The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Default Where Will Wolfe Play?

I had been under the assumption that Wolfe would play at DT, for a likely base alignment of Dumervil, Wolfe, Warren, Ayers. Then on third down move everyone all over the place with Miller thrown in for havoc.

Then I read a DP article suggesting that Wolfe would play end on run downs and rush from the DT spot on third (basically exactly Ayers spot last year). The overall point of the article was that Ayers might be on his way out, but this doesn't make very much sense to me in terms of getting the probable four best DL on the field. I thought Ayers was solid, if unspectacular, last year and played better toward the end of the season. He's a disappointment, to be sure, given where he was drafted, but seemed like a solid starter to me and certainly better than the scrubs they will likely be able to field at DT if Wolfe plays at end.

Thoughts?
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Taking Ayers off the field would be a huge mistake. Ayers, Warren, Wolfe, and Doom should be the base DL.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 04-30-2012 at 01:11 PM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

I think that's a bad idea because Ayers is a good run-stopping DE.

I like him at UT most of the time.
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Taking Ayers off the field would be a huge mistake. Ayers, Warren, Wolfe, and Miller should be the base DL.
Did you mean Elvis?
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

I would not count Ayers out yet. Warren has not seen playing time in 2 years... No gaurantee he will ever make it back. At that point Wolfe will be playing UT while Ayers stays at DE.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Did you mean Elvis?
Yeah that guy
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Taking Ayers off the field would be a huge mistake. Ayers, Warren, Wolfe, and Miller should be the base DL.

You missed someone.................

DOOM
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Better thread title ....... "Where the white DT's at"
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Agamemnon

I seriously doubt them picking Wolfe has any direct impact on Ayers. They are completely different players who fit completely different roles. I could see them both lining up at DT in obvious passing situations, but they won't be in direct competition with each other at all. And Ayers came on strong late last season, so I really don't think he's in any danger of losing his job in general. If they wanted to replace Ayers they would've drafted a true LE, not a smallish DT.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Doom/Jackson (DE), Warren/Bannan (NT), Wolfe/Ayers (UT), Ayers/Jackson (DE), would be my guess, or some variation thereof.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Doom/Jackson (DE), Warren/Bannan (NT), Wolfe/Ayers (UT), Ayers/Jackson (DE), would be my guess, or some variation thereof.
I think they'll play him in both NT and UT positions to see which one hes comfortable with then work from there
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
manchambo
Ring of Famer

OK--I'm not crazy. The story didn't make any sense to me. Of course the DP is trying hard to sell this idea that this draft is making up for the mistakes of Moreno and Ayers. The thing is Ayers isn't that big a mistake.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I would think it's
RDE- Doom/Hunter/Beal
NT- Warren/Bannan
UT- Wolfe/Vickerson
LDE- Ayers/Jackson

That's pretty impressive line-up if they stay healthy and live up to expectations.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
BroncoBeavis

MLB
Old 04-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
I had been under the assumption that Wolfe would play at DT, for a likely base alignment of Dumervil, Wolfe, Warren, Ayers. Then on third down move everyone all over the place with Miller thrown in for havoc.

Then I read a DP article suggesting that Wolfe would play end on run downs and rush from the DT spot on third (basically exactly Ayers spot last year). The overall point of the article was that Ayers might be on his way out, but this doesn't make very much sense to me in terms of getting the probable four best DL on the field. I thought Ayers was solid, if unspectacular, last year and played better toward the end of the season. He's a disappointment, to be sure, given where he was drafted, but seemed like a solid starter to me and certainly better than the scrubs they will likely be able to field at DT if Wolfe plays at end.

