The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,878

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default Help from Espresso makers

OK so I found this badass stainless steel Krups Espresso Machine at Arc fo $12. Obviously I bought it because these things run from $300-600.

The only problem is the boiler is backed up with calc.... I don't want to run the thing because the calc has clogged the foaming valve, and that might totally destroy the machine if I try it (not to mention a bad day for me if the pressure chamber explodes in my face).

I tried pouring vinegar in the boiler and let it sit for a couple weeks. That gout out a ton of it but the interior of the machine still has some calc that I cannot get off. The machine is static, so it would be hard to take the thing apart and descale the parts with a wire brush, but that might be what I'd have to do.

Any ideas on how to descale an espresso boiler?
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
kappys
Ring of Famer
 
kappys's Avatar
 
“It will be of little avail to the

Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
OK so I found this badass stainless steel Krups Espresso Machine at Arc fo $12. Obviously I bought it because these things run from $300-600.

The only problem is the boiler is backed up with calc.... I don't want to run the thing because the calc has clogged the foaming valve, and that might totally destroy the machine if I try it (not to mention a bad day for me if the pressure chamber explodes in my face).

I tried pouring vinegar in the boiler and let it sit for a couple weeks. That gout out a ton of it but the interior of the machine still has some calc that I cannot get off. The machine is static, so it would be hard to take the thing apart and descale the parts with a wire brush, but that might be what I'd have to do.

Any ideas on how to descale an espresso boiler?
By calc do you mean calcium? - I would put some lye in there(not too strong) and run it through then flush it really well
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,669

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Save yourself the aggravation and get one of these.

Makes great espresso that most machines can't compete with. And you can take it on trips,




http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPr...ords=aeropress
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
JJG
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 350

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

an aeropress is nice, but it doesn't make espresso
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,288

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
By calc do you mean calcium? - I would put some lye in there(not too strong) and run it through then flush it really well
There's a cleaner that specifically breaks down calcium deposits but I can't remember the name of the stuff right now. Anyhow, if you can find this stuff I'd run it through the esspresso machine and then yes, flush it out with some good filtered/bottled water.

Then moving forward, I'd only use filtered or bottled water in the machine so as to limit the calcium deposits in the future.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,878

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
There's a cleaner that specifically breaks down calcium deposits but I can't remember the name of the stuff right now. Anyhow, if you can find this stuff I'd run it through the esspresso machine and then yes, flush it out with some good filtered/bottled water.

Then moving forward, I'd only use filtered or bottled water in the machine so as to limit the calcium deposits in the future.
Problem averted, lol.

I went to Williams and Sonoma over at Aspen Grove and they got me the calcium cleaning liquid.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,878

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Anticalc kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Krups-Espres...-/280777608867
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,669

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
an aeropress is nice, but it doesn't make espresso
What do see as the key difference?

Quote:
"When used properly, AeroPress produces a remarkably good straight espresso and an excellent Americano-style taller cup.
In fact, it produces a better espresso shot than many home machines that cost twenty or thirty times as much."
Kenneth Davids – Author of: Coffee: A Guide to Buying Brewing and enjoying
Espresso: Ultimate Coffee
Coffee Roasting: Romance and Revival
editor of coffeereview.com
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,878

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Save yourself the aggravation and get one of these.

Makes great espresso that most machines can't compete with. And you can take it on trips,




http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPr...ords=aeropress
I already have an aeropress, french press, industrial drip machine, antique drip machine, an electronic grinder, an old-school cast-iron manual grinder, and steamer.

Yes, over the years I have spent probably thousands on my coffee products.

In college, we get $200 every quarter on our flex account for incidentals around campus. I literally only bought coffee with my flex, and I always used it up before the quarter ended.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,669

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
I already have an aeropress, french press, industrial drip machine, antique drip machine, an electronic grinder, a manual cast-iron stone grinder, and a steamer.

Yes, over the years I have spent probably thousands on my coffee products.

In college, we get $200 every quarter on our flex account for incidentals around campus. I literally only bought coffee with my flex, and I always used it up before the quarter ended.
I've also tried many different machines over the years, non of which justified the brewing and the clean up.

Finally settled into a french press and aeropress as the best all around coffee value and minimum clean up hassle.

Preference is subjective, but still better than Starbucks.
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,793

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Mypressi twist and a hario grinder.

I was a professional Barista for 4 years, and competed frequently. Before my fiancé bought me a mypressi for Christmas, I had never tasted a good espresso shot from a home brewer. All it takes is some boiling water (I advise an electric kettle), NO or CO2 cartridges, and the mypressi. You have to master your tamp (35 pounds of pressure), and I suggest upgrading to a heavier tamp. The tamp they provide is plastic. The key to a good shot of espresso is a quality grind. If you really want to spend money you can buy an electric grinder, but I suggest a hand crank like the Harrio, or the Porlex. I personally have a Porlex ($75), and love the thing. The mypressi is either 200 or 250, and comes with cartridges. If your in the states you can find an electric kettle for under $40. A new tamp will cost you $15 on Amazon.

I'm telling you this is the best home espresso I have EVER had. My fiancé was also a Barista (that's how we met), and she agrees. Don't waste yor time with anything Krups makes, it isn't worth it.


Best place to buy beans:

Paradise coffee
Counter culture coffee
Barrington coffee roasters
Coffee by design
Crema Coffee (Cary NC)


Good luck brother.

Last edited by DivineLegion; 06-11-2012 at 07:09 PM..
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
PRBronco
_never forget_
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,376

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

Do they sell this stuff in the States? Link

I just moved to Calgary and they have crazy hard water here, sounds like a lot of people use this to clean **** up.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I have a Jura.

Just thought I'd brag about that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #14
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,793

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Do they sell this stuff in the States? Link

I just moved to Calgary and they have crazy hard water here, sounds like a lot of people use this to clean **** up.
We do.


If your set on fixing the thing go to Bed Bath and Beyond, and get some decalcification detergent in the coffee section.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,793

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I have a Jura.

Just thought I'd brag about that.
Automatic...
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,717

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

I don't know why but the Starbucks here has great coffee. I get what's called Expresso Americana
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,793

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I don't know why but the Starbucks here has great coffee. I get what's called Expresso Americana
Cocain?

No, really though do you mean an espresso americano?
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,288

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

I just use a french press for my home brew. I do find that organic beans and good water make a huge difference in the taste. Of course, I like a nice strong cup of joe...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,717

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Cocain?

No, really though do you mean an espresso americano?
Ya.



....brain fart
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #20
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,717

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I just use a french press for my home brew. I do find that organic beans and good water make a huge difference in the taste. Of course, I like a nice strong cup of joe...
BINGO

That's the secret IMO too.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #21
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,753

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

I don't use a "hot" espresso maker. I actually create my espresso by cold-filtering. My wife likes one strength, I like another, so it allows you to make it as you wish.

Anyway, if you haven't cold filtered, I would highly reccommend trying it. It actually brews the coffee without most of the acids. You get an extremely rich complexity, but it is also very smooth. Many people who have stomach issues also use it for that reason.

I use the "Toddy" coffee system. I've had it for several years, and I think it only costs about $40.00. I've had several other friends that are coffee snobs/officionados that absolutely love it when I pour them a cup.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #22
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,793

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
There's a cleaner that specifically breaks down calcium deposits but I can't remember the name of the stuff right now. Anyhow, if you can find this stuff I'd run it through the esspresso machine and then yes, flush it out with some good filtered/bottled water.

Then moving forward, I'd only use filtered or bottled water in the machine so as to limit the calcium deposits in the future.
Have you ever tried a vacuum brewer? Cleanest cup of coffee you will ever try! It's not an every day sort of contraption but its great for weekends, and hosting friends. They are a little pricey (100-140), but better than every drip brewer ever made.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #23
JJG
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 350

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
What do see as the key difference?
Crema.

that quote is straight off the Aeropress box and is there to sell more machines.

the Aeropress can make a really nice coffee concentrate, with some espresso like characteristics, but its not true espresso. In the end, who cares as long as it taste good.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #24
JJG
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 350

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I just use a french press for my home brew. I do find that organic beans and good water make a huge difference in the taste. Of course, I like a nice strong cup of joe...
I'm on the fence about organic beans personally. Biggest difference for me is freshly roasted beans (less than 2 weeks old) and grinding with a good grinder right before brewing. Water is definitely important.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I don't use a "hot" espresso maker. I actually create my espresso by cold-filtering. My wife likes one strength, I like another, so it allows you to make it as you wish.

Anyway, if you haven't cold filtered, I would highly reccommend trying it. It actually brews the coffee without most of the acids. You get an extremely rich complexity, but it is also very smooth. Many people who have stomach issues also use it for that reason.

I use the "Toddy" coffee system. I've had it for several years, and I think it only costs about $40.00. I've had several other friends that are coffee snobs/officionados that absolutely love it when I pour them a cup.
I've been meaning to try cold filtering. Figured I could try it with a couple of jars and coffee filters just to see what it's like.

But I don't know if you could call anything cold-filtered an 'espresso'

I think heat is by definition part of the espresso process. And I can't imagine the flavor profile from pressure and heat extraction would be anything like steeping coffee in cold water.

But like I said, I'll give it a try one of these days.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Denver Broncos