The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default John Elway: draft couldn't have gone better

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...2012-nfl-draft
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Armchair Bronco

Elways needs to start studying the 2 AFC teams that are consistently in the playoffs and Super Bowl: New England and Pittsburgh.

Both team draft smart and rarely have "head scratcher" picks. NE likes to trade down, but they do it the polar opposite way compared to Elway's 1st-round fiasco on Thursday.

Both teams regularly keep lots of their picks instead of cutting 2nd and 3rd rounders as has been the case in Denver dating back to Shannyham.

Bottom line: Elway is as clueless drafting as was Shannyham and McStalin. Some things never change. Meanwhile, NE and Pittsburg just keep pulling off one solid draft after another.

Last edited by Armchair Bronco; 04-29-2012 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Sounds like Elway isn't done yet. More trades? FA pickups? I may not be comfortable, but I'm on board. Full speed ahead!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Elways need to start studying the 2 AFC teams that are consistently in the playoffs and Super Bowl: New England and Pittsburgh.

Both team draft smart and rarely have "head scratcher" picks. NE likes to trade down, but they do it the polar opposite way compared to Elway's 1st-round fiasco on Thursday.

Both team regularly keeps lots of their picks instead of cutting 2nd and 3rd rounders as has been the case in Denver dating back to Shannyham.

Bottom line: Elway is as clueless drafting as was Shannyham and McStalin. Some things never change. Meanwhile, NE and Pittsburg just keep pulling off one solid draft after another.
The Pats are going to look like the Colts did this year once Brady is gone. Their drafts haven't been nearly as good as people have made them out to be once these guys actually hit the field. There are some great picks in there (Gronk), but at the same time, they've got a ton of mid- to high picks that haven't been anything better than marginal players at best.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Armchair Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
The Pats are going to look like the Colts did this year once Brady is gone. Their drafts haven't been nearly as good as people have made them out to be once these guys actually hit the field. There are some great picks in there (Gronk), but at the same time, they've got a ton of mid- to high picks that haven't been anything better than marginal players at best.
And yet NE pretty much owns the AFC spot in the Super Bowl year in and year out.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
And yet NE pretty much owns the AFC spot in the Super Bowl year in and year out.
Because they have one of the greatest QBs of all-time, just like you could count on the Colts winning 12 games a year because they had Manning. Is anyone afraid of Welker if it's not Brady throwing him the ball? The Law Firm ain't that great either. They are who they are because of Brady, not some amazing drafting prowess that BB's had the past few seasons.

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 04-29-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Elways needs to start studying the 2 AFC teams that are consistently in the playoffs and Super Bowl: New England and Pittsburgh.

Both team regularly keeps lots of their picks instead of cutting 2nd and 3rd rounders as has been the case in Denver dating back to Shannyham.

I disagree. New England has had a ton of head-scratcher picks that have totally panned out for them.

Look at the round value of the picks this year, for example.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Because they have one of the greatest QBs of all-time, just like you could count on the Colts winning 12 games a year because they had Manning. Is anyone afraid of Welker if it's not Brady throwing him the ball? The Law Firm ain't that great either. They are who they are because of Brady, not this some amazing drafting prowess that BB's had the past few seasons.
Yep. With a mediocre QB they are an 8 win team.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Yep. With a mediocre QB they are an 8 win team.
Or less... but in all fairness, they went 11-5 with Cassel in 2009.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
After 18-1 the previous year.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
For real man, buy a jets jersey.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

Both teams regularly keep lots of their picks instead of cutting 2nd and 3rd rounders as has been the case in Denver dating back to Shannyham.

NE doesn't pick head scratchers? How about Travon Wilson in the second? You guys need to stop hyping NE.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 04-29-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Forgot about that. Maybe Belicheat is just that good.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
NE doesn't pick head scratchers? How about Travon Wilson in the third? You guys need to stop hyping NE.
Wilson went in the 2nd, actually.

Jake Bequette was a huge reach in the 3rd. I had him going to the Broncos in the 6th in my mock.

Last edited by Mogulseeker; 04-29-2012 at 02:31 PM..
Old 04-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Because they have one of the greatest QBs of all-time, just like you could count on the Colts winning 12 games a year because they had Manning. Is anyone afraid of Welker if it's not Brady throwing him the ball? The Law Firm ain't that great either. They are who they are because of Brady, not some amazing drafting prowess that BB's had the past few seasons.
That's what I've been saying for a while now too. Let's see what kind of "genius" Belichick is when Brady retires. How many teams have hired Patriot staffers and been highly disappointed with the results?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:

Humm…… It seems to me that if I was selecting a person to evaluate QB’S in the draft that I wouldn’t have a problem with John Elway being an expert on evaluating talent and identifying a possible backup for Manning and even a future replacement.

But of course I’m sure that you and the rest of the doubters will ride his ass until proven wrong as usual but feel free to tell me what makes you qualified to second guess Elway’s pick.

Last edited by Pony Boy; 04-29-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

Jake Bequette was a huge reach in the 3rd. I had him going to the Broncos in the 6th in my mock.
Opps I think I was going with their third pick.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Not to mention that the Pats getting Brady was about as "genius" a draft decision as us getting TD. In other words, complete luck. The league passed on Brady.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair [COLOR="Red"
GM[/COLOR];3576240]Elways needs to start studying the 2 AFC teams that are consistently in the playoffs and Super Bowl: New England and Pittsburgh.

think your name should be ArmChair GM..

Now that said much of what you have said about the elite teams in the NFL you can add INDY and BAL to that AFC list..

Now I know that INDY stunk last year but had you taken Elway out for a year like what happened to IND I suspect we would have been drafting top Dawg also..

Now I will add that Elway has not done anything wrong with the players he selected Last year, so I will give him the benefit of doubt on these
Quote:
"head scratcher"
pick until proven other wise..

As critical as I was of mikeys "head scratchers" and blown salary cap crap.. I'm going to wait a while before condeming this draft class.

I'm thinking that we finally have a scouting department and a VP of Ops that are not ass clowns..

SO Il give them a free ride for awhile..

Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:

Bequette was a 4th rounder on every board I've seen prior to the draft so maybe just maybe you gave Denver some value there by taking him in the 6th. Ludo and I selected him actually for the Pats in the OMane Mock in the late 4th.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #21
ozomulsion
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The ladies man.
Default 1

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozomulsion View Post
Steelers ended up with a bunch of old players who couldn't stay healthy, and got beat by Tim Tebow in the first round of the playoffs last year. YAY, go Steelers! Let's do exactly what they do...

N.E. kept trading back last year when they needed pass rushers, and drafted running backs. Those running backs didn't do them much good when they were losing yet another S.B. last year. They got their pass rushers now. YAY, go Pats! Let's do exactly what they do...

Moreno and Hillman are not the same running back. Different skill set, and they can co-exist. He's not a replacement for Moreno.

We very possibly hit several home runs in this draft, and some of you are so upset that your favorite players didn't get picked, or just blind to what happened. Cry your lil hearts out. The people who have always known what they were talking about on here, still do. This board is full of so much crap and whining during draft week. Nothing ever changes. Any reasonable posts fall on deaf ears, anyway. I'm out.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #22
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Yet they have pretty much ruled the roost along with PIT for that past decade..

while we were going after the UBER high-priced FA and busting salary cap year after year, these guys along with BAL and IND are building their team via the draft and a few super pickups in FA that are/were not ball busters..

I used to hate the PATS, then I looked into how they buitl their team and their mind set..

I admire what Kraft did to make them CONSISTENT winners..

Lets just hope that we can once again reclaim the TOP DAWG status they took away from us..

I think everyone forgets that in almost every team they will see a year or two of top five draft picks before they climb back to glory..

AS for NE yes when brady hangs them up they will be hurting a bit jsut like we did after John retired.. but unless they fire Belicheck they will find someone to replace him. Unlike mikey who IMO was a great OC but really lousy GM and VP..

Time will tell..

Old 04-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Not to mention that the Pats getting Brady was about as "genius" a draft decision as us getting TD. In other words, complete luck. The league passed on Brady.
YEt they also had a damned fine (by their standards) QB when they took a flyer on him.. He was already a winner in NE, then they hired Belicheck then there were sparks..

Most folks do not realize that until TD had a blow up tackle on ST in Japan, he was going to call it quits when he got home..

Some times things just have to break your way..
Old 04-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:

Are you kidding me?

Steeler fans question the drafting of Ziggy Hood when they already had Hampton ...and Patriot fans wondered WTF? when Bill selected not one but two receiving TE's in Gronkowski and Hernandez

Look we get it...you're pissed that the Broncos didn't draft the guys you had on your wish list...

I'm guessing some of you clowns will never be satisfied no matter what...

you dipsticks shouted that Bowlen's a cheap mo-fo'...so he spends a ton on a HoF QB, and you b**** and moan that he spent money.

you clowns griped that the Broncos didn't spend money on the DT position and then when they drafted one you b**** about where he was drafted...

you guys griped about needing Rb depth as knowshon moreno and lance ball suck and McGahee is old and owes everything he did in 2011 to Tebow...then they draft a kid that put up great stats and you question the competition he played against and where he too was drafted...

you clowns wanted a 3-4 year project QB that struggled to complete half his passes instead of manning, and when he got traded you still said we needed to find our QBOTF cuz Manning surely will suck after missing a year or would be one good hit from slobbering on himself in a wheelchair...and when they draft a guy to sit behind Manning you again b**** about where he was selected and question his ability to become a pretty good Qb after sitting behind Manning a couple of years.

My God! there is no pleasing any of you clowns.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #25
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:

....and it all starts with having a pretty damn good QB.

Well guess what the Broncos have that in their line-up now...just gotta get him the right supporting cast. and guys like hillman do exactly that....add in the young guys we got at WR and Manning's ability to make you or me look good catching his passes, and the fact he's been able to carry mediocre defensive teams to the playoffs for about 10 consecutive years...and I frankly don't understand the pessimism.
Closed Thread