Thoughts?
are you talking about the Klis article?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...009-2012-draft

knowing Klis, this article is mostly BS.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I would think it's
RDE- Doom/Hunter/Beal
NT- Warren/Bannan
UT- Wolfe/Vickerson
LDE- Ayers/Jackson

That's pretty impressive line-up if they stay healthy and live up to expectations.
What's "pretty impressive" about it? The only player on that list who is genuinely good is Dumervil. Outside of Wolfe, the rest are average to terrible, and who knows how good Wolfe will be.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
are you talking about the Klis article?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...009-2012-draft

knowing Klis, this article is mostly BS.
Actually it was this one: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...brock-osweiler

Which says the following:

Ayers, Moreno fighting for jobs.
The Broncos' 2012 draft sent a direct message to the Broncos' top picks in their 2009 draft: Potential doesn't count anymore.
Running back Knowshon Moreno, the No. 12 pick in 2009, was pushed down the depth chart after his team selected speedster Ronnie Hillman early in the third round Friday. Defensive end/tackle Robert Ayers, the No. 18 pick in 2009, may lose his starting position to Derek Wolfe, who was the Broncos' second-round pick Friday. Ayers may now also have to compete with freshly drafted Malik Jackson for a backup role.
Jackson, who like Ayers played at the University of Tennessee, was selected by the Broncos in the fifth round Saturday.
In Fox's 4-3 system last season, Ayers played defensive end on first and second downs, then slid inside to tackle in pass situations. The plan for Wolfe is to start at defensive end on rush downs and pass rush from the tackle spot
Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
What's "pretty impressive" about it? The only player on that list who is genuinely good is Dumervil. Outside of Wolfe, the rest are average to terrible, and who knows how good Wolfe will be.
you're such a breath of fresh air

and by breath of fresh air of course I mean, complete douchebag
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
deputyorange
Just Drafted

Why not line up Wolfe, Warren, Bannan and Ayers on obvious run downs? Let Doom rest up to rush the passer, slide Ayers and Wolfe inside on pass downs.
deputyorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
you're such a breath of fresh air

and by breath of fresh air of course I mean, complete douchebag
Someone appears to have an aversion to reality...
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputyorange View Post
Why not line up Wolfe, Warren, Bannan and Ayers on obvious run downs? Let Doom rest up to rush the passer, slide Ayers and Wolfe inside on pass downs.
Because then you are making it far, far too easy to pass on 1st and 2nd down.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
Agamemnon

Quote:

The Broncos' 2012 draft sent a direct message to the Broncos' top picks in their 2009 draft: Potential doesn't count anymore.
Running back Knowshon Moreno, the No. 12 pick in 2009, was pushed down the depth chart after his team selected speedster Ronnie Hillman early in the third round Friday. Defensive end/tackle Robert Ayers, the No. 18 pick in 2009, may lose his starting position to Derek Wolfe, who was the Broncos' second-round pick Friday. Ayers may now also have to compete with freshly drafted Malik Jackson for a backup role.
Jackson, who like Ayers played at the University of Tennessee, was selected by the Broncos in the fifth round Saturday.
In Fox's 4-3 system last season, Ayers played defensive end on first and second downs, then slid inside to tackle in pass situations. The plan for Wolfe is to start at defensive end on rush downs and pass rush from the tackle spot
I'll believe it when I see it, and when I see it I'll only laugh. Wolfe has absolutely no business playing DE in a 4-3.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #23
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:

With this I hope that if they do use him as DE on running downs, its more to rest Doom and Ayers, not replace Ayers. Ayers is good enough to play, he is one of the top 4 DL on this team, if not top 3 imo. If he was a 3rd or 4th round pick, and wasn't picked by McD, would everyone still hate him? Who cares where he is drafted if he can still help this team.

Same goes for Moreno. He's on the team and can do some things to help this team. Until there are 4 RB on the roster better than him (which imo there is not right now) why not use the skills he has to help rather than be upset about what he can't.

That being said how bad was that draft. I like Ayers, but everything else was a complete fail. Moreno is decent, but is not a feature back and Bruton is the only one left on the team and is a ST is all. Hopefully EFX's drafts resemble 2006 more than the 2010 draft.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

RDE - Dumervil/Hunter
RDT - Bannan/Warren
LDT - Vickerson/Wolfe
LDE - Ayers/Hunter
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

I don't remember very well, because I didn't know as much about DL positions when I was younger, but didn't Shanahan try moving Trevor Pryce to DE? If so, how did that turn out?
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote