access to players friends and family, they posted the players and maybe the agents account. ESPN more corporate and probably went by police report? Just a guess. Still my personal experience says if cops not charging you with anything but resisting arrest, it often means they were aggressive and got angry with the person. Then their I am king personality kicks in and they decide to teach a lesson.

Who knows who to blame, but I just don't take the police for gospel anymore. I have watched them lie in court to many times.
When dealing with the police, the only sensible responses are "Yes, sir" and "No, sir".

I'm not saying I like it, and I'm not saying it's 'fair'. It's just how you deal with situations with police without getting needlessly arrested.

I recently (last March) got hassled by a cop for running a red light.

I happened to be on foot at the time. Yes, that's right-- I was out for my morning run, at 5am, and ran-- on foot-- through a red light at an intersection. A cop zoomed up to me in his cruiser and started yelling, saying "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't write you a ticket NOW!"

I could've said "You've gotta be schidting me! Don't you have anything better to do?!?" But where would THAT have gotten me? Ticketed or worse, I'm afraid.

So I said "Yes, sir", and "No, sir" and "I'm sorry, officer", and he let me go.

Was he being reasonable? Not at all.

Would I have benefitted by making an issue of it? Uh... no.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama Baby
Posts: 6,502

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

Why do you need the police to instruct people to leave at a nightclub At closing time? Did the club call them in because people wouldn't leave? Could their own security people not get the job done?

This all sounds pretty stupid in my mind.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
sgbfan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The article I read on Profootball talk said Peterson was walking out of the club, then tackled from behind.

Sorry here is the article from profootballtalk. I just read something different. The shoved a cop thing I didn't hear. I had already read an article on it and didn't get that from the ESPN story.
According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.
Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.
It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.
Peterson was charged with resisting arrest, which implies he was being arrested for something else. He is charged for now with no other crime.
Gosh, not even cops can get it right. You can't try to go high or low on AD to take him down.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I hate cops. Especially cops down south. So I'm highly inclined to believe these guys wrongfully arrested Peterson and made up a story to cover their asses. It happens all the time, especially to black men in the south.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,445
Default

I find it very difficult to believe that he was walking orderly through an exit, and a police officer made a flying leap and tried to take him down from behind. Something is not quite right.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #19
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 20,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The article I read on Profootball talk said Peterson was walking out of the club, then tackled from behind.

Sorry here is the article from profootballtalk. I just read something different. The shoved a cop thing I didn't hear. I had already read an article on it and didn't get that from the ESPN story.
According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.
Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.
It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.
Peterson was charged with resisting arrest, which implies he was being arrested for something else. He is charged for now with no other crime.
That's the way they are reporting it here in Okla
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 'Dre View Post
When dealing with the police, the only sensible responses are "Yes, sir" and "No, sir".

I'm not saying I like it, and I'm not saying it's 'fair'. It's just how you deal with situations with police without getting needlessly arrested.

I recently (last March) got hassled by a cop for running a red light.

I happened to be on foot at the time. Yes, that's right-- I was out for my morning run, at 5am, and ran-- on foot-- through a red light at an intersection. A cop zoomed up to me in his cruiser and started yelling, saying "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't write you a ticket NOW!"

I could've said "You've gotta be schidting me! Don't you have anything better to do?!?" But where would THAT have gotten me? Ticketed or worse, I'm afraid.

So I said "Yes, sir", and "No, sir" and "I'm sorry, officer", and he let me go.

Was he being reasonable? Not at all.

Would I have benefitted by making an issue of it? Uh... no.
It depends on what you value more, between money and pride.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama Baby
Posts: 6,502

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I hate cops. Especially cops down south. So I'm highly inclined to believe these guys wrongfully arrested Peterson and made up a story to cover their asses. It happens all the time, especially to black men in the south.
Oh stfu, no it does not.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride
 
For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,253

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
It depends on what you value more, between money and pride.
And the value you put on having-- or NOT having-- a criminal record.

I would have my professional license suspended for a felony.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #23
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
wow
He did say didn't think, which means he thought the rules did apply to him. Not sure why the cops arrested him since he thought the rules applied to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
It's probably because he didn't think that the rules everyone else follows don't apply to him or his group.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #24
dsmoot
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Gosh, not even cops can get it right. You can't try to go high or low on AD to take him down.
No, you go for his ACL. Not serious. The "yes sir" "no sir", total compliance attitude is the only way to go. Most of us have run into the authorities who bring the "attitude" onto the job and want to show us who they are. Many are just doing a good job that can be unpleasant at times because of those of us that they encounter.

Yes, some will lie. However, at the end of day, when its my word against theirs, I will lose. Keep your encounters polite, short and get away from the fewer "not so good" guys. Be thankful for the majority who don't get paid enough, that do a good job and want to keep the peace for all of us.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #25
dsmoot
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Oh stfu, no it does not.
I would differ with you slightly. It does not happen ALL the time. It does happen often enough through profiling that it is disturbing to me. Especially when I have heard the stories first hand.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Denver Broncos