The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: 2012 Draft Grade
A - Great draft with players and needs 8 5.63%
B - Solid draft filling some needs and getting prospects 60 42.25%
C - Average draft - some needs met, some prosects 53 37.32%
D - Dismal draft - needs and players selected both below average 19 13.38%
F - X-factor has failed us - needs and players underwhelming. 2 1.41%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Default Grade the 2012 Draft

Grade this years draft - base your grade both on the picks, and the roles we needed to fill, and how well we managed to accomplish this.

Last edited by Broncos4tw; 04-28-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
doonwise
Seasoned Veteran

Nothing earth shattering, but I like the character of the draft picks. I like that we are basing our picks largely off game tape and production instead of circle jerking to combine numbers. I would have liked to receive more compensation for our trades, but ultimately I think we have some solid picks.

Could we have gotten most of our guys later in the draft? Maybe. But it's impossible to know. Look at your own mock drafts and see where people actually went. For example, look at Chris Polk or Turin. How over drafted would they have been in your picks?

Anyway, Wolfe will be good. Loved his interview and passion. I just don't see him doing anything but succeeding.

Osweiler makes sense to me, especially because of his throwing mechanics and arm strength. If he's truly passionate about football and willing to work hard, then he is in a perfect situation.

Hillman, no opinion. Game tape looks good, but he's so tiny... not sure how well he'll hold up over the long haul. Seems like a third down back. I don't like that he has some ball security issues...
doonwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Have not even started the UDFA period and you want a grade
OBF1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Mecklomaniac
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Dolbin

Draft grade.... WTF

No idea what they are doing. Gotta give them the benefit of the doubt until the team hits the field, but with the exception of Manning this off seasons and draft has been a huge disappointment.
Mecklomaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Very average draft IMO, solid C. I don't think Osweiler is a good pick, but I very much hope I'm wrong.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

They stuck to their board and filled needs. I don't like the value on the trade backs and the Osweiller pick, but overall I like what I'm seeing from who they got.

B-
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Solid B. Would have been an A had we taken David or Spence instead of Osweiler. I love the Wolfe pick. Kind of ambivalent about Hillman, but the game tape looks intriguing. Really liked what we did on day three. Bolden could be a steal if healthy. Would have liked a WR prospect, but that's only a minor complaint.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
socalorado
Ring of Famer

NFL NETWORK AFC WEST GRADES
KC B+
SD B+
DEN B-
OAK C-
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
They stuck to their board and filled needs. I don't like the value on the trade backs and the Osweiller pick, but overall I like what I'm seeing from who they got.

B-
I voted B. But we seem to be right with the NFL Network guys, Mayock likes
Wolfe
Hillman
Blake
Bolden
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I voted A because until proven wrong I am going to assume everyone is a stud and Brock is our next Manning. So there.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Grade F -- Horrible draft..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecklomaniac View Post
Draft grade.... WTF

No idea what they are doing. Gotta give them the benefit of the doubt until the team hits the field, but with the exception of Manning this off seasons and draft has been a huge disappointment.
Andre goodman fan?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Liked a few selections, meh on a couple, not stoked about our first two picks.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

C. I dont mind the players but we got awful value for our three trades. I also think we reached on Wolfe and Hillman. Only time will tell if the players are good but we should have got more for our trades.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Have not even started the UDFA period and you want a grade
Heck, NFLN made their grades at the very beginning of the 7th round!
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I'd go with a B/B- depending on if Bolden can return to form.

Really didn't care for BFF Brock in the 2nd round when there were multiple plug and play guys still available.

Time will tell.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

B-
Agreed, they must have telegraphed their desire to trade back too much, and just didn't get the value they probably should have. OTOH, I remember Elway saying that the least value of this draft was at the bottom of the 1st round. If other teams agrees, it explains why they couldn't get better than a high 4th.

As for the picks, they got athletes with production and guys who are leaders on the team.

I can see Wolfe contributing day 1 on the rotation and maybe pushing to start late in the season or maybe next year.

Osweiller will be debated until he plays(hopefully not for 3-5 years), but is what I call a "necessary frustrating pick". What do i mean by that? Think back to 1993 when Denver spent a 3rd to get Jason Elam. Nobody(except the raiders!) likes spending high picks on ST's guys, but in this case it was necessary, and when all was said and done, he is a Ring of Famer.
Osweiller is necessary because we need a QBOTF, but frustrating because we spent a 2nd to pick a guy that will sit for 3 yrs. minimum before we know if he can play.

FWIIW, Mayock said on a wrap up show that he really likes the middle of the Broncos draft--Hillman, Omar Bolden, and Phillip Blake. He thinks Blake will be an eventual quality starter. For the Walton haters, they should be happy.

Overall, I am happy with the draft because they all seem like gamers to me, and many of them(except Brock) can contribute early in some way.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

glad they went after the positions they did (i.e. no more TEs, WRs,), but thought they went after lower rated guys at almost every position. meaning they believe themselves smarter than the rest of the pro football world.

we'll see. go broncos.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #19
Agamemnon

at all the homers giving this draft a B. Seriously, WTF?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
at all the homers giving this draft a B. Seriously, WTF?
How is that being a homer? I loved Wolfe, I've been banging the drum on him and saying he was being undervalued for weeks. Osweiler, yeah, I agree, didn't like that pick. Hillman was a bit of a reach, but has an intriguing skill set. I thought day three was awesome, really liked all the picks except the Kentucky LB, and that's just because I wasn't familiar with him but he did lead the SEC in tackles two straight seasons. Mayock gave us a B-, so I don't think you can call him a Broncos homer.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
How is that being a homer? I loved Wolfe, I've been banging the drum on him and saying he was being undervalued for weeks. Osweiler, yeah, I agree, didn't like that pick. Hillman was a bit of a reach, but has an intriguing skill set. I thought day three was awesome, really liked all the picks except the Kentucky LB, and that's just because I wasn't familiar with him but he did lead the SEC in tackles two straight seasons. Mayock gave us a B-, so I don't think you can call him a Broncos homer.
The Osweiler pick alone drops this draft to a C in my eyes, and that's not even getting into the poor trades and reaches.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The Osweiler pick alone drops this draft to a C in my eyes, and that's not even getting into the poor trades and reaches.
I don't agree there were any reaches other than maybe Hillman by half a round to a round, and maybe Osweiler (though I did see many of projections of him in the 2nd....Souts Inc had him rated in their top 32 players...not that I like the pick, but it's not a consensus "reach"). Wolfe would have come off the board shortly after #36, I don't care what the amateur websites say. He was too productive and physically gifted to last beyond the 2nd. The day 3 guys all went pretty much where expected.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I don't agree there were any reaches other than maybe Hillman by half a round to a round, and maybe Osweiler (though I did see many of projections of him in the 2nd....Souts Inc had him rated in their top 32 players...not that I like the pick, but it's not a consensus "reach"). Wolfe would have come off the board shortly after #36, I don't care what the amateur websites say. He was too productive and physically gifted to last beyond the 2nd. The day 3 guys all went pretty much where expected.
You don't agree there were reaches except for two reaches in our first three picks. Got it. Makes total sense.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You don't agree there were reaches except for two reaches in our first three picks. Got it. Makes total sense.
No, I agree that one was a SLIGHT reach in Hillman. Osweiler, while I don't like the pick, was projected by many to go in the 2nd. No one on the 3rd day was a reach.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

U for uncomplete
OBF1 is online now   Reply With Quote