The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #326
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
I'm kinda putoff by the fact that they have offered him a contract with $33 million guaranteed and over $10 million per year and he is turning it down. It's kinda ridiculous
That was wrong. In reality it was $18 million guaranteed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #327
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 7,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I think the sticking point has not beenthe yearly amount but the signing bonus. It seems the Broncos are being stingy on that money.

According to Vic Lombardi -

Clady wants Joe Thomas money: 3 years $42M
Broncos offer: 3 years $33M

I don't see where the Clady camp is getting those numbers, that's not what the Thomas contract looks like to me. I like the Broncos offer, and don't think that offer would increase this year or next. I hate that Clady is trying to hamstring the Broncos...not worth it. Franchise him for two years, Manning and Bailey will probably retire after that.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #328
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,280

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default

Give him four years at 47.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #329
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 7,299
Default

After 3 years Clady will be 30, and his pay should drop a couple mil per year after that. Broncos would save a bunch of money by just franchising him for 2 years, and none of it would be guaranteed.

Clady's agent is greedy like Dumervil's.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #330
BroncosfanGuy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Clady's agent is greedy like Dumervil's.
how many benevolent agents are there out there?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #331
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 7,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
how many benevolent agents are there out there?
none that are gainfully employed or they're not doing their job.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #332
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 7,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
how many benevolent agents are there out there?
Dumervil was one of the top 5 highest paid players in the entire NFL over the past two years. Now Clady is trying to be one of the top 7 highest paid players in the NFL? hahahahaha tell that dude's agent to stick it.

Broncos would be ultimate stupid if they fell for that hogwash, and they won't. Isn't top 10 highest paid players enough Clady?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #333
BroncosfanGuy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Dumervil was one of the top 5 highest paid players in the entire NFL over the past two years. Now Clady is trying to be one of the top 7 highest paid players in the NFL?
they are doing what their clients are paying them to do, yes. not really any different than any other agent would do for his client. it's a leverage game & we will see how it shakes out, but I don't see the point in blaming an agent for doing exactly what his client is paying him to do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #334
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Dumervil was one of the top 5 highest paid players in the entire NFL over the past two years. Now Clady is trying to be one of the top 7 highest paid players in the NFL? hahahahaha tell that dude's agent to stick it.

Broncos would be ultimate stupid if they fell for that hogwash, and they won't. Isn't top 10 highest paid players enough Clady?
There is no such thing as enough. He should try to get whatever the market will bear. Period. He didn't work hard to get into the league for the purpose of trying to help a team. No one did. If the Broncos are forced to franchise him 2 years in a row that tells me his value is pretty high.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #335
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 7,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
There is no such thing as enough. He should try to get whatever the market will bear. Period. He didn't work hard to get into the league for the purpose of trying to help a team. No one did. If the Broncos are forced to franchise him 2 years in a row that tells me his value is pretty high.
Players with that attitude can go play for the Browns where they will never even make the playoffs. There are 52 other guys who need to share that $123M. Whatever money Clady makes means less money for everybody else. It ain't like Bowlen is keeping it. It takes a team to win a championship.

...especially when everybody else on the OL is making ~$1M each. By all means, get paid Clady, but why break the team financially?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #336
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
It ain't like Bowlen is keeping it.
?
You lost me here.

He pretty much kept it for about a decade straight. 20th in actual spending=fail.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #337
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 7,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
You lost me here.

He pretty much kept it for about a decade straight. 20th in actual spending=fail.
I don't even know what decade you're referring to.

Using your logic, why shouldn't the Broncos pay Clady $123M this year?

Last edited by pricejj; 07-09-2013 at 10:59 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #338
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
After 3 years Clady will be 30, and his pay should drop a couple mil per year after that. Broncos would save a bunch of money by just franchising him for 2 years, and none of it would be guaranteed.

Clady's agent is greedy like Dumervil's.
Funny how the player is always greedy but the billionaire owners never are.

If Denver ties up almost $12 million next year to franchise Clady next year they will not be able to afford their own FA like Decker, Harris and Woodyard.

They best thing they can do is tie Clady up to a cap friendly contract and get him signed. He is an Iron Man at the position. Really he is about the safest investment on the team.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #339
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I don't even know what decade you're referring to.

Using your logic, why shouldn't the Broncos pay Clady $123M this year?
My argument isn't that we should pay him whatever he wants...but I don't begrudge him for trying to get as much as he can. He is being a rational actor.

What I'm referring to is approx 2000-2009, we were in the bottom 10-12 in actual spending.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #340
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Using your logic, why shouldn't the Broncos pay Clady $123M this year?
I don't think that's really using logic at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #341
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
That's not really using logic at all.
"Too much is not enough".


It's not just a line from a very good B-Movie song.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #342
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 7,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
My argument isn't that we should pay him whatever he wants...but I don't begrudge him for trying to get as much as he can. He is being a rational actor.

What I'm referring to is approx 2000-2009, we were in the bottom 10-12 in actual spending.
I don't begrudge him, but looking at the opportunity costs, there really isn't any reason to make Clady the highest paid LT in the NFL for at least the next 2 years. Not as long as Peyton Manning is on board.

The Broncos could use that extra $4M to re-up Woodyard next year.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #343
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,921

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
My argument isn't that we should pay him whatever he wants...but I don't begrudge him for trying to get as much as he can. He is being a rational actor.

What I'm referring to is approx 2000-2009, we were in the bottom 10-12 in actual spending.
Wasn't a lot of that lack of spending due to a lot of dead cap space because of bad free agent moves?
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #344
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Wasn't a lot of that lack of spending due to a lot of dead cap space because of bad free agent moves?
That is something alleged but it doesn't add up. If you look at the year by year spending there are like 2-3 really high spending years and then like 7 abysmally low years. It doesn't take 7 years like that to balance out 2-3 big years. Also if it were all dead money we would have hit the tidal wave that crippled TEN and SF and we never did. I'm not saying there wasn't any dead money....there was, just that this alone cannot explain it.
__________________
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #345
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 7,299
Default

Crazy thing is Clady won't gain back the money he could have had last year:

Broncos 2012 Offer (5 years $50M)
2012: $10M
2013: $10M
2014: $10M
2015: $10M
2016: $10M
Total: $50M

Broncos Latest 2013 Offer (3 years $33M)
2012: $3M
2013: $11M
2014: $11M
2015: $11M
2016: $11M (estimate)
Total: $47M

Franchise and Sign in 2015:
2012: $3M
2013: $9.8M
2014: $11.8M
2015: $12M (estimate)
2016: $11M (estimate)
Total: $47.6M

That's funny. Now Clady is quibbling to try to make up the money that he was offered in 2012. Good luck with that. Agent is officially a moron. Now his agent has to super-inflate their demands just to try to cover the meager increase over $50M that they haggled for last year. Sign for less, or have fun hitting the market when Clady is 29, bozos.

Last edited by pricejj; 07-10-2013 at 12:02 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #346
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Crazy thing is Clady won't gain back the money he could have had last year:

Broncos 2012 Offer (5 years $50M)
2012: $10M
2013: $10M
2014: $10M
2015: $10M
2016: $10M
Total: $50M

Broncos Latest 2013 Offer (3 years $33M)
2012: $3M
2013: $11M
2014: $11M
2015: $11M
2016: $11M (estimate)
Total: $47M

Franchise and Sign in 2015:
2012: $3M
2013: $9.8M
2014: $11.8M
2015: $12M (estimate)
2016: $11M (estimate)
Total: $47.6M

That's funny. Now Clady is quibbling to try to make up the money that he was offered in 2012. Good luck with that. Agent is officially a moron. Now his agent has to super-inflate their demands just to try to cover the meager increase over $50M that they haggled for last year. Sign for less, or have fun hitting the market when Clady is 29, bozos.
You are not looking at the signing bonuses. The Broncos are refusing to give him the signing bonus other players of his caliber got. We all know those numbers you posted don't mean **** because the Broncos could cut him at anytime.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #347
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Broncos would save a bunch of money by just franchising him for 2 years, and none of it would be guaranteed.
Once the franchise tag is signed, it is 100% guaranteed.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #348
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
They best thing they can do is tie Clady up to a cap friendly contract and get him signed.
If a guy is demanding to be the top paid at his position, the 2nd highest paying position in the entire NFL BTW, it is literally impossible to make it cap friendly.

Tagging him would be more cap friendly than signing him long-term, given the current numbers he and his agent are demanding. It's a rare case where the tag is the cheaper option for a guy at that particular position, but it's true.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #349
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Funny how the player is always greedy but the billionaire owners never are.

If Denver ties up almost $12 million next year to franchise Clady next year they will not be able to afford their own FA like Decker, Harris and Woodyard.

They best thing they can do is tie Clady up to a cap friendly contract and get him signed. He is an Iron Man at the position. Really he is about the safest investment on the team.
I disagree with that statement. Clady's had two major injuries now, was rather "ordinary" for 2 years in the league. Excelled his rookie year and was good last year.
I think he's a good tackle, and I want to keep him, but I also don't think he deserves to be the highest paid tackle in the league. There should be some middle ground there somewhere.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #350
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler
 
JLesSPE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
They best thing they can do is tie Clady up to a cap friendly contract and get him signed. He is an Iron Man at the position. Really he is about the safest investment on the team.
That's all well and good if he'll agree to it. Crappy thing about it is there are two sides involved that have to come to an agreement. The numbers his camp is talking about DNE cap friendly.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Denver Broncos