The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default NFL Network's crappy draft coverage

I watched the draft on NFL Network and wondered what other people thought of it. I thought they did a piss poor job of it, an opinion more reinforced by looking at it again since I recorded it. Not only did they skip tons of picks because they had up to 6 or 7 commercials at one shot, which is probably understandable, but they also added to the problem by the endless promos of their own work, skipping multiple picks at one time due to these stupid promos that were pimping their draft coverage...as if people already watching the draft needed to be beaten up with miles of video footage of New York City, babies with players, usally the same scenes repeated ad naseum ad infinitum, etc...basically they blew covering about half the picks in rounds 4-7 due to their need to promote what we were already trying to watch...idiotic.

On top of that, they started off with 5 analysts, and 3 would have been more than enough. By the time every one of these guys cycled through with non-related comments often times more picks went by without any information. What info they did provide usually sucked. For example, they called Ronnie Hillman a 3rd down change of pace back, but despite the kid's size at 200 pounds, he was a workhourse back at SDSU and they might have pointed out that nearly 3300 yards rushing and 36 TD's from the YOUNGEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT in only two seasons might bode well for him adding a few pounds and growing into an NFL ready every down guy. Some teams (Dallas for example) went nearly the entire draft with no video footage on any of their picks after the first round, others had endless commentary on stuff that probably nobody cared about. All in all I give them an F for ****up which is what it was. I didn't check ESPN's show so I don't know what it was like but it would be hard to get worse than this.

Thoughts?
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I thought they were worse than before. I have watched the draft on the NFLN for the past couple years. I found myself watching much more ESPN this year. Only the first two days though. ESPN was always multiple picks behind NFLN on the last day.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer

Still better than ESPN.

Though yes, I think the pace of this draft left them shell shocked and scrambling to keep up with selections.

As for their comments on Hillman, well, they aren't exactly going to felate a 3rd round pick. But yes, he has more than change of pace back potential here. Manning has never played with gigantic backs. Its more important for the guy to be good in pass pro, run good routes, and catch the football. Hillman is questionable in pass pro but looks good at the other two. He's pretty comparable size to LeSean McCoy and no one questions his ability to be an every down back.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
I thought they were worse than before. I have watched the draft on the NFLN for the past couple years. I found myself watching much more ESPN this year. Only the first two days though. ESPN was always multiple picks behind NFLN on the last day.
I thought NFLN was overrated anyway. Kiper doesn't bother me as much as some people, and they have better "scoop" guys like Schefter. They conduct better interviews, too. I usually watch ESPN coverage and record NFLN.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Totally agree.

1) Far too many promos -- it seemed like half of their on-air time was pimping some other show.

2) Far too many commercial breaks -- on day 3, they would often have 3 minutes of commercials, 5 minutes of content (with half of that being promos), then go straight back to another 3 minutes of commercials.... over and over and over and over.

3) Missing picks, talking over picks, getting off subject instead of talking about picks... odd how they can't understand that the reason we're watching if for the goddamned picks!

4) Guest coaches -- too many. Cover the goddamned picks!
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Espn's day three "coverage" was basically NFL Live being held at the combine. They didn't really talk about any of the picks at all. I thought the NFLN crew did a better job of being specific about each player. ESPN only covered the "glamour teams" and when they did they barely spoke about the pick at all. "Here are the last five picks. The Jets took a running back. What will this mean for the stress on Mark Sanchez this year?"
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Sirius absolutely owns the draft coverage. Pat Kirwan, Tim Ryan, and Gil Brandt...
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I thought NFLN was overrated anyway. Kiper doesn't bother me as much as some people, and they have better "scoop" guys like Schefter. They conduct better interviews, too. I usually watch ESPN coverage and record NFLN.
This. Is it just me, or is Rich Eisen seem like an idiot? He just doesn't seem to very much football knowledge at all. His interviews on Total Access are borderline embarrassing.

I hate Kiper, and alot of the other clowns at ESPN.....but the only draw for me on NFLN is Mayock.

Both networks have a lot of negatives, IMO.

For the most part I would do the same as you......watch the draft on ESPN.....record NFLN, and then just listen to what Mayock had to say later about the picks.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I think the best draft coverage by far that I''ve found is Dallas area radio station Sports Radio 1310 the Ticket, which goes wall to wall and has detailed info on every single pick, plus you can tune in on the internet. The only drawback is you have to listen to the insanely annoying voice of Norm Hitzgius, who sounds like a laughing hyena on meth when he gets rolling. Other than that...it's tight. These TV guys are all more interested in their own face time, and definitely agree that Rich Eisen is completely unnecessary.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

The log jam situation where picks are in but the commish is busy with pagentry has got to go. Total bullshiat when twitter is better coverage than the NFLN.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Sirius absolutely owns the draft coverage. Pat Kirwan, Tim Ryan, and Gil Brandt...
^
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
The log jam situation where picks are in but the commish is busy with pagentry has got to go. Total bullshiat when twitter is better coverage than the NFLN.
^
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I don't know, mayock is so much better than kiper, don't think I could switch to espn.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Didn't bother me. At least they didn't tip picks all of the time.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #15
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i heard a PR/media guy from some company on sirius nfl radio radio the day before the draft talking about how NFLN and ESPN are taking 2 different approaches to the draft. NFLN is trying to bombard you with people, getting opinions from as many people as possible in as short a time as possible, whereas espn was sticking with a few people like kiper and mcshay and a few others and getting their consistent opinion throughout the draft.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #16
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

I watched one until I got fed up with it and changed to the other network...usually about 15 minutes. Put my remote through a workout through those 3 days
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I watched the draft on NFL Network and wondered what other people thought of it. I thought they did a piss poor job of it, an opinion more reinforced by looking at it again since I recorded it. Not only did they skip tons of picks because they had up to 6 or 7 commercials at one shot, which is probably understandable, but they also added to the problem by the endless promos of their own work, skipping multiple picks at one time due to these stupid promos that were pimping their draft coverage...as if people already watching the draft needed to be beaten up with miles of video footage of New York City, babies with players, usally the same scenes repeated ad naseum ad infinitum, etc...basically they blew covering about half the picks in rounds 4-7 due to their need to promote what we were already trying to watch...idiotic.

On top of that, they started off with 5 analysts, and 3 would have been more than enough. By the time every one of these guys cycled through with non-related comments often times more picks went by without any information. What info they did provide usually sucked. For example, they called Ronnie Hillman a 3rd down change of pace back, but despite the kid's size at 200 pounds, he was a workhourse back at SDSU and they might have pointed out that nearly 3300 yards rushing and 36 TD's from the YOUNGEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT in only two seasons might bode well for him adding a few pounds and growing into an NFL ready every down guy. Some teams (Dallas for example) went nearly the entire draft with no video footage on any of their picks after the first round, others had endless commentary on stuff that probably nobody cared about. All in all I give them an F for ****up which is what it was. I didn't check ESPN's show so I don't know what it was like but it would be hard to get worse than this.

Thoughts?
I watched the NFLN.com stream on the web and it was much more tolerable than trying to watch their TV crap. The nfln has a lot of commercials to begin with and I think that is because it's a young network trying to generate $ which I understand. But they do way too much self promotion crap. If they want to advertise about themselves, put those commercials on another channel, buy advertising time from ABC or CNN or whatever. Quit pumping your crap on the NFLN where I'm already watching. The only thing I can think of is they don't have to pay for their own advertising space so they just keep this crap on their own channel. ESPN does the same thing, part of the reason it sucks so bad too.

Meh, if you are paying for a channel you shouldn't have to watch commercials ad nausium but NFLN doesn't get it. It's pretty crappy all things considered.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
This and it's no contest.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

the two main things that bothered me was lombardi anouncing the pick before the pick & les miles inability to complete a sentence coherently.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #20
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Will consider sirius next year. Rich Eisen might know nothing about football, but I find the guy incredibly entertaining. Don't care about anyone else but Mayock. If NFLN had Eisen, Mayock and another guy that was up to Mayock in terms of his research... that would be ideal.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

What was embarrasing was watching Ted Sundquist on nfln.com. Dude sucks. He's completely clueless and kept reverting back to "well when I was with the Broncos we drafted so and so...."

So what Ted. Do you have a freaking clue about this pick or not?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I find radio guys do a much better job since it is all audio and no video. They can grab things in the studio and you would have no clue they were hussling around when the next pick was brought up in 2 minutes instead of 5 minutes. Of course visual helps when you have no idea who the player is that just got drafted.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
What was embarrasing was watching Ted Sundquist on nfln.com. Dude sucks. He's completely clueless and kept reverting back to "well when I was with the Broncos we drafted so and so...."

So what Ted. Do you have a freaking clue about this pick or not?
I switched to the tv feed the second he was announced.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i heard a PR/media guy from some company on sirius nfl radio radio the day before the draft talking about how NFLN and ESPN are taking 2 different approaches to the draft. NFLN is trying to bombard you with people, getting opinions from as many people as possible in as short a time as possible, whereas espn was sticking with a few people like kiper and mcshay and a few others and getting their consistent opinion throughout the draft.

Are the reasons I left it on NFLN.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #25
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
^
Agreed. On both ^
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote