The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Some Pre-Camp Final Roster Guesses

A few nuggets I gathered this week from various interviews led me to my first time-wasting 53-man guess. So let's cut some guys before they've even practiced!

* Don't be surprised at a more veteran-laden team than we've seen in the past few years. The Manning signing means the team is in win-now mode so where in years past a UDFA backup may get the benefit over an aging vet, that may no longer be the case.

* Often we focused on special teams for the final players to round out the roster. However with the move up in kickoffs and playing at altitude, less emphasis may be placed here than in the past. This might help an older skilled player or extra line,an stick around.

(3) QB: Peyton Manning, Caleb Hanie, Brock Osweiler

Just as last year, they don't have to officially declare a #2, I don't expect they will. Weber to PS again if they can sneak him through.

(4) RB: Willis McGahee, Ronnie Hillman, Lance Ball, Chris Gronkowski [FB]

I believe Moreno will be dealt late in the preseason for a late-conditional pick or in a swap for backup at another position. New England and Indy are possibilities. Fannin's got a shot but my guess is they try for PS unless he really explodes in preseason games.

(3) WR: Demaryius Thomas, Bubba Caldwell, Jason Hill
(3) WR: Eric Decker, Brandon Stokley, Matt Willis

Normally I wouldn't think Stokley  makes it but on this Manning- team I think he starts as the slot WR. I also go with Hill over the Dell/Goodwin crowd because of his experience. I think Robinson's got a good shot for the PS.

(1) TE: Joel Dreessen, Virgil Green*
(2) TE: Jacob Tamme, Julius Thomas

Pretty easy, although if Thomas isn't ready for camp I wouldn't be surprised if he was PuP'ed (has to be before camp) and Ingram or Miller stands in as the backup "Flex TE"

(2) LT: Ryan Clady, Chris Clark
(1) LG: Zane Beadles
(2) C: JD Walton, Philip Blake
(2) RG: Chris Kuper, CJ Davis
(2) RT: Orlando Franklin, Ryan Harris

Veteran depth outside Blake who could seriously push to start. Went with the veteran Davis in case Kuper is slow coming back from injury

(2) DE: Elvis Dumervil, Jason Hunter
(2) DT: Justin Bannan, Sealver Siliga
(2) DT: Kevin Vickerson, Ty Warren
(3) DE: Derek Wolfe, Robert Ayers, Malik Jackson

I expect heavy rotation and think we'll see Wolfe at DE in the base a lot. Remember, the Broncos very much subscribe to theory it's a passing league and expect to be in the lead a lot. That means Wolfe at DT and Miller at DE. Interested to see if Beal's gotten any better.

(2) WLB: DJ Williams*, Wesley Woodyard, Danny Trevathan
(2) MLB: Joe Mays, Nate Irving
(1) SLB: Von Miller

I'm thinking with Haggan gone and Von pass rushing a lot, DJ may be moving to Sam quite a bit or they might look to bring in a vet closer to camp, maybe via trade.

(3) CB: Champ Bailey, Chris Harris, Omar Bolden
(2) FS: Mike Adams, Rahim Moore
(3) SS: Quinton Carter, David Bruton, Rafeal Bush
(3) CB: Tracy Porter, Drayton Florence, Syd'Quan Thompson

Remember, their emphasis is the pass and Elway's comments you can't have enough good DBs in today's NFL and he believes they were killed when teams spread them out last year.

(1) K: Matt Prater
(1) P: Britton Colquitt
(1) DS: Lonie Paxton

* Suspended
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,299

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

What's you take on the future of Weber Montrose?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 10,075
Default

The only problem is you have 26 on Offense.

1. Only keep 5 WR's
2. Fannin over Ball
3. Judie over Thompson
4. Cut Bush when D.J. comes back (if D.J. isn't suspended Bush doesn't make the team)


Otherwise, I agree completely with your analysis.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 37,136

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

The MethWolfe is already projected to be ahead of Ayers?
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,294

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Montrose, shouldn't you be getting ready for your wedding? I'm already dressed for it...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 37,136

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Montrose, shouldn't you be getting ready for your wedding? I'm already dressed for it...
Wow...congrats to Montrose!

Awesome
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,230

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

I don't think keeping 3 RBs is an option, it is a position with a very high rate of attrition especially with someone who is over 30 and a rookie carrying the load.

6 WRs is an option, but since neither Jason Hill or Willis are ST aces, I doubt we keep both if Stokley makes the roster. We have some good WR depth who can go on PS.

If Kuper is ready to go for TC and all 5 presumed starters make it through camp and preseason we will only have 8 OL on the roster. Blake is a utility backup for the interior positions.

I don't buy the 5-11 split between linebackers and DBs, you always need extra linebackers. My guess right now would be Bush or Bruton gets cut and we keep either Jerry Franklin or Mike Mohammed on the roster - alternatively if we do trade Moreno we keep the LB we get back in return.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,750
Default

^ You read my mind, gylden. Perhaps a little light at RB and LB, a little heavy at WR and DB.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I don't think keeping 3 RBs is an option, it is a position with a very high rate of attrition especially with someone who is over 30 and a rookie carrying the load.

6 WRs is an option, but since neither Jason Hill or Willis are ST aces, I doubt we keep both if Stokley makes the roster. We have some good WR depth who can go on PS.

If Kuper is ready to go for TC and all 5 presumed starters make it through camp and preseason we will only have 8 OL on the roster. Blake is a utility backup for the interior positions.

I don't buy the 5-11 split between linebackers and DBs, you always need extra linebackers. My guess right now would be Bush or Bruton gets cut and we keep either Jerry Franklin or Mike Mohammed on the roster - alternatively if we do trade Moreno we keep the LB we get back in return.
I do not think Stokley makes the roster. I think he was brought in for his leadership in training camp.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,294

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Montrose is officially married, folks. No joke, his wedding colors are orange and blue.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,559
Default

(3) WR: Demaryius Thomas, Bubba Caldwell, Jason Hill
(3) WR: Eric Decker, Brandon Stokley, Matt Willis

I think Eric Page makes the regular season roster.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,230

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Montrose is officially married, folks. No joke, his wedding colors are orange and blue.
Lets have a last salute for a fallen bachelor *whip*.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mandan
Posts: 4,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I do not think Stokley makes the roster. I think he was brought in for his leadership in training camp.
The same thing was said last time, and that was his best season in Denver. I think his knowledge of what Manning does, and how things work in Denver keep him around.


Montrose you think we'll see more single back than usual with a TE motioned to do the lead blocking to make more recieving options for Manning, similar to what was used in Indy?

Also didn't they expand the rosters this year?
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
The same thing was said last time, and that was his best season in Denver. I think his knowledge of what Manning does, and how things work in Denver keep him around.


Montrose you think we'll see more single back than usual with a TE motioned to do the lead blocking to make more recieving options for Manning, similar to what was used in Indy?

Also didn't they expand the rosters this year?
I guess I am hoping that one of the young guys steps up. It would be nice to have a breakout season by Page or someone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
El Jué
Somewhat disillusioned
 
El Jué's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 294

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gene Mingo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
(3) QB: Peyton Manning, Caleb Hanie, Brock Osweiler
I know that this is the truth, but it just looks like so much worse an idea when they're all bunched together like that.
El Jué is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mandan
Posts: 4,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I guess I am hoping that one of the young guys steps up. It would be nice to have a breakout season by Page or someone.
I sure would be nice to have Eddie around...I think he is more reliable than DT and fear DT will do something to get himself in trouble sooner rather than later.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #17
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
I sure would be nice to have Eddie around...I think he is more reliable than DT and fear DT will do something to get himself in trouble sooner rather than later.
I agree, I think Royal is going to be a great all-around threat for the Chuggers. I hope he doesn't burn Denver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,965

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Too much invested in Moreno for him not to make the squad. Fannin makes the team after Moreno gets injured.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #19
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Too much invested in Moreno for him not to make the squad. Fannin makes the team after Moreno gets injured.
Elway does not have anything invested in Moreno. Personally, I think Moreno could trive in this offense but if he does not produce Elway, Fox will have no problem whatsoever showing him the door.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:28 AM   #20
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,965

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Elway does not have anything invested in Moreno. Personally, I think Moreno could trive in this offense but if he does not produce Elway, Fox will have no problem whatsoever showing him the door.
Moreno is first round talent, and makes pennies. It doesn't make sense to cut him just yet. Especially in this new offense.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #21
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Moreno is first round talent, and makes pennies. It doesn't make sense to cut him just yet. Especially in this new offense.
Alphonso Smith was a first round draft pick as well. If Moreno doesn't produce they'll cut him with no regrets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,064

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Moreno is first round talent, and makes pennies. It doesn't make sense to cut him just yet. Especially in this new offense.
So we either have too much invested in him or he's here for pennies, which is it?

Good riddance I say.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #23
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 17,417

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Congrats Montrose.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
ward63
Go Broncos!
 
ward63's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,228

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert
Default

Moreno can be Peyton's new Addia
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #25
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis
 
Hulamau's Avatar
 
In the Pocket

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hulaville and Sedona
Posts: 9,513

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
(3) WR: Demaryius Thomas, Bubba Caldwell, Jason Hill
(3) WR: Eric Decker, Brandon Stokley, Matt Willis

I think Eric Page makes the regular season roster.
they might keep him as a KR who also plays some slot.

Sounds like Stokley has a leg up for this 'win now' season with his connection and rhythm with Manning .. not to mention he is an invaluable teacher for the other WRs in helping then grasp and understand much quicker all the ins and outs of playing WR for the Maestro.

Last edited by Hulamau; 06-10-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Denver Broncos