The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who will have a better rookie season?
Andrew Luck 18 27.69%
Robert Griffin III 47 72.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default The Arm

ASHBURN, Va. – The power is so great the Washington Redskins don't describe their prodigy's throwing as a verb but rather a noun.
"The Arm," they say. And every conversation about Robert Griffin III includes some mention of "The Arm" because those players who have experienced it don't appear to have seen something quite like "The Arm" before.

They try to describe it, putting into words the strength that awes them. And as they do, the stories get larger and seemingly more preposterous, except that the men don't smile when they tell them. They say "The Arm" is real, even if their attempts to make it come to life sound ridiculous.
"It's more of running to your left and flicking your wrist and throwing the ball 70 yards," Washington's backup quarterback Rex Grossman said, as if it was the most natural thing in the world.
Then he shook his head.
"His arm almost comes off like a whip," Grossman added, holding his own hand above his head, then flinging it forward about a foot in a vain attempt to demonstrate the way Griffin throws.
It looks a lot like the way Michael Vick throws, Grossman finally said. Perhaps nobody in the NFL throws the ball harder with seemingly less effort than Vick. Except maybe now, RG III.

The Rest: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ro...kins-camp.html
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I voted, but probably incorrectly. I am just getting worn down by the RGIII hype. Its not fair to him cause Luck had all the hype for like a year before RGIII hype picked up. I'm just tired of the hype. Give me some antihype.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
I voted, but probably incorrectly. I am just getting worn down by the RGIII hype. Its not fair to him cause Luck had all the hype for like a year before RGIII hype picked up. I'm just tired of the hype. Give me some antihype.
Yeah, the article is pretty ridiculous. Still, after reading up on RG III, it's hard not to like him.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

RG3 is going into a better situation then Luck. The Colts are a mess, total tear down and rebuild. Luck is going to have a rough one this year.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I do not think he'll ever live up to the hype. I don't think he should have won the Heisman. I don't think he'll be successful in Washington either as a passer.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
RG3 is going into a better situation then Luck. The Colts are a mess, total tear down and rebuild. Luck is going to have a rough one this year.
Maybe intially, but over time the Redskins will still be owned by a complete dumbassery style front office football team.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I don't like Griffin's chances, he didn't have a playbook at Baylor, just a few plays they repeated, mostly it was sandlot football to take advantage of his natural athleticism and powerful arm. We know that Shanahan has a huge playbook and likes to mix it up every week, I don't think Shanahan and Griffin are a good match. Counting against Griffin is that he is in a very strong division - there is a very real chance that all 3 divisional opponents could go above .500 this year.

Luck comes into a situation where it is all about him, nobody cares if the team sucks and people will be happy just to see him alive. He also plays in one of the weakest divisions in football with two teams in Jacksonville and Tennessee who could struggle to be competitive given their QB situations.

There is no doubt to me that Griffin is the better natural talent, he has power, size, athleticism and a very nice throwing motion, but I don't think he is ready for an NFL offense. Luck is mentally ready from day 1, he has one of his favourite targets from college at starting TE and you know the offense is going to be tailored around him.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I don't think Shanahan and Griffin are a good match.
Why not?

If nothing else Shanahan has shown the ability to get the most out of his QBs talents, and RGIII, as you said, has a ton of them.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
I don't like Griffin's chances, he didn't have a playbook at Baylor, just a few plays they repeated, mostly it was sandlot football to take advantage of his natural athleticism and powerful arm.
I used to think the same thing. I thought Newton was going to be a huge bust for that very reason. Now I am not so sure.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Maybe intially, but over time the Redskins will still be owned by a complete dumbassery style front office football team.
I hear Shanahan is sniffing around Nate Webster.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
R-Mac

Andrew Luck. I think he will be very comfortable with the 2-TE system in Indianapolis, throwing to Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen. I also expect some good things from RB Donald Brown this season. Reggie Wayne will help Luck. The situation is not that bad. Mario Williams left the division. The other teams in the division don't have a lot of pass rush. And Luck is used to playing under center and getting rid of the ball quickly.

Robert Griffin will have to adjust to a pro-style offense, and Shanahan will probably throw a lot of concepts at him. I'm curious to see Griffin leading that offense once the bullets start flying. And he will constantly face top pass rushers in that division. Eagles, Giants, Cowboys. These defenses can put a lot of pressure on the QB. And these teams can score a lot of points, so Griffin will have be very productive.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Why not?

If nothing else Shanahan has shown the ability to get the most out of his QBs talents, and RGIII, as you said, has a ton of them.
I am not so sure about that, Cutler has been no worse in Chicago than he was in Denver despite playing with inferior recievers. Jason Campbell was better in his last season in Washington than either of the starters Shanahan has had.

Shanahan used to be very good with QBs, I am not so sure he can take an unfinished product like Griffin and mold him into an NFL QB.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
I hear Shanahan is sniffing around Nate Webster.
And that was enough to knock good old Nate's helmet right off his head.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
And that was enough to knock good old Nate's helmet right off his head.
I can hear him celebrating from here.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
eff1ngham

In terms of stats I'd say RGIII will have a better year. He's got a pretty good TE in Fred Davis who could be on the verge of a breakout season, and his RBs are decent pass catchers as well, plus he's got Santana Moss, Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan (not great, but decent WRs). And he can run. The thing I'd worry about is him getting hurt because of the way he plays, and he's not all that big. Playing against the Cowboys, Eagles and Giants, I could see him getting knocked out of a few games.

Luck is in a more favorable division, and has a team that's being built around him. I think he'll show more growth over the season and will be the better QB overall. But in terms of stats I think RGIII will have him beat this season
Old 06-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

As a rook, I'm going to go with Griffin because the Skins are less of a team in shambles than the Colts, and he fits Shanny's system perfectly.

Luck might pass for more yards and have a better TD/INT ratio, but I see Griffin getting 500 rushing yards.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
ClamChowdah

Luck will, just look at the divisions and the schedules, something most people are overlooking.

Plus the expectations for Luck are much lower this season people are expecting no success and full rebuild.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #18
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

This message is hidden because ClamChowdah is on your ignore list.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #19
Shananahan

Quote:
I am not so sure about that, Cutler has been no worse in Chicago than he was in Denver despite playing with inferior recievers. Jason Campbell was better in his last season in Washington than either of the starters Shanahan has had.
I don't really buy either of those arguments. Cutler hasn't really been any better in Chicago than he was in Denver, his numbers have plateaued and it's hard to say he's performing up to his physical talent (I think he's better than his numbers, but he's in his prime and hasn't progressed much, if any, since Denver). I'm also not exactly sure what Campbell's performance in Washington before he left has to do at all with the garbage Shanahan was left to work with.

Quote:
Shanahan used to be very good with QBs, I am not so sure he can take an unfinished product like Griffin and mold him into an NFL QB.
Again, I don't really think you're supporting these statements with anything. He's had trash to work with, and even with that trash had Grossman and Beck sporadically putting up some very good numbers despite their talent. Until I see the guy fail to put together a solid offense with a talented QB I see no reason to doubt the guy.

That's not to say I buy all this talk of RGIII fitting into Shanahan's system 'perfectly' just because he's mobile nonsense, because I don't. I just think Shanahan has proven over and over that his 'system' is not something set into stone, but rather something he knows how to adapt to the strengths of the player.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I don't like Griffin's chances, he didn't have a playbook at Baylor, just a few plays they repeated, mostly it was sandlot football to take advantage of his natural athleticism and powerful arm. We know that Shanahan has a huge playbook and likes to mix it up every week, I don't think Shanahan and Griffin are a good match. Counting against Griffin is that he is in a very strong division - there is a very real chance that all 3 divisional opponents could go above .500 this year.

Luck comes into a situation where it is all about him, nobody cares if the team sucks and people will be happy just to see him alive. He also plays in one of the weakest divisions in football with two teams in Jacksonville and Tennessee who could struggle to be competitive given their QB situations.

There is no doubt to me that Griffin is the better natural talent, he has power, size, athleticism and a very nice throwing motion, but I don't think he is ready for an NFL offense. Luck is mentally ready from day 1, he has one of his favourite targets from college at starting TE and you know the offense is going to be tailored around him.
If Washington has a good running game, that bootleg is gonna be nasty!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
DryHeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamChowdah View Post
Luck will, just look at the divisions and the schedules, something most people are overlooking.

Plus the expectations for Luck are much lower this season people are expecting no success and full rebuild.
Hello, friend.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #22
Shananahan

Taco really needs to out the guys behind these gimmicks.

They're terrible.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #23
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Shanny will get the running game going and in so doing limit the number of reads RG3 needs to make - will be interesting to watch thats for sure.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #24
briann1

I will vote for Robert Griffin III and I don't know why I'm doing that!!

Montecrito No 2

Last edited by briann1; 07-21-2012 at 03:01 PM..
Old 06-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #25
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
I just can't find a way to blame RG3 for the hype that surrounds him. He's a good, upstanding dude who is extremely athletic and has a ridiculously strong arm. That's going to lend itself to some hype, especially in QB-starved DC.

A black, talented QB in the Chocolate City? Yeah, there's gonna be some hype.