The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default Who's the Man for the Master Plan? O-Line

Not a new topic, but I’m trying to grasp the plan for the O-line.

The Phillip Blake pick seemed off the mark. I favored a true RT like Zebrie Sanders, available when Blake was chosen. Franklin’s pivot is painful to watch, he looks like a guard to me - Fox praised his drive blocking, even used the word “mauler” to describe him after the 2011 draft. So why not draft a real RT and move Franklin inside. Seems to me drafting Zebrie would have imporoved TWO positions: Zebrie at RT and Franklin inside ... whereas Blake improves only the position he moves into.

And I thought we were bullish on Walton ... remember his performance against the Titans ... graded out through the roof, heralded as the first of many to come. But now I’m reading all negatives, one site ranked Walton the worst starting O-lineman in the league. Is this why they went C with Blake or what ....?

That great thread in here after the Titans game, on Beadles-Walton, etc ... it’d be nice to get some similar insight with all that’s happened since..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I think they are hoping that constancy with this group will lead to a consistent group. This will be the 3rd straight year that Clady-Beadles-Walton-Kuper will be playing together as a unit, and year two with Franklin thrown into the mix. I think they are sold on Franklin long-term as a RT, and the Blake pick give them depth if Beadles and Walton improve, and a potential replacement if one or both do not. There is something to be said for having the same guys line up next to each other several years in a row. Sometimes the aggregate is better than the individual parts. I think that's the theory, anyway. We shall see how it works out.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Heres what Im HOPING the line will look like this season:

LT: Clady
LG: Franklin
C: Blake
RG: Kuper
RT: Harris (if healthy)

With Beadles and Walton as backups.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
g6matty

franklin is a jeff otah clone for what ever reason fox likes his RT to be a great run blocker. i think ryan harris would be a upgrade in pass protection if hes healthy but it looks to be franklin will be our long term RT. harris is great depth for tackle hopefully he sticks around for insurance
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Heres what Im HOPING the line will look like this season:

LT: Clady
LG: Franklin
C: Blake
RG: Kuper
RT: Harris (if healthy)

With Beadles and Walton as backups.
i would be happy with that. i would love Franklin in tandem with Clady, would make the left side of the line nasty. also would love it if Harris was completely healthy. guy is one of the best RT in the game if healthy.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Looks like Blake will indeed be battling Walton for the starting Center position in Training camp. I think Blake will win.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ladys-contract
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Blake is a not only a competent Center, he can play all three OL positions and did at Baylor. It is hard to see a Rookie starter on the OL with Manning, but Blake is the perfect Swing OL as teams usually only dress 7 OL on game day, 8 at the very most.

Blake is going to be great fit in this offense, but will he mentally be good enough with a complex audible system and be able to control the Line calls right off the bat like Saturday did in INDY? I doubt it. But I hope he proves me wrong
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
The Phillip Blake pick seemed off the mark.
Walton, much like Beadles, has been very inconsistent for this team. Franklin is the kind of RT that John Fox likes to see, and he's got the skills to develop just fine in pass pro.

Blake was chosen because he is physically and mentally already a mature adult who can play any of the three interior positions. We had an immediate need for a swing guard and backup center, he fills both holes. He also is immediate long term competition for both Beadles and Walton.

By picking Blake they now have a three man battle for two spots, the winners of which can potentially be our long term starters and the loser can be a long term valuable depth addition.

They've brought Ryan Harris back, I'd assume he'll be the swing tackle for 2012. Not a bad seven man group at all.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Blake is a not only a competent Center, he can play all three OL positions and did at Baylor. It is hard to see a Rookie starter on the OL with Manning, but Blake is the perfect Swing OL as teams usually only dress 7 OL on game day, 8 at the very most.

Blake is going to be great fit in this offense, but will he mentally be good enough with a complex audible system and be able to control the Line calls right off the bat like Saturday did in INDY? I doubt it. But I hope he proves me wrong
Blake got a 35 on the wonderlic boss. Walton hasn't been calling blocking schemes either, Kuper has.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Drunken.Broncoholic

Man I think we all wished Harris would return to 2008 form. Unfortunately the road he's taken has put a lot of kinks in his armor. It would be great if he overcomes all the injury shadows.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
franklin is a jeff otah clone for what ever reason fox likes his RT to be a great run blocker. i think ryan harris would be a upgrade in pass protection if hes healthy but it looks to be franklin will be our long term RT. harris is great depth for tackle hopefully he sticks around for insurance
YCoaches usually put that best run blocker on the team at RT.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
DENVERDUI55

I wish that the move Franklin inside talk would end. It's not going to happen and he has never lined up anywhere but RT.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I believe he might have played a little guard in college... but I've never really seen him a a better guard, and he is more valuable at RT.

He has the wingspan of a really good RT.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I like Franklin at RT. I thought he did a very good job last year...and by the time they were playing down the stretch, looked great.

Remember people...he was a ROOKIE....who had no offseason preparation!

I wish you folks would buy a clue!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I wish that the move Franklin inside talk would end. It's not going to happen and he has never lined up anywhere but RT.
That's his natural position, and his pass blocking/footwork need serious development.

He is best suited to be a guard.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
That's his natural position, and his pass blocking/footwork need serious development.

He is best suited to be a guard.
Its 2 steps. We are not asking him to learn swan lake. Let him not preform before we move him inside. Tebow had a cadence that every person in the stadium knew. Manning will make them all better.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Yeah I think Franklin did pretty well as a RT. He is pretty much a Jeff Otah clone. I think the line-up with be the same except maybe Walton for Blake. I think Harris will be the swing tackle and either Walton or Blake will be the swing interior linemen.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would rather Franklin be at LG myself, but it seems the Broncos are happy with him at RT.
A quick pass attack would help him. Blake being an older than usual rookie could help his case win a starting spot.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
That's not entirely accurate ... he played both at the U, and was drafted as a tweener leaning to OT. As I mentioned Fox described him in G terms post-draft:

We've seen several guys around the league make that move successfully ... Leonard Davis, Colon I think.

Images I recall were early last season, repeatedly seeing Franklin turn on rusty-gate swivel hips and backstep into pass protect in quicksand boots. But that was early in the season, come to think of it, much was from the MNF opener vs. Raiders. It's good to hear positive words in here about his RTOF long-term prognosis ...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
That's not entirely accurate ... he played both at the U, and was drafted as a tweener leaning to OT. As I mentioned Fox described him in G terms post-draft:

We've seen several guys around the league make that move successfully ... Leonard Davis, Colon I think.

Images I recall were early last season, repeatedly seeing Franklin turn on rusty-gate swivel hips and backstep into pass protect in quicksand boots. But that was early in the season, come to think of it, much was from the MNF opener vs. Raiders. It's good to hear positive words in here about his RTOF long-term prognosis ...
I'm talking with the Broncos. They haven't given him any reps at G.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #21
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Damn...I can't imagine switching back and forth btwn RT and G...that is one long season.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #22
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
I'm talking with the Broncos. They haven't given him any reps at G.
You're right of course, topic's stale anyway - my bad.

Ryan Harris is probably the more intriguing story ... his presence probably explains some of this. During camp last summer, Eagles had him slated to start ahead of even a healthy Winston Justice ... Vick's blind side. He had signed for just one year with Philly, left town on his own.

He's just 27 and loaded with talent ... the back healed fine before, why not again?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 PM   #23
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
Fox will look to run in any advantages situations. Its who he is as a defensive coach.

With that in mind, Franklin is a Otah clone. He doent move lateraly that well, just like Otah, but hes a force in short areas. You know Fox wants that card in his deck.

Harris has no push in the run game. That not a Fox type online imo.

People need to ease up on Franklin and realize the major potential that hes shown in his rookie season. He was beat by very good speed rushers for the most part. What RT, especially a rookie RT, doesnt get manhandled in that situation.

Franklin is extremely young (1st OTAs), has a massive body, long arms, has some level of competence and can get to the second level. Theres no need to say more.

Last edited by NorCalBronco7; 05-24-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Old 05-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #24
Bronco Yoda

Franklin is a guard in my eyes.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #25
NorCalBronco7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Franklin is a guard in my eyes.
Why?