The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Low on energy? Personal health story...

Hey guys,
We occasionally discuss personal health topics around here, and I recently tried something that I thought I would share. I have no vested interest here, and i'm not selling anything, just wanted to tell you about something I tried that has made a huge difference for me.

Anyway, I am 42 and have been an avid excerciser for decades. Regular at the gym, judo instructor and competitor for a decade, football coach, Scoutmaster, you name it - i'm very active. Over the past few months I have been feeling extremely low on energy, and slow to recuperate from workouts and injuries. I felt like dog **** and I was really upset about it. I kept working out, but seemed to lose the excitement, motivation, and was just feeling old. Obviously, i'm not ready to slow down so I started scouring the net for info on "loss of endorphins" which is really what I felt. A general malaise, where nothing seemed to be exciting, and I felt constantly run down.

So, I decided I would only look at simple, natural things that might help, and I would only try a "one thing at a time" approach. Well, I think I just got lucky and read the right literature because I have been buzzing for the past several days and I just had to share. Once again, this isn't an infomercial.

The article I read linked low endorphin levels to a lack of some basic amino acids (two forms of Phenylalanine D and L). So, I went down to my local health food store and bought a $17 dollar bottle of DLPA which is a 50 / 50 mix of these two amino acids. Within about three hours, I was buzzing with energy. I took one that morning, one that evening (I have been taking two a day). I plan to taper down to one a day after a week and see how it goes, but I have already worked out five times this week (including extra cardio at a boxing gym), and I haven't felt this way in a decade.

I don't know how this will feel in the next weeks or months, but this will be a part of my health regimen for the rest of the summer. I feel incredible. Anyway, I thought I would open this up for others to discuss any pros and cons of a basic amino supplement, but it seems like the cheapest, most natural "fountain of youth" I could have imagined. I don't want to hype it too much, because it might not work for everyone, but if you have been feeling low on energy, have a general malaise, and lacking in endorphins I highly encourage you to take a trip to your local health food store and try one $17.00 bottle of DLPA.

Hope this helps someone else like it helped me.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

The real question is: how does it affect the sex life?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Spammer.

Thanks, I may try it. I'm 60 and have been feeling the need for an energy boost. Totally unmotivated to work out at the gym and have to force myself to go. Think I'll give this a try.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Two words: Bath Salts.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Two words: Ball Salts.
fixed it for ya.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thanks for the info. Once us men get into their 40's, we tend to lose testosterone, which can lead to those run down feelings and no energy. Also the common time when we can become type 2 diabetic, which can also involve the lack of energy type feelings too as well as other problems. So any info. like this is appreciated and keep up the exercise since that helps of course.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Hey guys,
We occasionally discuss personal health topics around here, and I recently tried something that I thought I would share. I have no vested interest here, and i'm not selling anything, just wanted to tell you about something I tried that has made a huge difference for me.

Anyway, I am 42 and have been an avid excerciser for decades. Regular at the gym, judo instructor and competitor for a decade, football coach, Scoutmaster, you name it - i'm very active. Over the past few months I have been feeling extremely low on energy, and slow to recuperate from workouts and injuries. I felt like dog **** and I was really upset about it. I kept working out, but seemed to lose the excitement, motivation, and was just feeling old. Obviously, i'm not ready to slow down so I started scouring the net for info on "loss of endorphins" which is really what I felt. A general malaise, where nothing seemed to be exciting, and I felt constantly run down.

So, I decided I would only look at simple, natural things that might help, and I would only try a "one thing at a time" approach. Well, I think I just got lucky and read the right literature because I have been buzzing for the past several days and I just had to share. Once again, this isn't an infomercial.

The article I read linked low endorphin levels to a lack of some basic amino acids (two forms of Phenylalanine D and L). So, I went down to my local health food store and bought a $17 dollar bottle of DLPA which is a 50 / 50 mix of these two amino acids. Within about three hours, I was buzzing with energy. I took one that morning, one that evening (I have been taking two a day). I plan to taper down to one a day after a week and see how it goes, but I have already worked out five times this week (including extra cardio at a boxing gym), and I haven't felt this way in a decade.

I don't know how this will feel in the next weeks or months, but this will be a part of my health regimen for the rest of the summer. I feel incredible. Anyway, I thought I would open this up for others to discuss any pros and cons of a basic amino supplement, but it seems like the cheapest, most natural "fountain of youth" I could have imagined. I don't want to hype it too much, because it might not work for everyone, but if you have been feeling low on energy, have a general malaise, and lacking in endorphins I highly encourage you to take a trip to your local health food store and try one $17.00 bottle of DLPA.

Hope this helps someone else like it helped me.

Have you had trouble pooping? I'd check the basement.....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
fixed it for ya.
take it another step

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:

please elaborate.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

So much awesome in one thread.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
please elaborate.
It's like the crack version of meth....
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
please elaborate.
Search the news for zombies

Last edited by lolcopter; 05-31-2012 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: or bath salts ldo
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I remember taking Phenylalanine L in college to help stimulate brain function and focus. Might have been a placebo effect, but myself & a couple of friends swore by the stuff.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

RE OP;

There are precious few magic bullets out there when it comes to recovering optimum health. Hopefully you found one that works for you.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Well I'm going to assume this thread is for real. I'm 35, workout a lot and I have a very good diet. My problem is that I don't recover as fast. Mostly my legs. I do a lot of running, and I like to do more sprinting than distance running. Over the past year my legs feel beat up after a sprint workout. I've been doing distance for the past 6 weeks and even with that my legs still feel sore a day later. I'm going to do distance for about another month or so and then go back to sprinting.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I only run when chased. Saves my legs a lot of wear and tear.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I only run when chased. Saves my legs a lot of wear and tear.
There you go: "We don't have to run faster than the zombie, we just have to run faster than Beantown"
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
Have you had trouble pooping? I'd check the basement.....
Are you being serious? I eat plenty of small meals throughout the day, so poop is no problem. Plenty of good food and fiber. I'm like clockwork, my wife is jealous.

Are you offering additional advice, or just wanted to know about bowel habits?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
Well I'm going to assume this thread is for real. I'm 35, workout a lot and I have a very good diet. My problem is that I don't recover as fast. Mostly my legs. I do a lot of running, and I like to do more sprinting than distance running. Over the past year my legs feel beat up after a sprint workout. I've been doing distance for the past 6 weeks and even with that my legs still feel sore a day later. I'm going to do distance for about another month or so and then go back to sprinting.
Jason,
I couldn't be more serious. I wouldn't have stuck my neck out and written this thread if I wasn't feeling such an immediate and significant turnaround. Once again, i'm not a doctor, but I did research this for about a week before I ever decided to try it. I figured a simple, natural, inexpensive approach was worth trying. It has just been this week for me, but the effects have been significant, and I find myself "strongly desiring" to workout mornings and evenings again. It feels great, and I hope you will let me know if you try it.

Last edited by cmhargrove; 05-31-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #20
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Are you being serious? I eat plenty of small meals throughout the day, so poop is no problem. Plenty of good food and fiber. I'm like clockwork, my wife is jealous.

Are you offering additional advice, or just wanted to know about bowel habits?
check the ambient thread.....
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #21
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
have your tried running in compression shorts? I've worn them the last few years for lacrosse games and I bounce back a lot quicker. My calves stopped hurting as much when I switched to Nike Free's....
Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #22
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Regular at the gym, judo instructor and competitor for a decade, football coach, Scoutmaster, you name it - i'm very active. Over the past few months I have been feeling extremely low on energy
Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

You should probably up your Mountain Dew and Lays intake. Maybe start a stricter Xbox 360 regimen. Tell your wife often that she makes a better door than a window.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #23
Meck77

Quote:
You might consider Bikram Yoga. 26 postures, 1.5 hrs, in a heated room. If you want to challenge not only your body but your mind this is an amazing way to do it. I've seen all sorts of athletes come into the rooms only to be humbled very quickly. The series itself is standard. Studios and teachers very greatly but that is the beauty of it. Wherever you travel you can pretty much find a studio. I rocked the 9:15 class in Kapaa Kauai the other day. Jason you would have loved it dude. Some of the most beautiful women I'd ever seen were in there. I'm not talking about gals that look good in a dress. I'm talking beautiful women that would blow you away with their strength, flexibility, balance, smiles and positive energy.

Check in out Jason. I think it's right up your alley. I was skeptical myself but 2 years later I have the energy I did 15 years ago and just happened to meet my wife via the practice.

Right woman > Any energy pill you can take.

Last edited by Meck77; 05-31-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Super coke...
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote