The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,748

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Hillman should help spare aging McGahee

Hillman should help spare aging McGahee




The Sports Xchange Friday May 04, 2012 - 2:49 AM



--The Broncos drafted San Diego State running back Ronnie Hillman to ease the burden on 30-year-old Willis McGahee, who wore down with nagging knee and hamstring injuries late last season.

"It didn't get right until the season was over with when I actually got some rest because I didn't get the rest that I needed," McGahee admitted on May 2.

But he figures that the presence of Peyton Manning and the change in offensive focus will do more to make his life easier.

"I look at it as just putting more years on my ability in the NFL," McGahee said. "I don't have to take all that pounding anymore, because with Peyton out there, just being him, he's going to take a lot of pressure off the run game.

Even with Hillman in the mix, McGahee still projects as the first-teamer. The 5-foot-9, 200-pound Hillman is more of a scatback, and while he can likely take a few carries off Mcgahee's plate, the between-the-tackles load seems likely to fall on the 10-year veteran's shoulders.

-- The Broncos began their third week of offseason conditioning sessions after the draft. This placed them in "Phase 2" of the offseason schedule, when coaches can be on the field with players, although the offense and defense must work separately.

The coaches' presence kicked up the urgency of the voluntuary sessions.

"It's no time to be playing around when they're not out there, but when they are out there, they're really watching and critiquing to see how you're doing and going about handling things," McGahee said. "That puts a little more pressure on the players."

Added wide receiver Brandon Stokley: "It almost felt like a practice."

-- McGahee's best game last year came in Week 8 at Oakland, when the Broncos made heavy use of the zone-read option after Tim Tebow was sacked seven times by the Detroit Lions a week earlier.

In that 38-24 win over Oakland, 125 of McGahee's 163 yards came on variations of the option, including his 60-yard touchdown run at the end of the third quarter.

"I'd never worked with the read option in my life," McGahee recalled.

"It's like running on blind faith, you know what I mean? Either you're going to get the big run or you're going to get hit. I'm not a fan of getting hit, but it was my job description and that's what I had to do."

-- Before beginning the second phase of offseason workouts this week, Manning and wide receiver Eric Decker attended the Colorado Rockies' game against the New York Mets on April 29, watching as Manning's former college teammate, Rockies first baseman Todd Helton, hit a game-tying grand slam.

This wasn't the first time Manning and Decker hung out away from team headquarters since Manning signed his contract in March.

"It's big in building that trust not only on the field but off the field and to know that, 'OK, I can trust this guy. We're good friends; he's going to do everything he can for me on the field,'" Decker said.

Teammates have noticed their friendship.

"I can see the bond they're getting because they're always laughing, joking around and I get kind of jealous sometimes in the weight room," McGahee said with a chuckle. "But they're a (quarterback) and receiver, so they have to mesh a little bit more than the backs do."




QUOTE TO NOTE

"It's different, because we didn't really have that last year where the quarterback was demanding of us, telling us where he wanted us and just taking charge. It's a different aspect." -- Running back Willis McGahee, on what has changed with Peyton Manning now leading the Broncos.




http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...-aging-mcgahee
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,829
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Hillman should help spare aging McGahee




The Sports Xchange Friday May 04, 2012 - 2:49 AM



--The Broncos drafted San Diego State running back Ronnie Hillman to ease the burden on 30-year-old Willis McGahee, who wore down with nagging knee and hamstring injuries late last season.

"It didn't get right until the season was over with when I actually got some rest because I didn't get the rest that I needed," McGahee admitted on May 2.

But he figures that the presence of Peyton Manning and the change in offensive focus will do more to make his life easier.

"I look at it as just putting more years on my ability in the NFL," McGahee said. "I don't have to take all that pounding anymore, because with Peyton out there, just being him, he's going to take a lot of pressure off the run game.

Even with Hillman in the mix, McGahee still projects as the first-teamer. The 5-foot-9, 200-pound Hillman is more of a scatback, and while he can likely take a few carries off Mcgahee's plate, the between-the-tackles load seems likely to fall on the 10-year veteran's shoulders.

-- The Broncos began their third week of offseason conditioning sessions after the draft. This placed them in "Phase 2" of the offseason schedule, when coaches can be on the field with players, although the offense and defense must work separately.

The coaches' presence kicked up the urgency of the voluntuary sessions.

"It's no time to be playing around when they're not out there, but when they are out there, they're really watching and critiquing to see how you're doing and going about handling things," McGahee said. "That puts a little more pressure on the players."

Added wide receiver Brandon Stokley: "It almost felt like a practice."

-- McGahee's best game last year came in Week 8 at Oakland, when the Broncos made heavy use of the zone-read option after Tim Tebow was sacked seven times by the Detroit Lions a week earlier.

In that 38-24 win over Oakland, 125 of McGahee's 163 yards came on variations of the option, including his 60-yard touchdown run at the end of the third quarter.

"I'd never worked with the read option in my life," McGahee recalled.

"It's like running on blind faith, you know what I mean? Either you're going to get the big run or you're going to get hit. I'm not a fan of getting hit, but it was my job description and that's what I had to do."

-- Before beginning the second phase of offseason workouts this week, Manning and wide receiver Eric Decker attended the Colorado Rockies' game against the New York Mets on April 29, watching as Manning's former college teammate, Rockies first baseman Todd Helton, hit a game-tying grand slam.

This wasn't the first time Manning and Decker hung out away from team headquarters since Manning signed his contract in March.

"It's big in building that trust not only on the field but off the field and to know that, 'OK, I can trust this guy. We're good friends; he's going to do everything he can for me on the field,'" Decker said.

Teammates have noticed their friendship.

"I can see the bond they're getting because they're always laughing, joking around and I get kind of jealous sometimes in the weight room," McGahee said with a chuckle. "But they're a (quarterback) and receiver, so they have to mesh a little bit more than the backs do."




QUOTE TO NOTE

"It's different, because we didn't really have that last year where the quarterback was demanding of us, telling us where he wanted us and just taking charge. It's a different aspect." -- Running back Willis McGahee, on what has changed with Peyton Manning now leading the Broncos.




http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...-aging-mcgahee
"I'd never worked with the read option in my life," McGahee recalled.
"It's like running on blind faith, you know what I mean? Either you're going to get the big run or you're going to get hit. I'm not a fan of getting hit, but it was my job description and that's what I had to do."

What a great quote. Drives home he did his job but didn't like it.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,043

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

So McGahee, playing RB, wasn't happy of getting hit? Again, playing RB, not like getting hit? Then he should have a new position to play if surprised the RB spot calls for getting hit. Like, duh. McGahee is obviously no genius.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,227
Default

Honestly, if we are going to be running a lot of no-huddle, MacGahee really isn't a great fit for that. He's never been much of a receiver. I think MacGahee will be more the short-yardage/goaline guy that was intended when he was signed, and Moreno and Hillman will get more action since they are better in the passing game.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
g6matty
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
So McGahee, playing RB, wasn't happy of getting hit? Again, playing RB, not like getting hit? Then he should have a new position to play if surprised the RB spot calls for getting hit. Like, duh. McGahee is obviously no genius.
i think he would rather deliver the hits
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Honestly, if we are going to be running a lot of no-huddle, MacGahee really isn't a great fit for that. He's never been much of a receiver. I think MacGahee will be more the short-yardage/goaline guy that was intended when he was signed, and Moreno and Hillman will get more action since they are better in the passing game.
^ Yup, I just mentioned in another thread that Hillman could very well be the primary back.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
OrangeCrush2724
Bronco Pride!
 
OrangeCrush2724's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
So McGahee, playing RB, wasn't happy of getting hit? Again, playing RB, not like getting hit? Then he should have a new position to play if surprised the RB spot calls for getting hit. Like, duh. McGahee is obviously no genius.
A RB in a read option is more vulnerable then in traditional schemes. He always has to have his hands ready waiting for an ill advised decision from the QB, leaving himself to be an open target.
OrangeCrush2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
So McGahee, playing RB, wasn't happy of getting hit? Again, playing RB, not like getting hit? Then he should have a new position to play if surprised the RB spot calls for getting hit. Like, duh. McGahee is obviously no genius.
Is that What you got out of his quote? I guess that is what YOU would get out of it.

It sounded like to me that he knew it was in his job description but he didn't like getting hit as often as he did because of the rudimentary offense we had to run.... and we all know why we had to run that kind of offense.. it is also why we had to sign peyton manning

The coaches can make him eat his spinach but he doesn't have to like it. I think it says more that he's pointing out we actually have a real veteran leader quarterbacking our team.... and it's not a rah-rah type of guy. It is the kind of leader that demands perfection and holds people accountable.... not to mention we will be running a real nfl offense
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

McGahee's gonna miss his role in last year by the time this one is over, imo
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush2724 View Post
A RB in a read option is more vulnerable then in traditional schemes. He always has to have his hands ready waiting for an ill advised decision from the QB, leaving himself to be an open target.
Exactly... The option while it can lead to big plays... it also leavesplayers vulnerable and subject to big hits.... whether they have the ball or not. Running that offense probably took a year off of willis' nfl life....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #11
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
McGahee's gonna miss his role in last year by the time this one is over, imo
In my opinion I think he will embrace a reduction in carries for a possible superbowl titles..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
McGahee's gonna miss his role in last year by the time this one is over, imo
I was thinking the same thing. It had been a while since he was the primary option.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush2724 View Post
A RB in a read option is more vulnerable then in traditional schemes. He always has to have his hands ready waiting for an ill advised decision from the QB, leaving himself to be an open target.
They really weren't running the read option all that often. Especially after the first game or two.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,228

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It had been a while since he was the primary option.
I don't think he signed believing he was going to be the primary RB.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,043

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Is that What you got out of his quote? I guess that is what YOU would get out of it.

It sounded like to me that he knew it was in his job description but he didn't like getting hit as often as he did because of the rudimentary offense we had to run.... and we all know why we had to run that kind of offense.. it is also why we had to sign peyton manning

The coaches can make him eat his spinach but he doesn't have to like it. I think it says more that he's pointing out we actually have a real veteran leader quarterbacking our team.... and it's not a rah-rah type of guy. It is the kind of leader that demands perfection and holds people accountable.... not to mention we will be running a real nfl offense
Wow, another type response by you. Surprising. So let's find all those huge hits that McGahee took from option pitches. There must be so many. For someone so happy that Tebow left you still b**** as much as ever.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
McGahee's gonna miss his role in last year by the time this one is over, imo
That's exactly right. Manning is going to be the primary weapon. RBs won't get many touches...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
That's exactly right. Manning is going to be the primary weapon. RBs won't get many touches...
The guy who's on the field the most will be the best combination receiver/blocker on the roster. I don't think that's Willis.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Gene helping John figure out FA

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,676

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default

I know Tebow was a 2nd year guy sent in mid-season but I love this quote:\

"It's different, because we didn't really have that last year where the quarterback was demanding of us, telling us where he wanted us and just taking charge. It's a different aspect." -- Running back Willis McGahee, on what has changed with Peyton Manning now leading the Broncos.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I don't think he signed believing he was going to be the primary RB.
True but non the less he was the primary back in a run first offense last year. What ever he will be this year it will be less, Its not always easy going backwards.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I know Tebow was a 2nd year guy sent in mid-season but I love this quote:\

"It's different, because we didn't really have that last year where the quarterback was demanding of us, telling us where he wanted us and just taking charge. It's a different aspect." -- Running back Willis McGahee, on what has changed with Peyton Manning now leading the Broncos.
As soon as I read that I figured this thread would just spiral out of control.

If Tebow makes it to Manning's age in the NFL with some moderate success, I'm sure he'll be the one taking charge of the huddle as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,061

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
As soon as I read that I figured this thread would just spiral out of control.

If Tebow makes it to Manning's age in the NFL with some moderate success, I'm sure he'll be the one taking charge of the huddle as well.
Come on man, you have to give the middle class slackers who spend their time & $ on something to talk about!
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #22
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 9,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
That's exactly right. Manning is going to be the primary weapon. RBs won't get many touches...
They'll get plenty of touches from LBs while in pass protection.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #23
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
They'll get plenty of touches from LBs while in pass protection.
That article will be funny next year. Can really just reuse the same quote:

"I'm not a fan of getting hit, but it was my job description and that's what I had to do."
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
As soon as I read that I figured this thread would just spiral out of control.

If Tebow makes it to Manning's age in the NFL with some moderate success, I'm sure he'll be the one taking charge of the huddle as well.
See, now you sound like me. I knew you'd come through if I just kept quiet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
So McGahee, playing RB, wasn't happy of getting hit? Again, playing RB, not like getting hit? Then he should have a new position to play if surprised the RB spot calls for getting hit. Like, duh. McGahee is obviously no genius.
I think you can pretty easily suss out what McGahee really meant there.

What he was really saying was "I don't like getting hit if I'm not getting the stats".

Dude is a mercenary looking to prolong his career and maximize earnings. Numbers are needed to do that. He's already asked the team for a raise on a contract he signed just last season.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Denver Broncos