The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rule

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default Trevor Semian vs Brock Osweiler: First 8 games

It looks like both QBs produced identical numbers for the first 8 starts. Brock appears to have passed for a significant amount of more yards and a higher average per pass (7.2 yards vs 6.9 for TS). Both completed 61% of their passes and Brock threw 2 more TDs but also had 2 more INTs. Trevor Semian is averaging roughly 212 passing yards per game. Brock was averaging roughly 245 yards per game. Both have a very similar QB rating; Brock is 86.4 and Trevor Semian is 87.1. Also Brock was sacked 23 times compared to Semian at 11. This tells me Trevor Semian had better protection and I think we all agree the addition of Russel Okung and Donald Stephenson were good additions.

Basically, both QBs show the same numbers and to be clear, Brock has actually 7 games of data and Semian 6.5 (half a game for TB). Brock has a half a start against SD and came in against Chiefs so that makes 7 and not 8 total games, so I believe the data of both QBs is adequate for comparison.
I also believe both QBs are playing the system and produced identical numbers with slight variance. It could be said that Brock beat a better opponent in the Patriots than the Texans. Brock also threw it down the field more, which should be taken into account as this will always bring more risk (INTs, incomplete passes that affect QB rating).

My conclusion is that you have to be careful evaluating QBs when they playing for championship teams with QB friendly systems. We know that the broncos defense is great and that on another team even Brock is struggling (Texans still have a good defense). So the numbers in the first 8 games for both QBs really are a product of the Kubiak system in my opinion. This makes both QBs better than they really are statisically and we are seeing that right now with Brock Osweiler in Houston. I would also come away with the conclusion that Brock is slightly a better prospect based on these numbers and the level of competition he played. Trevor Semian really does not push the envelope much and this can mask deficiencies. We really have not seen Trevor Semian sling the ball around much if at all in a game.

Trevor Semian:
Name:  Trevor Semian 2016.GIF
Views: 590
Size:  167.5 KB

Brock Osweiler:
Name:  brock Osweiler 2015 8 games.GIF
Views: 587
Size:  117.0 KB

Last edited by Coldcity76; 10-30-2016 at 07:51 PM..
Coldcity76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
BroncosfanGuy
don't drink and post

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

nice move, Elway. wnet with the 3rd stringer who is cheaper and has performed better thus far
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
BroncoFox
Cheervixen

If I have fleas.. they are happy.

You forgot to add a line for salaries.

Keep in mind.. if Brock had stayed, we'd not have signed several players to the deals we did. Saying "We kept Trevor instead of Brock and only saved like.. 16 million this year.. and they are playing identically.." isn't building any sort of case here.
BroncoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
anon
Perennial Pro-bowler

Isn't All Day Breakfast the best thing ever?
anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
Bronx33
lets go partner

Camaraderie-ship for all

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von

yeah! another trevor thread by coldcock/twat waffle.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #6
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Also not factoring in salaries.

With Brock, we dont have some of the players Elway signed to extensions like Sanders/Marshall.

We'd have little cap room going forward.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rule

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

I agree if you take into account salaries the broncos made a great move as they likely would of got the same production.

But at some point looking ahead the broncos need to decide if pedestrian QB play is what they are looking for?

I would be shocked of the broncos think they can win like they did last year. That is not a winning formula.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
I agree if you take into account salaries the broncos made a great move as they likely would of got the same production.

But at some point looking ahead the broncos need to decide if pedestrian QB play is what they are looking for?

I would be shocked of the broncos think they can win like they did last year. That is not a winning formula.

Superbowl 50 disagrees with you.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #9
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rule

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
yeah! another trevor thread by coldcock/twat waffle.
So if TS has the same numbers as brock Abeit slightly less better at throwing downfield does this tell us anything by TS potential as an NFL QB?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #10
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rule

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Superbowl 50 disagrees with you.

Really? That is the exception rather than the rule. So you are incorrect about that unless you have data to support the likelihood that you can win super bowls by having pedestrian QB play.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Trump is human garbage

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

What the **** is the point of this garbage? Osweiler was too expensive for what he is. Siemian is cheap as hell. They are basically equal as players. Logic says we are better off. The question is whether or not Lynch would give the offense a spark or not, or whether or not we should be giving him the developmental playing time instead of to a 7th round nobody.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Really? That is the exception rather than the rule. So you are incorrect about that unless you have data to support the likelihood that you can win super bowls by having pedestrian QB play.

The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The 2000 Ravens. 2001 Patriots.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #13
bombay
Ring of Famer

**** you. If he wins I'm happy, if he loses not so much. No love or hate involved. OP is a ****ing piece of ****.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #14
Vottomatic19
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Coldcity's conclusion is that, ignore everything I wrote and all the stats of both QBs, Trevor Siemian sucks because he plays in a QB friendly system.
Vottomatic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I love how stressed out OP gets.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #16
Vottomatic19
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

If only they had invested a high pick at QB in the draft...........
Vottomatic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Booker

Quote:

Thats not exactly proving him wrong. Bucs and Ravens were the exception to the norm. Today's NFL is gift wrapping offenses presents. Did you watch the safety completely stop himself from hitting Sanders on that pass? A few years ago Sanders would've been blasted on that play. Today's NFL caters to offenses.

Obviously Kubiak and Co. didn't think they could win that way, otherwise Manning would've never been asked to come off the bench. Doesn Brock go on to win the SD game and SB? IMO he doesn't get out of the Steelers game.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #18
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Thats not exactly proving him wrong. Bucs and Ravens were the exception to the norm. Today's NFL is gift wrapping offenses presents. Did you watch the safety completely stop himself from hitting Sanders on that pass? A few years ago Sanders would've been blasted on that play. Today's NFL caters to offenses.

Obviously Kubiak and Co. didn't think they could win that way, otherwise Manning would've never been asked to come off the bench. Doesn Brock go on to win the SD game and SB? IMO he doesn't get out of the Steelers game.

Could go back further, like the first two Steeler teams. And Coldcity asked for examples. I gave them. You cannot exactly say the Ravens, Patriots or Bucs were quarterback centered teams, or that their quarterbacks played exceptionally well. And keep in mind, the 2000 Ravens, 2001 Patriots and 2002 Bucs were before the Brady rule or the Manning rule or putting skirts on quarterbacks. All three won with defense and the run...which is what the Broncos did in 2015.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #19
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You spend so much time on this bull**** that doesn't matter. Are you hoping that Kubes just happens across one of these horrific threads and says, "you know what? Coldjunk has a good point here, I'm gonna throw Lynch into the fire."
Steve Prefontaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #20
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rule

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:

4 out of how many? 50? That is 8% of the time. Hardly a winning formula, right?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #21
Coldcity76
Ring of Famer

Broncos Rule

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
What the **** is the point of this garbage? Osweiler was too expensive for what he is. Siemian is cheap as hell. They are basically equal as players. Logic says we are better off. The question is whether or not Lynch would give the offense a spark or not, or whether or not we should be giving him the developmental playing time instead of to a 7th round nobody.
The point is to show that Brock had the same numbers and many people here thought he was a franchise QB and a top 10 QB. Rather the system that Gary runs helps the QBs look better than they really are.

And we need to find our franchise QB and stop "inserting" a QB.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #22
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't know why people credit Elway. If Brock wasn't a sour b**** he'd be a Bronco right now at 16+ million per year. Credit Osweiler. Elway wanted to sign him for big money.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #23
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
4 out of how many? 50? That is 8% of the time. Hardly a winning formula, right?

You were wrong. It's ok. You are wrong alot.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #24
Bronx33
lets go partner

Camaraderie-ship for all

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Prefontaine View Post
You spend so much time on this bull**** that doesn't matter. Are you hoping that Kubes just happens across one of these horrific threads and says, "you know what? Coldjunk has a good point here, I'm gonna throw Lynch into the fire."
Coldjunk says FINALLY! SOMEBODY GETS IT!!!
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #25
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Booker

Quote:
Could go back further, like the first two Steeler teams. And Coldcity asked for examples. I gave them. You cannot exactly say the Ravens, Patriots or Bucs were quarterback centered teams, or that their quarterbacks played exceptionally well. And keep in mind, the 2000 Ravens, 2001 Patriots and 2002 Bucs were before the Brady rule or the Manning rule or putting skirts on quarterbacks. All three won with defense and the run...which is what the Broncos did in 2015.

This offense is worse than any of those IMO. OP is concentrating on one position which blows up in his face. It's not so much the QB as it is the entire unit from coaching to the players. Norwood shouldn't ever see the field. Players constantly getting penalties due to bad skills/mechanics. Head scratching playcalls that almost purposely set up for 3rd and longs.

QBs will always get the criticisms of bad offenses. but the reality is, this team hasn't had a real OC in 2 years and it has shown on the field.

This defense cannot sustain a horrendous offense for 2 years. That's asking too much IMO. They'll need to be relied on this year more than last. AFC West is far better than 2015. You can get away with it at home in the playoffs 2015, not so much in NE this year.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 10-30-2016 at 08:45 PM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote