The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Pioli goes 'KCStud' says Chiefs have three good QBs, didn’t need to draft one

Scott Pioli doesn’t like it when you question his draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 17, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT

Kansas City wanted to sign Peyton Manning this offseason, and when that didn’t work out, there was some talk that the Chiefs might draft a quarterback in the first round. That didn’t happen either, however, and Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli says that’s fine, because the Chiefs don’t need a quarterback.

According to Pioli, starter Matt Cassel and backups Brady Quinn and Ricky Stanzi have the Chiefs well positioned at the most important position.

“I think that we have a really good quarterback,” Pioli said on WHB in Kansas City, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I think we have three good quarterbacks. I think the guy who’s set to be our starting quarterback is a good quarterback, he’s a good starting NFL quarterback. . . . I think as he gets more opportunities, Matt is gonna continue to show people that he’s a good NFL quarterback. It’s interesting. I’ve been out and about town with my family, and I talk to fans, you talk to fans, you hear different things, and there’s a lot of times where I hear from people — there’s people out there that don’t understand the criticism of Matt, or this growing groundswell in pockets of Matt allegedly not being a good enough quarterback.”

Cassel didn’t look like a really good quarterback last season, but Pioli remains convinced that he is one, and he also believes Quinn and Stanzi are capable. And he said using a first-round pick on a quarterback this year would have been a mistake.

“I think we would’ve been reaching,” Pioli said. “By the time we made our first pick there were three quarterbacks off the board.”

Pioli and Kevin Kietzman of WHB got a little testy with each other as Kietzman pressed Pioli about why the Chiefs couldn’t have traded up in the draft, with Pioli at one point asking, “Are you going to let me answer?” when he felt Kietzman was interrupting him, and Pioli zinging Kietzman with, “I hope you become general manager of the Denver Broncos” when Kietzman told Pioli that he would have traded the Chiefs’ entire draft to move up and take Andrew Luck first overall. Pioli doesn’t seem to like the relentless questions from some in Kansas City about whether the Chiefs can win with Cassel.

And Pioli surely knows that the questions will not go away until the Chiefs do win with Cassel. So Pioli just has to hope he’s right that Cassel is a really good quarterback.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-draft-one/
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

LMAO LMAO LMFAO!!!!

It's true, it's on the Mane.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
I has teh Lulz now
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Drunken.Broncoholic

Like a big bag of mashed up azz holes.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I has teh Lulz now
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Black96WS6
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pioli
“I think that we have a really good quarterback,” Pioli said on WHB in Kansas City

Black96WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post

Kansas City wanted to sign Peyton Manning this offseason, and when that didn’t work out, there was some talk that the Chiefs might draft a quarterback in the first round. That didn’t happen either, however, and Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli says that’s fine, because the Chiefs don’t need a quarterback.

According to Pioli, starter Matt Cassel and backups Brady Quinn and Ricky Stanzi have the Chiefs well positioned at the most important position.

“I think that we have a really good quarterback,” Pioli said on WHB in Kansas City, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I think we have three good quarterbacks. I think the guy who’s set to be our starting quarterback is a good quarterback, he’s a good starting NFL quarterback. . . . I think as he gets more opportunities, Matt is gonna continue to show people that he’s a good NFL quarterback. It’s interesting. I’ve been out and about town with my family, and I talk to fans, you talk to fans, you hear different things, and there’s a lot of times where I hear from people — there’s people out there that don’t understand the criticism of Matt, or this growing groundswell in pockets of Matt allegedly not being a good enough quarterback.”

Cassel didn’t look like a really good quarterback last season, but Pioli remains convinced that he is one, and he also believes Quinn and Stanzi are capable. And he said using a first-round pick on a quarterback this year would have been a mistake.

“I think we would’ve been reaching,” Pioli said. “By the time we made our first pick there were three quarterbacks off the board.”

Pioli and Kevin Kietzman of WHB got a little testy with each other as Kietzman pressed Pioli about why the Chiefs couldn’t have traded up in the draft, with Pioli at one point asking, “Are you going to let me answer?” when he felt Kietzman was interrupting him, and Pioli zinging Kietzman with, “I hope you become general manager of the Denver Broncos” when Kietzman told Pioli that he would have traded the Chiefs’ entire draft to move up and take Andrew Luck first overall. Pioli doesn’t seem to like the relentless questions from some in Kansas City about whether the Chiefs can win with Cassel.

And Pioli surely knows that the questions will not go away until the Chiefs do win with Cassel. So Pioli just has to hope he’s right that Cassel is a really good quarterback.

If they were satisfied with their QB situation, they wouldn't have gone after Manning...simple as that. Matter of fact, if it weren't for Cassel's contract, they would prolly cut him and would have drafted a QB.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This was said in February. Reaching for straws I see
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Well there you go
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Is your name Christopher in RL, by chance?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
If they were satisfied with their QB situation, they wouldn't have gone after Manning...simple as that. Matter of fact, if it weren't for Cassel's contract, they would prolly cut him and would have drafted a QB.
Yep. $60m wasted but by God Pioli is gonna prove he was worth it! Even if Cassel has a decent year that's $60m for one good year?

I guess you can't fix stupid.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post

he makes the division so much easier!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #15
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
If it was said in Feb then why were they going after Manning??
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
I thought I told you to knock it off. You're the only one reaching for straws and giving us all a good chuckle in the meantime.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If I was Pioli, this is what I would have done this offseason with Cassel: I would have asked him to restructure his contract, that is, I would have asked him to take a lot less money.

If he said "no." then I would have said "fine Matt, fine."

Then I would have drafted Weedon.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:

Did the draft happen in February?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
McD more rings than Elway

The last time the Queefs drafted a quarterback in the first round was 1983.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
ClamChowdah

Pioli is just another guy who got rich living off of Bill Belichick.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Cassel is a decent starter (same thing I said about Orton), no more than that. Of course, that is putting him and Orton into perspective with the perennial avg to below avg guys like Matt Moore, Tarvaris, Kolb, Fitzpatrick, Campbell, etc, etc.

He's a guy just like Orton, decent if everything else is great, but certainly you want to upgrade. Hence all those people Pioli is hoping will just go away and leave him and Cassel alone.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamChowdah View Post
Are you excited about Belichick joining forces again with Josh McDaniels?

When Belichick retires, McDaniels is going to continue the Patriots dynasty just like Belichick built upon the greatness that Bill Parcells started.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Cassel is a decent starter (same thing I said about Orton), no more than that. Of course, that is putting him and Orton into perspective with the perennial avg to below avg guys like Matt Moore, Tarvaris, Kolb, Fitzpatrick, Campbell, etc, etc.

He's a guy just like Orton, decent if everything else is great, but certainly you want to upgrade. Hence all those people Pioli is hoping will just go away and leave him and Cassel alone.
Decent starter my ass. Cassel is a steaming pile of ****.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamChowdah View Post

Old 05-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #25
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

just wait to one of them leaves a wrapper laying around the facilities!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote