The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
ram40ut
The MJ of being an SOB

Time is a flat circle

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default True Dectective

Sorry if there has been discussed in a thread already, but this is a really good mini-series. I've never been much of a Matthew McConnaughey has been sublime. I realize that's some serious hyperbole, but it's true IMO. This series just has so many layers. I'm a HUGE Breaking Bad, The Wire, Thrones, Boardwalk , Deadwood, and Homeland fan. But this is on another level. Harrelson is brilliant as always. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
ram40ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Easily one of the best shows on TV
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Best thing on TV right now. A lil self indulgent at times, but fantastic
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Easily one of the best shows on TV, if not the best.

Other good series I've seen recently:

Hannibal
Broadchurch
Rectify
The Bridge

Do yourself a favor and check out the shows above. TV is a much better canvas for developing a complex and compelling story these days, far superior to the silver screen in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram40ut View Post
Sorry if there has been discussed in a thread already, but this is a really good mini-series. I've never been much of a Matthew McConnaughey has been sublime. I realize that's some serious hyperbole, but it's true IMO. This series just has so many layers. I'm a HUGE Breaking Bad, The Wire, Thrones, Boardwalk , Deadwood, and Homeland fan. But this is on another level. Harrelson is brilliant as always. Do yourself a favor and check it out.
Agree. I thought the first 2 shows were really slow and wasn't sure I was going to get into it much but I stuck it out and it's picked up intensity big time. Great show. Although I still think Homeland is on that same level as is Game Of Thrones. Shameless and Ray Donovan are damn good also.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Easily one of the best shows on TV, if not the best.

Hannibal
Broadchurch
Rectify
The Bridge

Do yourself a favor and check out the shows above. TV is a much better canvas for developing a complex and compelling story these days, far superior to the silver screen in my opinion.
That is a kick ass show right there.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
That is a kick ass show right there.
Agreed. Stoked for the 28th
Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Woo hoo Hannibal! I didn't know anyone else was a Fannibal (I just discovered that is apparently the name of fans of the show.) They just loaded Season 1 of Hannibal to Amazon Prime so I am rewatching to prepare for Season 2. I also enjoy Bates Motel. Not sure what this says about me exactly. :-)
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:

Hannibal
Broadchurch
Rectify
The Bridge
I really like Hannibal and hope it survives. The Bridge was pretty good too.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Shameless...
I really liked that show but IMO the current season has been a big drop off. I'm behind a couple episodes but hopefully/maybe it gets better. I won't hold my breath.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
Woo hoo Hannibal! I didn't know anyone else was a Fannibal (I just discovered that is apparently the name of fans of the show.) They just loaded Season 1 of Hannibal to Amazon Prime so I am rewatching to prepare for Season 2. I also enjoy Bates Motel. Not sure what this says about me exactly. :-)
It says I'll be avoiding alone time with you
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

The gf and I only recently got back into Homeland. We were driven off by the TERRIBLE story line involving Brody's daughter. We eventually got through it by fast forwarding through any part with that annoying girl in it. I've never done that before. The show improved dramatically because we did that.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Mads Mikkelsen is absolutely a perfect fit for the Hannibal role. The rest of the cast is great too, but it was essential that they found the right person for the lead (Hannibal) role and they found him.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #14
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

What channel is Hannibal on?
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
I only watch Bates Motel because the mom is kinda hot, Vera something, Plus there isn't much else on that I like to watch. I do a lot of DVRing and probably watch more movies from the Library than TV but there are a couple dramatic series I like to watch.

I am enjoying True Detective but not enough to keep HBO after my free 3 months run out next month. I had some problems with Uverse and demanded free HBO.

I like Boardwalk empire more because I know and love the period music and history of the '20s.

I did like the episode with the failed stash house job in it and the court reporter was smoking hot nekid, she needs to be nekid in it more.

Looking forward to catching up with Game of Thrones, the Library just got season 3 in.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #16
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
What channel is Hannibal on?
http://thepiratebay.se/search/hannibal/0/7/0
Old 02-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #17
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

NBC airs Hannibal normally and it will be back for Season 2. I find it to be infinitely superior to "THe Following" which seems to get more publicity because Kevin Bacon is a bigger name, but "Hannibal" is exceptional. Having read all the books and seen the movies, they do a pretty good job of dealing with the already existing cannon on Hannibal. This is probably the best adapation of the Red Dragon material.

Season 1 has been loaded to Amazon Prime so if you have that membership it comes with it, the other place I often use is Project Free TV, a website I used in the UK. It can be a bit funny with the pop ups since it's free.

As for Bates Motel, I've hated every other thing after the original Psycho, but this is a pretty good show. Hannibal is better if I had to pick one, but this is an interesting spin on the Norman Bates story.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
The gf and I only recently got back into Homeland. We were driven off by the TERRIBLE story line involving Brody's daughter. We eventually got through it by fast forwarding through any part with that annoying girl in it. I've never done that before. The show improved dramatically because we did that.
Agree, I didn't think they needed to develop the daughters role as much as they did. If anything, I think they should have included the wife more during this past season. Heck, even Brody wasn't getting too much air time starting out last season. Great show but they need to focus again on what made it so awesome to begin with, the spy espionage type of thing. They did get back to that later in the season last year but I hope they keep going that route. It's more of a thriller at heart then it is a drama if you ask me.

If you haven't checked out Ray Donovan, you should. You'll definitely like it alot. There's just something awesome about his dysfunctional brothers and father.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
NBC airs Hannibal normally and it will be back for Season 2. I find it to be infinitely superior to "THe Following" which seems to get more publicity because Kevin Bacon is a bigger name, but "Hannibal" is exceptional. Having read all the books and seen the movies, they do a pretty good job of dealing with the already existing cannon on Hannibal. This is probably the best adapation of the Red Dragon material.

Season 1 has been loaded to Amazon Prime so if you have that membership it comes with it, the other place I often use is Project Free TV, a website I used in the UK. It can be a bit funny with the pop ups since it's free.

As for Bates Motel, I've hated every other thing after the original Psycho, but this is a pretty good show. Hannibal is better if I had to pick one, but this is an interesting spin on the Norman Bates story.
If they did what they are doing to Bates Motel to Star Trek I would hate it and rail on against it but since I don't have the history with Psycho that I do with ST I just tell myself it is something totally different, time period and everything. Maybe if they set it back in the 50's I would not be able to get past it but since it is set in the present I can enjoy it for what it is.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
If you haven't checked out Ray Donovan, you should. You'll definitely like it alot. There's just something awesome about his dysfunctional brothers and father.
Will do, always looking for a good show.

Also, Jack Taylor is a great detective show, it's on Netflix.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #21
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
If they did what they are doing to Bates Motel to Star Trek I would hate it and rail on against it but since I don't have the history with Psycho that I do with ST I just tell myself it is something totally different, time period and everything. Maybe if they set it back in the 50's I would not be able to get past it but since it is set in the present I can enjoy it for what it is.
Well they did that with Sherlock and it worked out just fine. I think the current Sherlock (the BBC one, not Elementary) is a brilliant take on Sherlock, modern or not. Bates Motel is actually not only updating it, but taking a different spin on it because the Mother is never really a person in the first movie except in Norman's head. This creates that backstory. Psycho sequels and I think it was 4 that tried to do it, but they did it very badly. I think Vera does a great job of both being somewhat smothering without being over the top a freak, it's fine line to walk. There is even some sympathy for her which is interesting since most other takes have made her out and out abusive.

I have also read good things about the show "True Detective." if I had HBO I'd watch. I just need to find a free source. Maybe it will end up on Netflix like Dexter finally did.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #22
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
I have also read good things about the show "True Detective." if I had HBO I'd watch. I just need to find a free source. Maybe it will end up on Netflix like Dexter finally did.
http://thepiratebay.se/search/true%20detective/0/7/0

Use a VPN and you'll be fine

Last edited by Houshyamama; 02-20-2014 at 01:28 PM..
Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Well they did that with Sherlock and it worked out just fine. I think the current Sherlock (the BBC one, not Elementary) is a brilliant take on Sherlock, modern or not. Bates Motel is actually not only updating it, but taking a different spin on it because the Mother is never really a person in the first movie except in Norman's head. This creates that backstory. Psycho sequels and I think it was 4 that tried to do it, but they did it very badly. I think Vera does a great job of both being somewhat smothering without being over the top a freak, it's fine line to walk. There is even some sympathy for her which is interesting since most other takes have made her out and out abusive.

I like the BBC Sherlock, not a big Sherlock Holmes fan but I have read a lot of the stories and at least once a decade I like to reread Hounds of the Baskervilles but I wasn't upset that they rebooted it. I actually like how they did it using the newer tech, though I thought he could use more computer programming stuff. I was disappointed in the 1st episode of this year but understood why they had to kill him off then bring him back because that is what Doyle did.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #24
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I like the BBC Sherlock, not a big Sherlock Holmes fan but I have read a lot of the stories and at least once a decade I like to reread Hounds of the Baskervilles but I wasn't upset that they rebooted it. I actually like how they did it using the newer tech, though I thought he could use more computer programming stuff. I was disappointed in the 1st episode of this year but understood why they had to kill him off then bring him back because that is what Doyle did.
See, what ST is to you, Sherlock is to me thus the reason I hate most adaptations (I loathe, loathe, loathe the Robert Downey Jr films for instance). I do like House which as far as I am concerned is pretty much Sherlock as a Dr. I love BBC's Sherlock so I avoid the US Elementary because I am worried they effed it up, but I may watch it someday.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #25
Dendave
Ring of Famer

Echo

Quote:
I am enjoying True Detective but not enough to keep HBO after my free 3 months run out next month. I had some problems with Uverse and demanded free HBO.

I like Boardwalk empire more because I know and love the period music and history of the '20s.

I did like the episode with the failed stash house job in it and the court reporter was smoking hot nekid, she needs to be nekid in it more.

Looking forward to catching up with Game of Thrones, the Library just got season 3 in.
Find someone that has HBO and get their username and password and get HBOGO for free...they encourage it for now

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/20/hbo...count-for-now/
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote