The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2016, 04:22 AM   #1
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default Do ties belong in the NFL?

We have had tied games in consecutive weeks now and the Oakland - Tampa Bay game was pretty close to being tied as well.

Do ties belong in the NFL in the regular season? I would argue they do. As an example I would like to offer the Seattle - Arizona game. Ultimately both teams deserved to lose that game, but that isn't and obviously shouldn't be an option. The teams had between them 75 minutes of football that stretched over nearly 3.5 hours of real time to settle the game and they couldn't.

I think there are 4 main reasons why ties should exist:

1) TV-time. Games can't go on indefinitely like they do in playoffs because of TV. The NFL is an entertainment industry and they reach their audience mostly via TV, so having games played that aren't televised is a waste of time.

2) Quality of play and risk of injury. We know from NHL playoff games that go far into overtime and soccer games that go far into overtime that quality of play drops significantly the longer a game goes beyond normal time. In the NFL that means higher risk of injuries and reduction in the quality of the product.

3) Punishment. Any team that can't win a game in 75 minutes of football does not deserve a win. That 1 in the tie column could concievably cost Seattle home field advantage in the playoffs and if that ends up being the case they deserve it.

4) There is no satisfactory alternative. There is no penalty shot in football. The college system has some advantages, but still lacks the simplicity of a penalty shootout and the full complexity of an actual overtime with the full field of play.

I know the argument that ties are disappointing. But nobody can tell me that any fan could watch the entirety of the Seattle - Arizona game and not come away disappointed even if one of the teams had won at the end of overtime. Why should we be subjected to any more of that missery?
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2016, 06:07 AM   #2
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

I hate the college OT rules which removes too much of the game. Then again, I'm one of those people who was okay with ties in hockey and think the shootouts are lame.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:22 AM   #3
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

If you can win the game in 5 quarters, you don't derseve the win.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
If you can win the game in 5 quarters, you don't derseve the win.
this ^

Ties in the regular season are fine. I dont see the problem.
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
A Defiant Goose
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think they ought to get rid of the whole damn "If it's a TD you win, but if you score a field goal it's not, but if the other team scores a field goal, then you do the hokey pokey, and if the other team can't put their left hand in or put their left foot out, and your team doesn't do the hokey pokey and shake themselves about, then touchdown Seahawks."

Leave it as a normal fourth quarter. If it's tied at the end, it's a tie. Easy.
A Defiant Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Regular season ties are fine. Overtime was really only used in playoff games until 1975. Denver and Pittsburgh played the first regular season OT game in 1975. And it ended as a 35-35 tie. The hype was "sudden Death".
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

There is really no way around a tie. There isn't going to be a sixth quarter in the regular season. I think the college overtime is dumb because it strips away parts of the game. Ties don't happen often enough for it to be a huge issue. And I had no problem with the old OT system. First score wins and get out of there. I think only 10% of the games were decided with only one team getting the ball. So they changed the system over something that happened only 10% of the time. Is 10% too much? I guess.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:30 AM   #8
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Oily Variety Bohunk

4 quarters in regular season regardless of score, added time to 4th quarter with no stoppage until someone scores in the playoffs. No additional kick offs and timeouts in overtime, just play on....
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #9
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I think what the NFL is doing is fine. The only complaint I have is from a player safety perspective is that field goals should be a part of sudden death.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
Vottomatic19
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Ties are fine. The problem is hyper-competitive, stupid Americans that can't handle the concept of no one coming out of a match as the "better" team.
Vottomatic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #11
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

There's not really any good solution, unless you are so dead set against ties you pretty much think crap on a wall would be better than a tie like Russell Wilson.

Every sport that settles for some tie breaking measure has come up with a gimmick. In the NHL at least it's restricted to the regular season. I'm still amazed World Cups are allowed to be decided on penalty kicks. If they did come up with a gimmick at least don't have it centered around a field goal. That would be worse than deciding games on penalty kicks.

This recent spate of ties is a fluke, ties are still not common enough in the NFL to warrant having to come up with some gimmick even if only restricted to the regular season.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
itswutz4dinna
Siemster's Union Member

Catch the ball, Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

As long as they aren't bolo ties, I don't see why not.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:24 AM   #13
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
There's not really any good solution, unless you are so dead set against ties you pretty much think crap on a wall would be better than a tie like Russell Wilson.

Every sport that settles for some tie breaking measure has come up with a gimmick. In the NHL at least it's restricted to the regular season. I'm still amazed World Cups are allowed to be decided on penalty kicks. If they did come up with a gimmick at least don't have it centered around a field goal. That would be worse than deciding games on penalty kicks.

This recent spate of ties is a fluke, ties are still not common enough in the NFL to warrant having to come up with some gimmick even if only restricted to the regular season.
I disagree, I think a FG off would be just fine. Games come down to 1 FG all the time. Gradually increase the distance of the FG kicks until someone misses it.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #14
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Defiant Goose View Post
I think they ought to get rid of the whole damn "If it's a TD you win, but if you score a field goal it's not, but if the other team scores a field goal, then you do the hokey pokey, and if the other team can't put their left hand in or put their left foot out, and your team doesn't do the hokey pokey and shake themselves about, then touchdown Seahawks."

Leave it as a normal fourth quarter. If it's tied at the end, it's a tie. Easy.
I agree with this. Either make it sudden death or make it that both teams get a shot or just play out an extra quarter, but quit dicking around NFL.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I actually like the college rules. And they don't seem to be struggling for TV ratings.

But I also agree with A Defiant Goose in that if you're going to allow a tie, what's the point of overtime? Just have a tie after four quarters or do something like college that forces a winner.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #16
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I disagree, I think a FG off would be just fine. Games come down to 1 FG all the time. Gradually increase the distance of the FG kicks until someone misses it.
Even though I think it's unnecessary it is kind of fun to speculate about different tie breaking methods. I'd avoid field goals... yeah they decide games but that's when they are part of the game... teams have to get into position for them.

How about this: roll a dice. Whatever number comes up, the ball will be placed on that yard line, 1 to 6. Then a coin toss. The winner gets to decide if they want to go for a score from that position or defend it. If the offense scores, that teams wins. If it's defended, the other team wins.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #17
Greatspirits
Ring of Famer

"TD"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq

How about a kicker shoot out?! Have each kicker start with a 30 yarder and go back 10 yards each time if both kickers make it. Go all the way back to a 55 yarder. If both kickers make all their kicks the game ends in a tie!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
Smiling Assassin27
Concerned Citizen

Blimey me hearties

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pirate Giraffe

Depends. A good tie can put the finishing touch on a classic suit.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #19
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright
Default Do ties belong?

Only with a suit coat.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:26 PM   #20
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Ties count and should be left alone.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #21
A Defiant Goose
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'll go a bit further and say that they should even allow ties in the SB. A tie in the SB results in both teams going home with nothing and the championship game losers play the next week for the SB. And if they tie, then the Pats win.
A Defiant Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #22
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

Quote:
I'll go a bit further and say that they should even allow ties in the SB. A tie in the SB results in both teams going home with nothing and the championship game losers play the next week for the SB. And if they tie, then the Pats win.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:49 PM   #23
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #24
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

scio me nihil scire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
I love roughly 80% of this idea.
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #25
OMAHA HA
Pro Bowler

how bout dem broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Emanuel Sanders

The real question is, does Norwood a belong in the NFL , let alone as a banner on the orangemane
OMAHA HA is offline   Reply With Quote