The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Denver724
Ring of Famer
 
Denver724's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,517
Default LB Steven Johnson gets top signing bonus among Broncos 13 undrafted rookies

I love Eric Page. Only signed for what we had left of the UDFA cap ($76,585). I am certain he came to Denver because he feels it is his best chance to make a roster.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...rookies/13448/

Steven Johnson, linebacker, $12,000
Coryell Judie, cornerback, $10,000
Jerry Franklin, linebacker, $10,000
Jamie Blatnik, defensive end, $10,000
Duke Ihenacho, safety, $8,500
Anthony Miller, tight end, $5,000
Mike Remmers, offensive tackle, $5,000
Aaron Brewer, long snapper, $4,000
Gerrell Robinson, receiver, $3,500
Elliot Coffey, linebacker, $3,000
Austin Wuebbels, guard, $2,500
Wayne Tribue, $2,000
Eric Page, receiver, $1,085
Total $76,585
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
g6matty
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

we signed steven johnson to a contract this morning
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
JCMElway
Moderate-erator
 
JCMElway's Avatar
 
Dominate!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,269

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default

So, he gets paid 1K for, what? How long a time/pay period is that? I make 1K at my job for 2-3 weeks!
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Denver724
Ring of Famer
 
Denver724's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
So, he gets paid 1K for, what? How long a time/pay period is that? I make 1K at my job for 2-3 weeks!
UDFA get a signing bonus. Teams can only spend $76,585 on bonuses.
Denver724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,397

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
So, he gets paid 1K for, what? How long a time/pay period is that? I make 1K at my job for 2-3 weeks!
It's a free agent signing bonus. I think it's just to show up to camp. It's obviously guaranteed.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBen's Avatar
 
Go Broncos !!

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
I love Eric Page. Only signed for what we had left of the UDFA cap ($76,585). I am certain he came to Denver because he feels it is his best chance to make a roster.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...rookies/13448/

Steven Johnson, linebacker, $12,000
Coryell Judie, cornerback, $10,000
Jerry Franklin, linebacker, $10,000
Jamie Blatnik, defensive end, $10,000
Duke Ihenacho, safety, $8,500
Anthony Miller, tight end, $5,000
Mike Remmers, offensive tackle, $5,000
Aaron Brewer, long snapper, $4,000
Gerrell Robinson, receiver, $3,500
Elliot Coffey, linebacker, $3,000
Austin Wuebbels, guard, $2,500
Wayne Tribue, $2,000
Eric Page, receiver, $1,085
Total $76,585
Maybe one or two of these guys makes the final roster.. most likely the practice squad.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,564

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

I wonder if Wuebbels wobbles at all, but won't fall down
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,288
Default

Eric Page was the 13th and last UDFA to sign after Denver persuaded him to back away from his offer from Tampa Bay, so he had to take the left over crumbs, but it could prove to be a wise move for him as we have a need for a slot WR and a return man.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,264

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Eric Page was the 13th and last UDFA to sign after Denver persuaded him to back away from his offer from Tampa Bay, so he had to take the left over crumbs, but it could prove to be a wise move for him as we have a need for a slot WR and a return man.
Curious that Page would jump from the Tampa Bay Bucs to us for $1K. I wonder if the Broncos gave him some sort of guarantee for the practice squad (at worst) this year...?
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,629

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
So, he gets paid 1K for, what? How long a time/pay period is that? I make 1K at my job for 2-3 weeks!
A signing bonus is basically free money that's guaranteed for signing the contract.

They're all likely making the rookie minimum, which comes out to something like $119,000 a year - divide that out by twelve months then multiply it for however long they stay on their roster, and that's what they make for trying to make an NFL football team.

A friend I went to college with got drafted by the Florida Panthers as a goalie. He got called up for a couple games and all of the sudden $30,000 was in his bank account. He saved it because who knows if he'll stick in the league
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Curious that Page would jump from the Tampa Bay Bucs to us for $1K. I wonder if the Broncos gave him some sort of guarantee for the practice squad (at worst) this year...?
My guess is Denver did a good job of explaining/selling the opportunity he would have in Denver and told him the return job was wide open for the taking and that he would have a chance to compete/develop as a slot WR.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Curious that Page would jump from the Tampa Bay Bucs to us for $1K. I wonder if the Broncos gave him some sort of guarantee for the practice squad (at worst) this year...?
Peyton ****ing Manning

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer
 
outdoor_miner's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,152

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

This is really interesting. Johnson gets the most $, although he has received the least amount of "hype" of the Top 5 UDFAs (not that it really means anything - just interesting who to keep an eye on).

Top 5 guys are defense, and the first offensive guy is a Tight End? This is in line with the notion that the team feels really good about their WR depth.

3 LBs (Trevathan, Johnson, and Franklin) as late round/highly-paid UDFA. Will be interesting to see what this means for Irving and Mohamad.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 22,421

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I wonder if Wuebbels wobbles at all, but won't fall down
For $2500, we shall find out. The irony is he went to Fisher Price University.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

I bet there are lots of college players that would pay the Broncos money for a chance to make the team.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,370

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
Maybe one or two of these guys makes the final roster.. most likely the practice squad.
bet on Johnson, Brewer and Robinson.

i really think Denver will switch out Paxton with Brewer if Brewer shows he can do the job. why pay a guy over a million a year when you can get someone younger to do the job and make league minimum? i don't agree with the move as Paxton is one of the best in the league as a LS, unless he is supposed to play his former team, but the team has shown it is at times cutting costs.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,907
Default

Johnson,Judie,Franklin and Page are the most likely to make it IMO.
we have next to nothing in depth at LB even when you add in Trevathan from the draft.

WR is wide open after DT,Decker & Caldwell and Page is a WR that we don't currently have on the roster unless Stokley is back being what he was in Indy. CB is finally a strength but Judie is a very talented guy who could take someone's spot.

Ihenacho,Wuebbles are perfect PS guys. but we've seen injuries deplete our roster before so who knows.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
schaaf
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver724 View Post
I love Eric Page. Only signed for what we had left of the UDFA cap ($76,585). I am certain he came to Denver because he feels it is his best chance to make a roster.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...rookies/13448/

Steven Johnson, linebacker, $12,000
Coryell Judie, cornerback, $10,000
Jerry Franklin, linebacker, $10,000
Jamie Blatnik, defensive end, $10,000
Duke Ihenacho, safety, $8,500
Anthony Miller, tight end, $5,000
Mike Remmers, offensive tackle, $5,000
Aaron Brewer, long snapper, $4,000
Gerrell Robinson, receiver, $3,500
Elliot Coffey, linebacker, $3,000
Austin Wuebbels, guard, $2,500
Wayne Tribue, $2,000
Eric Page, receiver, $1,085
Total $76,585

This tells me they must have promised Eric Page something for this season.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
A signing bonus is basically free money that's guaranteed for signing the contract.

They're all likely making the rookie minimum, which comes out to something like $119,000 a year - divide that out by twelve months then multiply it for however long they stay on their roster, and that's what they make for trying to make an NFL football team.

A friend I went to college with got drafted by the Florida Panthers as a goalie. He got called up for a couple games and all of the sudden $30,000 was in his bank account. He saved it because who knows if he'll stick in the league
The NFL effectively pays "game checks" for regular season play, so there is no dividing by twelve or anything. Its $119,000 divided by 17 (bye week), every game you're on the roster you get that.

Practice squad guys make about $85,000 from what I've heard.

All of this comes after final cuts. During camp and pre-season every guy gets a couple thousand a week as well.

So if you're a rookie who lasts all through camp and then goes directly to the practice squad you're probably making real close to $100K or a little more for the year.

The max on UDFA bonuses if I recall is $30,000. Under both Shanahan and McDaniels we usually had a guy we'd drop the big $30K bomb on out of the gates and we'd have a few nobodies who got no bonus at the bottom of the UDFA list. Interesting that this FO decided to use a more balanced approach. Doesn't seem to have hurt their ability to sign guys at all, especially with Page taking almost nothing to come here.

Page is a great fit here though. I have a hard time seeing Stokley make the final roster and then make it through the whole season. Page would be an ideal understudy who could fill the same slot WR role.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Practice squad guys make about $85,000 from what I've heard.
It's more like $300,000...or at least it used to be before the new CBA.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,240

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
It's more like $300,000...or at least it used to be before the new CBA.
That's not correct. You're thinking of the NFL league minimum for players who make the actual game day rosters vs. the practice squad guy's salaries. The practice squad guys have always made around $85K a year and the CBA didn't affect them.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th..._squad_players
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,105
Default

Long write up on Duke Ihenacho at IAOFM today...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-duke-ihenacho
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #23
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,629

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
It's more like $300,000...or at least it used to be before the new CBA.
Not even close to that. The rookie minimum has gone up.... I want to say it's around $250,000 but I'm not sure.

Last year Mike Lockley got fined $20,000 for a hit. He was relegated to the practice squad and it turned out that $20,000 was a huge chunk of what he was making yearly for being on the P-squad.

According to yahoo sports, he was making $5,700 per week as a PS player. That's about $70,000 per year.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #24
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,629

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Long write up on Duke Ihenacho at IAOFM today...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-duke-ihenacho
He seems like a good prospect.

I think Elway and Fox put a huge stock on strength this draft. Most of the guys we picked aren't the fastest players fo their position, but they're big and strong.

Ihenacho and Boldin were both at the top of their class in lifting.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
He seems like a good prospect.

I think Elway and Fox put a huge stock on strength this draft. Most of the guys we picked aren't the fastest players fo their position, but they're big and strong.

Ihenacho and Boldin were both at the top of their class in lifting.
don't think it was strength they focused on. most of the guys we landed are very good at their position but not overly athletic.

of the guys they took or signed the guys are very good at the main job of their position, be it tackling at LB, covering at CB or blocking on OL.
the guys are also flexible and can multiple positions.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Denver Broncos