The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Question

I see people flipping out who probably would have been happy if we picked Worthy at 25.

So, we get him (or someone we value at a similar level) tomorrow and we get an extra pick .... trade chart is not gospel, it's just a guide.

If you don't see value and you trade down a few spots for something and get your guy, ain't that better than taking the guy an overvalued guy at 25?
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Was Hightower.... which is a position of need and value at 25 worth trading out of?
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Was Hightower.... which is a position of need and value at 25 worth trading out of?
clearly they didn't value Hightower enough to take him at that pick. if you do, then you disagree with a player evaluation, not a draft day trade. it ain't a hard concept.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

There were to be many more traded picks in the late 1st due to the smaller talent gap than expense gap with the new rookie wage scale system. This doesn't translate to losing out on an added 4th - 5th round pick or two sixth rounders. Elway should know best that 6th rounders are precious in Denver.

In round 1 of the NFL draft From 2001 to 2010 there have been 20 recorded trades from pick 6 to 15; 46 trades between picks 16-30...that is 66 picks from which that chart has been negogiated from. I'd say it has some fractional relevancy. We missed and missed big time...reducing the probability of hitting a serviceable player in round 4 or trading that additional 4th to move up in tomorrows round and get a possible starter....it just takes the odds and stacks them against you and you don't need that in any draft.

You also don't give value in a draft to a team that kicked your azz in the playoffs the year before.

Last edited by Vegas_Bronco; 04-26-2012 at 09:47 PM..
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by prunch View Post
I see people flipping out who probably would have been happy if we picked Worthy at 25.

So, we get him (or someone we value at a similar level) tomorrow and we get an extra pick .... trade chart is not gospel, it's just a guide.

If you don't see value and you trade down a few spots for something and get your guy, ain't that better than taking the guy an overvalued guy at 25?
If you don't want that Mercedes your Grandpa left you in his will and you just want it gone, something is better than sending it to the junkyard. However, if you sell it as if it were a Hyundai but then your neighbor sells his Ford as if it were a BMW, it can leave you confused about the value.

The early first showed values weren't as high as we might've seen in the past. There were just too many teams wanting to trade back. The issue, for me, is that Balt was not far behind us and even after a 2nd trade back increased our position in the 4th, their pick was STILL better than ours. So they traded back 6 slots from a lower position and got a better pick than we got trading from a higher position and going 11 slots or whatever. It's all relative.

I don't mind at all that they traded back and if that's what was on the table, so be it, but you don't show your anxiety so much that you get lowballed like that.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
We won't know until we see who we get.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
We've heard it reported that the team essentially red-shirted Nate Irving last year. They wanted him to put on weight and fully recover from his injuries.

Passing on Hightower says to me that the Broncos believe that Nate Irving can be an impact player at MLB.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
Bacchus

Quote:
He is a 3-4 LBer and does not fit the Broncos 4-3 scheme. The Steelers were thought to select him if the Ravens didn't. The Pats traded up to get him. They all run a 3-4 defense. He is too big to play MLB in a 4-3.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I think many need to see what comes tomorrow. I am happy if we get who we wanted and got an extra pick. I think the pick was a last minute acceptance when they should have been working it sooner to get the best deal possible. I like the pick but I either would have wanted a 6th thrown in or have a trading partner with a better 4th round. It felt like they had 5 minutes to come up with a trade and couldnt get more complicated. I cannot imagine they had that few minutes to work it.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
We've heard it reported that the team essentially red-shirted Nate Irving last year. They wanted him to put on weight and fully recover from his injuries.

Passing on Hightower says to me that the Broncos believe that Nate Irving can be an impact player at MLB.
Or they didn't think Hightower was.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
He is a 3-4 LBer and does not fit the Broncos 4-3 scheme. The Steelers were thought to select him if the Ravens didn't. The Pats traded up to get him. They all run a 3-4 defense. He is too big to play MLB in a 4-3.
He went to the perfect spot, he doesn't have to worry about guarding the NE TE's now!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Fox and JDR know how to evaluate LB's...If they liked him, they would have taken him. Not worried about it.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I think many need to see what comes tomorrow. I am happy if we get who we wanted and got an extra pick. I think the pick was a last minute acceptance when they should have been working it sooner to get the best deal possible. I like the pick but I either would have wanted a 6th thrown in or have a trading partner with a better 4th round. It felt like they had 5 minutes to come up with a trade and couldnt get more complicated. I cannot imagine they had that few minutes to work it.
Just out of curiosity, but are you simply going off of EFX's statements for this? Because I'm sure if you go back through the draft all the way back to 1936, the person in charge of the picks for every team has said for every pick, "we got who we wanted".
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #14
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Just out of curiosity, but are you simply going off of EFX's statements for this? Because I'm sure if you go back through the draft all the way back to 1936, the person in charge of the picks for every team has said for every pick, "we got who we wanted".
I'm pretty sure that Elway said today they didn't get who they wanted, hence the trading down.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
I'm pretty sure that Elway said today they didn't get who they wanted, hence the trading down.
Wouldn't you, if you traded down?

And whomever they draft tomorrow, wouldn't you expect them to say "yeah we got who we wanted."?

Just wondering if that's the standard, is all.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #16
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Wouldn't you, if you traded down?

And whomever they draft tomorrow, wouldn't you expect them to say "yeah we got who we wanted."?

Just wondering if that's the standard, is all.
Well I don't think anyone is going to draft a player they think will stink. The one they pick is a guy they like more than anyone picked after that...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
DT were going off the board before #25 so I want one still at #36. I am not sure if that is the way the FO is going but if we go after Worthy at #36, we just received an additional pick in the 4th if we were wanting him at #25 but didn't think it was value. Waiting game now.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote