The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #1501
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
ooooh. Nebraska fans are starting to think about who would be a potential Rose Bowl matchup if (big big if) we beat Wisconsin in the B1G title game. Would have been a general BCS slot if the Pac-12 winner was in the National Title game, but now likely will be a Big 10 - Pac 12 matchup. Crazy thing is, would they be able to avoid a Husker-Bruins game, considering we already played this year and play again next year?

This is exactly what happened two years ago with Nebraska playing Washington in the Holiday bowl, despite being in the middle of a home and home, leading to that same matchup 3 times in less than 12 months.
I don't think you have to worry about losing to Wisconsin.

They're not a very good team this season, and would be battling for 2nd or 3rd in their division in any normal year.

The next two years could determine if the Big Ten is finally going to make it a respectable conference once again. With Ohio State and Penn State in one division and Michigan and Nebraska in the other, it could make for some entertaining matchups in the B1G Championship. Add in that Wisconsin is usually a pretty good team and will contend if this year's not a fluke...and depending on how many juniors leave Michigan State after this season, you're looking at half the conference competing for the championship any given year.

Things are definitely looking up for the Big Ten any way you slice it. Though, when you're at the bottom, you've only got one direction to go.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #1502
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #1503
extralife
Ring of Famer

I think the winner of the SEC should get a spot in the title game. Every year, I mean. It should be automatic.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #1504
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Oregon might not make it to the pac12 'ship. Stanford holds the tiebreaker.
Just looked closer, Stanford plays UCLA next week...for the right to play UCLA again the next week. Oregon still has a shot considering how good UCLA has looked at times. Crazy we could see back to back matchup like that.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #1505
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I think the winner of the SEC should get a spot in the title game. Every year, I mean. It should be automatic.
Maybe. But their runner up teams probably don't deserve to leap frog other conference champs every year for title game rematches. I mean, the SEC clearly is the class of the conferences, but keep in mind it isn't THAT wide of a margin this year. Alabama lost at home to a team that was an also-ran in the Big 12 last year. Hell, A&M has had little trouble holding their own in any SEC games, despite talk of the talent being too much for a Big 12 school. I think every major conference has 1 or 2 teams this year that could hang with Alabama.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #1506
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

The SEC is obviously the best conference in college football….not they are way overrated.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #1507
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

As an UCLA alum, it was awesome to see them beat USC! Right on the sidelines. Jim Mora has turned the program around, and this win defined their season. Now it's just seeing how far they can take this. Next year, the expectation level will be much higher than this year, and I like it! Sucks that they finally got things going during Franklin's final year. But they are bringing back some good players, especially Hundley at QB. That kid is nice, and he'll have them competing for conference titles, and maybe a national title.

Photo by Jason in LA
Attached Images

Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #1508
Jetland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
The SEC is obviously the best conference in college football….not they are way overrated.
baaaaaad year to not be allowed in a bowl game eh?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 PM   #1509
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

SoCal's Updated Top 10

1. Ohio State- If only they took their medicine last year and gave up a Gator Bowl berth... This is a very good team that has dominated conference play outside of the Purdue game. I expect Braxton Miller to be the leading Heisman candidate next year for what should be a great Ohio State club.
2. Alabama- The No. 1 team for much of the year looks like it will return to the BCS title game to defend its crown, if they can beat Georgia in the SECCG. It bothers me that stud freshman WR Amari Cooper is tearing up the SEC and was almost a Hurricane. Dammit.
3. Oregon- I was shocked to see them lose in Eugene to Stanford, but that front seven gave them fits not only with their strength, but also their recovery speed on option plays. The Ducks will likely still land in the BCS Title game if they win out and ND loses to USC.
4. Notre Dame- Yes, they are technically undefeated and no, that doesn't tell the whole story. You have to play well to be ranked high...at least in the SoCal rankings. ND has played at a very mediocre level for much of the year, yet they now have a real chance to join 1998 Tennessee and 2002 Ohio State in the discussion of the least impressive national champions in recent memory. They still have to get past USC and likely the SEC champ, first. I have serious doubts if they can do both (they should handle USC with ease if Barkley is out, but the game could go either way if he plays and is healthy).
5. Florida State- From the standpoint of pure talent, this is arguably the most gifted squad in the entire country. They are loaded with future NFL studs. The Noles have gotten little respect from the computers this year because of a weak ACC field and a poor OOC schedule. It doesn't help that they have a mediocre coaching staff, either that allows them to lose at least 1 game a year (usually 3) that they have no business losing. FSU will beat an offensively impotent Gator club, crush the Coastal Division champion and rout the Big East champion in the Orange Bowl.
6. Georgia- Was not impressive against FCS foe Georgia Southern. The Dawgs have a simple path to the BCS Title game: Beat Bama and GT and they are likely in.
7. Kansas State- The Fighting Bill Snyders were blown out at Baylor, which is shocking considering how well they have played this year. The Cats are nonetheless a near lock for the Fiesta Bowl. SSJ's "Baby Batter" curse appears to have worked well on Collin Klein, whose Heisman hopes are probably dashed.
8. Texas A&M- Manziel's parents are already trying to trademark "Johnny Football". The Aggies have a weak slate remaining, but they should land in a very good bowl, probably the Cotton and with Barner and Klein struggling, "Johnny Football" could win the Heisman.
9. Clemson- A terrific club that has dominated ACC play and would have advanced to the ACCCG if their game against Florida State were in Death Valley rather than Tallahassee. Defense is a concern, but offense is top notch with great weapons. Barnburner win over Glennon and NC State.
10. Stanford- They're the west coast version of Wisconsin (or what Wisconsin was before this year). Strong, tough, physical, a b**** to play against and clutch. Their front seven corralled Oregon's running game and made Mariota uncomfortable all night. David Shaw is a very good coach and they play "the right way".

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 11-17-2012 at 10:52 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #1510
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Going to disagree with you putting Oregon over Notre Dame. I'm no Irish fan, but they actually beat Stanford and won in Oklahoma. Oregon has put up prettier numbers, but they don't have any wins close to as impressive as those two (having lost to that Stanford team in Eugene yesterday).

And I initially shared your assumption that Oregon could make the title game if ND loses to SC, but if Stanford beats UCLA, that knocks Oregon out of their conference title game, not even winning their own division. Unless you're in the SEC, I think voters will require that you win your division to make the title game.

If Notre Dame loses to USC, and Stanford beats UCLA, I think #2 ends up going to the winner of the Florida - Florida St game. Both are at 1 loss. 1 loss ACC winner Florida St would be a sane choice, as would a 1 loss Florida team playing the Winner of the Georgia/Alabama game.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #1511
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
SoCal's Updated Top 10

7. Kansas State- The Fighting Bill Snyders were blown out at Baylor, which is shocking considering how well they have played this year. The Cats are nonetheless a near lock for the Fiesta Bowl. SSJ's "Baby Batter" curse appears to have worked well on Collin Klein, whose Heisman hopes are probably dashed.
Just wanted to point out that if KState loses to Texas, and OU beats Oklahoma State and TCU, OU wins the Big 12.

Not exactly easy for OU to do, but still probable.

I do think some of these SEC teams get too much love in the rankings, case in point Florida.
If Florida State didn't lost that stinker to North Carolina St, they'd be #2 right now.
I don't see how they are as low as they are with only having 1 loss.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #1512
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I couldn't watch the games yesterday, so I get up this morning and see smoking wreckage all over the BCS. Oregon? KState?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #1513
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Just wanted to point out that if KState loses to Texas, and OU beats Oklahoma State and TCU, OU wins the Big 12.

Not exactly easy for OU to do, but still probable.
Yep. We could, theoretically, lose everything...national title, Big XII title...

Snyder better get his kids ready, for Texas. Fortunately, it's at home, and it's Senior Day. Hopefully, Klein and Arthur Brown go out a winner...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #1514
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Its the morning after, and it feels so good.

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #1515
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Yesterday was one of the better days of college football in some time. A lot of great games.

As for the standings and people complaining about the SEC, I just say this: They have to play a conference championship game. I think every conference should have to do that before being allowed to be considered for the BCS title game, personally. It means they are always guaranteed at least one tough game on their conference, and a lot of times the two teams that meet could both be on contention for one of the top four bowl games. Just my opinion...
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #1516
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Going to disagree with you putting Oregon over Notre Dame. I'm no Irish fan, but they actually beat Stanford and won in Oklahoma. Oregon has put up prettier numbers, but they don't have any wins close to as impressive as those two (having lost to that Stanford team in Eugene yesterday).

And I initially shared your assumption that Oregon could make the title game if ND loses to SC, but if Stanford beats UCLA, that knocks Oregon out of their conference title game, not even winning their own division. Unless you're in the SEC, I think voters will require that you win your division to make the title game.

If Notre Dame loses to USC, and Stanford beats UCLA, I think #2 ends up going to the winner of the Florida - Florida St game. Both are at 1 loss. 1 loss ACC winner Florida St would be a sane choice, as would a 1 loss Florida team playing the Winner of the Georgia/Alabama game.
And they almost lost at home to BYU and Pittsburgh. I think in College you need to destroy teams that aren't in your class - especially at home. I think that is why SoCal has Oregon ahead of them. That same Stanford team almost beat the Fighting Irish, don't forget.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #1517
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

North Dakota State won the MVC in D-I AA football yesterday. They will be the #1 ranked team in the playoffs and will another championship.

Oh, and when they travel to Kansas State next year -- they are going to win.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #1518
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:

FSU and Al Qaeda are more or less interchangeable in my mind, but I do think they are certainly worthy to be in the discussion for the national title game. They've got a TON of talent. The ACC was weak this year and that hurt them alot in SOS. I really DO NOT want to see them in the title game because it would kill us recruiting wise, but on the merits, they can make a good case.

I am absolutely convinced they will throttle Florida. Florida is punchless on offense. They have played two awful games in a row. Even if Driskel comes back, I see FSU winning something along the lines of 24-6. They will be hurt by the fact that in the ACCCG they will beat Georgia Tech, which is not a good team.

Actually, this whole discussion depends really on whether Matt Barkley plays or not. If he plays and USC wins, it will create chaos in choosing the other team to be in the title game. If he doesn't play, it a moot point. Its ND vs. SEC Champion. Period.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 11-18-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #1519
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I guarantee you USC won't be ready for Notre Dame. That's the signature of a Lane Kiffin team. They'll look totally unprepared emotionally and play as if they haven't even watched any film. Then, in the ensuing confusion, they'll start making stupid mistakes, miss tackles and commit dumb penalties. That's how USC is going to look, at least until the wake up and fire Kiffin and his washed up daddy. The Pete Carroll days are definitely over.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #1520
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I guarantee you USC won't be ready for Notre Dame. That's the signature of a Lane Kiffin team. They'll look totally unprepared emotionally and play as if they haven't even watched any film. Then, in the ensuing confusion, they'll start making stupid mistakes, miss tackles and commit dumb penalties. That's how USC is going to look, at least until the wake up and fire Kiffin and his washed up daddy. The Pete Carroll days are definitely over.
I think if Barkley is healthy and plays, they will beat ND. USC needs about 25 points to beat ND and I think they could get that with a couple big plays from Lee and Woods.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #1521
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Roh, Lamey is back for another season.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #1522
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
You might have a point if they hadn't won the last six national titles.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #1523
Agamemnon

Quote:
I think if Barkley is healthy and plays, they will beat ND. USC needs about 25 points to beat ND and I think they could get that with a couple big plays from Lee and Woods.
You are crazy. Notre Dame is clearly the better team at this point. Nothing is ever guaranteed, but there's no reason to think USC should be favored unless you have some form of brain damage.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #1524
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
You are crazy. Notre Dame is clearly the better team at this point. Nothing is ever guaranteed, but there's no reason to think USC should be favored unless you have some form of brain damage.
Realize that I HATE USC, but Notre Dame is a very weak offense. They've had serious trouble scoring points all year (with the exception of the time they played hte worst defense in the entire country). Even at BC they scored just 21. They are a very poor offense. USC's defense is shaky, but I think if USC can score 25, that is enough to win. I don't think its unreasonable to think USC could get 25 points, considering they'll get a few big plays from Lee at the least.

If Barkley is healthy, they have a 50/50 chance of winning.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #1525
Agamemnon

Quote:
Realize that I HATE USC, but Notre Dame is a very weak offense. They've had serious trouble scoring points all year (with the exception of the time they played hte worst defense in the entire country). Even at BC they scored just 21. They are a very poor offense. USC's defense is shaky, but I think if USC can score 25, that is enough to win. I don't think its unreasonable to think USC could get 25 points, considering they'll get a few big plays from Lee at the least.

If Barkley is healthy, they have a 50/50 chance of winning.
You seem to be forgetting that USC sucks this year.

Oh and Notre Dame beat the Stanford team that USC lost to for what it's worth.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 11-18-2012 at 12:19 PM..