The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Denver Now Has Hope At Defensive Tackle

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The burning question for the Denver Broncos this offseason, buried in the frenzy of Peyton Manning’s arrival and Tim Tebow’s departure, was the middle of the team's defensive line.

It was a mess, particularly after the underrated Brodrick Bunkley signed with the New Orleans Saints.

The Broncos, however, have quietly improved the defensive tackle position and it looks far from being an ugly situation. Now, I’m not saying Denver will have the best group of defensive tackles in the league. But after watching the unit at Tuesday’s minicamp, I don't think it is a lost cause either.

The team drafted Derek Wolfe (who can also play end) with the No. 36 pick and signed Justin Bannan. They agreed to a reduced contract with Ty Warren and are getting a healthy Kevin Vickerson back.

The Broncos are also giving former practice squader Sealver Siliga a chance at nose tackle. He is a wide body who is worth developing.

I see this as a group that will rotate often and be effective under John Fox and Jack Del Rio. Again, they may not be world beaters, but Denver’s situation at defensive tackle may not be as dire as previously considered.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...fensive-tackle

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 06-13-2012 at 05:41 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Quote:
Perhaps the Broncos are waiting until June 1 when Franklin’s status shifts from unrestricted free agent to “street” free agent and therefore would not be subject to the league’s compensatory draft pick formula.

why would we care?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
why would we care?
Lol... you beat me to it...

Why on earth do we care if the niners get a compensatory pick for losing franklin?...

How does that affect us?... what am i missing?...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcver2ver3 View Post

Why on earth do we care if the niners get a compensatory pick for losing franklin?...

We dont and Franklin isnt worth it anyway. Bannan can absolutely play a 43 NT along with Warren. And hell, ftr, Marcus Thomas refers to himself as a "natural 43 NT".
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Bmore Manning

I am genuinely concerned with the lack of talent and depth on Denver's interrior defensive line. They didn't sign an UDFA or draft a NT. Yet a team like the Ravens took Jean-Baptiste and Tyson from Georgia to play NT/DT, while they have the monster Terrance Cody. You can never have enough talent and depth in the trenches.

Now, Franklin signed a one year deal with Saints last year, why would San Fran get a draft pick in compensatory? Shouldn't if anyone it be the Saints? Yet he signed a one year deal, so Denver shouldn't worry about losing a potential late round compensatory pick if they feel he can contribute and help this D. So if he's still a UFA, can Denver still get Sammie Hill?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
We dont and Franklin isnt worth it anyway. Bannan can absolutely play a 43 NT along with Warren. And hell, ftr, Marcus Thomas refers to himself as a "natural 43 NT".
Franklin was a huge failure at 43 NT with the Saints - signing people because they are fat is the worst idea in the world. Jay Ratliff is a pro-bowl 34 NT at 300 lbs, it is about skillset and talent, not waistsize.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I am genuinely concerned with the lack of talent and depth on Denver's interrior defensive line. They didn't sign an UDFA or draft a NT. Yet a team like the Ravens took Jean-Baptiste and Tyson from Georgia to play NT/DT, while they have the monster Terrance Cody. You can never have enough talent and depth in the trenches.

Now, Franklin signed a one year deal with Saints last year, why would San Fran get a draft pick in compensatory? Shouldn't if anyone it be the Saints? Yet he signed a one year deal, so Denver shouldn't worry about losing a potential late round compensatory pick if they feel he can contribute and help this D. So if he's still a UFA, can Denver still get Sammie Hill?
Plus they signed our reject Mcbean. I'm concerned they didn't really address the DT position when there were several options/upgrades out there and plenty of money to spend. Just doesn't make sense.

Odd situation for the Front Office.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

Cody can't play more than 30-40% of the snaps during a game, with their 2 gap system they absolutely need a space eater in there. We put a lot less pressure on our NTs and have more atheltic guys who can play more downs.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Yeah Franklin and Shaun Rogers were epic fails in New Orleans. It's pointless to get Franklin right now.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcver2ver3 View Post

We currently will receive either 2 or 3 comp picks for next year. If we sign someone prior to June 1, that will be one less comp pick.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
We currently will receive either 2 or 3 comp picks for next year. If we sign someone prior to June 1, that will be one less comp pick.
Putting a lot of faith in Royal producing?

We lost Bunkley and Royal and signed Porter, Tammie and Dreesen - we should get 1 unless something weird happens, 2 is probably a best cast scenario unless we end in last place in which case we may very well get a consolation pick in the 7th round.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Plus they signed our reject Mcbean. I'm concerned they didn't really address the DT position when there were several options/upgrades out there and plenty of money to spend. Just doesn't make sense.

Odd situation for the Front Office.
Yeah exactly. Why the Panic now, when Thompson, Ta Amu, Chapman, we're all out there, and Jean-Baptiste and other NTs available through UDFA.
Warren and Bannan are getting older, need a younger NT at some point.

Id give Anthony Adams a call after June 1st, or look to do a trade with a team possessing a quality NT, who is maybe a back-up like a Sammie Hill.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Putting a lot of faith in Royal producing?

We lost Bunkley and Royal and signed Porter, Tammie and Dreesen - we should get 1 unless something weird happens, 2 is probably a best cast scenario unless we end in last place in which case we may very well get a consolation pick in the 7th round.
Added: (6)
SS Mike Adams (Cleveland); CB Tracy Porter (New Orleans); TE Joel Dreesen (Houston); TE Jacob Tamme (Indianapolis); WR Andre Caldwell (Cincinnati); QB Caleb Hanie (Chicago)

Lost: (8)
WR Eddie Royal (San Diego); QB Brady Quinn (KC); TE Daniel Fells (New England); TE Dante Rosario (San Diego); DT Brodrick Bunkley (New Orleans); FB Spencer Larsen (New England); DE Derrick Harvey (Cincinnati); CB Jonathan Wilhite (Chicago)

I'm not sure how McBean counts since we pulled the offer and then Ravens signed him. I think Bunkley would be the one who could get us a 5th. Just a guess of course, but right now I'd think maybe a 5th and 7th for comp picks next year.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Yeah Franklin and Shaun Rogers were epic fails in New Orleans. It's pointless to get Franklin right now.
I don't necessarily disagree. And yet the Giants, with one of the best personnel dept's in the league, went out and signed Shaun Rogers. So they apparently don't agree with this line of thinking.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
SS Mike Adams (Cleveland); CB Tracy Porter (New Orleans); TE Joel Dreesen (Houston); TE Jacob Tamme (Indianapolis); WR Andre Caldwell (Cincinnati); QB Caleb Hanie (Chicago)

WR Eddie Royal (San Diego); QB Brady Quinn (KC); TE Daniel Fells (New England); TE Dante Rosario (San Diego); DT Brodrick Bunkley (New Orleans); FB Spencer Larsen (New England); DE Derrick Harvey (Cincinnati); CB Jonathan Wilhite (Chicago)

I'm not sure how McBean counts since we pulled the offer and then Ravens signed him. I think Bunkley would be the one who could get us a 5th. Just a guess of course, but right now I'd think maybe a 5th and 7th for comp picks next year.
I think you guys are missing an addition. Not sure who, but I remember reading about it in March.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I don't necessarily disagree. And yet the Giants, with one of the best personnel dept's in the league, went out and signed Shaun Rogers. So they apparently don't agree with this line of thinking.
Thank you!

And I got beat up on here for wanting Rogers as a rotational NT (His true position) over Bannan the 3/5 Tech Tweener. The Giants may know a thing or two about quality DLine personnel.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
I think you guys are missing an addition. Not sure who, but I remember reading about it in March.
Manning wasn't an UFA. He was cut from his contract, so while a free agent, he won't affect the compensatory pick process.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Manning wasn't an UFA. He was cut from his contract, so while a free agent, he won't affect the compensatory pick process.
This is correct. The same with Justin Bannan.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

I wasn't too impressed with Justin Bannan when he was a Bronco. As a DE, he really lacked fluidity and didn't have the best jump in the world. He's more fit for a 4-3 nose tackle, though, so I guess we'll see.

The Broncos do have a bevy of 3-techs and honestly I don't see a legit nose tackle on the team. Warren and Bannan will play NT. I hope Warren can be more of his all-pro form than not... would have loved to have brought in Paul Soliai.
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
R-Mac

Justin Bannan started for the 31st run defense last year and had to accept a 1-year, $1 million contract this offseason. Maybe he is done. It's a shame the Broncos made a trade for Brodrick Bunkley without agreeing to a long-term deal first. I don't expect the Broncos to stop the run, but I hope Peyton Manning scores more points than the other team.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
I wasn't too impressed with Justin Bannan when he was a Bronco. As a DE, he really lacked fluidity and didn't have the best jump in the world. He's more fit for a 4-3 nose tackle, though, so I guess we'll see.

The Broncos do have a bevy of 3-techs and honestly I don't see a legit nose tackle on the team. Warren and Bannan will play NT. I hope Warren can be more of his all-pro form than not... would have loved to have brought in Paul Soliai.
Yes! When I heard Denver wanted Soliai, I got really excited that they might land a real NT. I see Bannan as a 3Tech on run downs not a true NT. Warren if healthy is a solid 1 Tech, but there needs to be more.
A run down DT duo of Warren Bannan, pass down duo of Wolfe and Ayers/Jackson with the other at DE, that's good rotation.. But who starts at NT to help open things up for Wolfe? I wouldn't bank on Warren, he's not completely the same player. I say trade for Sammie Hill or give Anthony Adams a call.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Garland

(This message was typed without the aid of Mrs. TOG's nipples.)
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

Contract sizes:

Jonathan Wilhite: 1 year, 700k
Bunkley: 5 years, 25 million (10 guaranteed)
Royal: 3 years, 13 million (6 guaranteed)
Rosario: 1 year, 700k
Larsen: 2 years, 1.7 million
Quinn: 1 year, 1.5 million
Fells: 3 years, 5.25 million (3 guaranteed)
Harvey: 1 year, 765k

Only 3 of these contracts are enough to net a comp pick by themselves: Bunkley, Royal and Fells assuming all 3 get playing time.

Players in:

Porter: 1 year, 4 million
Tamme: 3 years, 9 million (3 guaranteed)
Dreesen: 3 years, 8.5 million (2.5 guaranteed)
Adams: 2 years, 4 million (2 guaranteed)
Caldwell: 2 years, 1.8 million
Hanie: 2 years, 2.25 million

4 of those deals are big enough to net an individual comp pick: Porter, Dreesen, Tamme and Adams.

It is a given we will get a pick for Bunkley, depending how they offset it, it could be as high as a 4th rounder (that is what Green Bay got for losing Cullen Jenkins (who got a slightly bigger deal than Bunkley and was very productive)). Royal on his own could net a 6th rounder. Of the free agents we lost it is not a given that Wilhite, Rosario and Harvey will actually make the rosters of their respective teams.

We will get offsets for signing our free agents all of whom will make the roster. My prediction right now is that we get 2 picks, it will be 4th or 5th rounder for Bunkley and a 7th for general offset.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Why is Fox/Del Rio so enamoured with Warren?
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Why is Fox/Del Rio so enamoured with Warren?
Are they really? What, Warren of three years ago?