The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
COBronc78

Default Some quality thinking from Chargers fans...

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=94310

Quote:
I have been considering how the Chargers compare positionally with their three division rivals. This is a pretty broad topic and some areas are likely to yield a lot of disagreement and discussion so I figured I would open it up.

Quarterback: Chargers, Raiders, Broncos, Chiefs

The Chargers are clearly the favorites here and it isn't close. Palmer showed me enough once he became comfortable in Oakland to rank above Peyton, who is a gigantic question mark. Manning very well could put this ranking to shame if he is indeed himself, but I'm not a believer no matter how objective I try to be. Cassel brings up the rear as he has never been better than mediocre since arriving in Kansas City. I'm glad of that too, because an above average QB on that team would be formidable. If the Chargers win the division, it will be because they are the best at the QB position.

Running Back: Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Broncos

Ryan Mathews might have the best individual season this year, but I think KC has the best overall backfield as we know that Charles and Hillis are both capable of big things. Oakland's duo of McFadden and Goodson is pretty decent if the former stays healthy, and the presence of a dynamic receiving threat at FB pushes them past San Diego for me. The Chargers currently have a good young starter ready to break out and a versatile, solid fullback, but not a whole lot beyond it. A youngster may emerge as a good complimentary runner but until that happens, we're at #3 in my eyes. McGahee's on his last leg in Denver and they don't have anyone proven behind him.

Receivers (WR's+TE's): Chargers, Chiefs, Raiders, Broncos

I give us the nod here for a few reasons. First, while we lack a true #1 WR, all five of the players we carry at the position this year should be able to contribute to the passing game the top 4 have already shown they can produce (i.e. I'm not banking on rookie impact here). Secondly, we easily have the best tight end group in the division... that's not even a discussion. The Chiefs have a lot of talent, but most of it unrealized, with Baldwin not showing much yet and the Fresno State kid just a rookie. If Moeaki stays healthy, they'll have a nice TE pairing with him and Boss. I like the Raiders wide receiver talent as much as anyone in the division (Heyward-Bey, Moore, Ford, Murphey, Criner), but their complete and utter lack of tight end talent hurts them. Denver brings up the rear once again as they only really have two real talents between both WR and TE in Thomas and Decker. The rest of their receivers and tight ends are journeymen.

Offensive Line: Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Broncos

Branden Albert was the best left tackle to play a full season in the division last year. Add to that the presence of Eric Winston, Jon Asamoah, and some talented rookies and 2nd year players, and I think the Chiefs are the class of the division for OL right now. The Chargers might end up having a LT to top Albert if all goes according to plan. Besides whom they have the best center. The right side of our line is merely average, but Tyronne Green may well emerge at LG this year. Oakland is a work in progress that could be a lot better soon if Veldheer and Wisniewski continue to progress. They will also need help from Barkdale and their new Utah Ute in a hurry. Their need to depend on really young players at a couple positions hurts their ranking for me. Denver's line has been ridiculously overrated in recent seasons, as Clady, Beadles, and Walton have all struggled. Franklin gets a mulligan as he was a rookie, but Kuper being their best OL isn't a good thing.

Defense to be added.

Defensive Line: Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs, Broncos

This is hard to evaluate because of the schematic differences, but I can't really think of a better way to approach it at the moment. Richard Seymour is overrated, but Kelly and Bryant are both underrated players. Lamar Houston and Matt Shaughnessy are both solid and getting better. I like the Chargers at #2 because they are so deep. Garay and Thomas are both better than anything KC has at NT and they have a strong mix of veterans and youngsters at 5 technique DE. Potentially all 6 of their players could be at least average starters elsewhere. The Chiefs have two solid ends, but lack a great nose tackle (I'm not a fan of Dontari Poe). In Denver, Dumervil about does it for the Broncos' DL for the time being.

Linebackers: Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Broncos

The Chiefs have stars at two of their four starting spots in Johnson and Hali, and an emerging talent in Houston. Their depth leaves something to be desired, but it's hard to argue with the two studs at the top. While SD lacks star power at LB right now, they have plenty of depth and a couple players who could become pro bowlers in time. The Broncos boast Von Miller as an emerging superstar, but Mays isn't a dynamic starter and D.J. Williams' talents are eroding. Oakland is just a mess at the 2nd level right now, though I do believe that Burris will do well there.

Secondary: Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Broncos

The Chiefs have three good starters in the back four when healthy. Routt and Flowers are probably the best CB tandem in the division right now, while Berry should pick up right where he left off coming back from injury. The Chargers boast Weddle and two decent players at corner, but Cason and Jammer will need to outplay last year to match the Chiefs' corners. The Raiders have a very respectable safety duo in Huff and Branch, but their cornerbacks are either too old, too young, or not very talented. In Denver, Champ can't keep it up forever and Tracy Porter was pretty awful a year ago. Their safeties are both unproven.

So if low score wins:

Chargers: 14

Chiefs: 13

Raiders: 17

Broncos: 27

So apparently I am really down on Denver this year. I do think that it will be the Chargers and Chiefs all the way down to the wire for the division. But the position scores should really be weighted because, even though the Chiefs score out lowest, our QB being so much better than theirs really throws things back in our favor. I think:

Chargers: 12-4
Chiefs: 10-6
Raiders: 7-9
Broncos: 6-10
In their eyes, we're last in almost every position.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I want to meet this genius so I can shake his hand.

Clearly this lad is going places.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Can't fix stupid
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

So... We win 8 games with Tebow, but will only win 6 with Peyton Manning?... Ok.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

How do we come in last for secondary? This list is bull****, no way do we finish last in every category
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

We suck so bad we will run away with the division. He lost me when he said Palmet showed anything that would lead anyone to think he is better than Peyton
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Chargers go 12-4 playing @NO, Atlanta, Baltimore, @Pitt, Carolina, and @Jets in late December

ROR!
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

This guy clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Stuck in Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Can't fix stupid
Exactly!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

adorable
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBronc78 View Post
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=94310

In their eyes, we're last in almost every position.
Have you considered playing along in the russian roulette thread

Worse thread content this year, 100 post rule must be observed.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
COBronc78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Have you considered playing along in the russian roulette thread

Worse thread content this year, 100 post rule must be observed.
Lol, thanks for the suggestion. I'll make sure not to listen to it in the future.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Broncos win division going away.....Peyton's gonna show everyone that he's got alot left in the tank....and we can now consistently win games 38-35 if we have to.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

"The Chargers are clearly the favorites here and it isn't close. Palmer showed me enough once he became comfortable in Oakland to rank above Peyton, who is a gigantic question mark. Manning very well could put this ranking to shame if he is indeed himself, but I'm not a believer no matter how objective I try to be."

Obviously, he was clearly being objective in his whole thread. Let the homer let his fun on his team's thread. He nailed it with Denver bringing up the rear for this coming season. We just needed to read it on the official chargers fan forum website.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
So... We win 8 games with Tebow, but will only win 6 with Peyton Manning?... Ok.
Come on, man. It's science!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Funny how a Good/Great TE elevates the Chargers Mediocre WR and TE's in His Line of Thinking.

However the Best DE, OLB and CB in the Division leaves us in the Cellar.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Is it just me, or is everyone else chomping at the bit for the season to begin so we can watch Denver kick our divisional opponents' collective teeth in?
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
jutang
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Funny how a Good/Great TE elevates the Chargers Mediocre WR and TE's in His Line of Thinking.

However the Best DE, OLB and CB in the Division leaves us in the Cellar.
But the third best qb in the afc west will hold us back
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

I notice how the charger fan conveniently left off coaching. Norval inherited a 14-2 loaded with talent at almost every position (A team that Dave Shula could have coached to a Super Bowl) and what did he do with that team? Won THREE playoff games in FIVE seasons. The chargers were the class of division for almost half a decade, the window has shut enjoy the memories of what could have and what will never be.

You can thank AJ Smith for putting all his eggs in in turner's basket which became the karmic albatross around his neck. When he fired chokenheimer it was ride or die with old turkey neck...

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Xenos
Who got Bunny Ears?

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Broncos win division going away.....Peyton's gonna show everyone that he's got alot left in the tank....and we can now consistently win games 38-35 if we have to.
He may very well do that. But considering that he always has problems against us for some reason even in his prime with Tony Dungy coaching on a better Colts team before last season, it's going to be a close year regardless. Now he's older, coming off a very interesting injury, and playing on presumably worst team than those early Colts and I like our chances. Especially given how well our offseason went.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If Rivers plays the way he did before last year, the Chargers will win the division.

Last edited by KCStud; 06-16-2012 at 06:36 PM..
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
If Rivers plays the way he did before last year, the Chargers will win the division.
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post

By throwing twenty interceptions?

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #24
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcver2ver3 View Post
Lol you're right. Maybe I should join the homer brigade that thinks that a team that went 1-5 against winning teams is suddenly superbowl contenders simply because of Peyton Manning.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #25
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
By throwing twenty interceptions?

Read the post again Rob. "Before last year".

Before last year Rivers had 30 TD's and 13 INT's.