The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default OT - Leaving for KSC tomorrow! Wooo Hooo

Going to Kennedy to show the kids the big old Saturn V stack! Plus they have new tours opening this year you can take of the VAB where the stacks were assembled! Can't wait to see the look of my 4 year old when he stands under the Saturn V for the 1st time and I can't wait to see the VAB for the 1st time!

Sadly we have to do like 4 days of a Disney Deathmarch first but once that is out of the way I have KSC to look forward to.

Hoping my neck and back cooperate, I can't do most of the fun rides but it will be nice to be there with the kids during the Deathmarch, I can always pop a handful of goofballs and pass out in the rose garden or the lame-o hall of presidents if it is hot. I lined up all my PT and Dr appointments for when I get back just incase my back freaks out on me.

I will post pictures of amazing feats of United States Rocketteering. It is awe-inspiring to think what the USA used to be able to do. I can't wait to see what is left of the sites where men began their journey to the FREAKING Moon!

The only thing better than going to KSC would be a guided tour by Gene of the MOCR in Houston.

Steve
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Don't go the KSC gift shop, you'll find your savings drained!

At least I know I did...
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Wave to me when you pass St Augustine

Have a great time!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Going to Kennedy to show the kids the big old Saturn V stack! Plus they have new tours opening this year you can take of the VAB where the stacks were assembled! Can't wait to see the look of my 4 year old when he stands under the Saturn V for the 1st time and I can't wait to see the VAB for the 1st time!

Sadly we have to do like 4 days of a Disney Deathmarch first but once that is out of the way I have KSC to look forward to.

Hoping my neck and back cooperate, I can't do most of the fun rides but it will be nice to be there with the kids during the Deathmarch, I can always pop a handful of goofballs and pass out in the rose garden or the lame-o hall of presidents if it is hot. I lined up all my PT and Dr appointments for when I get back just incase my back freaks out on me.

I will post pictures of amazing feats of United States Rocketteering. It is awe-inspiring to think what the USA used to be able to do. I can't wait to see what is left of the sites where men began their journey to the FREAKING Moon!

The only thing better than going to KSC would be a guided tour by Gene of the MOCR in Houston.

Steve

Steve, you are one of my favorite poster but you are nerd. Have fun on space coast and Disney Hell.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I so hate you

Looks like I will be heading to Florida mid/end of August for atleast a couple weeks. KSC is on the list for sure.

Do not forget to take your kids on the Shuttle experience... it is the best "attraction" around and you also better not forget to book your "Lunch with an Astronaut". My old girlfriend, her kids and I had the absolute best time doing both. If you miss either, I will track you down and kick you in the junk.

Have a great time.
I might get the kick in the junk.

I don't think I can do the Shuttle experience, too much shaking and stuff and we are opting for the 1st time ever offered VAB tour which is going to kill Lunch with an Astronaut. It all depends on how many days we stay out at the cape.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Steve, you are one of my favorite poster but you are nerd. Have fun on space coast and Disney Hell.
I am a total nerd and trying to do everything I can to make the kids nerds also.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I am a total nerd and trying to do everything I can to make the kids nerds also.
I thought i knew what a nerd was and then i went to a NASA kids camp....freaking awesome nerd powah.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Hit up Bronconstein for the best drug recommendations to survive the death march. He is in the know. Straight alcohol works for me then when I'm tired I hit the Tiki room for a nap.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Always enjoy KSC. Just an awesome place. Grab some Miami Heat gear for the kids while in FL.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Sounds like a great time, I love anything with "history". Whether your kids decide to be nerds, you've given them a great history memory. Have fun!
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Got home yesterday.

Had a great trip, kids didn't have near as many meltdowns as I thought though my 4 year old learned quickly how to say he had to go potty when we went into any kind of dark show he was afraid of. I know where all the bathrooms are in the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and KSC. I got to see Gene in the Epcot USA show so that made my day there.

I made it through 2 and a half of the 4 days of the Disney Deathmarch had I not rented the ECV each of those days I wouldn't have made that long.

We only got hit bad by the tropical storm Debbie one day in Orlando, we missed it the 2 days spent on Cocco Beach and at the KSC. Lucked into the Hilton with an ocean view room and beach access for a great rate, the days spent in the Space Coast were my favorite, we spent all day at KSC then played in the ocean and swam in the pool until dark. Glad we played that part of the trip by ear and picked a place we liked and negotiated the rate at the desk.

I will post some pic's of the VAB and KSC once everything is downloaded and I have more time. We were in the VAB the same time that Bob Cabana was taking a VIP tour, sadly we were directed not to take pictures of the people in the VAB.

They are making changes to the VAB and a launch platform and tower to host the SLS (Space Launch System) for deeper manned space flight. It was very interesting to see and learn that they will only be using 2 of the VAB's stalls for the SLS platform, the Orion capsule and Service module are much bigger than the old Apollo capsules, everything will be stacked on old Shuttle type reusable External type tanks with SRBs flanking for more boost. The tour guide said the stack will be shorter than the Saturn V but a lot more powerful. We got to see where they were storing the 19 old shuttle engines for reuse on the SLS, the old crawler, the new SLS platform and tower they are still adapting for the size of the SLS and got to go out to the old shuttle launch pads closer than I have ever been.

They are making a lot of changes to the KSC building a new auditorium to house the orbiter Atlantis next to the Shuttle experience, which because of my neck I could not go on. They were also moving and refurbing the rockets in the rocket garden, plus they have added 3 new tours. One almost needs 3 days and a lot of cash to hit all the sites.

The kids loved the Saturn V, the moonbuggy the moon landing show.

I loved playing with the kids at the beach, the VAB, standing under the Saturn V with my family and the Astronaut HOF.

Disney was kinda a let down, the park was under construction and packed, the Suite was nice and we had a lot of fun in the pool at the end of the day. We did lunch in the castle and it was kind of a let down, they only had 4 princesses and the menu had changed. Everything at Disney and Epcot seemed tired, old and run down and their service was not what it used to be.

I would like to go back to KSC in late 2014 to see the shuttle display and their new attractions.

I will post picks and more vacation fun once I have them.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

i usedta work at Patrick, support for KSC. loved watching the night launches. just unfricking unbelievable.
sent my daughter to spacecamp when she was 12. at KSC. it broadened her horizons to the whole earth. she is now FEARLESS. at 32 yrs old. skydiving, scuba you name it...she just eats it up.
NASA is all about that. all about giving our kids a direction to explore, a reason to go out there. we have lost that concept. its not about moon rocks. its not about commercialization. its about going into the unknown. Kranz knew that. we need to get that back.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
i usedta work at Patrick, support for KSC. loved watching the night launches. just unfricking unbelievable.
sent my daughter to spacecamp when she was 12. at KSC. it broadened her horizons to the whole earth. she is now FEARLESS. at 32 yrs old. skydiving, scuba you name it...she just eats it up.
NASA is all about that. all about giving our kids a direction to explore, a reason to go out there. we have lost that concept. its not about moon rocks. its not about commercialization. its about going into the unknown. Kranz knew that. we need to get that back.
Kahn just got bumped, your my new Mane hero!

With the new VAB tour they take you to the spot where they place the closest camera's and you get to see the pad in a whole new light. I had the 2 kids and was keeping an eye on my 4 year old and saw the ocean behind us and I suddenly realized that it was where pieces of Challenger landed. I have been on tours 2 other times and saw the pads before but it really struck home how close they really were to the sea. I explained to them how Challenger was launched on a very cold day and they went up for a couple miles and the O ring failed igniting the external tank and how the 7 Astronauts fell into the ocean a few miles away. It really struck home what we lost that day in January.

Kennedy is a stepping off point of mankinds greatest achievements but also the place where 10 people lost their lives which makes it hallowed ground for me.

After going to KSC and talking to the tour guide I like the SLS a lot more. Obama's WH wants NASA to be responsible for deep space manned missions and leave orbital stuff to private corporations. Hopefully the funding is there that in 5 years we are testing the new SLS heavy lift rockets and sending men deeper into space yet in my lifetime and getting back that feeling that we can do the other things not because they are easy but because they are hard.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

dude. am honored. drinks on the house!

my daughter and me watched challenger live. i can still remember the smells from Titusville.

heartbroken. it is hallowed ground.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote