The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did you like the Trades Yesterday?
yes 45 63.38%
no 26 36.62%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default Did you like the trades on Day 1? Yes or No?

Simple question, let's get it down on the record before the draft continues.....
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
lolcopter

I liked all the trades in general, but I hated ours
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I like it for the most part, would I have liked a little more in return? Yes. I do like that they stuck to their draft board values though, good teams do.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer

I liked the concept, I didn't like the execution. Would feel way better about it if we had kept #126 and added #101, not swapped them. Also would have been in favor of trading back in exchange for a 2013 3rd as opposed to what we got.

The thought process was right, we just failed at negotiating for maximum value. Likely because we were desperate to move.

I still think that in reality we should have been an aggressor once we saw how the draft was playing out. Either trade up over Pittsburgh and get DeCastro or trade up to Seattle's pick and get Coples to play UT. Those would have been brilliant moves.

Still a ton of potential on the board for the Broncos to make good things happen with, and I hope they find a way to trade back into the 2nd, making three selections in the 2nd round would do this roster a ton of good.

Just avoid taking a QB or TE.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I liked the concept, I didn't like the execution. Would feel way better about it if we had kept #126 and added #101, not swapped them. Also would have been in favor of trading back in exchange for a 2013 3rd as opposed to what we got.

The thought process was right, we just failed at negotiating for maximum value. Likely because we were desperate to move.

I still think that in reality we should have been an aggressor once we saw how the draft was playing out. Either trade up over Pittsburgh and get DeCastro or trade up to Seattle's pick and get Coples to play UT. Those would have been brilliant moves.

Still a ton of potential on the board for the Broncos to make good things happen with, and I hope they find a way to trade back into the 2nd, making three selections in the 2nd round would do this roster a ton of good.

BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

I thought the 2nd trade back should've been 31 for 36 and 101 ... no swapping of 4th round picks.
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:

This. I like moving back, but we got jobbed in terms of value.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Yep, pretty much agreed. I advocated trading down months ago, but was hoping for better return.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
Endy
Go Donks

Thanks McDaniels for my season tix

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Nacho

I liked it because EFX obviously thinks we can get who we want at 36. I also know that this draft isn't too top heavy so that the draft chart thingy doesn't exactly apply b/c many teams aren't willing to trade up for a mediocre middle of the first round pick.

That said, I wish they could've gotten more out of Tampa because they obviously wanted to sneak in front of the Giants for the RB.
Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Yes if we get our guy at 36 that we wanted at 25~
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I like the idea of trading down if you don't like the value. I like the idea of getting more picks. But I don't believe we got fair value and therefore I voted no. I don't think we're as "screwed" as some here are suggesting. I don't think we're the "laughing stock" of the NFL as Agamemmnon insists. I do think when teams know you want to trade back, they aren't going to give you their best offer. We weren't the only team that got short changed on a trade back, but that doesn't make it ok.

I will say they better find some good people. I do disagree that trading back is still bad even if you get great players. That's totally false - especially if you were going to be forced to take someone else based on your spot who would have not worked out.

At the end of the day, you have to choose correctly, regardless of position. But for the sake of this poll, I thought we lost value - essentially getting a high fourth to move back, what, 15 spots?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
lolcopter

^ 11 spots
Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

We should have taken Hightower and let him become our next Al Wilson. Mays ain't that. I don't care how much you pay him.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
We should have taken Hightower and let him become our next Al Wilson. Mays ain't that. I don't care how much you pay him.
Just tells me between Mays and Irving Del Rio and Fox believe this wasn't a need
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Regardless of what you think of the trades, having three 4ths gives us a lot of flexibility to move up if we want. And considering most of the trades that occured yesterday, it's a buyers market, so we very well may be able to package our 3rd and the later of the 4ths and get back into the 2nd if we want.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Loved the Broncos moving back... if the players are not there on your board at #25.. trade back. The Broncos have ammunition to trade back up into the 2nd round.. I would love the Broncos to have 3 picks in the 2nd round.

I am willing to bet 2 of 3 would be starters.. the 3rd a contributor.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #17
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I like the idea of trading down if you don't like the value. I like the idea of getting more picks. But I don't believe we got fair value and therefore I voted no. I don't think we're as "screwed" as some here are suggesting. I don't think we're the "laughing stock" of the NFL as Agamemmnon insists. I do think when teams know you want to trade back, they aren't going to give you their best offer.
That's why you take their guy and give them the finger. Especially if it's Bill B. Maybe that's just me..
Old 04-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

I was promised impact players, I don't want every pick in the fourth round. Last night was the ultimate case of draft blue balls. I hope it all works out, the idea of helping the Pats get their guy really doesn't sit well with me.
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
We need LBs who can cover. Hightower is a 2 down thumper...a very good one to be sure, but those guys aren't worth a 1st in todays NFL, IMHO. I'd love Mychal Kendricks @ #36 or maybe Spence later on. Both those guys can fly and have the versatility to play MLB or weakside LB.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #20
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
Loved the Broncos moving back... if the players are not there on your board at #25.. trade back. The Broncos have ammunition to trade back up into the 2nd round.. I would love the Broncos to have 3 picks in the 2nd round.

I am willing to bet 2 of 3 would be starters.. the 3rd a contributor.
I just don't understand the logic of watching someone trade back only to say "now they have the ammo to trade back up" Seems like that approach doesn't add up somewhere.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #21
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Regardless of what you think of the trades, having three 4ths gives us a lot of flexibility to move up if we want. And considering most of the trades that occured yesterday, it's a buyers market, so we very well may be able to package our 3rd and the later of the 4ths and get back into the 2nd if we want.
It was a buyers market for that tier of the draft. No guarantee that it will remain as such in the early to mid 2nd.

If we had kept #126 this whole draft looks different for us, you have to see that. That is my only real complaint here.

Doesn't mean we can't still make some excellent picks though. Talent is on the board and the Broncos are obviously looking for good value at their picks. Good chance that tonight is a very positive night for Broncos football.

PS. everyone needs to hop on the Cordy Glenn train with me. Dude would revolutionize our interior OL. Talk about a dancing bear.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #22
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Regardless of what you think of the trades, having three 4ths gives us a lot of flexibility to move up if we want.
But not as much flexibility as if we had three higher 4ths or two 3rds and two 4ths. You keep making the same specious argument over and over.

We didn't get good value for moving back, period. You can spin that all you want, but we still have less value to work with than we should.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #23
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
We need LBs who can cover. Hightower is a 2 down thumper...a very good one to be sure, but those guys aren't worth a 1st in todays NFL, IMHO. I'd love Mychal Kendricks @ #36 or maybe Spence later on. Both those guys can fly and have the versatility to play MLB or weakside LB.
Even at the end of round 1 We do also need some LBers that can stop the run. We have a pure pass rushing LBer, a Fly around and miss LBer, and a drunken LBer who might very well miss 4-5 games. Taking Hightower at 26 would not have been a bad/wasted pick.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #24
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:

Agreed....especially the bolded part.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #25
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I just don't understand the logic of watching someone trade back only to say "now they have the ammo to trade back up" Seems like that approach doesn't add up somewhere.
Right now the Broncos have 2 picks in the 2nd round, chances are both players will be contributing... as apposed to having 1 pick that would contribute.

Pretty much the players from #15 deep into the 2nd round rate out about the same.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote