The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Suit dismissed: Broncos' D.J. Williams likely suspended

Bummer.

So long, DJ!

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...kely-suspended

The lawsuit filed by Broncos linebacker "D.J." Williams against the National Football League has been dismissed by a U.S. District Court in the Colorado District.

The case is now closed, meaning Williams is likely to serve a six-game suspension to start the season.

Read more: Suit dismissed: Broncos' D.J. Williams likely suspended - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz1yTLHjHzh
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
DENVERDUI55

Don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way down the road DJ.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
BroncoBeavis

Long term, who cares. Short term, 6 games is going to hurt. Bad.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Can we trade for Patrick Willis or something?

p.s. maybe someone can get Rev to bust his balls on Twitter again.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Long term, who cares. Short term, 6 games is going to hurt. Bad.
^

It'll suck not having him for the six games (or more with the DUI thing) but this is totally on him.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would be surprised, but the Broncos should let him go. He really has never been an impact player and I can only remember a few games in all of his career where he stood out for havving a great game or really good game. Leading the team in tackles is great, but when so few tackles are for loss or even at the LOS, then that isn't much of an impact in games.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

well at least it wasn't a DL getting hurt for the season.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Look.....bag on him to your hearts content but at least be real.....................
He is the best we have had at LB since we got him..........in that span no one else has stepped up and he has been moved around a lot.............
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Drunken.Broncoholic

Aren't lawsuits and nfl appeals 2 totally different things? It will be less games if he appeals it.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Why didnt he take the same route as McBean?
maher_tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Look.....bag on him to your hearts content but at least be real.....................
He is the best we have had at LB since we got him..........in that span no one else has stepped up and he has been moved around a lot.............
This is very true
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
This just shows how pathetic our lb core has been....I am bagging on him..he is a dumb shiat..has hurt this team with dumb decision!!
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Time for SoCal to come on in and defend his adoptee. After all, he is a draftee from the Shanny Era.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I think Woodyard's the better player anyway at WLB and at 40% of the price as well. Fact is though if Fox decides to keep this bum around he'll replace Wesley when his suspension lifts and that's the biggest damn shame in all of this. Cos you're taking a spot off a team leader who's respected by his peers and giving it to an a-hole who doesn't give one **** about his teammates or his own personal career. Why else would he cheat or commit so many felonies. DJ doesn't even go to bat for himself let alone the Broncos.
eddie mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #15
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Time for SoCal to come on in and defend his adoptee. After all, he is a draftee from the Shanny Era.
Here it is:

A. I'm not willing to agree that DJ violated PCP as to the urine issue, because the defenses and issues he raised relating to the NFL's alleged misconduct have not been decided on the merits by non-NFL personnel.

First thing is first. I'm not sure what requires "defending" about the suit being dismissed. The Judge did NOT make a decision on the merits after an evidentiary hearing on the merits. Rather, according to the PFT article, it appears she simply decided she did not have the authority to second guess the NFL and the NFL already made a decision through its internal appellate process. I grant you that ordinarily, the NFL's findings in these cases are entitled to great weight, since the outside observer does not know what evidence was provided on both sides. However, it would appear that when the investigator was actually fired by the league and there is the contention that the firing is directly relevant to the validity of the testing, then there should be a hearing on the merits by an independent judge, not the same party (NFL) that is accused of the wrongdoing. There is a clear conflict of interest there. Someone truly neutral should determine whether this firing a) had to do with the sample collected here, b) and whether the acts related to the firing are serious enough to make relying on the sample unfair and unreliable. There was no such determination here by anyone not connected with the NFL. They will NEVER rule that they ****ed up. It's a conflict of interest. The concept of the judiciary by its very nature is supposed to be independent. I don't blame the judge for saying I don't have authority to re-try the issue on the actual merits (this might be why DPO says the case was dismissed "as moot" rather than on an actual substantive basis, since the internal NFL appeal was denied). The NFLPA screwed its members by allowing Goodell to remain as judge, jury, executioner and appellate court (his minions, like Herald Henderson). I cannot give the NFL's finding its normal weight when there is a really big bad fact sticking out that needs ot be adjudicated by someone independent. That the NFLPA ****ed up does not mean DJ was right in his contention or wrong. It means we don't know, so I don't have to defend something that wasn't actually litigated on the merits, in a full blown evidentiary trial by a neutral trier of fact that wasn't tied to alleged wrongdoing. Fundamental fairness requires no less.

B. Should he have accepted a 3 game suspension instead?

It would depend upon whether he was given that option PFT suggests he was never given this option. I frankly don't know if he was or if he wasn't. PFT suggests he was not, but I do not know the basis for their viewpoint. This is a matter of legal advise as well. If his attorney felt the appeal was the right way to go and they had a shot, then someone can only do what their attorney reasonably advises. He certainly wasn't the only one. Klis and others suggested earlier that because of the unique facts here, he had a real chance to prevail. Apparently, the Court wouldn't even get to the real issue on procedural grounds. It happens.

C. What about the DUI?

This trial is scheduled in August. From what I understand, the NFL is prohbited by the terms of the CBA for imposing a penalty for something that was done prior to enactment of the current CBA, so if he loses in the DUI, I don't think it will change anything with respect to harming the Broncos. This might be why Montrose mentioned earlier that he got 6 games instead of say 4 because Goodell wanted to use something else to punish him for the DUI without actually officially punishing him for the DUI (since, if the CBA truly does prohibit punishment for acts prior to the CBA, he couldn't come out and punish him specifically for the DUI).

D. What should the Broncos do?

At this point, I think the question of whether the team should make a move should be decided on an analysis of the benefits vs. the detriments. This requires a discussion of the various intersets at play....football, financial, reputational etc. If my understanding of the CBA is correct (i.e. there can be no further punishments for the DUI regardless of what happens), then we know the punishment cannot be more htan 6 games. First, we must consider the financial interest. At this time, Denver remains well under the salary cap and it would appear at this late date that Denver has no plans to add any other high priced players. So, freeing up the 3-3.5m would not appear to be of any specific benefit for 2012 (I noted 3-3.5m because I think the 6 game checks do not get paid out to him, he doesnt recieve his whole salary, so the savings is not the full amount, its just the other 10 games). Here, there is a financial benefit of some savings, but considering the lack of prejudice in terms of further spending and our current cap situation, it would not seem to be a significant benefit (for 2012, there is ofcourse the seperate question of 2013 and that is certainly a whole new analysis, but the team does not need to make that decision at this time, rather, only for 2012).

We next come to an analysis of the football interests. I do not see even a marginal benefit of cutting him here. We are left with WW (who the staff soured on towards the end of the year, see Montrose's posts) and Trevathan, a rookie, who is expected to be a ST'er in 2012 and possible contributor in the nickel. The staff has never suggested he could hack it as an actual starter at WLB (his speed suggests otherwise...at least for now). DJ is a very good LB and very versatile. He can play WLB, MLB and SLB and is still a very good WLB. He had 5.5 sacks last year despite playing only about 13 games and made big plays in several games (strip sack vs. Miami, making sure to get the Chicago RB out of bounds etc.). He's got range that no one else does (no one else at LB can both drop back in the Tampa 2 and chase sideline to sideline well). It's clear that from a football standpoint, having him there in addition to WW and DT provides a significant benefit. Considering the Manning era is probably only 2 years, I would think we should want to be as strong as possible roster wise while he is here.

The last interest I would see is reputational. Here the Broncos could reasonably believe that there would be reputational problems of keeping him on the roster if they believe he doesn't fit what they are about. I understand and accept that making several stupid mistakes could raise red flags and they could reasonably feel that they just don't want to be a part of it. That is a legitimate take from the team. I think some of these things are more boneheaded than done with malice so I wouldn't go too far in that direction, but it is a legitimate argument, I definitely understand that. In any event, I think only 1 out of 3 interests would be in favor of getting rid of him, so in my own analysis, that wouldn't be enough to justify it, but two reasonable people could definitely disagree.

JMO.

BRING BACK BUTCH

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 06-21-2012 at 08:48 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncswin View Post
This just shows how pathetic our lb core has been....I am bagging on him..he is a dumb shiat..has hurt this team with dumb decision!!
he is an angel compared to some and no angel compared to a Tebow like player but hell do you over react much ?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal
The last interest I would see is reputational. Here the Broncos could reasonably believe that there would be reputational problems of keeping him on the roster if they believe he doesn't fit what they are about. I understand and accept that making several stupid mistakes could raise red flags and they could reasonably feel that they just don't want to be a part of it. That is a legitimate take from the team. I think some of these things are more boneheaded than done with malice so I wouldn't go too far in that direction, but it is a legitimate argument, I definitely understand that.
This is all I wanted to hear you admit. No matter what you think of him as a player. His DUI act and just general bone-headed moves, like repeated ones, are not working. Not for the Broncos and not for him.

