The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #26
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,733
Default

Are they talking true no huddle/hurry up or the Colts' half huddle while calling everything at the line?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #27
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Are they talking true no huddle/hurry up or the Colts' half huddle while calling everything at the line?
Manning's No-Huddle. It gives a big advantage to the Offense, because the Defense can't substitute. The Defense can change looks, or bring different blitzes, but the Offensive formation is always the same, so all Manning has to do is audible the routes or blocking assignments. The skill players on Offense become very familiar with the Defensive players they are facing, and are able to win battles consistently. Rather than constantly changing formations and shuttling personnel in and out in an attempt to confuse the Defense. The Colts utilized their 6 best skill players out of the base formation, all game long. Manning was able to study the Defense, it's tendencies, the match-ups, and capitalize on the Defensive weaknesses. You also have the opportunity to score quickly.

All these factors result in a perennial top scoring Offenses, no matter the personnel changes from year to year.

Last edited by pricejj; 05-14-2012 at 01:45 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,286
Default

Running it will definitely be fun to watch....my only concern would be if the no huddle Manning runs can be implemented by opening day
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #29
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,358

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley all had over 1,000 yards in 2004.
This is what I was thinking of.

When the Colts had Stokes, they utilized him quite a bit.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #30
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Andre Caldwell ran a 4.37 in 2008 and he will help stretch the defense. Jason Hill runs in the low 4.3's





Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #31
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
McCoy who?
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...peyton-manning
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #32
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,897

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
Nice stuff Pricejj ... good read.
Damn man where do you get them pics??
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #33
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis
 
Broncobiv's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Manning's No-Huddle. It gives a big advantage to the Offense, because the Defense can't substitute. The Defense can change looks, or bring different blitzes, but the Offensive formation is always the same, so all Manning has to do is audible the routes or blocking assignments. The skill players on Offense become very familiar with the Defensive players they are facing, and are able to win battles consistently. Rather than constantly changing formations and shuttling personnel in and out in an attempt to confuse the Defense. The Colts utilized their 6 best skill players out of the base formation, all game long. Manning was able to study the Defense, it's tendencies, the match-ups, and capitalize on the Defensive weaknesses. You also have the opportunity to score quickly.

All these factors result in a perennial top scoring Offenses, no matter the personnel changes from year to year.
If it's that "easy", works so well, and gives such an incredible advantage to the offense, why don't more teams use an offense like Manning's (like anyone else)?

I assume the answer is because it would take a QB both as physically and, more importantly, mentally gifted as Manning? And no quarterback, possibly ever, fits that criteria?
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #34
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobiv View Post
If it's that "easy", works so well, and gives such an incredible advantage to the offense, why don't more teams use an offense like Manning's (like anyone else)?

I assume the answer is because it would take a QB both as physically and, more importantly, mentally gifted as Manning? And no quarterback, possibly ever, fits that criteria?
All of the elite NFL QB's use the no-huddle (Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees). Now that the Steelers have a new OC, the Roethlisberger will be using a lot more no-huddle.

The full-time Manning no-huddle worked because Manning is the most prepared QB in the history of the NFL, with probably the best ball placement.

Remember, the no-huddle limits the Offense as well (limited communication, limited personnel, strenuous pace).
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #35
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,349
Default

Here is a great piece, by Chris Brown, on the Colt's No-Huddle with Manning. A simple Offense, that depended on EXECUTION. Brown also focused on the 2006 season, like I did. I hope Manning has his way, and runs HIS Offense...not McCoy's.

http://smartfootball.com/offense/pey...-colts-offense

To me, this is the most interesting story, going forward.


Who's Offense are the Broncos going to run?


Check out the "Levels" and "Fin (Inverted Levels)" plays. Manning's favorite plays, out of the no-huddle. VERY EXCITING.

The Colts running game was a "Pin-and-Pull Outside ZBS" ...also used by the Colorado Buffaloes in the early 1990's. Single back, 2 TE set.

As you can see, the passing and running game were perfect complements to each other, and perfect in the no-huddle. Same formation...infinite possibilities.

KNOW YOUR ROLE MCCOY.

Last edited by pricejj; 05-21-2012 at 10:28 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #36
eff1ngham
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I just read that same article this morning (http://smartfootball.com/offense/pey...-colts-offense) and it got me thinking about this thread. (I've been lurking here for a little over a year, figured I may as well actually create an account and start posting ). There were two points I wasn't sure on that I was talking about over the weekend with a few friends:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
2. "Who's going to be the 3rd WR?"
Answer: Probably no one. Caldwell, Hill, Stokley, Dell, etc....yeah those guys? They probably won't even get on the field. Below, are all the significant stats for Colts Offensive players in 2006. Notice only 6 guys got the ball ALL YEAR LONG. Only the RB's rotated (every other drive).
The only reason I can see us using Caldwell or another WR playing a lot more is that in the 2006 season Harrison and Wayne were both veterans by that point. And in 2009 Wayne was basically one of the top WRs in the game (though Collie was a rookie and Garcon essentially was as well). This will be the first year Thomas should start the year healthy and as a starter, and Decker only started last year. Not that Caldwell is a true vet or anything, but I could see him getting more playing time if Thomas or Decker struggle at all. Or the same could be said for one of the new guys/rookies.

Quote:
The 2012 Broncos have personnel very similar to the 2006 Colts (and 2011/2012 Patriots). We have 6 Offensive weapons who are touchdown scoring machines. I put in some very obtainable passing, receiving, and rushing goals for the Offense. I believe the primary formation will have:

1. DT split-wide to the left
2. Tamme lined up in the slot (on either side)
3. Dreessen lined up covering the OT (on either side)
4. A single RB (either McGahee or Hillman)
5. Decker split-wide to the right

Tell me what you think.
Again, the question here I'd have is at RB. Willis and Hillman seem the most likely to split time, but will Knowshon play at all? I believe McGahee has only had one season where he ever caught more than 30 passes. Addai, Rhodes and Brown were all fairly competent receivers (well, Brown is supposed to be, guess he's never shown it). Hillman is supposed to have good hands, and Knowshon has shown a few flashes out of the backfield. I just wonder if they'd go to those two more often since they're better pass catchers, and use Willis more early in games, or late when we're protecting leads.

I'm definitely pumped to see our offense in action though!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #37
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,105

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

I don't think i'm the only one that hopes McCoy is handcuffed when it comes to our offense...much in the way it seemed Xanders was with his job. I'm sure we'll have a few different looks than what they had in Indy but for the most part, it'll be the single back sets with either the 3 WR's or 2 TE's.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #38
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
I just read that same article this morning (http://smartfootball.com/offense/pey...-colts-offense) and it got me thinking about this thread. (I've been lurking here for a little over a year, figured I may as well actually create an account and start posting ). There were two points I wasn't sure on that I was talking about over the weekend with a few friends:
Thanks for posting...most exciting Broncos offseason EVER.



Quote:
Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
The only reason I can see us using Caldwell or another WR playing a lot more is that in the 2006 season Harrison and Wayne were both veterans by that point. And in 2009 Wayne was basically one of the top WRs in the game (though Collie was a rookie and Garcon essentially was as well). This will be the first year Thomas should start the year healthy and as a starter, and Decker only started last year. Not that Caldwell is a true vet or anything, but I could see him getting more playing time if Thomas or Decker struggle at all. Or the same could be said for one of the new guys/rookies.
We are about to find out how good DT is at running routes. You are right though, Caldwell will probably be the 1st guy off the bench in the event that DT or Decker are not able to consistently beat their man. The Colts left their best and most versatile players on the field at all times. I expect the Broncos to do the same.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
Again, the question here I'd have is at RB. Willis and Hillman seem the most likely to split time, but will Knowshon play at all? I believe McGahee has only had one season where he ever caught more than 30 passes. Addai, Rhodes and Brown were all fairly competent receivers (well, Brown is supposed to be, guess he's never shown it). Hillman is supposed to have good hands, and Knowshon has shown a few flashes out of the backfield. I just wonder if they'd go to those two more often since they're better pass catchers, and use Willis more early in games, or late when we're protecting leads.

I'm definitely pumped to see our offense in action though!
McGahee had 43 receptions in his 1st year in Baltimore (the only year he started). He can easily do it again with Manning. I don't think Moreno has the speed or elusive ability to consistently gain rushing yardage in a single-back set.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #39
mwill07
Ring of Famer
 
mwill07's Avatar
 
Lurker Extraordinaire

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,811

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post

Again, the question here I'd have is at RB. Willis and Hillman seem the most likely to split time, but will Knowshon play at all? I believe McGahee has only had one season where he ever caught more than 30 passes. Addai, Rhodes and Brown were all fairly competent receivers (well, Brown is supposed to be, guess he's never shown it). Hillman is supposed to have good hands, and Knowshon has shown a few flashes out of the backfield. I just wonder if they'd go to those two more often since they're better pass catchers, and use Willis more early in games, or late when we're protecting leads.

I'm definitely pumped to see our offense in action though!
RB's role in the receiving game isn't about their ability to catch the ball or what they do with it afterwards; it's all about their ability to pass-block. If you can't block, you won't see the field.

AFAIK, Moreno is a decent blocker. We don't know about Hillman, but rookie RB's are rarely counted on to block. I don't know how I'd feel about putting the health of Peyton Manning in the hands of a 5'9", 200 lb rookie.

IMO Moreno and McGahee are the alternating backs, splitting series. Moreno gets more looks in passing - series (i.e. behind in 2nd half), and McGahee gets more looks in running series (i.e. ahead in 2nd half). Hillman comes in on odd occasions to get some experience, but won't necesarily play a big role.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #40
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

As far as who is going to be the 4th receiving option (TE or WR), I think it boils down to who they like more on the field for the majority of snaps (Dreesen or one of our receivers not named Thomas or Decker). Right now I would expect Dreesen to be that guy.

I also don't see McGahee being a huge factor in the passing game. I think he's going to get relegated back to short yardage situations like he was in Baltimore. Both for the sake of reducing the wear and tear at his age and the fact that he's never been much of a receiving back.

Of course this is all before injuries start being a factor...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #41
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,641
Default

Peyton Manning, Broncos coach Mike McCoy a perfect match

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-perfect-match
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #42
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,349
Default

IAOFM's: Fat Camp - Undervalued Roles, the Move TE

This piece goes more into the value of the Move TE (for us Jacob Tamme) in a 1 RB, 2 WR, 2 TE set.

We have been discussing this set often in the Broncos No-Huddle. Yesterday, in the Ronnie Hillman thread, we discussed why the Slot TE is so difficult to cover. He can block a DB in the run game, and beat an LB everytime in the pass game. Depending on what the Defense is in, you can take advantage of the mismatch that the Slot TE creates. IAOFM published this article today.

pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #43
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,349
Default

John Elway - (DenverBroncos.com):"I think you’re still going to see good balance. I think the misconception is that Peyton throws the ball all the time but when they were winning and doing well, they were top 12 in the league in rushing."

Elway's answer's are telling, regarding what Denver's Offense will look like this year. We have been looking for something concrete, and I believe we have found it.

A. He mentions using '21' personnel in short yardage, and goal line situations - That is pretty smart if you ask me. Very limited, but can come in handy in special situations, while running the No-Huddle most of the time...precisely what I've been promoting.

B. The Colts were never 'top 12' in yards 'when they were successful'. The Colts only Superbowl win (2006), they were 18th in rushing attempts and 18th in rushing yards - What were the totals? 557 attempts and 439 rushing attempts.

B. In fact, you have to go all the way back to 2001, when the Colts ranked 17th in attempts and 7th in yards to find when the Colts ranked within the 'top 12' rushing.

Indianapolis Colts 2001:
1. Manning had 26 TD's, 23 INT's, 4131 yards, 62.7 comp. %
2. The Colts had 557 passing attempts, and 438 rushing attempts (remarkably, same as in 2006).
3. The Colts ran out of the 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB set.
4. 2001 was Reggie Wayne's rookie year, and only started half the year.
5. Receptions are as follows:
Marvin Harrison (WR) - 109
Wayne/Wilkins/Pathon (WR) - 85
Marcus Pollard (TE) - 47
Ken Dilger (TE) - 32
Dominic Rhodes (RB) - 34
Edge James (RB) - 24
Total of top 6 - 331 receptions

To get 12th in rushing in 2011, the Jaguars had 1,970 yards. If the Broncos run the ball 438 times, they would have to average 4.5 yards per rushing attempt to get 1,970 rushing yards in 2012. A healthy average, which would place them ~7th overall in rushing. Sounds like a good goal to me.

What's more, if you take Manning's total passing attempts (557), and assume he will complete 65% of his passes, you end up with 362 completions (right in line with my previous goals)

Last edited by pricejj; 06-18-2012 at 03:00 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #44
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,349
Default

Code:
2012 Season pace (after 8 games):
Broncos
 
		rec.	
1  Thomas(WR)	90	
2  Decker(WR)	92	
3  Stokley(WR)	48
4  Tamme(TE)	58	
5  Dreessen(TE)	42	
6  Hillman(RB)	12	
7  McGahee(RB)	42	 
Manning	4,808 yards, 40 TD's                    
McGahee	292 rushing attempts, 1,240 yards                
Hillman	64 rushing attempts, 280 yards
1. Manning is performing better than expected (69.5% comp. rate is phenomenal).
2. Stokley has emerged from the trash heap, to be an important component of this Offense in '11' personnel, adding a new dimension that we did not think we would have coming into the year.
3. Hillman's relatively slow emergence has finally begun to take shape over the last two games. The good thing is, both Hillman (4.4 ypc) and McGahee (4.2 ypc) are averaging >4.0 ypc, which was one of my keys to success.
4. Both Thomas and Decker have proven that they are bonafide #1 and #2 NFL WR's, removing all doubts about their ability.
5. Tamme and Dreessen have lived up to their billing, and performed as expected.
6. McGahee is on pace for 1,200 yards, which was his goal coming into the year.

Last edited by pricejj; 11-05-2012 at 01:56 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #45
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
John Elway - (DenverBroncos.com):"I think you’re still going to see good balance. I think the misconception is that Peyton throws the ball all the time but when they were winning and doing well, they were top 12 in the league in rushing."

As to Elway's pre-season quote...

The Broncos are currently 75 yards from being 'top 12' in the NFL. Now that Knowshon and Lance Ball are squarely in the rear-view mirror, let's see what Hillman has in store for the second half of the 2012 season. From what we have seen the last two games, Hillman looks up to the task.

Both Elway and Manning know the importance of a consistent running game. Superbowl winners are able to run the ball when necessary.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #46
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Code:
2012 Season (estimate):
Broncos
 
		rec.	speed	height
1  Thomas(WR)	80	4.45	6'3"
2  Decker(WR)	80	4.54	6'3"
3  Tamme(TE)	80	4.58	6'3"
4  Dreessen(TE)	30	4.72	6'4"
5  Hillman(RB)	40	4.45	5'9"
6  McGahee(RB)	40	4.45	6'0"
 
Manning	4,400 yards, 31 TD's                    
McGahee	225 rushing attempts, 1,125 yards                
Hillman	150 rushing attempts, 750 yards
Code:
2012 Season (actual):
Broncos
 
		rec.
1  Thomas(WR)	87
2  Decker(WR)	78
3  Tamme(TE)	51
4  Dreessen(TE)	42
5 Stokley(WR)	39	
6  McGahee(RB)	26	
7 Moreno(RB)	20
5  Hillman(RB)	10

Manning	4,355 yards, 34 TD's                    
McGahee	167 rushing attempts, 731 yards
Moreno 124 rushing attempts, 484 yards                
Hillman	81 rushing attempts, 314 yards
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #47
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,555

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

The OP's estimate of 5 yards per carry for both RB's was real generous.... and not very close.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #48
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Great write up price.
I think Hilman will thrive in this offense.
I agree.

Get him in space and watch the defense go crazy.

ditto for Moreno.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Denver Broncos