The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default BCS possibly heading to playoff system

There are still plenty of details to be hammered out, but at least one BCS conference commissioner believes he and his colleagues can reach a compromise on the model for a four-team playoff to determine college football's national championship -- possibly as soon as this week.

read more http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-playoff-model
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,189
Default

I'll believe it when I see it
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 36,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

The debate appears to be top 4 overall or 4 conference champions. Its going to become fairly clear that there is no other choice but top 4 overall. The other method would likely not survive an antitrust challenge under the rule of reason analysis.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 6,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

And I can dig it. Would rather have 8 tho.

Ideally, I think you have 6 conference champions and two wildcards. Or 7 sixteen team conference champions and 1 wildcard. Seeded by whatever the hell fair ranking they can come up with.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
GameOver
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah I agree it should be 8 but atleast it will be start in the right direction.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 36,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

8 would be great, but I think that's been proposed and shot down as it would extend the season too far. Looks like they are focused on 4, but with 8, you could have the four big time conference champs plus 4 wildcards (so ND, the ACC Champ, the mid-majors and the team that finishes 2nd in the big conferences would all have a good shot to still get in).
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
8 would be great, but I think that's been proposed and shot down as it would extend the season too far. Looks like they are focused on 4, but with 8, you could have the four big time conference champs plus 4 wildcards (so ND, the ACC Champ, the mid-majors and the team that finishes 2nd in the big conferences would all have a good shot to still get in).
I disagree big time. FCA Division does a 16 plus team(include play in teams) playoff and they are done by 7 January every year. There is no reason for Division I team not to have something similar.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 36,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I disagree big time. FCA Division does a 16 plus team(include play in teams) playoff and they are done by 7 January every year. There is no reason for Division I team not to have something similar.
It would take forever to do a 16 team playoff plus the regular Bowls (I wouldnt mind that, but alot of powers that be do mind it). Make no mistake, you MUST preserve the underlying Bowl system (in addition to whatever playoff system is used), or the 90% of the teams that are never in contention are not going to vote for this system. They have to still feed at the trough or else those University Presidents simply won't vote for it. It's a money issue.
__________________

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 06-20-2012 at 06:58 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
It would take forever to do a 16 team playoff plus the regular Bowls (I wouldnt mind that, but alot of powers that be do mind it). Make no mistake, you MUST preserve the underlying Bowl system (in addition to whatever playoff system is used), or the 90% of the teams that are never in contention are not going to vote for this system. They have to still feed at the trough or else those University Presidents simply won't vote for it. It's a money issue.
The team should either be in the playoff systems or bowls not both. Schools will make far more money if they are in the playoff system because its a home game for them.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 36,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The team should either be in the playoff systems or bowls not both. Schools will make far more money if they are in the playoff system because its a home game for them.
It's not a "should" issue. It's a fiduciary duty issue. Each university President/administration has a fiduciary duty to maximize the possible financial benefit for their university. It's not about should. The President of Boston College is not going to vote for a 4 team, 8 team or 16 team playoff with NO underlying bowl system for the also-ran teams that are perennially somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4, because Boston College (just as an example) is always in that secondary range and NEVER in the top 4-8 (and rarely in the top 16, very rarely). They aren't going to give up money for free.

You can have a 4/8/16 team playoff for the elite teams, thats fine, but everyone else still has to be able to feed at the trough or you don't have the votes to proceed. You have to look at this realistically. If you have an eight team playoff that replaces the four big bowls (or use those same game sites) but leave all the lower bowls in place, thats the only way its going to work. Same for 4 team playoff. Like rotate the title game (say its New Orleans/Sugar one year.....so one Semifinal will be Pasadena/Rose, the other Semifinal was Orange/Miami, and the two highest division champs that didnt get into the 4 team playoff can play in the Fiesta...and preserve all the lower bowls for the other teams so they can vote for it).
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,500

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

i still think the best course of action is to have each conference champ make the playoffs, use the AP and Coaches polls to determine their seedings and make a true playoff system. 4 team playoff is good in that it gives a more clear cut champion, but now rather than teams b****ing about not getting their shot at a National Championship we get to hear teams b****ing because they were left out of the 4 team playoff. take away the b****ing and moaning and let the conference champs duke it out.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,500

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
It's not a "should" issue. It's a fiduciary duty issue. Each university President/administration has a fiduciary duty to maximize the possible financial benefit for their university. It's not about should. The President of Boston College is not going to vote for a 4 team, 8 team or 16 team playoff with NO underlying bowl system for the also-ran teams that are perennially somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4, because Boston College (just as an example) is always in that secondary range and NEVER in the top 4-8 (and rarely in the top 16, very rarely). They aren't going to give up money for free.

