The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball
Default D-Day

In memory of all those who stormed the beaches of Normandy. IMO the bravest Americans in history.

ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

we should watch the longest day and saving private ryan again just to remind ourselves how much courage it took to land a beach like that. if you're not scared ****less you're not alive.

but bravest? every generation of Americans, when called, has been the bravest. Valley Forge? Chosin Reservoir? Khe Sahn? Gettysburg? Belleau Wood? Mogadishu? every generation has patriots who answered the call and gave all.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Awesome, it gives me chills just thinking about it.

They are playing the footage of it on TV here.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Happy B Day Fellas!!!
Attached Images
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure an Option for this team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

What those men did back in '45 is amazing. Took a lot of guts just to board the boats.

I read both the "Longest Day" and "With the old breed at Okinawa and Peliu" and not sure what I would have done if faced with those options.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
In memory of all those who stormed the beaches of Normandy. IMO the bravest Americans in history.

United Kingdom
United States
Canada
Free France
Poland
Norway
Australia
New Zealand
Netherlands
Belgium
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post

United Kingdom
United States
Canada
Free France
Poland
Norway
Australia
New Zealand
Netherlands
Belgium
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

The courage of those men is difficult to find in the hearts of men of our time. Time has dulled our memory to the full impact of their actions that day. My generation called them grandfather. My children know little if anything of their sacrifice and the many friends who never returned to enjoy the bounty of this great Nation. God bless them all.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
we should watch the longest day and saving private ryan again just to remind ourselves how much courage it took to land a beach like that. if you're not scared ****less you're not alive.

but bravest? every generation of Americans, when called, has been the bravest. Valley Forge? Chosin Reservoir? Khe Sahn? Gettysburg? Belleau Wood? Mogadishu? every generation has patriots who answered the call and gave all.
True enough, though unloading from those floating tin can coffins at Omaha beach on 6-6-44 with a horde of MG-42s and MG-34s pouring hellacious rates of fire into those crates when the front draw dropped down near the beach scored a 10+ on the sphincter suction-to-inner lips pucker factor for sure!

Last edited by Hulamau; 06-06-2012 at 07:24 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

My grandpa was at Omaha beach. Second wave I believe. He made it through the war, but died in '75, over a decade before I was born.

My dad said he never really talked about the war, which isn't shocking whatsoever. God bless him and all other veterans.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
driver
Pro Bowler

Second Oldest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Quote:
What those men did back in '45 is amazing. Took a lot of guts just to board the boats.

I read both the "Longest Day" and "With the old breed at Okinawa and Peliu" and not sure what I would have done if faced with those options.
Actually it was in "44" a typo I assume.
As for what you would have done you would probably volunteered for one of the service branch's, and when the time came you would've prayed to your diety, stod up and walked into the guns, like every generation of AMERICAN'S have always done.
As for the people asking what about this generation? I cite an nfl player who volunteered and served and died for our nation. Sgt Pat Tillman US Army Ranger. HOOOAAHHH!
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure an Option for this team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
Actually it was in "44" a typo I assume.
As for what you would have done you would probably volunteered for one of the service branch's, and when the time came you would've prayed to your diety, stod up and walked into the guns, like every generation of AMERICAN'S have always done.
As for the people asking what about this generation? I cite an nfl player who volunteered and served and died for our nation. Sgt Pat Tillman US Army Ranger. HOOOAAHHH!
It is tough getting old and I was in a hurry to leave the house.

If they would have taken me I likely would have done like you said.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post

And the soldiers at Huertgen Forest, St Vith & Bastogne, the fliers of Torpedo 8 at Midway, the destroyermen of Taffy 3 at Leyte Gulf.....the list goes on and on. I'm in awe of all of them.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
My grandpa was at Omaha beach. Second wave I believe. He made it through the war, but died in '75, over a decade before I was born.

My dad said he never really talked about the war, which isn't shocking whatsoever. God bless him and all other veterans.
Yep my dad passed away last year was in a tank in WWII came home and never spoke about it. The memories haunted him his whole life though.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

Your duty, Steven. To your buddies.

Add "Helmet For My Pillow" by Robert Leckie to Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" to fill out the USMC perspective on the Pacific.

As for the difference between the those who served on D-day and in WWII, and today's service members.....Chesty Puller put it best: "Old Breed? New Breed? There's not a damned bit of difference, so long as it's the Marine Breed." Same for all of the branches, then and now.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Your duty, Steven. To your buddies.

Add "Helmet For My Pillow" by Robert Leckie to Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" to fill out the USMC perspective on the Pacific.

As for the difference between the those who served on D-day and in WWII, and today's service members.....Chesty Puller put it best: "Old Breed? New Breed? There's not a damned bit of difference, so long as it's the Marine Breed." Same for all of the branches, then and now.
My Dad served under Chesty on Guadalcanal. For WWII that was just frickin amazing. My Dad NEVER spoke about it. All I know is that he got 2 purple hearts and malaria.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
And the soldiers at Huertgen Forest, St Vith & Bastogne, the fliers of Torpedo 8 at Midway, the destroyermen of Taffy 3 at Leyte Gulf.....the list goes on and on. I'm in awe of all of them.
Grandfather was in Battle of Bastogne. I get choked up watching Band of Brothers thinking what my grandpa went through, like others on the board he never talked about it and I was too young to appreciate what he'd done in life. Wish I had an afternoon now to talk to him about it. Thanks for all you did guys.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

I've been to Normandy and walked Omaha beach. It's a seriously amazing experience for anyone with an appreciation of WWII.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote