The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Default National Football Post Draft Analysis

Derek Wolfe #18 DE (9th D-lineman taken overall) - Grade - 5.9 "Has a deficient area of his playing or physical skills that he SHOULD overcome and contribute as a backup and spot player only."

Quote:
A tall, long-limbed defensive tackle who coils up well for a guy his size and looks a bit thicker in the mid-section/base than his weight would indicate. Can keep his base down off the snap and extend his arms into contact vs. the run game. However, lacks ideal natural anchor strength. Possesses decent natural power and did a better job keeping his legs under him as a senior. Uses his length well to shed, showcases some violence when asked to shed and finds the football well. However, simply lacks the physical make-up to simply hold up well at the point and too often gets a bit upright and knocked off balance through contact inside.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=36120

Brock Osweiler #7 QB (5th QB taken) - Grade - 6.1 "A clean prospect who will need time and development in order to contribute…physically, this player has all the tools to be a starter in the NFL but has not yet developed the necessary skills due to level of competition, offensive or defensive schemes, injury, grades or lack of playing time…true developmental player who has the potential to become a starter...This prospect has NO weakness in any critical factors, but will need time and development in order to fulfill his potential...This prospect is an underclassman and has decided to enter the draft early...his prospect lacks football intelligence to play his position in the NFL… Has a problem understanding schemes or taking information from the classroom to the field.

Quote:
Impression: Osweiler would have been much better served to stay for his senior year and develop his overall feel for the game. Because of as now he struggles to decipher defenses and honestly didn't display a great feel for his own offense either.

The guy has some talent and can sling the football. However, much like Ryan Mallett last season, he's going to need to play in an offense where he can throw the football down the field and isn't going to be forced to make many quick throws underneath, where he struggles with timing, footwork and ball placement.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=43956

Ronnie Hillman #17 RB (6th RB taken) - Grade - 5.7 "Has a deficient area of his physical skills that CANNOT be overcome, but has been productive and can contribute as a backup and spot player only...This prospect is an underclassman and has decided to enter the draft early...This prospect presently lacks the bulk for the position, but should be able to add bulk through time.

Quote:
I don't see a real dynamic quality to his game when asked to explode out of his breaks and accelerate toward daylight. He looks more smooth than explosive and doesn't have the type of initial burst or straight-line speed to outrun angles toward the perimeter or in the open field. Plays like a 4.55 guy.

Impression: Looks like a reserve only to me. Has some natural running qualities, but runs a bit upright and doesn't have a real explosive quality to his game.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=43956

Omar Bolden #18 CB (11th CB taken overall) - Grade - 6.0 "An underachiever who has exhibited a deficiency in some area of his play...has the abilities to become a starter but hasn’t played up to them…has a problem with football instincts, character and/or competitiveness…boom-or-bust prospect...This prospect has an injury problem that has AFFECTED his play...This prospect has NO weakness in any critical factors, but will need time and development in order to fulfill his potential.

Quote:
Is a threat on special teams as he possesses very good speed and lateral quickness to make a man miss and accelerate. Displays good straight-line speed, has the ability to make up for a false step and looks like a legit low 4.4 guy...To his credit he has the speed to get himself back into the play, but struggles with balance again when asked to re-set his feet and high point the football. Isn't overly physical and needs to do a better job creating more of a bump into contact, especially down the field. Too often receivers can be physical with him out of their breaks and separate as they knock him off the ball...Missed the 2011 season due to a knee injury, will need to check out medically.

Impression: The skill set is there for this guy to be a starter in the NFL. Needs to play a little stronger and has to clean up his footwork in order to stick, but gives you some versatility to play inside and out on a defense.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=33526

Philip Blake #6 C (3rd C taken) - Grade - 5.8 "Has a deficient area of his playing or physical skills that will be DIFFICULT to overcome, but will contribute as a backup and spot player only."

Quote:
Impression: Possesses natural power and if he can play with his base under him a bit better in the NFL the guy will routinely create off the snap in the run game. Needs to play in a power based offense, but with some time has a chance to fight for playing time.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=41713

Malik Jackson #8 DE (14th DE taken) - Grade - 6.4 "Has one deficient area of his playing skills or his physical attributes that will be difficult to overcome, but will contribute in spite of it… Has the potential to become a starter based on his abilities."

Quote:
Impression: A great looking athlete. Has some real work to do from a technique standpoint and is playing out of position at Tennessee. However, has a lot of upside as a DE both in a 43 and 34 front in the NFL and looks like a really intriguing developmental defensive lineman at this stage with a good bit up upside long term.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=32491

Danny Trevathan #22 OLB (19th OLB taken) - Grade - 5.8 "Has a deficient area of his playing or physical skills that will be DIFFICULT to overcome, but will contribute as a backup and spot player only...This prospect has NO weakness in any critical factors, but will need time and development in order to fulfill his potential."

Quote:
Impression: Runs well, generates a burst as a tackler and possesses natural athleticism. He is undersized and might be better suited for more of a cover two team, but needs to improve his feel in zone coverage if he hopes to ever be more than a special teams guy/reserve.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...l&player=37493

Last edited by houghtam; 04-28-2012 at 01:32 PM..
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Take it for what it's worth, folks.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Agamemnon

Sooo....they aren't too hot on our draft I'm guessing...
Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Reads like a scouting report full of second and third round guys.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
2nd rounders are supposed to project to be starters. They are saying they don't think Wolfe will be anything but a backup/spot player (so starter quality for the Broncos). The guy they actually like most is a guy who won't see the field for years. It's pretty funny really. Hopefully they are wrong.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
That it does, the thing that concerns me a bit is the rankings. The 18th player taken at Wolfe's position was 6-7th round last season. The 17th RB taken was in the 7th round. It just means these guys project those two as major reaches, I think.

Meh, like I said, you guys can take it for what it's worth. It's just another group out there in a million doing draft analysis for a living. I remembered they had pretty good write-ups of the Senior Bowl, so I wanted to see what they had to say about our picks. I'll update it with whomever else we pick tomorrow, too.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Wolfe is a DT not a DE so good work lol.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Wolfe is a DT not a DE so good work lol.

That's what they had him listed as. I looked really hard for him in the DT section, but I just couldn't find him.

Maybe there is something in the write-up that explains what their thinking is. I wouldn't know.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
That it does, the thing that concerns me a bit is the rankings. The 18th player taken at Wolfe's position was 6-7th round last season. The 17th RB taken was in the 7th round. It just means these guys project those two as major reaches, I think.

Meh, like I said, you guys can take it for what it's worth. It's just another group out there in a million doing draft analysis for a living. I remembered they had pretty good write-ups of the Senior Bowl, so I wanted to see what they had to say about our picks. I'll update it with whomever else we pick tomorrow, too.
Do they really do this for a living? Sounds like the words of Internet amateurs to me.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Agamemnon

Quote:
I'm not following. It says that Wolfe was the 9th DL taken and Hillman was the 6th RB. What are you talking about exactly?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

That's what they had him listed as. I looked really hard for him in the DT section, but I just couldn't find him.

Maybe there is something in the write-up that explains what their thinking is. I wouldn't know.

Clearly they read a few other people and made him a 3-4 DE like them. It's weak at best. I'm not saying you are at fault here just saying it is theirs.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
Do they really do this for a living? Sounds like the words of Internet amateurs to me.
I don't even read the site normally. Like I said, I remember they had a really good write-up of the Senior Bowl, and so I went back to the Senior Bowl thread to see what they had to say about our guys. This is the true story of what I found.

So I looked it up, and also apparently they're affiliated with USA Today. Its columnists are fairly reputable and have experience in the business.

Matt Bowen was a sixth-round draft pick of the St. Louis Rams and also played for the Green Bay Packers, Washington Redskins and Buffalo Bills. He has a journalism degree from the University of Iowa and has written for a number of publications, including the Chicago Sun-Times, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Washington Times and Pro Football Weekly. Bowen received a masterís degree in writing and publishing from DePaul University and is a member of the Pro Football Writers Association.

Andrew Brandt, who writes about the business of football for the National Football Post, is an accomplished sports executive with more than 20 years' experience in professional football. Brandt is also the NFL Business Analyst for ESPN, providing insight and analysis on the NFL labor situation and all business of football issues for ESPN television and radio. Brandt can be seen across all platforms on ESPN.

Dan Pompei, who writes analysis and opinions for the National Football Post, has covered the National Football League for a quarter of a century. He currently writes about the NFL and Bears for the Chicago Tribune. He previously authored the NFL Insider column for The Sporting News. He is one of 44 members on the Pro Football Hall of Fame selectors board and also is one of nine members on the seniors committee. He has covered 23 Super Bowls and served as a pool reporter at five Super Bowls.

Greg Gabriel is a veteran of 29 NFL seasons. He started as a part time scout with the Buffalo Bills in 1981. In 1984 he became an area scout for National Football Scouting and then was hired by the New York Giants in January of 1985. Gabriel was with the Giants for 16 seasons and worked with some all time great NFL coaches and personnel people including George Young, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Dan Reeves, Tom Coughlin and Ernie Accorsi. While in New York, the Giants won three NFC Championships and two Super Bowls (XXI and XXI). Also, 12 first round draft picks came from Gabrielís main areas of responsibility. In June of 2001, Gabriel left New York to become Director of College Scouting for the Chicago Bears. During his nine seasons with Chicago, the Bears went on to win three Division Championships, one NFC Championship and were an NFC wildcard team twice. Six of the Bears draft picks went on to the Pro Bowl under Gabrielís direction. He also spent six years on the NFL College Advisory Committee. The purpose of the committee is to advise college underclassman on their potential NFL ability and draft status. Prior to entering the NFL, Gabriel was an account executive with Prudential Bache and later with Dean Witter. Gabriel has a Bachelor of Science degree from Canisius College in Buffalo, New York. He was also a three-year starter at running back on the Canisius football team. He then played eight seasons as a running back for the Twin City Geminis, a semi-pro team in the Buffalo area where he also coached running backs and special teams for one season. Gabriel and his wife Robin have six children and four grandchildren.

Wes Bunting completed a football GM and scouting course from Sports Management Worldwide, studying under Marc Trestman and Russ Lande, and has published scouting reports for NFLSmackdown.com, Scout.com and NFLDraftscout.com. Heís a member of the Football Writers Association of America.

Dave Miller is the college football writer for the National Football Post. After earning his Masters in Writing at DePaul University, he realized that he would never become John Updike. So he returned to writing about his first love: college football.

Brad Biggs joined the National Football Post in August 2009. He is entering his ninth season covering the Chicago Bears and currently is on the beat for the Chicago Tribune. He has written for numerous other publications, including the Sporting News. He graduated from the University of Missouri with a B.A. in political science and is the NFC North division representative for the Pro Football Writers of America.

Aaron Wilson joined the National Football Post in August 2009, and is entering his ninth season covering the Baltimore Ravens. An award-winning reporter, he covers the AFC North franchise for the Carroll County Times and the Annapolis Capital. He has written in the past for Pro Football Talk. He's also a correspondent for the Associated Press, Sports Illustrated and Athlon Sports. He has previously covered the Tennessee Titans and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

So sorry you don't like what they had to say. These analyses are news to me, as well.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm not following. It says that Wolfe was the 9th DL taken and Hillman was the 6th RB. What are you talking about exactly?
I'm saying the website has Hillman rated as the 17th best RB. The 17th running back taken last year was taken in the 7th round. We took him as the 6th RB this year. That's all I'm saying. Take it how you will.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #14
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Question for you who wastes his life on crappy websites... What did your mentors think of a 6th round pick named Terrell Davis, Just wondering.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Question for you who wastes his life on crappy websites... What did your mentors think of a 6th round pick named Terrell Davis, Just wondering.
Not sure. I only checked it about 2 hours ago for these guys. Hadn't ever been to the website before Chris and SpringStein linked it on Senior Bowl day. Maybe you should ask them. Let me know what you find out, I'd be interested to hear.

Edit: Thanks for reinforcing my point, though. Davis was selected in the 6th round. We got excellent value for him. I'm not sure what kind of value we got for Wolfe and Hillman. These guys seem to think it's a reach. I guess we'll find out.

Last edited by houghtam; 04-28-2012 at 01:14 AM..
Old 04-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #16
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I remember reading a scouting report on Terrell Davis that said he 'might contribute as a receiving back in spot duty. Can catch the ball and Mike Shanahan will like that'.

I can't even imagine what was said about Tom Brady that dropped him to the 6th round.

These analysts guess like everyone else, just with more information.

If the player has NFL skills, he can be coached to maximize those skills. Ultimately, his motivation, drive and the coaching staff become the determining factors for boom or bust.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #17
Boomhauer

Thread; Draft Analysis

Re; Wolfe is an excellent pick that will make an impact this season and become a mainstay for years to come. The other two on the second day will struggle to make 3rd string and were wasted picks for talent that could have found from college free agents.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #18
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I like the Wolfe pick since he has the potential to be a pass rusher from the DT spot, which is hard to find. At the very least a guy who can make some plays behind the LOS in the running game, which the Broncos haven't had much of that either.

I just don't like the Osweiler pick. If something happens to Manning, they are screwed anyway since for one, this guy isn't ready, and for two, he may never be ready. I think there were other players left on the board with more value and could help in 2012 and not possibly 2014 at the earliest.

Hillman is a nice replacement for Moreno, though not sure worth trading up for. But he isn't big enough to be an every down player and if McGahee has injury problems again, which is likely being an older RB who had them last year, then they will have fun rotating guys who aren't real options to tun between the tackles.

Drafting Turbin or Polk would be good IMO. I know Miller has dropped, but I just don't see a major player there. He's Tatum Bell reincarnated IMO who comes into his rookie year hurt. I'd pass. Which means the Broncos will trade the rest of their picks to move up to get him
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #19
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I don't even read the site normally. Like I said, I remember they had a really good write-up of the Senior Bowl, and so I went back to the Senior Bowl thread to see what they had to say about our guys. This is the true story of what I found.

So I looked it up, and also apparently they're affiliated with USA Today. Its columnists are fairly reputable and have experience in the business.

Matt Bowen was a sixth-round draft pick of the St. Louis Rams and also played for the Green Bay Packers, Washington Redskins and Buffalo Bills. He has a journalism degree from the University of Iowa and has written for a number of publications, including the Chicago Sun-Times, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Washington Times and Pro Football Weekly. Bowen received a masterís degree in writing and publishing from DePaul University and is a member of the Pro Football Writers Association.

Andrew Brandt, who writes about the business of football for the National Football Post, is an accomplished sports executive with more than 20 years' experience in professional football. Brandt is also the NFL Business Analyst for ESPN, providing insight and analysis on the NFL labor situation and all business of football issues for ESPN television and radio. Brandt can be seen across all platforms on ESPN.

Dan Pompei, who writes analysis and opinions for the National Football Post, has covered the National Football League for a quarter of a century. He currently writes about the NFL and Bears for the Chicago Tribune. He previously authored the NFL Insider column for The Sporting News. He is one of 44 members on the Pro Football Hall of Fame selectors board and also is one of nine members on the seniors committee. He has covered 23 Super Bowls and served as a pool reporter at five Super Bowls.

Greg Gabriel is a veteran of 29 NFL seasons. He started as a part time scout with the Buffalo Bills in 1981. In 1984 he became an area scout for National Football Scouting and then was hired by the New York Giants in January of 1985. Gabriel was with the Giants for 16 seasons and worked with some all time great NFL coaches and personnel people including George Young, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Dan Reeves, Tom Coughlin and Ernie Accorsi. While in New York, the Giants won three NFC Championships and two Super Bowls (XXI and XXI). Also, 12 first round draft picks came from Gabrielís main areas of responsibility. In June of 2001, Gabriel left New York to become Director of College Scouting for the Chicago Bears. During his nine seasons with Chicago, the Bears went on to win three Division Championships, one NFC Championship and were an NFC wildcard team twice. Six of the Bears draft picks went on to the Pro Bowl under Gabrielís direction. He also spent six years on the NFL College Advisory Committee. The purpose of the committee is to advise college underclassman on their potential NFL ability and draft status. Prior to entering the NFL, Gabriel was an account executive with Prudential Bache and later with Dean Witter. Gabriel has a Bachelor of Science degree from Canisius College in Buffalo, New York. He was also a three-year starter at running back on the Canisius football team. He then played eight seasons as a running back for the Twin City Geminis, a semi-pro team in the Buffalo area where he also coached running backs and special teams for one season. Gabriel and his wife Robin have six children and four grandchildren.

Wes Bunting completed a football GM and scouting course from Sports Management Worldwide, studying under Marc Trestman and Russ Lande, and has published scouting reports for NFLSmackdown.com, Scout.com and NFLDraftscout.com. Heís a member of the Football Writers Association of America.

Dave Miller is the college football writer for the National Football Post. After earning his Masters in Writing at DePaul University, he realized that he would never become John Updike. So he returned to writing about his first love: college football.

Brad Biggs joined the National Football Post in August 2009. He is entering his ninth season covering the Chicago Bears and currently is on the beat for the Chicago Tribune. He has written for numerous other publications, including the Sporting News. He graduated from the University of Missouri with a B.A. in political science and is the NFC North division representative for the Pro Football Writers of America.

Aaron Wilson joined the National Football Post in August 2009, and is entering his ninth season covering the Baltimore Ravens. An award-winning reporter, he covers the AFC North franchise for the Carroll County Times and the Annapolis Capital. He has written in the past for Pro Football Talk. He's also a correspondent for the Associated Press, Sports Illustrated and Athlon Sports. He has previously covered the Tennessee Titans and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

So sorry you don't like what they had to say. These analyses are news to me, as well.
Very enlighting. I think you will see this simialr experience on most site yet we fans think they know what they are talking about

I've decided to not take the media and mock drafts too seriously. If they knew what they were talking about they'd be in the NFL not taking classes about the NFL

Wonder what their report says about the CB NE took at #48
Bet he was a 4th round grade
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #20
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bůg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
This is the website that Mike Lombardi started with others after he left the FO gigs. It is pretty good overall, though I sometimes think Wes Bunting (the draft writer is a little to Mel Kiper at times).
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Updated with the Bolden pick.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Updated with Blake pick.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #23
Boomhauer

Quote:
Take it for what it's worth, folks.
I don't mean this toward you, but those "analysis" are a load of crap that appear derived from
statisticians/beancounters/bookworms, not anyone that's every seen these guys play or even watches football.
"Take it for what it's worth" - a waste of time and bandwidth.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #24
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I don't mean this toward you, but those "analysis" are a load of crap that appear derived from
statisticians/beancounters/bookworms, not anyone that's every seen these guys play or even watches football.
"Take it for what it's worth" - a waste of time and bandwidth.
Cool story, bro. I'm glad you could add that to this discussion. Seems like according to the bios posted on their site, they have a little more football experience than I or you do. But you're right, that site's no IAOFM. No professional face painters writing for National Football Post.

I wonder if your opinion would have been the same, had they rated the players the Broncos drafted higher.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #25
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Cool story, bro. I'm glad you could add that to this discussion. Seems like according to the bios posted on their site, they have a little more football experience than I or you do. But you're right, that site's no IAOFM. No professional face painters writing for National Football Post.

I wonder if your opinion would have been the same, had they rated the players the Broncos drafted higher.
Of course not. For me, the Bronco draft overall has been ok, but I was hoping for more, especially when the FO says they plan to build through the draft, yet take a QB high in the draft that has questions of just how good he will ever be anyway. But when compared to other teams who has similar records and better than the Broncos, seems their drafts on paper are better.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote