The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default OT-Going to the Darkside, iphone questions

iphone users I am looking for your experiences. I have made the choice to replace my ancient smartphone with an iphone.

I made the choice purely because it is pretty, it's music apps, its pretty, I have clients that use it that I need to support, it is pretty and I can turn it into a Korg Kaoss pad for $6.99.

1st question: How hard is it to sync Word/Excel/Outlook?

Is it any more fragile than any other smartphone? Should I get a warranty on it?

I currently have a slider Tilt, is texting difficult on iphone?

I was going to stay with AT&T because I have had them forever and have everything else with them. I don't need 4g but I am pretty sure I am going with an iphone 4S 16g thought it is hard to pass up a free iphone 3.

Has anyone here used the iRig to record with it?

What is the best thing about it?

What is your biggest regret about it?

Is it really as pretty as it looks?

Anything to know before I sell my soul to the devil? I have 2 ipods but they were vendor gifts, this is the 1st time Apple is getting my money.

Any help will earn you rep. Thanks for your time.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Re: Syncing - I stopped using the Microsoft suite years ago, and if I remember correctly it was easy to update everything using iCal and Entourage. Apple Store will gladly help you with this stuff.

They say it's more fragile, and I've seen cracked screens. But you can get a permanent clear face protector that keeps the face from breaking scratching or getting crushed with everyday wear. I have an inCase cover for mine that is VERY sleek and doesn't change the dimensions much at all and does a really good job of protecting the sides as well. Cost like 20 bucks at Target. I did get insurance, but this is my first iPhone so I wasn't sure. Next one I get (and I will get the next one) I probably won't get the warranty.

Texting is easy once you get used to the touchscreen. Honestly, as touchscreen phones go, it's the best, most intuitive one I've used (and I've had blackberry, droid and now iPhone. Not even a comparison).

Be glad you went up a step to get the 4S. The differences between the 4 and the 3 are night and day, and the 4S is particularly badass.

never used iRig.

Best thing: Probably just the ease of use. When I first got it, a step up from my Droid, the first thing I noticed was simply how elegant the whole thing feels. Front to back, whether you're using the web or scrolling through apps or playing a game, the thing just WORKS, and works smoothly without hiccups. Something I could never say about the Droid, which had so much bloatware as to make it a brick.

Biggest "regret"? I don't know that I have any. Price, maybe, and that I got the iPhone 4 about two months before the 4S arrived. My Droid **** the bed, though, and I had to have a phone. So. Yeah.

It's prettier than it looks. Did you play around at all with it? Ads and stuff on TV does it zero justice.

Honestly, Apple seems to me, as a customer, to be one of the most forward-thinking companies I've ever dealt with. I've never had an issue that wasn't easily and immediately fixable, and I've since purchased an iPad 2 (I already owned a MacBook). I used to be a total anti-Apple guy, figuring that the stuff PCs were doing was just as good, and that Apple was all hype. I don't think that way anymore. I love my Apple products, always get great service and help when I need it at the stores, and really love the ease of use. At first, it'll be like learning a new language... for about 24 hours. After that, it's all gravy, baby.

And for your consideration: Gene would own an Apple.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Honestly, Apple seems to me, as a customer, to be one of the most forward-thinking companies I've ever dealt with. I've never had an issue that wasn't easily and immediately fixable, and I've since purchased an iPad 2 (I already owned a MacBook). I used to be a total anti-Apple guy, figuring that the stuff PCs were doing was just as good, and that Apple was all hype. I don't think that way anymore. I love my Apple products, always get great service and help when I need it at the stores, and really love the ease of use. At first, it'll be like learning a new language... for about 24 hours. After that, it's all gravy, baby.
And the anti-Apple clowns show up in 5...4...3...2...

My iPhone is amazing, and I use it for about 5% of what it's probably capable of. To address a few of the questions from my own perspective:

- If you don't mind it looking a little clunkier, Otterboxes are a fine way of protecting your device.

- Might as well go for the 4S just for SIRI alone. Talk dirty to her. It's the funniest thing ever. That alone is worth the extra hundy.

- Best thing for me is ease of use. I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to computers and phones, and I picked this one up in no time. It's very idiot-proof.

- Biggest regret is that I went for the 4G instead of the 4S.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Never owned one but they seem pretty sweet if you can get past the tiny screen.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I don't like having to jailbreak the phone to make it wifi hotspot. I'm going to switch to a droid on Verizon for this reason alone, and I'm an otherwise happy iPhone user for the past five years.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Re: Syncing - I stopped using the Microsoft suite years ago, and if I remember correctly it was easy to update everything using iCal and Entourage. Apple Store will gladly help you with this stuff.

They say it's more fragile, and I've seen cracked screens. But you can get a permanent clear face protector that keeps the face from breaking scratching or getting crushed with everyday wear. I have an inCase cover for mine that is VERY sleek and doesn't change the dimensions much at all and does a really good job of protecting the sides as well. Cost like 20 bucks at Target. I did get insurance, but this is my first iPhone so I wasn't sure. Next one I get (and I will get the next one) I probably won't get the warranty.

Texting is easy once you get used to the touchscreen. Honestly, as touchscreen phones go, it's the best, most intuitive one I've used (and I've had blackberry, droid and now iPhone. Not even a comparison).

Be glad you went up a step to get the 4S. The differences between the 4 and the 3 are night and day, and the 4S is particularly badass.

never used iRig.

Best thing: Probably just the ease of use. When I first got it, a step up from my Droid, the first thing I noticed was simply how elegant the whole thing feels. Front to back, whether you're using the web or scrolling through apps or playing a game, the thing just WORKS, and works smoothly without hiccups. Something I could never say about the Droid, which had so much bloatware as to make it a brick.

Biggest "regret"? I don't know that I have any. Price, maybe, and that I got the iPhone 4 about two months before the 4S arrived. My Droid **** the bed, though, and I had to have a phone. So. Yeah.

It's prettier than it looks. Did you play around at all with it? Ads and stuff on TV does it zero justice.

Thanks man! I have no doubt Gene would have the best engineered device on the planet even if it was made by slave minors in China.

The music industry has really embraced all Apple products but especially the iphone and ipad. I want to buy an ipad just to get the Korg ms20 app but that is not going to happen for a while yet. I will surely pull the trigger when more daw mixing apps arrive.

Where did you get your phone? Apple store, Based on contract provider (AT&T, Sprint) or a Vendor store? I am leaning toward going online with At&T over the phone.

Down the road I could see going to a Mac Book to run Pro Tools but to get PT to the point that I have Sonar and all the VST apps and prochannels configured it could be more than just going to a base PT daw. The nice thing is that my MOTU interface will now work on PT without having to buy extra gear.

Thanks again man!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
And the anti-Apple clowns show up in 5...4...3...2...

My iPhone is amazing, and I use it for about 5% of what it's probably capable of. To address a few of the questions from my own perspective:

- If you don't mind it looking a little clunkier, Otterboxes are a fine way of protecting your device.

- Might as well go for the 4S just for SIRI alone. Talk dirty to her. It's the funniest thing ever. That alone is worth the extra hundy.

- Best thing for me is ease of use. I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to computers and phones, and I picked this one up in no time. It's very idiot-proof.

- Biggest regret is that I went for the 4G instead of the 4S.
I am an anti-Apple idiot.

I live to look clunky, an otter box will keep my nerd cred going! WoooT.

I am not looking forward to siri but I do like that a calendar entry can be made that fast. I had a 2 page therapy itenery and it took awhile to sync into Outlook.

I figure with a 4S 16g I should be able to get most of my cd's into itunes for once without having to rob Peter to pay Paul everytime I want to add some new albums..

Do the ear buds from the ipods work with iphone4s and I have an ipod input on my Pioneer amp, does the iphone4s have the same type of ipod sync cable? I guess I could do bluetooth via the PS3 in the basement.

I am still getting a boner to use the Korg Kaoss Pad on it and the iRig to record my electric guitar and piezo acoustic . I used my old phone to record some quick song ideas that I would flesh out later and it was like trying to record over an old 1920's type phone. hard to hear what i played into the speaker phone.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I don't like having to jailbreak the phone to make it wifi hotspot. I'm going to switch to a droid on Verizon for this reason alone, and I'm an otherwise happy iPhone user for the past five years.
AT&T offered a hotspot fee for like $30 or $50 a month.

Seemed way too high a cost to use it as a hot spot unless work would pop for it.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
AT&T offered a hotspot fee for like $30 or $50 a month.

Seemed way too high a cost to use it as a hot spot unless work would pop for it.
Yeah it's at least 30 bucks on top of the monthly service which is damn near 100 bucks already... Just to unlock a feature that every droid does for free on Verizon. It's possible to do it for free if you want to risk jail breaking your 400 dollar phone.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah it's at least 30 bucks on top of the monthly service which is damn near 100 bucks already... Just to unlock a feature that every droid does for free on Verizon. It's possible to do it for free if you want to risk jail breaking your 400 dollar phone.
Coming from someone who doesn't know anything about phones...what is the purpose of needing to make your phone a hotspot?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

never used iRig.

Pretty much the way I have though about Apple till my daughter got a macbook pro in college five years ago..

it is still going strong after God only knows how many drops from the top bunk in dorms..

I got an iMac which I'm on now 3 years ago and nary an issue..
My wife got an orginal iPad when they came out and loves it better than teh HP mini she carried around for her work..

We all got iPhones for Christmas 2010 and have not had a problem yet..

I fell in the pool a few months ago and it got soaked by the time I got out.. took it to ATT and they said I had to buy a new one.. But instead I went down inside the mall to the Apple store and said it was not working.. they tried to get it to work and ordered a new one said it would be in with in two days..

They called later that afternoon and said I could come by and pick it up..

they took the old one back and I brought teh new one home and synced it to the imac..was back in business in less than a day..

The only problem I had with it was syncing the blue tooth with my Volvo, took me forever to get it to work but finnally did..

I'm hard on phones and becasue of that I bought the otter box and do not know of how many times I have dropped it on tile or cement decks.. have never had a bit of problem Other than if it hits just right it knocks the mute ring switch into the mute ring...

The first two times I did that after missing a bunch of calls I took it to Att and then Apple for repairs.. took them about 3 seconds to move the switch back..

Now I know what to look for..

I do not use about 50% of the functions it has but do most of my email, web browsing on it, between it and the hand me down iPad my son gave me I rarely get on the iMAc anymore..

Do not use verizon as it has limitations on the iPhones capability.. I waited forever for them to get it and then finally switched to att and happy I did..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Thanks man! I have no doubt Gene would have the best engineered device on the planet even if it was made by slave minors in China.

The music industry has really embraced all Apple products but especially the iphone and ipad. I want to buy an ipad just to get the Korg ms20 app but that is not going to happen for a while yet. I will surely pull the trigger when more daw mixing apps arrive.

Where did you get your phone? Apple store, Based on contract provider (AT&T, Sprint) or a Vendor store? I am leaning toward going online with At&T over the phone.

Down the road I could see going to a Mac Book to run Pro Tools but to get PT to the point that I have Sonar and all the VST apps and prochannels configured it could be more than just going to a base PT daw. The nice thing is that my MOTU interface will now work on PT without having to buy extra gear.

Thanks again man!
Look for who ever has the best deal Att vs the apple store..

the rest of them are leaches IMO..

the earphones are interchangeable but I went out and spent big bucks on a pair that are noise canceling and fit in the ear.. I travel a bit and they are great on the planes.. can't wear them in Airports as I miss announcements..
Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:

never used iRig.

Excellent post. This is pretty much my experience too. I did have one Apple dog though. My first Mac Book Pro (15 inch screen) needed a new mother board and later a new hard drive, both were replaced free of charge and timely too.

I love Apple products, they are elegantly functional.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Coming from someone who doesn't know anything about phones...what is the purpose of needing to make your phone a hotspot?
Think of it as turning your wireless phone into a wireless access point for other devices to be able to access the WWW. Just be careful to do it with some sort of security/password set up if in public, or you could find other folks helping you to run up your data usage. Also, you went for the 4 not 4G as even the iPhone 4s is a 3G device. Maybe 4G will come with the i5.

Good luck with the iPhone, Steven. We looked /compared all of them pretty hard (my wife and I), and we were pretty set on getting the i4s' when we made our upgrade a couple of months back. Then we picked up and started playing with/researching the Samsung Galaxy Note, and that was the end of that. We needed something that was enterprise network capable for her, and business capable for me (plus 4g LTE is blisteringly fast). It all comes down to what you need to do with it. For creativity, the iPhone rocks. Pretty much like all Apple products. For work/business....flip the equation. It somewhat boils down to being a content consumer device as opposed to a content creator to a certain extent. We own an iPad as well, and I love the esthetic that all of Apple's products are built to. I get a good laugh, however at Apple turning into the very thing that they spent their youth criticizing.....namely IBM. You have to buy everything that matters from them, and they nickle and dime you to death doing it. Not looking for a debate here, just is what it is. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, just boils down to what you want to do with them and what meets that need the most effectively. Enjoy. I'm loving my Note as I'm sure you will love the iPhone. I still think that Gene would opt for the device that is a tool over the one that is a toy!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Excellent post. This is pretty much my experience too. I did have one Apple dog though. My first Mac Book Pro (15 inch screen) needed a new mother board and later a new hard drive, both were replaced free of charge and timely too.

I love Apple products, they are elegantly functional.
I was a PC fan for decades and always laughed at the "mac" clowns..

My last PC's was a network of Dells.. since then nothing but Apple products..

The only thing I miss on the apple keyboard is a backspace key...

other than tha they have kicked ass.

I can have 15+ windows open and running and it runs faster than my Dell does with two windows open and it had tons of memory..

MY only other problem is where my office is, my Time machine (router is in a front room and my office a back room.. Had to place it that way because of telephone jacks..
Old 04-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #16
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
iPhones have had a built in wifi hot spot for a few years now.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post

I can have 15+ windows open and running and it runs faster than my Dell does with two windows open and it had tons of memory..

MY only other problem is where my office is, my Time machine (router is in a front room and my office a back room.. Had to place it that way because of telephone jacks..
There's your problem.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #18
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post

Get yourself a wireless bridge and connect your PC to it with a regular lan cable and be done with it. Bridges have a MUCH stronger signal capability (not to mention larger antenna), as that is all they do. Especially compared to an internal wireless card in a pc where interference, power consumption, etc. are issues that can impact a pc's performance. Easy to set up, basically power everything off (router, pc's, etc), plug everything in, power it all back up, and enjoy. The nice thing is you can locate the bridge anywhere in the room you can run power and the lan cable. Best spot in my buddies home office was on a shelf three feet up on his credenza behind his desk, 10 feet away from where his pc/docking station resides on his desk. Now, it screams. No more dropped packets either.

This one works very well for what you need:

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/ada...VVviewprod.htm

get the reconditioned one and you'll still get full warranty, plus unlike an access point, your office PC will be the only device on it so it will haul the mail so to speak!

Last edited by Dutch; 04-22-2012 at 01:32 AM..
Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
There's your problem.
yep
Old 04-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

How do you like the Note Dutch?

I've been a Palm user for a decade but finally gave up last year and bought the HTC Titan running WP7 because of the 4.7 screen and WP7 is most like WebOS....

Pretty intrigued by that massive screen on the Note & I'd love to rock a stylus again....Android is the only thing holding me back.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i have only had bad experiences with iphones. it is like apple crammed it with so much **** that it can do, that it doesn't do anything great. its like they decided instead of quality lets just fill it with gadgets and that will keep people from getting pissed because of a mediocre overpriced paper weight.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #22
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The only advice I can offer is never eat pepperjack cheeseitz after a day of drinking.
Im gonna need an Ambien. Wu-Tang. End transmission.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #23
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Think of it as turning your wireless phone into a wireless access point for other devices to be able to access the WWW. Just be careful to do it with some sort of security/password set up if in public, or you could find other folks helping you to run up your data usage. Also, you went for the 4 not 4G as even the iPhone 4s is a 3G device. Maybe 4G will come with the i5.

Good luck with the iPhone, Steven. We looked /compared all of them pretty hard (my wife and I), and we were pretty set on getting the i4s' when we made our upgrade a couple of months back. Then we picked up and started playing with/researching the Samsung Galaxy Note, and that was the end of that. We needed something that was enterprise network capable for her, and business capable for me (plus 4g LTE is blisteringly fast). It all comes down to what you need to do with it. For creativity, the iPhone rocks. Pretty much like all Apple products. For work/business....flip the equation. It somewhat boils down to being a content consumer device as opposed to a content creator to a certain extent. We own an iPad as well, and I love the esthetic that all of Apple's products are built to. I get a good laugh, however at Apple turning into the very thing that they spent their youth criticizing.....namely IBM. You have to buy everything that matters from them, and they nickle and dime you to death doing it. Not looking for a debate here, just is what it is. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, just boils down to what you want to do with them and what meets that need the most effectively. Enjoy. I'm loving my Note as I'm sure you will love the iPhone. I still think that Gene would opt for the device that is a tool over the one that is a toy!
Thanks Dutch, I agree, with the IBM argument. I would have gone anywhere else but I have clients that can't seem to figure it out and have trouble doing things with it so I need one to help them and reading the reviews in Keyboard and EM mag's about all the music ways companies like Korg are using them I decided that when it was time I would jump ship. As long as the tool is a musical toy I will be ok with selling my soul.

Really I just need to be able to place a call and get a clear line, text, sync MS Office including Outlook and then play around with the Music Apps available for them.

When I saw Android I told myself that was the one I wanted but since the Apps don't seem to be interchangeable I am going iphone and much later ipad.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #24
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
How do you like the Note Dutch?

I've been a Palm user for a decade but finally gave up last year and bought the HTC Titan running WP7 because of the 4.7 screen and WP7 is most like WebOS....

Pretty intrigued by that massive screen on the Note & I'd love to rock a stylus again....Android is the only thing holding me back.
I don't need the massive screen so I am over that already.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i have only had bad experiences with iphones. it is like apple crammed it with so much **** that it can do, that it doesn't do anything great. its like they decided instead of quality lets just fill it with gadgets and that will keep people from getting pissed because of a mediocre overpriced paper weight.
This is my fear and how I felt about Apple all along but if my clients didn't use it and I could get the Apps on another phone I would still be mocking Apple.