The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Adrian Peterson arrested

A little surprising - he doesn't seem like the resisting-arrest type.

Reportedly, after the incident, the Raiders called the Vikings to offer their next seven first-round picks for Peterson in a trade.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/81...ton-night-club

HOUSTON -- Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson was arrested on a charge of resisting arrest after an early-morning incident where police say it took three officers to subdue him.

More at link...
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Doesn't sound to me like he really needed to be tackled and arrested. They were just mad he didn't listen to them right away as they barked orders.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Doesn't sound to me like he really needed to be tackled and arrested. They were just mad he didn't listen to them right away as they barked orders.
How exactly did you come to any of those conclusions based on the linked article?
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

The facts according to the article: the cop told Peterson's group to leave the club because it was closed. The cop then left to tell other patrons the same thing. When he came back to Peterson's group to ask them again, Peterson pushed the cop in the shoulder. He continued to resist when a second officer came in, and that is why it eventually took 3 cops to get him under control.

I don't understand, from that account, how you can claim that he "didn't need to be tackled and arrested" and that the cops were just mad that Peterson "didn't listen to them right away as they barked orders." Where did you come up with all of that? Since when was it OK to shove a cop?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The article I read on Profootball talk said Peterson was walking out of the club, then tackled from behind.

Sorry here is the article from profootballtalk. I just read something different. The shoved a cop thing I didn't hear. I had already read an article on it and didn't get that from the ESPN story.
According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.
Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.
It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.
Peterson was charged with resisting arrest, which implies he was being arrested for something else. He is charged for now with no other crime.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

It's probably because he didn't think that the rules everyone else follows don't apply to him or his group.
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
It's probably because he didn't think that the rules everyone else follows don't apply to him or his group.
wow
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

i wasnt there so no way i can be sure...

but i wouldnt be in the least bit surprised if this was yet another example of overreaction by the police...

does anyone know whether the off duty officer identified himself as an officer before he was "shoved" by peterson?...

if not, then he probably came off as some schmuck shouting orders unneccessarily (although he may still have fit that description even if identified as a cop)...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
The article I read on Profootball talk said Peterson was walking out of the club, then tackled from behind.

Sorry here is the article from profootballtalk. I just read something different. The shoved a cop thing I didn't hear. I had already read an article on it and didn't get that from the ESPN story.
According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.
Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.
It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.
Peterson was charged with resisting arrest, which implies he was being arrested for something else. He is charged for now with no other crime.
Now THAT is a totally different account of what happened! Thank for posting that one, too. It's amazing how two stories of the same incident can sound completely different! Who knows what really happened at this point...
Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

it sounds like he got a little upitty
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobiv View Post
Now THAT is a totally different account of what happened! Thank for posting that one, too. It's amazing how two stories of the same incident can sound completely different! Who knows what really happened at this point...
Here is my new opinion now that I saw both. Profootballtalk has more access to players friends and family, they posted the players and maybe the agents account. ESPN more corporate and probably went by police report? Just a guess. Still my personal experience says if cops not charging you with anything but resisting arrest, it often means they were aggressive and got angry with the person. Then their I am king personality kicks in and they decide to teach a lesson.

Who knows who to blame, but I just don't take the police for gospel anymore. I have watched them lie in court to many times.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Arrested for resisting arrest, but not for say, striking an officer or assault or disobeying a lawful order?

Officer Farva.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Yeah whatever....he's bigger than alot of cops. Do what you're told, and the cops won't have to even lay their hands on you except to put cuffs on and protect your head when putting your ass in the patrol car.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Here is my new opinion now that I saw both. Profootballtalk has more access to players friends and family, they posted the players and maybe the agents account. ESPN more corporate and probably went by police report? Just a guess. Still my personal experience says if cops not charging you with anything but resisting arrest, it often means they were aggressive and got angry with the person. Then their I am king personality kicks in and they decide to teach a lesson.

Who knows who to blame, but I just don't take the police for gospel anymore. I have watched them lie in court to many times.
When dealing with the police, the only sensible responses are "Yes, sir" and "No, sir".

I'm not saying I like it, and I'm not saying it's 'fair'. It's just how you deal with situations with police without getting needlessly arrested.

I recently (last March) got hassled by a cop for running a red light.

I happened to be on foot at the time. Yes, that's right-- I was out for my morning run, at 5am, and ran-- on foot-- through a red light at an intersection. A cop zoomed up to me in his cruiser and started yelling, saying "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't write you a ticket NOW!"

I could've said "You've gotta be schidting me! Don't you have anything better to do?!?" But where would THAT have gotten me? Ticketed or worse, I'm afraid.

So I said "Yes, sir", and "No, sir" and "I'm sorry, officer", and he let me go.

Was he being reasonable? Not at all.

Would I have benefitted by making an issue of it? Uh... no.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #15
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Why do you need the police to instruct people to leave at a nightclub At closing time? Did the club call them in because people wouldn't leave? Could their own security people not get the job done?

This all sounds pretty stupid in my mind.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Gosh, not even cops can get it right. You can't try to go high or low on AD to take him down.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Agamemnon

I hate cops. Especially cops down south. So I'm highly inclined to believe these guys wrongfully arrested Peterson and made up a story to cover their asses. It happens all the time, especially to black men in the south.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

I find it very difficult to believe that he was walking orderly through an exit, and a police officer made a flying leap and tried to take him down from behind. Something is not quite right.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #19
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:

That's the way they are reporting it here in Okla
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 'Dre View Post
When dealing with the police, the only sensible responses are "Yes, sir" and "No, sir".

I'm not saying I like it, and I'm not saying it's 'fair'. It's just how you deal with situations with police without getting needlessly arrested.

I recently (last March) got hassled by a cop for running a red light.

I happened to be on foot at the time. Yes, that's right-- I was out for my morning run, at 5am, and ran-- on foot-- through a red light at an intersection. A cop zoomed up to me in his cruiser and started yelling, saying "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't write you a ticket NOW!"

I could've said "You've gotta be schidting me! Don't you have anything better to do?!?" But where would THAT have gotten me? Ticketed or worse, I'm afraid.

So I said "Yes, sir", and "No, sir" and "I'm sorry, officer", and he let me go.

Was he being reasonable? Not at all.

Would I have benefitted by making an issue of it? Uh... no.
It depends on what you value more, between money and pride.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I hate cops. Especially cops down south. So I'm highly inclined to believe these guys wrongfully arrested Peterson and made up a story to cover their asses. It happens all the time, especially to black men in the south.
Oh stfu, no it does not.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
It depends on what you value more, between money and pride.
And the value you put on having-- or NOT having-- a criminal record.

I would have my professional license suspended for a felony.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #23
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
wow
He did say didn't think, which means he thought the rules did apply to him. Not sure why the cops arrested him since he thought the rules applied to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #24
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Gosh, not even cops can get it right. You can't try to go high or low on AD to take him down.
No, you go for his ACL. Not serious. The "yes sir" "no sir", total compliance attitude is the only way to go. Most of us have run into the authorities who bring the "attitude" onto the job and want to show us who they are. Many are just doing a good job that can be unpleasant at times because of those of us that they encounter.

Yes, some will lie. However, at the end of day, when its my word against theirs, I will lose. Keep your encounters polite, short and get away from the fewer "not so good" guys. Be thankful for the majority who don't get paid enough, that do a good job and want to keep the peace for all of us.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #25
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Oh stfu, no it does not.
I would differ with you slightly. It does not happen ALL the time. It does happen often enough through profiling that it is disturbing to me. Especially when I have heard the stories first hand.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote