The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
OrangeSe7en

Default OT: Pimsleur method of learning a foreign language

...has anyone tried it? It's supposed to be taught in a way that children learn, which is to say, it's taught without memorizing out of a text book. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking about learning French.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

You aren't smart enough to learn a foreign language. Don't try man.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You aren't smart enough to learn a foreign language. Don't try man.
This is based on what?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
This is based on what?
God spoke to me.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
God spoke to me.
It must have been the Greek god of stupidity.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Shananahan

Quote:
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
You are the Koalemos here.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
...has anyone tried it? It's supposed to be taught in a way that children learn, which is to say, it's taught without memorizing out of a text book. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking about learning French.
My sources say it is an effective way to learn a language. This can change though, depending on the lunar cycle (my sources say).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
My sources say it is an effective way to learn a language. This can change though, depending on the lunar cycle (my sources say).
Don't give him any hope. He does not have what it takes. The force is not strong with this one.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That's not really an accurate statement, it's simply another marketing approach of one of hundreds of different methods of second language acquisition.

As someone with a degree in a foreign language and who taught at Michigan State for a year, I can say that if you're learning from an audio recording, the best you'll ever get is "fairly comfortable with" the target language.

The thing that is hard to swallow for most adults trying to learn a foreign language in their spare time is that language learning is not really something that can be done "in your spare time"...not very efficiently, anyway. I understand that it's pretty much the only option for people with full time jobs whose employer won't spring for their education, but it's one of those things, and being a subject near and dear to my heart, I'm of the opinion that if you're going to learn a language, you go full bore. 100% of the people that I know who have tried to learn a language on their own have failed to get very far.

If that is your only option (learning on your own via software/audio), then I would suggest Rosetta Stone...that's gotten very good reviews from several different second language acquisition societies, as well as several of my former professors.

If you decide to go full bore, I would suggest Berlitz if there is a language center near you, and even if not, they offer online webinar courses, as well. I used to teach for Berlitz, and the quality of their online instruction was very good. I've also heard nothing but good things about their in-person instruction.

If you really want to do it right, there's this place:

http://www.middlebury.edu/ls

$5000 for a full year's worth of college language credit in only 7 or 9 weeks, with complete immersion. If you go there, you'll come away speaking fluently. Believe me.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Houghtam, what other languages do you speak? Klingon?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Children can easily learn new languages for the most part, adults will almost always struggle no matter the system or technique. Do You Understand the Words That Are Coming Out of My Mouth?
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
That's not really an accurate statement, it's simply another marketing approach of one of hundreds of different methods of second language acquisition.

As someone with a degree in a foreign language and who taught at Michigan State for a year, I can say that if you're learning from an audio recording, the best you'll ever get is "fairly comfortable with" the target language.

The thing that is hard to swallow for most adults trying to learn a foreign language in their spare time is that language learning is not really something that can be done "in your spare time"...not very efficiently, anyway. I understand that it's pretty much the only option for people with full time jobs whose employer won't spring for their education, but it's one of those things, and being a subject near and dear to my heart, I'm of the opinion that if you're going to learn a language, you go full bore. 100% of the people that I know who have tried to learn a language on their own have failed to get very far.

If that is your only option (learning on your own via software/audio), then I would suggest Rosetta Stone...that's gotten very good reviews from several different second language acquisition societies, as well as several of my former professors.

If you decide to go full bore, I would suggest Berlitz if there is a language center near you, and even if not, they offer online webinar courses, as well. I used to teach for Berlitz, and the quality of their online instruction was very good. I've also heard nothing but good things about their in-person instruction.

If you really want to do it right, there's this place:

http://www.middlebury.edu/ls

$5000 for a full year's worth of college language credit in only 7 or 9 weeks, with complete immersion. If you go there, you'll come away speaking fluently. Believe me.
Well, truth be told, I already can speak German. French would be my 2nd foreign language. I learned German through the conventional route. I don't necessarily want to be fluent in French but, as they often say, "once you learn your 2nd foreign language, the third is easy.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Ich habe auch Deutsch aber nicht Franzosich gelernt. Est is so scheis... weil jeder Deutscher am Grosser Stadt Englisch sprechen kann. Vielleicht Franzosich ist besser als Deutsch.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Josina just tweeted "Requiem be dum n tearin dis thread apart."
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Ich habe auch Deutsch aber nicht Franzosich gelernt. Est is so scheis... weil jeder Deutscher am Grosser Stadt Englisch sprechen kann. Vielleicht Franzosich ist besser als Deutsch.
Stay strong with the German. It's true that many Germans speak English and for that reason, it seems hopeless/pointless. Just keep going with it. I've been there. Don't sweat it.

As for me in the here and now, I'm looking forward to learning new things. I thought about Italian (as that would be my preference) but I have a significant other who studied French, which is another Romance language. So, I'm tied to French as far as this is concerened.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Genau. Als wir in München im 2004 waren hat mein Bruder ein Rezept für Medizin bekommen. Wir sind in die Apotheke gegangen, und die Apothekerin hat mir das Medizin gegeben, und hat mir gesagt wie das Medizin zu nehmen. Ich habe es auf English übersetzt, und sie hat mich unterbrochen -- "Maybe I can translate this into English for your brother."

War mir so ernüchternd.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Stay strong with the German. It's true that many Germans speak English and for that reason, it seems hopeless/pointless. Just keep going with it. I've been there. Don't sweat it.

As for me in the here and now, I'm looking forward to learning new things. I thought about Italian (as that would be my preference) but I have a significant other who studied French, which is another Romance language. So, I'm tied to French as far as this is concerened.
I might be in Berlin for a solid chunk this summer. Possibly my favourite city on the planet (Stockholm for the girls). I grew up in a German International School teaching an English curriculum... of all the weird combos. My German stopped when the adjective endings got ridiculous and we had the choice of passing "Sprachdiplom" to qualify for Uni in Germany. It's been downhill ever since.

When I'm in Germany it comes back and there's a vast vocabulary... but any grammar I have is subconscious :|
Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Well, truth be told, I already can speak German. French would be my 2nd foreign language. I learned German through the conventional route. I don't necessarily want to be fluent in French but, as they often say, "once you learn your 2nd foreign language, the third is easy.
Well what I said applies to language acquisition in general, not just German. In addition to German, I had 12 years Latin, 2 years Greek and 1 year French. Language acquisition for western languages (and romance languages in particular) is more or less the same for each language. If you've already learned a second language, sure...Just about any program you get will help you out, since you already have a basis from which to build.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Best way to learn a language is to go where its spoken.

Immersion. You learn quick that way.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Genau. Als wir in München im 2004 waren hat mein Bruder ein Rezept für Medizin bekommen. Wir sind in die Apotheke gegangen, und die Apothekerin hat mir das Medizin gegeben, und hat mir gesagt wie das Medizin zu nehmen. Ich habe es auf English übersetzt, und sie hat mich unterbrochen -- "Maybe I can translate this into English for your brother."

War mir so ernüchternd.
Was passiert mit ihrem Bruder? Ich bedeute die Ergebniss.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #22
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:

War mir so ernüchternd.
Par for the course in Germany.

Anybody here speak mandarin?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #23
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Well what I said applies to language acquisition in general, not just German. In addition to German, I had 12 years Latin, 2 years Greek and 1 year French. Language acquisition for western languages (and romance languages in particular) is more or less the same for each language. If you've already learned a second language, sure...Just about any program you get will help you out, since you already have a basis from which to build.

Good luck.
Thanks. When I went to Italy, I was with a friend who could speak Spanish. When we were in Italy, he spoke Spanish and the Italians thought he was skeaking some Italain dialect. I think Italian and Spanish are closer than French though.

As far as German goes, my German is very functional. I wouldn't say it's fluent but that's not necessarily what I'm shooting for at the moment. German, like other langauges, is a hobby. I do it out of enjoyment and I love speaking German. That being said, I'm looking forward to my next foreign language endeavor.

But thanks for your input. I really value what you've said this evening.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #24
extralife
Ring of Famer

you learn german as an educated language, not a practical one.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #25
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
you learn german as an educated language, not a practical one.
If you like science or a specific type of history. I'm more interested in philosophy and seducing french women. Many German women can be had by the simple ownership of a penis.