You can have a 4/8/16 team playoff for the elite teams, thats fine, but everyone else still has to be able to feed at the trough or you don't have the votes to proceed. You have to look at this realistically. If you have an eight team playoff that replaces the four big bowls (or use those same game sites) but leave all the lower bowls in place, thats the only way its going to work. Same for 4 team playoff. Like rotate the title game (say its New Orleans/Sugar one year.....so one Semifinal will be Pasadena/Rose, the other Semifinal was Orange/Miami, and the two highest division champs that didnt get into the 4 team playoff can play in the Fiesta...and preserve all the lower bowls for the other teams so they can vote for it).
all the bowl games are the problem with the playoff system, but a way to rectify that is for the lesser bowls to become sponsors for conference championship games and playoff games.

that works better for the ****ty bowls no one cares about anyway as they become sponsors for bigger games people may have some interest in.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,932
Default

College football just doesn't get it. Why can't they just give people what they want? Or do what makes sense. People complained about getting a playoff system, so they gave us the BCS. Fail. People complain some more, and they just add another step by making it 4 teams. That's not good enough either. 8 teams, and play the quarter and semifinal games in mid December before the bowl season. High seed gets a home game, title game on a neutral site. It's that simple.

A 4 team playoff doesn't really solve all the problems, because the non BCS conference teams will still be left out more often than not. If it is top 8 and one of those teams goes undefeated they'll get in. But top 4, more often than not they won't get in. It really seems like the NCAA or who ever is running this thing does not want any non BCS conference teams involved in any of this.

Extending it to 4 teams is better than what we have now, but it still causes a problem because deserving teams will still get left out. If they did top 8, teams 9 and 10 can complain all they want. Who cares? That's like a college basketball team complaining that they got left out of the tournament. They weren't winning it anyways. Top 8 will allow all the real contenders to get in. Top 16 is just too many.

Issues with extending the season is a lame argument. Only two teams will have to play an extra two games. No problem. When Oregon made it a couple years back, they played a total of 13 games, and Auburn 14. Here in California, teams that make the state bowl games play a total of 15 games. And missing class is a lame argument too. Most college football players don't miss class. On road trips, which is only like 5 a year, they leave on a Friday afternoon. What college student is scheduling classes on a Friday afternoon? I'm pretty sure football players are told not to. College basketball players miss class often because a number of their games are mid week. Nobody is making an issue there.

I'd say that using a bowl game as a playoff game is a horrible idea. Bowl games are supposed to be a celebration of the season. One last game. Don't demean that bowl game by making it a playoff game. And many fans travel to bowl games. Are fans going to be expected to travel to the bowl game, and then to a title game? A lot of fans would skip traveling to the bowl game and hope their team makes the title game so they can travel to that. It will hurt the attendance of that bowl game.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i still think the best course of action is to have each conference champ make the playoffs, use the AP and Coaches polls to determine their seedings and make a true playoff system. 4 team playoff is good in that it gives a more clear cut champion, but now rather than teams b****ing about not getting their shot at a National Championship we get to hear teams b****ing because they were left out of the 4 team playoff. take away the b****ing and moaning and let the conference champs duke it out.
You know, doing that would take out the strength of schedule argument. Teams could schedule tough non conference games and it won't hurt them, because they just need to win their conference. And teams who schedule cupcake non conference schedules will not benefit from that. So would non BCS conference champions be involved? Because if they are, then it solves all the problems.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
all the bowl games are the problem with the playoff system, but a way to rectify that is for the lesser bowls to become sponsors for conference championship games and playoff games.

that works better for the ****ty bowls no one cares about anyway as they become sponsors for bigger games people may have some interest in.
That's the part I don't like. The bowl system has to stay intact, and that is one fear of a playoff system. That it would take away from the bowl system. That is a major reason why there is not a playoff system, so any plan that demeans the bowl system will not work. So just make the playoff games mid December, when all teams are done with the regular season, and it is before the bowl season. Ratings would be huge because there are no meaningful college football games then, and all the ****ty bowl games will still be around.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
all the bowl games are the problem with the playoff system, but a way to rectify that is for the lesser bowls to become sponsors for conference championship games and playoff games.

that works better for the ****ty bowls no one cares about anyway as they become sponsors for bigger games people may have some interest in.
Dude, what are you talking about? The Beef OBradys Bowl was AWESOME last year.

Made some serious coin on that game.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
That's the part I don't like. The bowl system has to stay intact, and that is one fear of a playoff system. That it would take away from the bowl system. That is a major reason why there is not a playoff system, so any plan that demeans the bowl system will not work. So just make the playoff games mid December, when all teams are done with the regular season, and it is before the bowl season. Ratings would be huge because there are no meaningful college football games then, and all the ****ty bowl games will still be around.
Couldn't you have the regular bowls play in prime time during the week, with the playoff games on Saturday afternoon/evening? Why wouldn't that work? The games still get played, get played in prime time, and the games people care about go wall to wall on Saturday.

Seems like everyone wins.

I'm a Montana fan. I've seen the playoffs, they work, and they're GREAT for the University.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Couldn't you have the regular bowls play in prime time during the week, with the playoff games on Saturday afternoon/evening? Why wouldn't that work? The games still get played, get played in prime time, and the games people care about go wall to wall on Saturday.

Seems like everyone wins.

I'm a Montana fan. I've seen the playoffs, they work, and they're GREAT for the University.
GO Bobcats!
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #19
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Couldn't you have the regular bowls play in prime time during the week, with the playoff games on Saturday afternoon/evening? Why wouldn't that work? The games still get played, get played in prime time, and the games people care about go wall to wall on Saturday.

Seems like everyone wins.

I'm a Montana fan. I've seen the playoffs, they work, and they're GREAT for the University.

Hmmm, that pushes the playoff games into bowl season. I like the idea of having the playoff games before the bowl season so that teams and fans can prepare for what ever bowl game their teams is going to play in.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #20
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,500

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
You know, doing that would take out the strength of schedule argument. Teams could schedule tough non conference games and it won't hurt them, because they just need to win their conference. And teams who schedule cupcake non conference schedules will not benefit from that. So would non BCS conference champions be involved? Because if they are, then it solves all the problems.
i think every conference, regardless of size or stature in the NCAA should send a conference champ to a playoff system. how the conference champs should be decided should be based on conference record; with strength of schedule, including non conference games settling tie breakers for deciding the 2 teams that play for their conference championship and the playoff slot.

shorten the regular season to 10 games since with a playoff season a team could wind up playing 14 games which is just about how many most teams play under the current system. and with 12 conferences the playoff scheduling could basically mimic the NFL. Bye week for the top 4 teams. also, this could get rid of the month and a half several teams wind up waiting for their bowl game. by doing the season and playoffs without that kind of layoff, the NCAA could get huge viewership by having their National Championship game on New Years Day, a full month ahead of the Super Bowl and without needing to compete against NFL playoffs for viewers.

one would think that college football would see how great a playoff system could be by looking at college basketball. March Madness is insane, and viewership is massive, especially when there is that Cinderella school that makes a run
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #21
Navy Broncos Fan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I have always thought 6 conference champs + 2 wild cards. No need to get rid of the bowls, incorporate them as playoff games keep the names and bowl money and add a couple more games. You can keep all of the silly bowls for the other teams but a champion needs to be crowned on the field not at a ballot box.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,500

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Broncos Fan View Post
I have always thought 6 conference champs + 2 wild cards. No need to get rid of the bowls, incorporate them as playoff games keep the names and bowl money and add a couple more games. You can keep all of the silly bowls for the other teams but a champion needs to be crowned on the field not at a ballot box.
i think the best bowl games Fiesta, Orange, Rose etc should be the names of the playoff games amongst the conference champs in the playoffs. once the playoff teams are set use the polls to set the remaining lesser bowls amongst teams not in the playoffs(also wouldn't hurt to dump some of them either)

have the National Championship game on New Years Day be the end of the college football season
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #23
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
 
maven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 10,109
Default

What about the 5th team who is on the outside and looking in? And is probably just as good, if not better than who's rank 3,4. Also, I can see small schools getting X out.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #24
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,761

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

They should do 68 teams. Like in basketball.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #25
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i think every conference, regardless of size or stature in the NCAA should send a conference champ to a playoff system. how the conference champs should be decided should be based on conference record; with strength of schedule, including non conference games settling tie breakers for deciding the 2 teams that play for their conference championship and the playoff slot.

shorten the regular season to 10 games since with a playoff season a team could wind up playing 14 games which is just about how many most teams play under the current system. and with 12 conferences the playoff scheduling could basically mimic the NFL. Bye week for the top 4 teams. also, this could get rid of the month and a half several teams wind up waiting for their bowl game. by doing the season and playoffs without that kind of layoff, the NCAA could get huge viewership by having their National Championship game on New Years Day, a full month ahead of the Super Bowl and without needing to compete against NFL playoffs for viewers.

one would think that college football would see how great a playoff system could be by looking at college basketball. March Madness is insane, and viewership is massive, especially when there is that Cinderella school that makes a run
I looked up the conferences, and there are 11. I still think that's too many teams in the playoffs. So take 6 of the conference champs. Go by the rankings to determine which 6 of the 11 conference champs make it to the playoffs, and then you have to at large teams, who will be the highest ranked non conference champs. Mid major teams will have a chance if they win their conference. If they go undefeated they should rank in the top 6 of the conference winners, and they're in. By having two at large teams, if one conference has two of the top five or so teams, both teams will more than likely get in.

I don't think the NCAA would want to cut the season down from 12 to 10 games, especially if it will only be for 8 teams who are in a playoff.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Denver Broncos