Last edited by Kaylore; 06-21-2012 at 10:50 PM..
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #18
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

DJ has not earned his salary; and has been suspended. I know that his progress has been hampered by too many DC's with differing plans on how to use him - but if he had used that experience to make himself into a centerpiece of the LB core, then he would have earned a spot on the team. But he didn't and is only the most talented of an average crew of LBs - and now he is suspended for 6 games - plus he's a bit of a dunderhead with the play book postin nonsense.

Bottom line to me is that he isn't a cog worth rehabilitating in a new crew that presumably has a DC that knows how to coach LBs. If DJ was/is a star, why is it a question? He has underperformed from the beginning and is now a bit of a head case.

I'd love to see him come back in week 7 and light it up - but I'm not holding my breath. Cutting him seems pointless bacause he's not preventing any of the younger guys from getting playing time to develop in the first quarter+ of the season
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
DJ has not earned his salary; and has been suspended. I know that his progress has been hampered by too many DC's with differing plans on how to use him - but if he had used that experience to make himself into a centerpiece of the LB core, then he would have earned a spot on the team. But he didn't and is only the most talented of an average crew of LBs - and now he is suspended for 6 games - plus he's a bit of a dunderhead with the play book postin nonsense.

Bottom line to me is that he isn't a cog worth rehabilitating in a new crew that presumably has a DC that knows how to coach LBs. If DJ was/is a star, why is it a question? He has underperformed from the beginning and is now a bit of a head case.

I'd love to see him come back in week 7 and light it up - but I'm not holding my breath. Cutting him seems pointless bacause he's not preventing any of the younger guys from getting playing time to develop in the first quarter+ of the season
I think DJ will have one more year here in Denver. He is still the best most solid LBer. He is also the best LBer in coverage on the TE.

He is most definitley playing for his job. I suppose if another LBer really shows out in camp that could be bad news for Williams but I do not see it happen. Denver is too mediocre and too young to discard Williams this year.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
^

It'll suck not having him for the six games (or more with the DUI thing) but this is totally on him.
yes it will be terrible not seeing him out there getting washed out of plays, not making an impact that justifies his salary and making tackles after the ball carrier has already picked up 5 or more yards.

in the words of Peyton Manning "CUT THAT MEAT!" he is a turd and it is time to flush.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #21
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I would be surprised, but the Broncos should let him go. He really has never been an impact player and I can only remember a few games in all of his career where he stood out for havving a great game or really good game. Leading the team in tackles is great, but when so few tackles are for loss or even at the LOS, then that isn't much of an impact in games.
losing him at least 37% of the season with the broncos sending $1,875,000.00 to NFL charities and not getting a dimes worth of production in return..

Tack on a couple more games for DUI and make it a round quarter of a million..

AS you said never has been an impact player and frankly that is what you should expect from a $5 million dollar a year guy..

At least that is what I expect.. if he is making vet minimum no sweat for those numbers..

Lets hope that John cuts one more of Tanahans mistakes..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #22
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post

Likely with the DUI issuehe would not see the field till mid season..

Frankly Miller is the most talent of the LB's head above DJ..

and his covering of TE's well about the same as goody covering wr's following them into the endzone after they were beat..

cut him and move on.. save the money.. Woodyard had almost the same season in 7 starts as dj did in 13..

Code:
                      G	GS	Total	Solo	Ast	Sck	SFTY	PDef	Int	Yds	Avg	Lng	TDs	FF	FR
Willaims
2011 	DEN 	13 	13 	90 	70 	20 	5.0 	-- 	2 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	3 	1
Woodyard
2011 	DEN 	15 	7 	97 	67 	30 	0.0 	-- 	2 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	-- 	2 	--

Last edited by lonestar; 06-22-2012 at 12:47 AM..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #23
Agamemnon

Well here's hoping Trevathan plays up the hype he's been getting so far in camp
Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
yes it will be terrible not seeing him out there getting washed out of plays, not making an impact that justifies his salary and making tackles after the ball carrier has already picked up 5 or more yards.

in the words of Peyton Manning "CUT THAT MEAT!" he is a turd and it is time to flush.
that is total BS and you know it.............
Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

some of you guys are real idiots...he is the best all around LB we have right now..................