The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Elway couldn't pass on Manning's heir apparent

Elway couldn't pass on Manning's heir apparent

Arnie Stapleton Tuesday May 15, 2012 - 4:20 PM

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - John Elway says he just couldn't pass on Peyton Manning's heir apparent, even though he hopes Brock Osweiler will be holding a clipboard for years to come.

Elway said he had to "sacrifice the short-term for the long-term" when he used a second-round pick last month on the Arizona State quarterback rather than drafting a player who could help Manning right away.

The boss of the Denver Broncos was joined by coach John Fox in an hour-long conference call with 6,000 season ticket holders Tuesday, and one caller from suburban Broomfield asked Elway for his reasoning in selecting Osweiler with the 57th overall pick.

The Hall of Fame quarterback, who rejoined the Broncos last year as vice president of football operations, replied: "It's always tough to pick a quarterback that you know is not going to play for you for a while. But I think we have high hopes for him in the future to where once Peyton decides to hang them up that he's the guy in waiting that can keep this (going) and we don't miss a beat ... and we can continue to compete for world championships year in and year out."

Manning signed a five-year, $96 million deal in Denver after his release from Indianapolis. His father, Archie, has said he thinks his son is "year-to-year" after missing all of last season because of a nerve injury that caused weakness in his throwing arm.

Manning, however, has said he intends to fulfill all five years of his contract.

That would mean a long apprenticeship for Osweiler, a 21-year-old righty from Montana who stands 6-foot-8 and is working hard to fix flaws in his throwing motion to better capitalize on his height advantage. http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105508

"It's a perfect situation where there's not the pressure for him to come in and start right away," Elway said. "He's not ready for that. But he's also going to learn from Peyton and ... I think it's a great learning experience for him to where we are set for the future.

"And he's our guy for the future," Elway said. "And sometimes we have to sacrifice the short-term for the long-term to grab the guy that you believe can be that next guy for you, and that's Brock Osweiler."

For The Rest... http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...-heir-apparent
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

He's really high on this guy. I hope he sees something I don't. I don't think he sucks the way other people do, but Elway talks like this guy is a franchise QB. I don't see the skill set. He's "ok". I know people say he didn't start very much, but that's kind of a my point. I have no idea how he is as a leader of men, but he comes off as rah-rah type. That might work in college but he seems like kind of a goober to me.

Mind you I'm not saying he sucks or is going to suck, just not sure what the big deal is...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
But I think we have high hopes for him in the future to where once Peyton decides to hang them up that he's the guy in waiting that can keep this (going) and we don't miss a beat ... and we can continue to compete for world championships year in and year out."]
Good to know John goes in with such reasonable expectations.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Good to know John goes in with such reasonable expectations.
You expect titles, you just might get 'em. You expect failure, you get the KC Chiefs.

Sincerely,

Tony Robbins
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He's really high on this guy. I hope he sees something I don't. I don't think he sucks the way other people do, but Elway talks like this guy is a franchise QB. I don't see the skill set. He's "ok". I know people say he didn't start very much, but that's kind of a my point. I have no idea how he is as a leader of men, but he comes off as rah-rah type. That might work in college but he seems like kind of a goober to me.

Mind you I'm not saying he sucks or is going to suck, just not sure what the big deal is...

He's a tall pocket passer with a quick release and strong arm

What skill set are you not seeing exactly?

Also lol at the rah rah leadership comment given the last guy we had under center
Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
McD more rings than Elway

Looking at the history of the sit-and-wait QBs (Steve McNair, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers), I think there's a good chance Osweiler works out if he gets the opportunity to sit for three years.Todd Graham, the new ASU coach from Pitt, is an a-hole. I don't blame Osweiler for leaving. With 4,000+ yards and 26 TDs, I like the on-field performance from him too when you factor in that he was a redshirt-sophomore. In terms of ability, Osweiler was a better value in the late 2nd than no-upside Brandon Weeden in the 1st or project QB Ryan Tannehill at 8th overall. One round later, a midget (Russell Wilson) and a Kyle Orton clone (Nick Foles) get taken.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post

What skill set are you not seeing exactly?

Also lol at the rah rah leadership comment given the last guy we had under center
Well I wasn't the biggest proponent for Tebow being a starting a QB. I was against drafting him and still luke-warm on his chances in the NFL, though I did love him, the guy.

And being tall and having a quick release isn't "skill." I'm talking about accuracy, reading defenses, making good decisions and managing a game. Kind of "meh" in those categories I think you'll agree.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
lolcopter

Quote:
Well I wasn't the biggest proponent for Tebow being a starting a QB. I was against drafting him and still luke-warm on his chances in the NFL, though I did love him, the guy.

And being tall and having a quick release isn't "skill." I'm talking about accuracy, reading defenses, making good decisions and managing a game. Kind of "meh" in those categories I think you'll agree.
I would argue that physical attribute certainly do fall under a skill set, and while he does have plenty of work to do in those other areas, it's not as if the guy has a ton of experience to play off of. He has all the physical tools, he just needs to build on the mental aspects of the game which requires time and practice
Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

do you think elway gets a boner when he watches twilight
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
BroncoBeavis

Quote:

What skill set are you not seeing exactly?r
The one where he replaces Peyton frickin' Manning and nobody misses a beat.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Talent and skill are two different things. Having a strong arm, being tall, athleticism - those are things you are born with. You can improve them in some small measure. Skill is proficiency built from knowledge, practice and aptitude. Having a quick mind mind help you process information to read a defense, but reading a defense is a skill.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Talent and skill are two different things. Having a strong arm, being tall, athleticism - those are things you are born with. You can improve them in some small measure. Skill is proficiency built from knowledge, practice and aptitude. Having a quick mind mind help you process information to read a defense, but reading a defense is a skill.
So in essence, despite their both being pocket passers, Osweiler is the polar opposite of Peyton Manning.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:

I agree with most of what you say in this post but I hope Elway is right in what he sees in him. I just don't see a team in the SEC or Big 12 that he would have started for in 2011.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
I would argue that physical attribute certainly do fall under a skill set, and while he does have plenty of work to do in those other areas, it's not as if the guy has a ton of experience to play off of. He has all the physical tools, he just needs to build on the mental aspects of the game which requires time and practice

Meh, he'll never get to actually see the field.

Sincerely,

Jim Sorgi
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Meh, he'll never get to actually see the field.

Sincerely,

Jim Sorgi
Wasn't sorgi like a 6th round pick?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Yes and so was Painter (may have been a 7th).
Old 05-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I agree with most of what you say in this post but I hope Elway is right in what he sees in him. I just don't see a team in the SEC or Big 12 that he would have started for in 2011.
That's high praise since SEC QB's typically suck balls.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I think he isn't that good, but there are number of team in both the Big 12 (Kansas, TT, Iowa State) and Sec (old Miss, Miss State, Auburn South Carolina) that he would have started at.

Bottom line I think Elway felt very comfortable with someone both his son and a friend (Ericson) spoke highly of.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

The last time we went from a GOAT QB to a 2nd rounder we missed more than a beat...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
The last time we went from a GOAT QB to a 2nd rounder we missed more than a beat...
I think Griese was a third, but im picking nits
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
R-Mac

With one more season as a starter at Arizona State, Osweiler probably would have been a first round pick in 2013. There were eight first round quarterbacks in the last two drafts. Blaine Gabbert was far from impressive at Missouri, he could not produce better stats than undrafted free agent Chase Daniel. Gabbert was a top ten pick because a team saw upside in a combination of prototypical size, arm strength and athletic ability. And Gabbert is not even a tough guy in the pocket, while Osweiler finishes his throws even when he knows he's going to get hit. Christian Ponder was a surprise first round pick. The Browns just drafted a twenty eight year-old quarterback in the first round.

The problem in the current situation is that Osweiler won't have one more season of experience on the field to get better. The upside is still there, but he will spend the season out of the field, holding a clipboard and watching film. At least the Broncos invested in a quarterback of the future, something that could have saved Bill Polian's job. Polian lost his job because he did not care about the backup quarterback. The Colts never needed Jim Sorgi, but they needed the dreadful Curtis Painter when Peyton Manning had several neck surgeries. And look what happened.

You don't know when you'll need your backup quarterback, but you better have someone ready and talented enough to win games.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

If he keeps his elbow up like in that mini camp video, I might change my mind on his throwing.

Gotta fix that arm coming through late when he tries to put something on it though.

The ball should be exploding out of the arm of someone who is 6'7" or whatever.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

I don't believe a single word out of Elway's mouth, he's got this lying thing down.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I think Griese was a third, but im picking nits
Repped for correcting.

Point remains.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Man Elway is really in love with this kid! He's got all the tools to be good. I just hope he learns the nuances of the game and how to prepare from the two of the best QB's to ever play the game.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote