The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
phibacka31
Ring of Famer
 
phibacka31's Avatar
 
Leggo

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 1,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default OT-Coaching HS Football

I am 90% sure I will be taking over as D-coordinator for the high school I went to. I am trying to build an expansive collection of formations/blitz packages/coverages/etc. I have a pretty good knowledge on defense and it's what I want to be coaching, but I'd love any of your opinions, too! I would appreciate any and all info you have. Maybe books and or DVDs that you think are great.
Thanks in advance!!!
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer
 
illbroncsfn's Avatar
 
adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Land o' Lincoln
Posts: 4,018
Default

What front are you looking to run?

Decatur- where are you looking to coach at ?
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
phibacka31
Ring of Famer
 
phibacka31's Avatar
 
Leggo

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 1,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

I need to update my location. I went to Millikin University, but I'm now back home in Iowa.

I'm thinking the 4-3 defense...I don't think the 3-4 is practical for our size school. Maybe the 4-4 front.
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

In my humble opinion a lot of the defense you install for a high school team is dictated by how good the athletes you have are, and how good the teams you will be playing are.

If you are setting up a defense for a 5A school who will be facing D-I and D-II caliber kids, and spread option offenses where they throw the ball 20 or 30 times per gane, that is entirely different that setting up a defense for a 2A school where the offensive lineman are 200 pounds.

If you have small guys and are coaching at a lower level of high school I like the blitz packages and a 4-4 stack front. However if you are playing teams with 280 pound lineman, a QB with 4.6 speed and a live arm, it probably wouldn't work. If you scroll down they have some of the blitz packages out of a 4-4 stack.

http://www.fbforyouth.com/4-4stack.html

Last edited by razorwire77; 04-26-2012 at 12:00 PM..
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
phibacka31
Ring of Famer
 
phibacka31's Avatar
 
Leggo

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 1,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Precisely...

2A Iowa football. Small school.
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,628

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

The only thing I can offer up is to remember that it is about the kids and the life lessons they can apply to working together as a team. Make your 1st priority to do right by them all.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Depending on the region of the country, a lot of small schools still run triple option and sometimes even single wing offenses with a lot of pulling and misdirection. If this is the case for the teams your school is facing, a 4-4 is usually set up to be assignment football and works well in defending basic run-oriented offenses.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
phibacka31
Ring of Famer
 
phibacka31's Avatar
 
Leggo

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 1,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
The only thing I can offer up is to remember that it is about the kids and the life lessons they can apply to working together as a team. Make your 1st priority to do right by them all.
That's why I'm getting into it. I'm already the head coach for the high school golf team and will be doing football and basketball also next year.
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,840

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibacka31 View Post
I am 90% sure I will be taking over as D-coordinator for the high school I went to. I am trying to build an expansive collection of formations/blitz packages/coverages/etc. I have a pretty good knowledge on defense and it's what I want to be coaching, but I'd love any of your opinions, too! I would appreciate any and all info you have. Maybe books and or DVDs that you think are great.
Thanks in advance!!!
Not to derail what you're trying to do, but give some consideration to the KISS theory. The last thing you want is missed assignments by one or several players. In my experience, your time is better spent working on execution. The old Quality not Quantity philosophy.

That being said. We named our coverages and positions by predators. Middle LB was always the Bulldog. Safety was Eagle. Blitzes and coverages were called using these monikers. This allowed the players to easily identify their responsibilities when it was time to bring the heat or time to drop into zone coverage. Of course the plays were installed during the week so that everyone knew their gap fits for any blitzes as well as zones for coverages... especially on the Bulldog Blitz. Our MLB was our best player and he generally had the freedom to blitz any gap as the play developed (when the blitz was called), but the rest of the players had to know how to cover his space when he went. Very simple concept that allowed us to play pretty fast and with the amount of teams that were running at that time, we did a lot of blitzing. Lots of focus on DEs maintaining responsibility and not letting anyone outside. But that too is pretty basic.

I'll never forget a camp I went to at UT when I was younger. The coach that was drilling us said you don't have to be pretty, you just have to be consistent. At the time I took that to mean that I could be sloppy as long as I consistently made the play. Several years later I started to understand that he was actually preaching KISS. No tricks necessary, just do what you do really well and execute each and every time.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,396

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Not to derail what you're trying to do, but give some consideration to the KISS theory. The last thing you want is missed assignments by one or several players. In my experience, your time is better spent working on execution. The old Quality not Quantity philosophy.

That being said. We named our coverages and positions by predators. Middle LB was always the Bulldog. Safety was Eagle. Blitzes and coverages were called using these monikers. This allowed the players to easily identify their responsibilities when it was time to bring the heat or time to drop into zone coverage. Of course the plays were installed during the week so that everyone knew their gap fits for any blitzes as well as zones for coverages... especially on the Bulldog Blitz. Our MLB was our best player and he generally had the freedom to blitz any gap as the play developed (when the blitz was called), but the rest of the players had to know how to cover his space when he went. Very simple concept that allowed us to play pretty fast and with the amount of teams that were running at that time, we did a lot of blitzing. Lots of focus on DEs maintaining responsibility and not letting anyone outside. But that too is pretty basic.

I'll never forget a camp I went to at UT when I was younger. The coach that was drilling us said you don't have to be pretty, you just have to be consistent. At the time I took that to mean that I could be sloppy as long as I consistently made the play. Several years later I started to understand that he was actually preaching KISS. No tricks necessary, just do what you do really well and execute each and every time.
I think this is really good advice all around. Keep assignments basic. Keep terminology simple. Using animal terminology and Rico for right Lucy for left etc. helps to simply the offense, especially if you are implementing a new system.

If you encounter teams who are running full house backfields or a lot of wish bone, flex bone etc., teach the kids to tackle their assignments not the ball.
Hell, that's one of the basic reasons why Tim Tebow went ape**** against Oakland on the ground last year. No concept of how to defend basic option assignment football.

DE contain is really important in lower levels of high school football. Make sure you have decent athletes so kids with speed can't simply catch an edge off of a basic end-around, lightning pitch etc. and go 70 yards.

And like the other posters mentioned. Teach fundamentals, pride, team ownership and respect. The rest should all fall into place.

Good luck.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,133

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

4-4 is great for hs ball since most teams run like crazy
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,717

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
In my humble opinion a lot of the defense you install for a high school team is dictated by how good the athletes you have are, and how good the teams you will be playing are.

If you are setting up a defense for a 5A school who will be facing D-I and D-II caliber kids, and spread option offenses where they throw the ball 20 or 30 times per gane, that is entirely different that setting up a defense for a 2A school where the offensive lineman are 200 pounds.

If you have small guys and are coaching at a lower level of high school I like the blitz packages and a 4-4 stack front. However if you are playing teams with 280 pound lineman, a QB with 4.6 speed and a live arm, it probably wouldn't work. If you scroll down they have some of the blitz packages out of a 4-4 stack.

http://www.fbforyouth.com/4-4stack.html
I coach offense, not defense, but I still tell everyone that my job is 70% recruiting, and the other 30% is coaching well enough not to get in they way of their natural talents. However, some schemes are usually dictated by your talent level.

If you have good talent at Safety, the 50 front is really adaptable. it allows you to focus on shutting down the run early, gives you a place for "edge rushers" to impact the game, and generally forces the offense into bad down/distance situations. If you have good OLB/DE's, it basically works as a 3-4 in zone coverage and is pretty effective against spread offenses. My experience is that good Safety play always makes the difference, because your corners can get easily exposed/tricked vs. the edge run game.

You can make lots of schemes work based on your talent level, we just had some pretty good luck with a 50 front because it allowed us to hide the fact that we didn't have dominant DT's, and we also utilized our "stud" OLB/DE in lots of blitzes, and he was able to change the course of the game for us.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,119
Default

We ran a 5-2. Which usually went to a 4-3 unless the O went double tight (if you were the weak side end you dropped back off the line into the flat). As a previous poster said the number 1 responsibility of the DE was contain.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer
 
illbroncsfn's Avatar
 
adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Land o' Lincoln
Posts: 4,018
Default

Good advice out there. I have run 50 fronts, 40 fronts, and 3-3-5 in the past. The defense has always changed to meet the personnel available. The toughest D's I have fielded have been blue-collar 50 fronts w/2nd and 3rd string RB's as the NT, consistently slanting/stunting according to formations and creating havoc for many teams.

If you have an athletic but not so intelligent group, 4-4 is the way to go as the coverages stay pretty simplistic...
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,628

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Not to derail what you're trying to do, but give some consideration to the KISS theory. The last thing you want is missed assignments by one or several players. In my experience, your time is better spent working on execution. The old Quality not Quantity philosophy.

That being said. We named our coverages and positions by predators. Middle LB was always the Bulldog. Safety was Eagle. Blitzes and coverages were called using these monikers. This allowed the players to easily identify their responsibilities when it was time to bring the heat or time to drop into zone coverage. Of course the plays were installed during the week so that everyone knew their gap fits for any blitzes as well as zones for coverages... especially on the Bulldog Blitz. Our MLB was our best player and he generally had the freedom to blitz any gap as the play developed (when the blitz was called), but the rest of the players had to know how to cover his space when he went. Very simple concept that allowed us to play pretty fast and with the amount of teams that were running at that time, we did a lot of blitzing. Lots of focus on DEs maintaining responsibility and not letting anyone outside. But that too is pretty basic.

I'll never forget a camp I went to at UT when I was younger. The coach that was drilling us said you don't have to be pretty, you just have to be consistent. At the time I took that to mean that I could be sloppy as long as I consistently made the play. Several years later I started to understand that he was actually preaching KISS. No tricks necessary, just do what you do really well and execute each and every time.
Is it wrong that when I read the word Predator I thought of Nate Webster 1st?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #16
uk bronco
Seasoned Veteran
 
uk bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: glasgow
Posts: 327

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Nalen
Default

I'm an OC and the 3-3-5 or 3-5-3 D has really taken off over here in the UK where football is largely run first and i find it the most difficult front to scheme against.It gives you great blitz options and wide dogs keeping contain. Luckily our DC loves it and runs it sowe get to practice against it a lot. If you want i know he has collated a ton of 335 353 playbooks let me know and i can email them to you.
uk bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Centennial
Posts: 3,561
Default

If you need a QB coach Ben McDaniels is probably available.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
phibacka31
Ring of Famer
 
phibacka31's Avatar
 
Leggo

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 1,349

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Thanks for all of the response! I greatly appreciate all of the responses! If any of you have any more detailed info I can pm you my e-mail, so you could send me the info that way! Thanks again!
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #19
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 384
Default

I think its really admirable the coaching you are doing.

Team sports was such an important part of my childhood growing up, learning life lessons and all of the social aspects that go with being part of a team.

I still remember all of my coaches from growing up.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #20
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,959
Default

something tells me "an expansive collection of formations/blitz packages/coverages/etc." isn't exactly a great fit for 2A HS football. your job isn't to make a name for yourself.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
ward63
Go Broncos!
 
ward63's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,194

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert
Default

In high school, it is best to have things simplified. Trying to create a complex defense like dropping a lineman into coverage or something like that would not be a great idea. You can still have twists and dog blitzes, but the easier it is to understand, the better it is. Especially when you have a small school and a limited amount of kids to play. A key thing to remember is...blitz.
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #22
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,664

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Depending on what kind of talent you have and what the players can handle, something easy to understand is the way to go. But I do like the 3-4 defense in that you disguise which players are coming on blitzes and confuse the OL on who to block, backed up with some sort of zone coverage. But again, you may have to make adjustments as you go to see what your players can handle and understand.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,812

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Good luck and if you are hiring, there is this one guy that went to Canton HS and he was a baller. He might be looking for a job soon.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 21,812

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibacka31 View Post
Thanks for all of the response! I greatly appreciate all of the responses! If any of you have any more detailed info I can pm you my e-mail, so you could send me the info that way! Thanks again!
Do yourself a favor and do not mention you got some killer new plays from the internet pro football fan site.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Vegas_Bronco's Avatar
 
Fear is a lack of preparation.

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Now 64 Yards Out
Posts: 5,051

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1
Default

We use to have an earlyactivity summer passing scale practices prior to the season 7 on 7 where our offense and defense would run plays against one another and you got 300+ extra reps at your position to start the season. This greatly increased our qb to wr chemistry and our safeties were ridiculous in coverage usually grabbing 7-8 ints a year. These were not coached practices...just player only workouts that helped everyone get better.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Denver Broncos