The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Ronnie Tsunami

Default Bucs resign kicker Barth with big $$$, should facilitate Prater signing

The bar has been set this afternoon. This guy just got a 4 year, 13.2 million dollar deal.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...th-4-year-deal

Let's stack him up against Matt Prater, who is currently "technically not under contract."

If anything, this lets the front office how much they truly need to pay prater if they are going to keep him. Prater is every bit as good as Barth, with a much stronger leg. Should facilitate our resigning of prater, or release, if that is the direction we want to go.

To extrapolate, the biggest kicker contract in history was Janikowski's 4 year, 16 million dollar doozie.

Thanks, Bucs.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Drunken.Broncoholic

Good thing the home games are in thin air. Prater is great but it's also easier in colorado to kick a field goal than in Florida. Not too long ago Prater couldn't hit a barn in the 40-49 range. Praters value was huge with tebow. Not quite as valuable with manning

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 05-17-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Gah

That's a lot of money.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Prater is great but it's also easier in colorado to kick a field goal than in Florida.
Couldn't disagree more. Altitude may affect distance, but it doesn't help accuracy. And it's a lot tougher to kick in Denver weather than Tampa weather (plus Tampa plays many more away games in domes, due to their division/conference). In short, it's "easier" to kick in Tampa than Denver IMO....especially now that the kickoff has been moved to the 35 for everyone.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Couldn't disagree more. Altitude may affect distance, but it doesn't help accuracy. And it's a lot tougher to kick in Denver weather than Tampa weather (plus Tampa plays many more away games in domes, due to their division/conference). In short, it's "easier" to kick in Tampa than Denver IMO....especially now that the kickoff has been moved to the 35 for everyone.
That's true. I was thinking more along the lines of distance. I still need to see more 40-49yard field goals consistently from him though. I get nervous when he's in that range. Over 50 under 40 no problem.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert's Turban View Post
Should facilitate our resigning of prater, or release, if that is the direction we want to go.
I don't see releasing him as an option. They used the franchise tag on him so Prater isn't holding all the cards. He can sit out if a long term deal isn't reached, but he would be in the same situation again next year.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I've also seen a few people say this now, and I'd like to address it:

Quote:
Praters value was huge with tebow. Not quite as valuable with manning
I wouldn't be so sure. Last year, we were ranked #28 in the league in field goal attempts. Only 4 teams attempted fewer field goals. That's embarrassing for a team that plays half its games in Denver, where you should be attempting MORE kicks if anything.

We did, of course, lean on him in quite a few high pressure situations late in the 4th quarter and OT due to all the close games which we may not duplicate this year with Manning. But it would be a mistake to underestimate how valuable he becomes with a QB like Manning who should get us into field goal range more than the 1.5 times per game under Orton/Tebow. I wouldn't be surprised if Prater comes close to doubling his attempts this year. He will most certainly be a valuable part of our scoring units once again this year.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

prater has earned his money. you can't really help what the market for kickers has turned into, so the alternative is to pay less and sign a much more unreliable kicker. From what i've read, those alternatives are guys like Longwell, Rayner, Buehler, etc.--not exactly guys that inspire confidence.

prater's a good fit here. the only question is do we write him up on something like a 5 year deal or stick to a 3 year. broncos can just keep franchising the guy and he'll get top 5 kicker money as long as they do.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I would not give a long term deal to a kicker
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
do you let a proven kicker go should someone like KC offer more years but same annual salary?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Just to stir the pot a little...

Prater made some huge kicks last year, and he was a bigger part of Denver's winning streak than a kicker would typically be. But he's still a kicker, and one who's made just 80.4% of his attempts with the Broncos, including an atrocious 12 of 23 from 40-49 yards (52.2%).

If you're wondering, Ryan Longwell is available and has made 83.2% of his career kicks, including 72.4% from 40-49 yards.

Steven Hauschka, who stepped in for an injured Prater in 2010 and became Seattle's kicker last season after Denver cut him in the preseason, was good 83.3% of the time in 2011, including 7 of 8 (87.5%) from 40-49. He's also a free agent - perhaps Denver should consider bringing him back.

Besides, PMFM doesn't appreciate drunk/idiot kickers.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prim...eason-workouts

Last edited by TonyR; 05-17-2012 at 01:32 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Good thing the home games are in thin air. Prater is great but it's also easier in colorado to kick a field goal than in Florida. Not too long ago Prater couldn't hit a barn in the 40-49 range. Praters value was huge with tebow. Not quite as valuable with manning
What? So Elam wasn't valuable when he was with Elway... or Plummer? You are on a retarded roll today!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Elam had a long term deal it took us awhile to replace him.

I think once you find a dependable kicker you should lock him up.

Where I balk is giving him 14 mil for only 4 years.

I could a 5 year deal for 8-10 mil or less if they could swing it.

I agree with Beantown, I think Prater will get more chances as we will get into scoring position more than 1 time per game like we did with Tebow.

Plus with Manning as the QB we can try the longer kicks rather than be forced to punt and play field position like we had to last year.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Elam had a long term deal it took us awhile to replace him.

I think once you find a dependable kicker you should lock him up.

Where I balk is giving him 14 mil for only 4 years.

I could a 5 year deal for 8-10 mil or less if they could swing it.

I agree with Beantown, I think Prater will get more chances as we will get into scoring position more than 1 time per game like we did with Tebow.

Plus with Manning as the QB we can try the longer kicks rather than be forced to punt and play field position like we had to last year.
Agreed. Just sign him. He was pretty money last year. Hell, for the chicago game alone he earned it
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Agreed. Just sign him. He was pretty money last year. Hell, for the chicago game alone he earned it
Second that!!!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Just to stir the pot a little...

Prater made some huge kicks last year, and he was a bigger part of Denver's winning streak than a kicker would typically be. But he's still a kicker, and one who's made just 80.4% of his attempts with the Broncos, including an atrocious 12 of 23 from 40-49 yards (52.2%).

If you're wondering, Ryan Longwell is available and has made 83.2% of his career kicks, including 72.4% from 40-49 yards.

Steven Hauschka, who stepped in for an injured Prater in 2010 and became Seattle's kicker last season after Denver cut him in the preseason, was good 83.3% of the time in 2011, including 7 of 8 (87.5%) from 40-49. He's also a free agent - perhaps Denver should consider bringing him back.

Besides, PMFM doesn't appreciate drunk/idiot kickers.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prim...eason-workouts
All they do is stir the pot. They think the sarcasm and attempt at wit in their writing style makes for a good read, it does not.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
All they do is stir the pot.
Somewhat agree. But they do make some fair points about his %, particularly his numbers from 40-49 which are not good.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Somewhat agree. But they do make some fair points about his %, particularly his numbers from 40-49 which are not good.
Too small a sample size.

Over the course of two whole seasons from 2009-2010, he was 12 for 15 on field goals between 40-49 yds. One bad stretch can swing the percentages when you're talking about 1 attempt in that range every 2-3 weeks.

1 more made kick in two seasons? 87%
1 more missed kick in two seasons? 73%

Last edited by Beantown Bronco; 05-17-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
i don't know about that. a good field goal kicker is a good thing to have no matter who is QB. with his leg it also basically can guarantee Denver's offense is good for 3 just about any time it sets foot on the field
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

i do like Prater though so I would hate to see him go especially after last years monster season.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I think you should wait and see how he does this year where as many have said he'll be getting more FG attempts. If he has a good year then you extend him, if not let him walk and get another kicker or just use the tag again in 2013 if it's not needed elsewhere (Clady)
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Give Prater a 3 year deal worth about $9m total with aprox. $4.5m or half fully guaranteed. That's basically $1.5m a year fully guaranteed.

done deal, move on with the rooks.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Too small a sample size...
Fair argument. But I still wouldn't go too crazy $ with him.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

once you get an elite kicker you ride that mother like a hooker in a back alley until he isn't work ****.

pay the man his money. not interested in trying to draft or break in a new young K.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #25
lolcopter

2 mill a year and a season pass to shotguns