The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Default Amazing Spider-Man: Or, how I know that Superhero films are no longer marketed to me.

So, I guess I'm pretty much in the minority on this one. Everything I have seen about the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man reboot has just left me cold. I really can't get into yet another retelling of the Spider-Man origin only 10 years after the last one. From, the cinematography, to the Lizard designs, to Andrew Garfield's emo kid hang-dog face. I just can't get into it.

I also don't get why we needed to see Spider-Man's origin again. Origin movies tend to be the least interesting part of a Superhero story. Batman Begins really only worked because we had never really seen the gestation of the character on screen before. Now that we have, I really don't feel the need to ever see it again, especially this quickly.

So, I'm just curious how out-numbered I am on this one. The Amazing Spider-man was a complete dud for me. One I have no interest in revisiting. You are welcome to begin disagreeing below.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

The Amazing Spider-man was a complete dud for me.

I think you should specify that the "idea" of it was a dud for you, but not necessarily the movie itself, since you won't see it.

I caught it yesterday with my dad and son. I loved it. Completely different take on the "origin" of Spiderman from the Raimi version. Very true to the comics IMO. Right amount of action and story line. And the acting was FAR superior.

The only thing I didn't like was the 3-D. And I'm a huge fan of 3-D done right. Prometheus nailed it. Spiderman came up short, until the final act, more or less.

4 out of 5 stars for me. Though I tend to be an easy grader when it comes to superhero movies.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
The Amazing Spider-man was a complete dud for me.

I think you should specify that the "idea" of it was a dud for you, but not necessarily the movie itself, since you won't see it.

I caught it yesterday with my dad and son. I loved it. Completely different take on the "origin" of Spiderman from the Raimi version. Very true to the comics IMO. Right amount of action and story line. And the acting was FAR superior.

The only thing I didn't like was the 3-D. And I'm a huge fan of 3-D done right. Prometheus nailed it. Spiderman came up short, until the final act, more or less.

4 out of 5 stars for me. Though I tend to be an easy grader when it comes to superhero movies.
3D is overrated imo...
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
3D is overrated imo...
A lot of people hate it, so I wouldn't necessarily say it's overrated. It's extremely subjective and personal. Where it's done well, by a director who knows what he's doing, it can definitely enhance the movie. Where it's done poorly, by a director who doesn't take the time to do it right, it's a waste of time and can actually hurt the movie.

Some love it and some hate it no matter how well or poorly it's done. That's fine. Nobody is right or wrong here. It's all personal preference.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
So, I guess I'm pretty much in the minority on this one. Everything I have seen about the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man reboot has just left me cold. I really can't get into yet another retelling of the Spider-Man origin only 10 years after the last one. From, the cinematography, to the Lizard designs, to Andrew Garfield's emo kid hang-dog face. I just can't get into it.

I also don't get why we needed to see Spider-Man's origin again. Origin movies tend to be the least interesting part of a Superhero story. Batman Begins really only worked because we had never really seen the gestation of the character on screen before. Now that we have, I really don't feel the need to ever see it again, especially this quickly.

So, I'm just curious how out-numbered I am on this one. The Amazing Spider-man was a complete dud for me. One I have no interest in revisiting. You are welcome to begin disagreeing below.
I left exactly the same way….but I got pulled into seeing the movie and really liked it…

It was very well done. The kid that played Spidey was better than Toby.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I bet it is a terrible movie, just like the last bunch of them.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The last bunch of what? Spiderman movies? Spiderman 2 was universally considered the best comic book movie of all time when it was released. 3 by and large sucked, but that's just one dud out of three.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
You would be wrong...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Interesting to see such negative "reviews" of a movie that the criticizers haven't watched yet.

I haven't seen yet either, but I really want to. I'm gonna withhold judgement until then ;-)
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
uplink
Ring of Famer

when I was a kid reading the spiderman comics I was so bored when they had a segment referring to the origin story and the uncles death. So I hated it even 10 years ago, no way I want to watch it again.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
You would be wrong...
Let me go get into my Spider-Man underwear and costume, maybe it will change my mind. On the flip side, one of my supervisors has the first edition Spider-Man comic. Worth a butt ton. Want to buy it?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

mehh...whatever. I thought spiderman 2 was boring.

The Avengers was fun and so where the two Iron Man movies. Other than that, yawn.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Went to see it Tuesday and while I am a big Spider Man fan, the Rami movies left me forcing myself to say how good it was. I did like Spider Man 2 a lot, but overall, I remember leaving the theatre thinking, eh, that was ok. Toby sucked as SpiderMan. I never liked him and felt like they casted terribly (Kristen Dunce as MJ? Yeah... might as well have casted Mr. Ed).

The Amazing SpiderMan, however, had far superior acting and I felt told a great story. It didn't have your cheesy "With great power..." speach, which with how the movie was told, would have been forced. The Guy who plays PP was VERY believable and it had the right amount of comedy, action, plot, and seriousness.

The Lizard was great too, and they avoided making him a stumbling, moronic bulky bad guy who gets beat by his own lack of brains. At one point, I felt like a 10 year old again, thinking, Wow, I don't know how SpiderMan is going to beat him.

If you can get past the 'emo face' of the kid who plays PP, and realize he is suppossed to be emotional, you know, being a confused 16-18 year old kid with no parents, it's an awesome movie.

Overall, outside of the Dark Knight series, best comic movie of all time, IMO.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

the previews alone for me have been more interesting than the entire Raimi trilogy.

they went with the Ditko version of Lizard which i think is pretty cool

Webb actually cast an attractive leading lady instead of the fugly chicks Raimi always had a penchant for.

they got his web shooters right. never liked that they came out of his wrists in the other trilogy.

the sarcastic tone of Spider-Man is used. i don't know if Raimi wasn't interested in making Spider-Man like that in his trilogy or if Tobey just wasn't a good enough actor to do it.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
I left exactly the same way….but I got pulled into seeing the movie and really liked it…

It was very well done. The kid that played Spidey was better than Toby.
To be honest, I am pretty sure my dads Labrador could be a better spiderman than Toby.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i haven't gone to seen it yet but from the previews it looks decidedly less campy and more of a dark telling of the story.
i prefer the dark and geared more toward the adult type of super hero movies.

granted any super hero movie isn't truly geared toward the full on adults because the nature of super heroes is designed to fascinate children and teens. but bringing it into more of a contemporary setting with less cheesy issues helps.

this is why so many like the Dark Knight trilogy by Nolan and the Marvel films currently being made.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Let me go get into my Spider-Man underwear and costume, maybe it will change my mind. On the flip side, one of my supervisors has the first edition Spider-Man comic. Worth a butt ton. Want to buy it?
I'm not at all a comic book guy….don't care about them.

I wanted nothing to do with this movie….but after actually seeing it I was surprised. It was a really good flick…
Old 07-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

All these comments sound like David Ettlestein's(sp?) review on CBS's Sunday Morning.

He also didn't see the need for another Spider Man reboot so soon after the last batch but ended up liking the flick.

Personally I am tired of comic book movies but they are good for Hollywood because most of the US made flicks are just like Comics.

I will watch it when I get it on reserve from the Library.

I did go and see Brave with the Family because it was too hot to do anything else yesterday. I thought it was well rendered but lacking in substance. I thought the spell was underwritten and kinda lame. I was hoping I would like it more the more I thought about it but I haven't.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think origin movies are the best.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
3D is overrated imo...
I bought a 3d sony tv...its overrated for adults. But my nieces and nephews do get a big kick out of it
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #21
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I received a phone call at roughly 12:00 PM (CST) and will be attending this movie. We will see how it goes.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I saw it on Tuesday at an IMAX theatre in 3D. I thought it was a great experience overall.

I'd give it 3-stars out of 5. It just didn't wow me. I thought the plot was fine, right up to the whole part about gasing the entire town and starting a new race of superior lizzard beings. Pretty stupid actually.

It also took me a while to warm up to the kid....being 6ft and a buck twenty soaking wet.

It was good...but, really just another spiderman movie...nothing spectacular in my opinion.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

****ing spoilers brohamrob!

I was very meh on this... but Andrew Garfield is one of the better young actors out there... so I'm considering checking it out.

Ted was disappointing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #24
CHANGSTER
You are a pizza burn...

on the roof of the world's mouth

I thought it was great. This Peter Parker is a hell of a lot more Peter Parker than toby. Look and personality. And more likable.
CHANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #25
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

surprised on anyone not liking spiderman 2... that was easily one of the best comic movies ever made coming into this year...

i am being told that this amazing spiderman is good to go... we'll see... i will be checking it out this weekend or sooner probably...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote