The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #351
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Once the franchise tag is signed, it is 100% guaranteed.
I didnt know this. How does that work? It's guaranteed only if he plays? He can't hold out during regular season if he does he doesn't get the money I thought. That's not guaranteed. if he's injured and can't play different story I believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #352
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I didnt know this. How does that work? It's guaranteed only if he plays? He can't hold out during regular season if he does he doesn't get the money I thought. That's not guaranteed. if he's injured and can't play different story I believe.
5. Franchise tender is guaranteed, with one exception.

Once a player signs the franchise tag, the one-year salary becomes fully guaranteed. But there’s a little-known exception.

Under Article 10, Section 2(c) of the CBA, the contract can be terminated if the player fails “to establish or maintain his excellent physical condition.”

Any effort to do so would result in a review of the situation by a neutral physician and, eventually and inevitably, arbitration. Still, the franchise tender technically isn’t fully and completely guaranteed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...franchise-tag/
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #353
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,125
Default

ALSO....

4. Franchise tags can be withdrawn.

The amount of the franchise tender becomes fully guaranteed once the player signs it. Since signing the franchise tender puts the player under contract, requiring him to show up to all mandatory offseason activities and training camp, some players choose to wait deep into the preseason before inking the offer.
The risk is that the franchise tag can be withdrawn, at any time, before it has been signed.

It doesn’t happen often, but it’s not unprecedented. Especially in Philly. In 2002, the Eagles pulled the franchise tag from linebacker Jeremiah Trotter in early April. Three years later, the Eagles removed the franchise tag from defensive tackle Corey Simon in late August.

The move immediately converts the player to an unrestricted free agent. But if it comes after the big money has been spent, the player will have a hard time getting the pay day he would have realized on the first day of free agency.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #354
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
ALSO....

4. Franchise tags can be withdrawn.

The amount of the franchise tender becomes fully guaranteed once the player signs it. Since signing the franchise tender puts the player under contract, requiring him to show up to all mandatory offseason activities and training camp, some players choose to wait deep into the preseason before inking the offer.
The risk is that the franchise tag can be withdrawn, at any time, before it has been signed.

It doesn’t happen often, but it’s not unprecedented. Especially in Philly. In 2002, the Eagles pulled the franchise tag from linebacker Jeremiah Trotter in early April. Three years later, the Eagles removed the franchise tag from defensive tackle Corey Simon in late August.

The move immediately converts the player to an unrestricted free agent. But if it comes after the big money has been spent, the player will have a hard time getting the pay day he would have realized on the first day of free agency.
Luckily, there's no reason for Denver to pull the tag off of Clady. Though I'm sure they are preparing just in case for "Life w/out Clady", there's no real viable threat to take his slot on the current roster.

Not to mention, teams still in need of a LT (Say, Miami), still have plenty of cap space to make the move should someone like Ryan become available.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #355
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,165

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
Luckily, there's no reason for Denver to pull the tag off of Clady. Though I'm sure they are preparing just in case for "Life w/out Clady", there's no real viable threat to take his slot on the current roster.

Not to mention, teams still in need of a LT (Say, Miami), still have plenty of cap space to make the move should someone like Ryan become available.
Pulling the tag from Clady would be like looking down in the morning and saying, I have two feet, I will shoot myself in that one.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #356
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Pulling the tag from Clady would be like looking down in the morning and saying, I have two feet, I will shoot myself in that one.

Eggs Ackley.

And, I'm sure it wouldn't be good for Peyton's rehabilitation were he to strain his neck turning it to glare at Elway.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #357
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,125
Default

yeah whatever. I bolded the part that I thought was relevent. Clady may wait until camp is over to except the Tag
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #358
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,472

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
yeah whatever. I bolded the part that I thought was relevent. Clady may wait until camp is over to except the Tag
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #359
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
sign, stamp, accept, whatever..
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #360
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

He used 2 three-syllable words in his two sentence post. Though there was missed punctuation and a few instances of incorrect capitalization, I'll allow it.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #361
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
If a guy is demanding to be the top paid at his position, the 2nd highest paying position in the entire NFL BTW, it is literally impossible to make it cap friendly.

Tagging him would be more cap friendly than signing him long-term, given the current numbers he and his agent are demanding. It's a rare case where the tag is the cheaper option for a guy at that particular position, but it's true.
From what I just read it sounds like him andhis agent are talking between 10 and 11 million. That is reasonable. I believe it really is going to come down to the signing bonus.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #362
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer
 
LetsGoBroncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
From what I just read it sounds like him andhis agent are talking between 10 and 11 million. That is reasonable. I believe it really is going to come down to the signing bonus.
Not what the Denver Post said. They said the Broncos offered more than $10 million per year with $33 million guaranteed and he turned it down. Is looking for $13 million a year
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #363
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
You are not looking at the signing bonuses. The Broncos are refusing to give him the signing bonus other players of his caliber got. We all know those numbers you posted don't mean **** because the Broncos could cut him at anytime.
The signing bonus is worked in to my figures. The problem is that Clady wants $42M guaranteed, which is a lot for the Broncos to stomach in the event of injury. What I was illustrating is that Clady probably lost a few million by not signing last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Once the franchise tag is signed, it is 100% guaranteed.
Well yeah, but next year isn't guaranteed. All players have a guaranteed salary every year they make a final roster.

Last edited by pricejj; 07-10-2013 at 05:52 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #364
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Not what the Denver Post said. They said the Broncos offered more than $10 million per year with $33 million guaranteed and he turned it down. Is looking for $13 million a year
That was a lie. It was not $33 million.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #365
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That was a lie. It was not $33 million.
Vic Lombardi said 3 years $33M, and that Clady wanted $42M guaranteed.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #366
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Vic Lombardi said 3 years $33M, and that Clady wanted $42M guaranteed.
And that was proven wrong in the Denver Post. I do not remember what they said whether the Broncos were offering $12 or $18 million.

Plus the Broncos were not going to give Clady the bonus all at once. So if they cut him after the 2014 or 2015 season he would not get the rest of his signing bonus.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #367
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Kiszla: Broncos need to give Ryan Clady security for protection he provides

So, the first order of business for a team with Super Bowl aspirations is getting a long-term contract done with Ryan Clady, the left tackle who did the Broncos proud with first-team all-pro honors in 2012. Give the man his money.

Clady is far more essential to the success of the Broncos during the upcoming season than the presence of either Russell or Heckert, who figure to be suspended at a critical time on the NFL calendar, when determinations on which players make the roster are made and holes in the depth chart are filled.

On the road to the Super Bowl, the Broncos aren't going anywhere without Clady.

Yes, the team slapped the franchise tag on the 26-year-old left tackle, a move that could basically strong-arm Clady into playing the upcoming season on a one-year deal for the handsome sum of $9.823 million.


Clady is seeking the greater financial reward and security a long-term deal can bring. Can anyone blame him, considering Clady suffered a shoulder injury that required surgery after the Broncos' season came to an upsetting end last season with a home loss in the playoffs to Baltimore?

The Broncos and Clady have been negotiating his worth to the team for
more than a year without resolution. Last summer, the Broncos offered Clady a five-year, $50 million contract. Clady said no, then went out and played spectacularly to prove his worth.

Elway is protecting the bottom line of franchise owner Pat Bowlen, which is understandable. Clady, however, protects the health of the 37-year-old Manning, which is a far more essential job. If the Broncos truly believe Clady is the best in the business, we should be talking close to $12 million per season, with approximately 40 percent of the money guaranteed on a contract of five years or longer.

The deal needs to be cut by July 15, or Denver faces the prospect of Clady being an unhappy camper when preseason workouts begin. Money issues can cause trouble that lingers.

Elway deserves credit for being a fair-minded but tough negotiator while building a roster of championship caliber, whether the end result was the success of signing Manning to a deal that limited the Broncos' liability in case of a serious injury to the veteran quarterback, or the outcome of contract haggling was the loss of defensive star Elvis Dumervil when the pass rusher balked at a significant pay cut.

In order of importance to the Broncos' success, this is the ranking of most essential players: 1) Manning; 2) linebacker Von Miller; and 3) Clady.
Give the man his money.

Clady is one of only four offensive tackles in NFL history who have started every game and earned three invitations to the Pro Bowl during their first five seasons in the league.

In the wake of the embarrassment caused by DUI arrests for Heckert and Russell, the Broncos could use a reason to smile.

Giving Clady, not to mention Manning and the rest of the Denver offense, a
reason to smile might be a good place to start.

Complete article: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...-protection-he
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #368
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,444

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

As much as i want the team to save money, i believe Clady needs to get paid. This guy protects the blindside of our elite, but surgically repaired 96 million dollar super bowl investment, and more than likely will also protect the blindside of our QBOTF. pay the man and let's move on.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #369
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Kiszla: Broncos need to give Ryan Clady security for protection he provides

So, the first order of business for a team with Super Bowl aspirations is getting a long-term contract done with Ryan Clady, the left tackle who did the Broncos proud with first-team all-pro honors in 2012. Give the man his money.

Clady is far more essential to the success of the Broncos during the upcoming season than the presence of either Russell or Heckert, who figure to be suspended at a critical time on the NFL calendar, when determinations on which players make the roster are made and holes in the depth chart are filled.

On the road to the Super Bowl, the Broncos aren't going anywhere without Clady.

Yes, the team slapped the franchise tag on the 26-year-old left tackle, a move that could basically strong-arm Clady into playing the upcoming season on a one-year deal for the handsome sum of $9.823 million.


Clady is seeking the greater financial reward and security a long-term deal can bring. Can anyone blame him, considering Clady suffered a shoulder injury that required surgery after the Broncos' season came to an upsetting end last season with a home loss in the playoffs to Baltimore?

The Broncos and Clady have been negotiating his worth to the team for
more than a year without resolution. Last summer, the Broncos offered Clady a five-year, $50 million contract. Clady said no, then went out and played spectacularly to prove his worth.

Elway is protecting the bottom line of franchise owner Pat Bowlen, which is understandable. Clady, however, protects the health of the 37-year-old Manning, which is a far more essential job. If the Broncos truly believe Clady is the best in the business, we should be talking close to $12 million per season, with approximately 40 percent of the money guaranteed on a contract of five years or longer.

The deal needs to be cut by July 15, or Denver faces the prospect of Clady being an unhappy camper when preseason workouts begin. Money issues can cause trouble that lingers.

Elway deserves credit for being a fair-minded but tough negotiator while building a roster of championship caliber, whether the end result was the success of signing Manning to a deal that limited the Broncos' liability in case of a serious injury to the veteran quarterback, or the outcome of contract haggling was the loss of defensive star Elvis Dumervil when the pass rusher balked at a significant pay cut.

In order of importance to the Broncos' success, this is the ranking of most essential players: 1) Manning; 2) linebacker Von Miller; and 3) Clady.
Give the man his money.

Clady is one of only four offensive tackles in NFL history who have started every game and earned three invitations to the Pro Bowl during their first five seasons in the league.

In the wake of the embarrassment caused by DUI arrests for Heckert and Russell, the Broncos could use a reason to smile.

Giving Clady, not to mention Manning and the rest of the Denver offense, a
reason to smile might be a good place to start.

Complete article: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...-protection-he
I really don't understand this logic. The Broncos offered a long term deal last year which Clady said no to. Clady was banking on himself having a good year and he did have a good year. But part of that gamble is a possible injury without a long term deal, right? You can't have it both ways Kiszla.

Now this latest injury is another reason NOT to pay Clady $12m a year. Sorry, but that's the unfortunate effect of injuries. They don't help the player in negotiating a new deal, they hurt the player.

Kiszla needs to understand this. Elway will get a deal done, he was a player and he understands the NFL. What he won't do is pay more than the team has to pay. With today's salary cap, Elway has to look at big picture and if Clady goes down with another injury and it effects his ability to play, and the Broncos have to continue paying him a lot of money, it hamstrings the team.

I'm all for giving Clady his money as he's been a solid LT and teammate. But I like that the Broncos are "negotiating" instead of just throwing money around.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #370
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,140

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I really don't understand this logic. The Broncos offered a long term deal last year which Clady said no to. Clady was banking on himself having a good year and he did have a good year. But part of that gamble is a possible injury without a long term deal, right? You can't have it both ways Kiszla.

Now this latest injury is another reason NOT to pay Clady $12m a year. Sorry, but that's the unfortunate effect of injuries. They don't help the player in negotiating a new deal, they hurt the player.

Kiszla needs to understand this. Elway will get a deal done, he was a player and he understands the NFL. What he won't do is pay more than the team has to pay. With today's salary cap, Elway has to look at big picture and if Clady goes down with another injury and it effects his ability to play, and the Broncos have to continue paying him a lot of money, it hamstrings the team.

I'm all for giving Clady his money as he's been a solid LT and teammate. But I like that the Broncos are "negotiating" instead of just throwing money around.
It was 5 yr deal,far from long term.

How major was the injury?
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #371
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,767

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Tag him twice. If he bounces back from the injury like we hope he'll be worth the second tag. If he doesn't, you can move on in 2014.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #372
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Tag him twice. If he bounces back from the injury like we hope he'll be worth the second tag. If he doesn't, you can move on in 2014.
Denver won't tag him twice. Too expensive 2 year deal for them. I expect them to get something completed before the deadline
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #373
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
It was 5 yr deal,far from long term.

How major was the injury?
I'm not saying this injury is major, I'm just saying it doesn't help Clady in his negotiations which was a chance he took. If the Broncos inked him to a 5 year deal that's a pretty long time in football years. Point being, he turned it down for whatever reason. I think he did the right thing as far as getting a better contract, I've said it in other posts, having Manning around will help him look all world. His agent and he probably agreed. If Clady stays healthy for the next 3 years and plays every snap, he'll earn his $12m a year. I'm guessing the guranteed money will steer his negotiating ship. If he wants a long term deal with $36m fully guaranteed whether he takes a snap or not, that works out to $12m a year for 3 years. The Broncos are more in the $28m range, if I'm not mistaken.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #374
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Denver won't tag him twice. Too expensive 2 year deal for them. I expect them to get something completed before the deadline

You got 4 days
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #375
Ziggy
Pro Bowler
 
Ziggy's Avatar
 
Noob

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Denver won't tag him twice. Too expensive 2 year deal for them. I expect them to get something completed before the deadline
It won't be any more expensive than giving him a 12million/year contract.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Denver Broncos