The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
broncosorange
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default N.F.L. Tried to Influence Concussion Research, Congressional Study Finds

This is going to be the demise of the NFL ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/sp...inds.html?_r=0

When the N.F.L. agreed in 2012 to donate tens of millions of dollars to concussion research overseen by the National Institutes of Health, it was widely seen as a positive turning point in football’s long history of playing down the long-term effects of brain injuries on players. At the time, the league said that it would have no influence over how the money was used.

But the league and its head, neck and spine committee worked to improperly influence the government research, trying to steer the study toward a doctor with ties to the league, according to a study conducted by a congressional committee and released on Monday.

“Our investigation has shown that while the N.F.L. had been publicly proclaiming its role as funder and accelerator of important research, it was privately attempting to influence that research,” the study concluded. “The N.F.L. attempted to use its ‘unrestricted gift’ as leverage to steer funding away from one of its critics.”
broncosorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Yup.......

Hopefully Denver wins a few more SB before its the NFFL (Flag league)
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Doggcow
He gimpy

But he doin alright now

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Anyone surprised by this? Who cares. People know what they're signing up for when they take that 60m
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I don t find this story very compelling. Of course the NFL is trying to influence the research. All research is influenced relative to the study, it's conduction, and conclusions. Scientists, research tanks, investors, and researchers do it all the time. At the end of the day you are talking about statistics and numbers can be influence
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Don't care, concussions are not a secret and no one is forcing players to play. It's obvious the NFL wanted to protect itself from litigation and lawsuits. But for players to act like they didn't know about concussions and the likelihood of prolonged affects from playing in the NFL is disingenuous at best.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
broncosorange
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Reminds me of the tobacco companies. The NFL is going to have a ton more lawsuits and more and more parents not putting their sons into football ...
Old 05-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I don t find this story very compelling. Of course the NFL is trying to influence the research. All research is influenced relative to the study, it's conduction, and conclusions. Scientists, research tanks, investors, and researchers do it all the time. At the end of the day you are talking about statistics and numbers can be influence
Ditto. I didn't read the article, but the quote only says they tried to steer it away from a know critic. So that guy's bias is apparently okay? Did they try to steer it toward a neutral or a pro-NFL person?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
broncosorange
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This is much more insidious if you read the report. Insurance companies accuse the NFL of being “entirely disingenuous." The cover up here and intent to conceal information is stunning ... even for the NFL.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
BlueRacer
Greatest Dynasty Ever

The G.O.A.T.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yep. The No Integrity League.
BlueRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
People know what they're signing up for when they take that 60m
If the NFL were honest about concussion research you'd have a point.

Unfortunately this thread is about how they're not being honest, so no, you don't have a point.

Last edited by Blart; 05-24-2016 at 02:07 PM..
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #11
Ol#7
Im fine thanks for asking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gary Kubiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
If the NFL were honest about concussion research you'd have a point.

Unfortunately this thread is about how they're not being honest, so no, you don't have a point.
Eh, I disagree. Concussions have been known to be detrimental for decades. I mean, that is primarily what ended the careers of Roger Staubach, Steve Young, and Chris Miller. Heck, Miller was so bad, he got his head rung from basically getting bumped into on a handoff. Further, like the case for Miller, his head was badly designed for football. Some people will just be more predisposed to injury.

Hell, if I was doing any work instead of bs'ing on this board, I am probably damaging my eyes, wrists and back as I sit here, doing my daily tasks. The Army tore up my body, and I wasn't compensated like these guys. Point being, nothing tears a body up like life, and we all gotta find a way to eat. Having access to the best of everything while being paid to stay in peak physical shape doing something many love to engage in, well, that is a hard thing to get too riled up about.
Ol#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #12
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol#7 View Post
Eh, I disagree. Concussions have been known to be detrimental for decades. I mean, that is primarily what ended the careers of Roger Staubach, Steve Young, and Chris Miller. Heck, Miller was so bad, he got his head rung from basically getting bumped into on a handoff. Further, like the case for Miller, his head was badly designed for football. Some people will just be more predisposed to injury.

Hell, if I was doing any work instead of bs'ing on this board, I am probably damaging my eyes, wrists and back as I sit here, doing my daily tasks. The Army tore up my body, and I wasn't compensated like these guys. Point being, nothing tears a body up like life, and we all gotta find a way to eat. Having access to the best of everything while being paid to stay in peak physical shape doing something many love to engage in, well, that is a hard thing to get too riled up about.
Well stated. I don't feel sorry for anyone in the NFL. It's life. The life they picked.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
Yep. The No Integrity League.
Except for the Brady suspension, they got it right but it should have been 8 games not four.
ghwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #14
schaaf
Aint nothin but a G Thang

Abe's giving em the biznez

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There will always be someone to step in for the people that leave the game. Money talks
schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:25 PM   #15
extralife
Ring of Famer

football fans get so insecure anytime they are asked to treat players as people or the game as a game. which is great for the NFL, because it's made them invincible for decades.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:27 AM   #16
JoshMcDanielsIsTheDevil
Mighty Kushman

$moke da Krack

^^ Or that because they're making millions of dollars, they shouldn't want or need safety protocol and job satisfaction.
JoshMcDanielsIsTheDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #17
Smiling Assassin27
Concerned Citizen

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DT 88

Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #18
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Yawp.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #19
TheElusiveKyleOrton
Kicking & Screaming

Hot Damn.

Quote:
Anyone surprised by this? Who cares. People know what they're signing up for when they take that 60m
It's not about the guys making $60m, and you know it. It's about the parents and kids who will never play a down of pro football. It's about the long term effects, which are just starting to become known, and the lengths the NFL went to in order to conceal them. For DECADES.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #20
Ol#7
Im fine thanks for asking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gary Kubiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
It's not about the guys making $60m, and you know it. It's about the parents and kids who will never play a down of pro football. It's about the long term effects, which are just starting to become known, and the lengths the NFL went to in order to conceal them. For DECADES.
You are onto half the problem, in that many kids will now never play tackle football, is that a good or a bad thing? None of the money that will be paid will go to anyone who got a youth injury. I also would argue the point that somehow we didn't know concussions were detrimental, for, I don't know, SEVERAL DECADES, because of anything the NFL did or didn't do.

So then what is this really about? Couldn't be that a team of lawyers saw a potential mega payday could it? Nah, that couldn't be behind this. That never happens.
Ol#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
You are onto half the problem, in that many kids will now never play tackle football, is that a good or a bad thing? None of the money that will be paid will go to anyone who got a youth injury. I also would argue the point that somehow we didn't know concussions were detrimental, for, I don't know, SEVERAL DECADES, because of anything the NFL did or didn't do.

So then what is this really about? Couldn't be that a team of lawyers saw a potential mega payday could it? Nah, that couldn't be behind this. That never happens.
Well stated. I would also point out that most of the damage these professional take on...on average happens before they ever play a down in the NFL. Youth Leagues, High Schools, and the NCAA aren't being chased and exactly for the reason you described.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #22
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Must keep ones pimp hand strong.

rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #23
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Quote:
Eh, I disagree. Concussions have been known to be detrimental for decades..
Are you in support of the NFL tampering with concussion research?

"detrimental" is vague. Research would allow us to be less vague. For example: learning when it's least-harmful to return after a concussion. Giving players clearer information about the risks they're taking, i.e., how much of their vocabulary they can expect to lose. How much of their memory. The odds that they'll lose control of their emotions.

Not all NFL players are well educated, critical thinkers. Many of them bow to the expertise of team doctors and the NFL.

2x Super Bowl champion Neil Smith wouldn't have played in the NFL had he known.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...oncussions-cte

Last edited by Blart; 05-25-2016 at 03:06 PM..
Old 05-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #24
Doggcow
He gimpy

But he doin alright now

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

This seems to me like a payday of sorts.

Do people really believe global warming isn't a thing? Some major companies pay to dissuade that opinion. But it's pretty damn obvious, and common knowledge that they're just trying to make $$$. This isn't any different imo.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #25
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

Quote:
Do people really believe global warming isn't a thing?
As I said, not everyone is a well educated critical thinker. Evidence:
http://orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25

edit: more evidence

Last edited by Blart; 05-25-2016 at 03:17 PM..