The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Concussions are Gay

At age 30, Randall Gay lives with concussion symptoms in retirement

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 29, 2012, 7:15 AM EDT

Former Patriots and Saints defensive back Randall Gay turned 30 this month, and although there was once a time when he figured heíd still be playing in the NFL at this age, he says the symptoms of concussions make a return to the game impossible.

Gay went on injured reserve with his last concussion in 2010 and didnít play at all in 2011, and he told the Boston Herald thereís no way heíd be able to play now.

ďI canít play anymore. I wish I could, but Iím still having symptoms from concussions,Ē Gay said. ďI wanted to try again, but I canít really do anything. Hard, physical activities, I get headaches and nauseous and dizzy and stuff. Iíd still like a chance in the NFL, but itís not worth it.Ē

Gay, who played for the Patriots from 2004 to 2007 and the Saints from 2008 to 2009, said he doesnít know how many concussions he has suffered and didnít know much about concussions during his playing days.

ďItís scary because you donít know enough about it,Ē Gay said. ďWhen you play football, itís the effect of everybody just wants to deal with it. All right, my ankle hurts? I can deal with it. My arm hurts? But I can deal with it. Itís not hurting enough where I canít play. Then youíve got the headaches, the concussion thing. Iíve got a headache, but I can deal with it. Thatís the mindset that you go through your whole life with. But then it gets to the point where you donít know enough about head injuries to just say I can deal with it.

Read more here http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...in-retirement/
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

I'm gay for concussions
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Punisher
ģ Styling And Profiling!

Running Wild in the AFC WOOOOOO! ģ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Sad story Hopefully he invest the money he made from the NFL in something good enough to provide for him and his family.
Punisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

A plus for the thread title! Blart just rammed his head into a wall when he saw the thread.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The media is really trying to run with this concussion thing. And predictably players are going to come out of the woodwork with vague symptoms like getting "really tired and dizzy" when they "do strenuous activity." I fully expect a class-action lawsuit that they will lose and then we can turn the page on this.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I got concussed skiing at Steamboat way back in the late 80's. Should I lawyer up?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

So in 30 years, no one ever told Mr Gay that head injuries can be serious? You can hit your head on a cardoor frame and give yourself a concussion.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
So in 30 years, no one ever told Mr Gay that head injuries can be serious? You can hit your head on a cardoor frame and give yourself a concussion.

I use car door frames so that my child won't have to.

-Bart Scott
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The media is really trying to run with this concussion thing. And predictably players are going to come out of the woodwork with vague symptoms like getting "really tired and dizzy" when they "do strenuous activity." I fully expect a class-action lawsuit that they will lose and then we can turn the page on this.
I was thinking the same thing..

Just more fuel to the fire.. I can see congress getting involved with this soon just another waste of our tax money.. All the while screwing with the sport just a bit more..

I know that these are bad for folks but it is not like these guys had a gun to their heads to force them to play..

Unfortunately lots of older players who did not see huge contract and had lousy equipment are the real victims..

Lets hope that both the NFL and NFLPA get some funds raised for these guys..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Failure an Option for this team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I feel for these guys but at the same time I am conflicted. I would like to hear more present day players saying it is bad or their concussion stories. Why are players walking away from the game because of this?

I think this is all about money. No one says anything about it while they are winning SB's and getting paid.

I do think the league as well as HS and colleges should take concussions more seriously and get guys out of games rather than keep them in after a concussion and taking more hits.

The thing I have a problem with is a guy who has played a game all his life who should know the risks and rewards complaining about it after winning SB's and getting paid well enough to set him and his family up for success.

Kids join the armed forces, get paid less and face bigger consequences to their heath than these well paid athlete's ever did.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i got several concussions playing sports in school. now i get migraines my doctor says are probably due to the concussions. i wonder if i can sue my high school for damages incurred while playing. seems to be what every NFL player is doing now.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote