The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default Help from Espresso makers

OK so I found this badass stainless steel Krups Espresso Machine at Arc fo $12. Obviously I bought it because these things run from $300-600.

The only problem is the boiler is backed up with calc.... I don't want to run the thing because the calc has clogged the foaming valve, and that might totally destroy the machine if I try it (not to mention a bad day for me if the pressure chamber explodes in my face).

I tried pouring vinegar in the boiler and let it sit for a couple weeks. That gout out a ton of it but the interior of the machine still has some calc that I cannot get off. The machine is static, so it would be hard to take the thing apart and descale the parts with a wire brush, but that might be what I'd have to do.

Any ideas on how to descale an espresso boiler?
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
OK so I found this badass stainless steel Krups Espresso Machine at Arc fo $12. Obviously I bought it because these things run from $300-600.

The only problem is the boiler is backed up with calc.... I don't want to run the thing because the calc has clogged the foaming valve, and that might totally destroy the machine if I try it (not to mention a bad day for me if the pressure chamber explodes in my face).

I tried pouring vinegar in the boiler and let it sit for a couple weeks. That gout out a ton of it but the interior of the machine still has some calc that I cannot get off. The machine is static, so it would be hard to take the thing apart and descale the parts with a wire brush, but that might be what I'd have to do.

Any ideas on how to descale an espresso boiler?
By calc do you mean calcium? - I would put some lye in there(not too strong) and run it through then flush it really well
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Save yourself the aggravation and get one of these.

Makes great espresso that most machines can't compete with. And you can take it on trips,

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPr...ords=aeropress
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
JJG
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

an aeropress is nice, but it doesn't make espresso
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
By calc do you mean calcium? - I would put some lye in there(not too strong) and run it through then flush it really well
There's a cleaner that specifically breaks down calcium deposits but I can't remember the name of the stuff right now. Anyhow, if you can find this stuff I'd run it through the esspresso machine and then yes, flush it out with some good filtered/bottled water.

Then moving forward, I'd only use filtered or bottled water in the machine so as to limit the calcium deposits in the future.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
There's a cleaner that specifically breaks down calcium deposits but I can't remember the name of the stuff right now. Anyhow, if you can find this stuff I'd run it through the esspresso machine and then yes, flush it out with some good filtered/bottled water.

Then moving forward, I'd only use filtered or bottled water in the machine so as to limit the calcium deposits in the future.
Problem averted, lol.

I went to Williams and Sonoma over at Aspen Grove and they got me the calcium cleaning liquid.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Anticalc kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Krups-Espres...-/280777608867
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
an aeropress is nice, but it doesn't make espresso
What do see as the key difference?

Quote:
"When used properly, AeroPress produces a remarkably good straight espresso and an excellent Americano-style taller cup.
In fact, it produces a better espresso shot than many home machines that cost twenty or thirty times as much."
Kenneth Davids – Author of: Coffee: A Guide to Buying Brewing and enjoying
Espresso: Ultimate Coffee
Coffee Roasting: Romance and Revival
editor of coffeereview.com
Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Save yourself the aggravation and get one of these.

Makes great espresso that most machines can't compete with. And you can take it on trips,

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPr...ords=aeropress
I already have an aeropress, french press, industrial drip machine, antique drip machine, an electronic grinder, an old-school cast-iron manual grinder, and steamer.

Yes, over the years I have spent probably thousands on my coffee products.

In college, we get $200 every quarter on our flex account for incidentals around campus. I literally only bought coffee with my flex, and I always used it up before the quarter ended.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
I already have an aeropress, french press, industrial drip machine, antique drip machine, an electronic grinder, a manual cast-iron stone grinder, and a steamer.

Yes, over the years I have spent probably thousands on my coffee products.

In college, we get $200 every quarter on our flex account for incidentals around campus. I literally only bought coffee with my flex, and I always used it up before the quarter ended.
I've also tried many different machines over the years, non of which justified the brewing and the clean up.

Finally settled into a french press and aeropress as the best all around coffee value and minimum clean up hassle.

Preference is subjective, but still better than Starbucks.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Mypressi twist and a hario grinder.

I was a professional Barista for 4 years, and competed frequently. Before my fiancé bought me a mypressi for Christmas, I had never tasted a good espresso shot from a home brewer. All it takes is some boiling water (I advise an electric kettle), NO or CO2 cartridges, and the mypressi. You have to master your tamp (35 pounds of pressure), and I suggest upgrading to a heavier tamp. The tamp they provide is plastic. The key to a good shot of espresso is a quality grind. If you really want to spend money you can buy an electric grinder, but I suggest a hand crank like the Harrio, or the Porlex. I personally have a Porlex ($75), and love the thing. The mypressi is either 200 or 250, and comes with cartridges. If your in the states you can find an electric kettle for under $40. A new tamp will cost you $15 on Amazon.

I'm telling you this is the best home espresso I have EVER had. My fiancé was also a Barista (that's how we met), and she agrees. Don't waste yor time with anything Krups makes, it isn't worth it.

Best place to buy beans:

Paradise coffee
Counter culture coffee
Barrington coffee roasters
Coffee by design
Crema Coffee (Cary NC)

Good luck brother.

Last edited by DivineLegion; 06-11-2012 at 07:09 PM..
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Do they sell this stuff in the States? Link

I just moved to Calgary and they have crazy hard water here, sounds like a lot of people use this to clean **** up.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Jay3

I have a Jura.

Just thought I'd brag about that.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Do they sell this stuff in the States? Link

I just moved to Calgary and they have crazy hard water here, sounds like a lot of people use this to clean **** up.
We do.

If your set on fixing the thing go to Bed Bath and Beyond, and get some decalcification detergent in the coffee section.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I have a Jura.

Just thought I'd brag about that.
Automatic...
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

I don't know why but the Starbucks here has great coffee. I get what's called Expresso Americana
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I don't know why but the Starbucks here has great coffee. I get what's called Expresso Americana
Cocain?

No, really though do you mean an espresso americano?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I just use a french press for my home brew. I do find that organic beans and good water make a huge difference in the taste. Of course, I like a nice strong cup of joe...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Cocain?

No, really though do you mean an espresso americano?
Ya.

....brain fart
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #20
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
I just use a french press for my home brew. I do find that organic beans and good water make a huge difference in the taste. Of course, I like a nice strong cup of joe...
BINGO

That's the secret IMO too.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #21
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I don't use a "hot" espresso maker. I actually create my espresso by cold-filtering. My wife likes one strength, I like another, so it allows you to make it as you wish.

Anyway, if you haven't cold filtered, I would highly reccommend trying it. It actually brews the coffee without most of the acids. You get an extremely rich complexity, but it is also very smooth. Many people who have stomach issues also use it for that reason.

I use the "Toddy" coffee system. I've had it for several years, and I think it only costs about $40.00. I've had several other friends that are coffee snobs/officionados that absolutely love it when I pour them a cup.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #22
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:

Have you ever tried a vacuum brewer? Cleanest cup of coffee you will ever try! It's not an every day sort of contraption but its great for weekends, and hosting friends. They are a little pricey (100-140), but better than every drip brewer ever made.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
JJG
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
What do see as the key difference?
Crema.

that quote is straight off the Aeropress box and is there to sell more machines.

the Aeropress can make a really nice coffee concentrate, with some espresso like characteristics, but its not true espresso. In the end, who cares as long as it taste good.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #24
JJG
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm on the fence about organic beans personally. Biggest difference for me is freshly roasted beans (less than 2 weeks old) and grinding with a good grinder right before brewing. Water is definitely important.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I don't use a "hot" espresso maker. I actually create my espresso by cold-filtering. My wife likes one strength, I like another, so it allows you to make it as you wish.

Anyway, if you haven't cold filtered, I would highly reccommend trying it. It actually brews the coffee without most of the acids. You get an extremely rich complexity, but it is also very smooth. Many people who have stomach issues also use it for that reason.

I use the "Toddy" coffee system. I've had it for several years, and I think it only costs about $40.00. I've had several other friends that are coffee snobs/officionados that absolutely love it when I pour them a cup.
I've been meaning to try cold filtering. Figured I could try it with a couple of jars and coffee filters just to see what it's like.

But I don't know if you could call anything cold-filtered an 'espresso'

I think heat is by definition part of the espresso process. And I can't imagine the flavor profile from pressure and heat extraction would be anything like steeping coffee in cold water.

But like I said, I'll give it a try one of these days.