The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
azfanz
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Setting the record straight: Manning's neck injury

I tend to agree with this article...if the "injury" had been the result of one play, or a series of plays, I'd be far more concerned. I'm doubting Manning would be back had there not been sound medical advice that he can withstand the rigors of a season of football and all the contact that comes with it. Good read:

http://broncosreport.com/2012/06/01/...s-neck-injury/
azfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

similar neck injury to John Lynch. same surgeon cleared both players. Lynch came back and was a pro bowler, i have no doubt Manning will do the same.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I keep trying to explain to people every QB that plays against us has a much better chance of injury than the one that plays for us...
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I keep trying to explain to people every QB that plays against us has a much better chance of injury than the one that plays for us...
Really? Do you keep trying to explain that because no one else buys that logic?

On the face of it, that argument doesn't make sense, as anyone with a history of neck injury is more at risk than someone without that history.

You might argue that Manning's risk is "no higher than any other quarterback's risk", if you believe that Peyton will have superior protection, but I don't see the evidence to make that claim, either.

Neck-wise, Manning will most likely be okay. That's no guarantee, though.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
Punisher
® The Horsemen Are coming

For You WOOOOOOOOOO!®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
similar neck injury to John Lynch. same surgeon cleared both players. Lynch came back and was a pro bowler, i have no doubt Manning will do the same.
http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=80076
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Not an exact player to player comparison. Lynch was a head knocking safety that hit guys every single play. Manning is a QB that reads defenses so quick he typically gets the ball out before being touched. Lynch came back successfully in a physical role with a similar injury. Manning will be fine
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

That article makes me feel a lot better about the Manning situation! I never fully researched exactly what his injury was. I knew he had fused vertebrae, but I didn't know exactly why, and what the resulting risks would be (bad on me, should've read up on it as soon as we signed him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Manning underwent several procedures to alleviate the pressure on the damaged nerve, which was causing weakness in his throwing arm. When those failed to fix the problem, Manning’s surgeon, Dr. Robert Watkins, suggested a new course of action. The troublesome soft disk tissue between two vertebrae, which was pinching the nerve, would be removed. As a result, the vertebrae would be fused together. Nerves, it turns out, are quite delicate and take far longer to heal than some of those other injuries like broken bones or torn ligaments. After the fusion healed (usually 4-6 months), Manning still had to wait for the nerve to regenerate. That process, it turned out, took the entire 2011 NFL season. Dr. Watkins announced on February 2, 2011 that he had cleared Manning to play football again.
It's nice to see that it was really just a nerve issue, which has now regenerated, and nothing to do with the neck/spine itself. So hopefully with the neck and arm strength a non-issue, the only thing getting in Peyton's way the rest of his career will be his age, just like any other veteran QB!
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

nerves are really and incredible part of the body. I shattered my elbow skiing a few years back and the one of the breaks was close to a nerve in my elbow. The doctor said surgury was the last option as he didn't want to take a chance of messing with the nerve if he didn't have to and hence, we let the break heal naturally. My hand works fine but it still feels a little funny and it shakes a tad too, I assume this is because of the nerve affecting everthing below it. This is why I also guess that Manning's recovery is much about the nerve regeneration, that is, how does his arm and hand function after the healing process is complete? Does the ball feel the same? Does he have the same range of motions? Is there any tingling in his hand, etc.?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 'Dre View Post

On the face of it, that argument doesn't make sense, as anyone with a history of neck injury is more at risk than someone without that history.

You might argue that Manning's risk is "no higher than any other quarterback's risk", if you believe that Peyton will have superior protection, but I don't see the evidence to make that claim, either.

How many QB's did we knock out for the next game last season?

Cassell and several others.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

You didn't read the article. First of all the Injury isn't a "neck injury" second of all, almost everyone in the NFL has had an injury at some point, probably in far worse places than Manning. Third, Manning doesn't face the best tandem of pass rushers in the league, QB's playing against Manning, however, have to face them 16 times.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
How many QB's did we knock out for the next game last season?

Cassell and several others.
Peyton got knocked out for an entire season, no?
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

We'll see. Manning will either be fine or he wont be.

Time will tell.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Dude that's just stupid sounding .
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
Dude that's just stupid sounding .
Lol whoops I just reread it and meant to type "Plays us" not "for us" lol. Damn swype!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Lol whoops I just reread it and meant to type "Plays us" not "for us" lol. Damn swype!
heheh I almost thought autofill F'ed you over bro...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
Stuck in Cali

Manning is fine, and no more frail than any other person in the league, other than his age. I have never doubted his heath.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDmvp View Post
heheh I almost thought autofill F'ed you over bro...
Not the worst swype mistake by far though lol.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
In other words, he has as much of a chance of injury as any other 36 year old QB who has a history of getting rid of the ball 90+% of the time before he gets hit.

It's a small, possibly non-existent, sample size.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
In other words, he has as much of a chance of injury as any other 36 year old QB who has a history of getting rid of the ball 90+% of the time before he gets hit.

It's a small, possibly non-existent, sample size.
I meant to type "any qb that plays us" e.g. Ben in week 1. "For" was an accidental swype typo.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I meant to type "any qb that plays us" e.g. Ben in week 1. "For" was an accidental swype typo.
swypo is the correct nomenclature...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:

I agree that there are no guarantees he won't get injured...but when he's given decent, adequate protection, his pre-snap reads and quick, accurate delivery of the pass to the open man will decrease the chances of him being sacked, which will decrease the chances of him being injured....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #22
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Peyton got knocked out for an entire season, no?
Well, technically, he didn't get "knocked out"...that would imply he missed games immediately following the injury......he didn't. He did however miss the entire 2011 season due to his rehabilitation and recovery from the surgeries....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

You just know though that everytime he gets hit this year BroncoNation will need to stock up on Pampers.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
nerves are really and incredible part of the body. I shattered my elbow skiing a few years back and the one of the breaks was close to a nerve in my elbow. The doctor said surgury was the last option as he didn't want to take a chance of messing with the nerve if he didn't have to and hence, we let the break heal naturally. My hand works fine but it still feels a little funny and it shakes a tad too, I assume this is because of the nerve affecting everthing below it. This is why I also guess that Manning's recovery is much about the nerve regeneration, that is, how does his arm and hand function after the healing process is complete? Does the ball feel the same? Does he have the same range of motions? Is there any tingling in his hand, etc.?
I want to know the same thing also.

Is he having tingling, does he need pain and nerve meds. It sounds like the muscle atrophy is getting better and he hasn't had set backs throwing.

I can't throw a nerf ball to my 4 year old with either arm without paying for it the next couple days. If Manning is not having that kind of set back then I think he will be Ok.

I also think if he makes it through week 6 without any setbacks he will be fine for the rest of his career.

I don't know how Dr's make the difference between chronic nerve damage and acute, all I know is that mine is chronic and I am doing everything I can to resolve it or make it better and it is just not responding.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #25
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If their were any real doubts about mannings neck denver would've pulled out of the hunt for peyton.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote