The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default OT: For all you computer geeks....good build in Tom's Hardware

Under $2000 ($1,741)....hellavu system.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-680,3212.html
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Looks solid. The Antec 900 has the worst cable management of any chassis ever made. Ever.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Looks solid. The Antec 900 has the worst cable management of any chassis ever made. Ever.
Really? Good to know.

I'm looking to build my own system (for the first time) and my budget would be about $2,000 tops.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm supposed to be impressed by something that takes no more work than going to newegg and looking for the top of the line part in every category and maybe, just maybe checking for the lowest price between makers?
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
glennst
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Really? Good to know.

I'm looking to build my own system (for the first time) and my budget would be about $2,000 tops.
The 680 GTX is a winner in both perf and thermals. I have 2 in my system . Highly recommended!
glennst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennst View Post
The 680 GTX is a winner in both perf and thermals. I have 2 in my system . Highly recommended!
Wow. Two??

I heard, however, that the 670 is still a great card and far cheaper. Not sure what I'll do.

What do you do that you need TWO 680's ??
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
I'm supposed to be impressed by something that takes no more work than going to newegg and looking for the top of the line part in every category and maybe, just maybe checking for the lowest price between makers?
Whatever, man. I'm FAR from a computer expert.....but I know enough to know that there's a LOT more to it than that. Tom's Hardware does all the benchmarking and test for noise and thermals. They are one of the most respected sources for HW and Tech news on the internet.

So glad you're here to give us your awesome, constructive opinion.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Has Antec ever made a case with good cable management? I have build rigs with 3 different antec cases and they all had atrocious cable management and space.

My old thermaltake box was so much nicer.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Has Antec ever made a case with good cable management? I have build rigs with 3 different antec cases and they all had atrocious cable management and space.

My brother builds his own systems.....he tells me he's into Corsair and Cooler Master. Cases are like cars.....there are millions and everyone has their favs.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Whatever, man. I'm FAR from a computer expert.....but I know enough to know that there's a LOT more to it than that. Tom's Hardware does all the benchmarking and test for noise and thermals. They are one of the most respected sources for HW and Tech news on the internet.

So glad you're here to give us your awesome, constructive opinion.
Being a real computer expert, and a hobbyist that has been assembling rigs for over 20 years, I can firmly say they didn't do anything to warrant an article here. Every component there is cookie cutter from the list of popular brands. Boring, click generating fluff.

Tom's used to be pretty great, 15 years ago, but they sold out hard.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Being a real computer expert, and a hobbyist that has been assembling rigs for over 20 years, I can firmly say they didn't do anything to warrant an article here. Every component there is cookie cutter from the list of popular brands. Boring, click generating fluff.

Tom's used to be pretty great, 15 years ago, but they sold out hard.
I bet you are absolutely right. They probably did just go buy popular stuff and not base it on any of their extensive reviews of all types of components regardless of popularity. I'm sure I must have been wrong in assuming that their articles and advice actually drive sales of parts and cause them to be popular. Could you please point out where on Newegg I could find benchmarking results of games and productivity software? I must have missed that. Thanks again...you should start your own blog or something!

Opinions vary.....
Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I bet you are absolutely right. They probably did just go buy popular stuff and not base it on any of their extensive reviews of all types of components regardless of popularity. I'm sure I must have been wrong in assuming that their articles and advice actually drive sales of parts and cause them to be popular. Could you please point out where on Newegg I could find benchmarking results of games and productivity software? I must have missed that. Thanks again...you should start your own blog or something!
Don't get your panties in a bunch, the article even admits it's a pop contest build.

Quote:
Opinions vary.....
Irony
Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Just ordered my gtx 690 for my budget build on my 6690 post.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:

My 1100 is actually really good, but it's on the large side for a midtower. The 300 V2 is supposed to be decent also.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Just ordered my gtx 690 for my budget build on my 6690 post.
blargh, I bought a 570 in January.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
blargh, I bought a 570 in January.
I still have a 9800 GTX+. Not a bad card....runs D3, Starcraft II on max settings.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

The Performance One series (at least since the P182) has always been decent (but certainly not great) for cable management

The new P280 has what looks like very nice cable management. I've always enjoyed the styling and quiet computing aspects of that series of Antec cases, though the newer ones are steel instead of aluminum which makes them really heavy.

It's looks pretty much identical to the upscale Corsairs in terms of cable management (lots of room behind the MB, grommeted holes, etc.).
Old 06-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
glennst
Rookie

Quote:
Wow. Two??

I heard, however, that the 670 is still a great card and far cheaper. Not sure what I'll do.

What do you do that you need TWO 680's ??
BF3 on 3 24" monitors . For a single monitor, a 670 is probably fine and will be a better value than a 680.
glennst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
My brother builds his own systems.....he tells me he's into Corsair and Cooler Master. Cases are like cars.....there are millions and everyone has their favs.
Cooler Master is great. Lots of places to tie cables and hide them away.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have to agree with Fedaykin here. I know just enough to be able to build a computer from components and manuals but don't do any overclocking or anything like that. That said, I've produced pretty good computers and am happily playing Diablo 3 on a computer that's ~3 years old and I've bought a ~$60 graphics card and added $50 in ram a week or two ago.

So, I have a VERY budget build from 3 years ago that still runs well, can play my games, and I've put just over a hundred bucks into the thing in the last year and they're gonna impress us that they can build a desktop for $1700? Congrats? I was actually more interested in the $600 gaming PC or whatever that was mentioned but I didn't see a link to it (but didn't try too hard).

If you've got the money, anyone can build a computer. $1700 for a tower is pretty silly these days so it's no accomplishment, really. To even get that high you pretty much have to be grabbing things as they come off the line (as it says they pretty much did).
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #21
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

For just a small upcharge, they could have gone with the tk421 modification. Kicks the system up 3-4 quads per channel.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
I came here to say this.

Go with a Corsair 650D.

Amazing.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #23
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

even if you buy a card today it'll be outdated in a week
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #24
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
even if you buy a card today it'll be outdated in a week
Which is another reason why it's stupid to even consider a desktop this expensive. This week's model isn't a big increase over last week's model in anything but price. You'd have to be foolish many times over to blow $2k on a desktop build.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #25
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

No thanks.

2k+ comps are good to look at, but in terms of value you get 80%+ of the performance for less than half the price when you go w/ an i5/7870 based build.

Not that I ever build these things anymore now that the software makers no longer come up w/ anything that really stresses the hardware.

If you really want to build something for 2k+, its obviously to show off, in that case, you shouldn't be spending 2K, you should spend the full 3k and deck it out with lights, water cooling, a $300+ dollar case, and even an LCD temperature gauge in the front.

Go big or go home.

Last edited by Willynowei; 06-07-2012 at 12:37 AM..
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote