The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Lookey What I Founded ! ! ! ! "It's all over fat man"

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 04-21-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Thanks for posting that. I watched the whole game.

The way that they played then, half the defensive hits would be called penalties now.

I forgot that Jim Turner missed 3 FGs that game. He really pooched out.

what a great team that was though. Thanks for the Memories!
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Lol I thought it was another tonyr thread.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
uplink
Ring of Famer

broncos had good players at all positions on D, seems like a long time since that has been true. First game I remember seeing in my life was the 77 Denver-Pitts playoff game.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
uplink
Ring of Famer

3rd and 22 and the broncos run right before the half. Was McCoy the O coordinator back then too?

actually the announcer said the wrong down, it was 2nd and 22
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
uplink
Ring of Famer

Moses leading the broncos to the promised land.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
Jason7730
Seasoned Veteran

Thx Rob, this should be mandatory viewing for aspiring Bronco fans. We had some badass linebackers back in the day with Collier dialing up some good stuff. Love me some Upchurch too! M&M connection over Lester Hayes = Priceless! Love the pursuit on Defense.

Last edited by Jason7730; 04-22-2012 at 04:25 AM..
Jason7730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #8
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Does it actually show Tom Jackson saying it?
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Great find on the video - thanks! As I have written before, I was at that game in the South Stands (age 21) and to this day still the greatest Denver sports event I've ever been to.

The famous "It's all over fat man" quote by Tom Jackson was actually not delivered by Tom in this AFC Championship game, but rather at the Broncos 30-7 victory over the Raiders in week 5. Both teams were 4-0 at the time but the Broncos were given little chance to win in Oakland. The Broncos had a relatively easy schedule in the first 4 games of the season and the Raiders were the defending Super Bowl champs. From the "It's All Over Fat Man" site (a great Bronco blog by the way):

"Although the Raiders jumped out to an early 7-0 lead, the teams entered halftime with Denver up 21-7 after a stunning fake field-goal attempt culminated in a touchdown pass to placekicker Jim Turner. As the clock wound down on Denver’s emphatic 30-7 victory, Broncos Ring of Fame linebacker Tom Jackson (now of The Worldwide Leader) approached the Oakland bench. The Broncos’ vocal defensive leader gestured to rotund Raiders coach John Madden and yelled, “It’s all over, Fat Man! It’s all over!” Denver and its Orange Crush Defense had a defining moment, and that defense would then carry the Broncos to their first playoff appearance and Super Bowl."

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/about

The defining play in that Bronco upset in week 5 was a fake field goal and TD by Jim Turner - #3 on my all time bronco plays that I posted here a couple of years ago:

titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would love to have seen video of him saying it.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

My favorite game for sooo many reasons. But it was also the last ever game in that great red-orange color jersey that I loved from 68-77.

The Broncos switched to the more standard orange that everyone is more used to in 1978.

For those uniform historians, pause the video at the 23:07 mark as Rick Upchurch enters the endzone celebration on Moses first TD. Look at Upchurch's jersey color compared to everyone else's. Everyone else is in the red-orange jersey and Upchurch is in the regular orange the team wuld wear from then on.

To me the 1977 Orange Crush "red-orange" jersies were the greatest the team ever wore.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
famous "It's all over fat man" quote by Tom Jackson was actually not delivered by Tom in this AFC Championship game, but rather at the Broncos 30-7 victory over the Raiders in week 5. Both teams were 4-0 at the time but the Broncos were given little chance to win in Oakland. The Broncos had a relatively easy schedule in the first 4 games of the season and the Raiders were the defending Super Bowl champs. From the "It's All Over Fat Man" site (a great Bronco blog by the way):

"Although the Raiders jumped out to an early 7-0 lead, the teams entered halftime with Denver up 21-7 after a stunning fake field-goal attempt culminated in a touchdown pass to placekicker Jim Turner. As the clock wound down on Denver’s emphatic 30-7 victory, Broncos Ring of Fame linebacker Tom Jackson (now of The Worldwide Leader) approached the Oakland bench. The Broncos’ vocal defensive leader gestured to rotund Raiders coach John Madden and yelled, “It’s all over, Fat Man! It’s all over!” Denver and its Orange Crush Defense had a defining moment, and that defense would then carry the Broncos to their first playoff appearance and Super Bowl."

Thanks for that information, I always assumed that was said after the AFC Championship game but after a little leg work found out that the game you mentioned broke a fourteen game winning streak by the raiders...

You know what they say when you ass-u-me......

Old 04-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
No...because the game that Jackson uttered those famous words was played earlier in '77 in Oakland. Broncos romped 30-7 with defense intercepting Stabler 6-7 times, and K Jim Turner scoring TD on fake FG......

on edit : Sorry, didn't read past your post before posting answer.....

Last edited by errand; 04-22-2012 at 03:10 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7730 View Post
Thx Rob, this should be mandatory viewing for aspiring Bronco fans. We had some badass linebackers back in the day with Collier dialing up some good stuff. Love me some Upchurch too! M&M connection over Lester Hayes = Priceless! Love the pursuit on Defense.
We had one that came from the US Merchant Marine Academy (Joe Rizzo)
Old 04-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
errand
Ring of Famer

that '77 defense on any given sunday could pitch a shutout....and was so good that despite turning the ball over 7 times in first half of SB XII, we trailed cowboys only 13-3 at halftime.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

I have been a Bronco fan for 40 yrs as of 2012. I rooted for the Baltimore Colts before that. I don't know if Bronco fans who don't remember 1977 with any maturity can understand why this season and particularly this Oakland game is my most cherished Bronco moment. As much as I loved the success of the Baltimore sports teams of my youth and the finality of the 1998/99 Superbowls, 1977 was unbelievably magical for Denver, Colorado and all Bronco fans. When you measure the past (pre 1977) against this season and overcoming some incredibly good teams such as Oakland/Pittsburgh/ect, Denver finally arrived as a legitimate football city and organization. The emotions were off the scale. This season broke through a ceiling of hope and expectations for Bronco fans from which there would be no return.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #17
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
I have been a Bronco fan for 40 yrs as of 2012. I rooted for the Baltimore Colts before that. I don't know if Bronco fans who don't remember 1977 with any maturity can understand why this season and particularly this Oakland game is my most cherished Bronco moment. As much as I loved the success of the Baltimore sports teams of my youth and the finality of the 1998/99 Superbowls, 1977 was unbelievably magical for Denver, Colorado and all Bronco fans. When you measure the past (pre 1977) against this season and overcoming some incredibly good teams such as Oakland/Pittsburgh/ect, Denver finally arrived as a legitimate football city and organization. The emotions were off the scale. This season broke through a ceiling of hope and expectations for Bronco fans from which there would be no return.
That Raider playoff game vs Baltimore where Capser beat Colts in 37-31 OT with that "ghost to the post" was a great game as well......
Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
lookin' glass
Pro Bowler

The first Oakland offensive play was standard Gradishar fare and the likes of Cortez Kennedy are in the HOF before him?!?
lookin' glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Money to Burn WOOOO®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

1977 AFC Championship
Oakland Raiders at Denver Broncos
January 1, 1978

I got it posted up on my other thread but since it's a thread about it here ya go enjoy

Excellent video (a tad fuzzy in places). 1 part, in 2 7-Zip files

http://jumbofiles.com/oevpr3kbh1u6
http://jumbofiles.com/umaboxgd74mr
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #20
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

looks as though the broncos with the fumble should have very well lost the game.

my pre83-84 broncos I am fairly unfamiliar with being that the year we went to that Superbowl I was like 1 1/2 years old. how did we lose alzado?
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

also thanks for the find.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post

Once upon a time, we had a defense.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #23
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
looks as though the broncos with the fumble should have very well lost the game.

my pre83-84 broncos I am fairly unfamiliar with being that the year we went to that Superbowl I was like 1 1/2 years old. how did we lose alzado?
Not sure about that. Madden even said he didnt think it was a fumble and he admitted the best team won.
1977 was my first year as a Broncos fan (I was 7 at the time) so I didn't get to suffer like so many did but having family back in Fort Collins/Wellington area plus my Dad hyping the season up every Sunday showed me how big of a deal this was. Going back that summer to visit was awesome when I got to actually buy or receive all the goodies in Colorado. I don't think we will ever see that type of hype again unless we start stinking it up for 15 years. Think of what KC would do if they actually had a stellar team. God, that place might explode when that finally happens (maybe 2034...too soon?).
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #24
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
1977 AFC Championship
Oakland Raiders at Denver Broncos
January 1, 1978

I got it posted up on my other thread but since it's a thread about it here ya go enjoy

Excellent video (a tad fuzzy in places). 1 part, in 2 7-Zip files

http://jumbofiles.com/oevpr3kbh1u6
http://jumbofiles.com/umaboxgd74mr

Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
errand
Ring of Famer

There was also the blown call of #82 Jack Dolbin going down low to catch a pass, he was untouched, and got up to score TD. It was ruled in-com-plete..... Replays look like he caught the ball.

so give the raiders the fumble and give the broncos the touchdown catch and the game still ends up 20-17 denver

Last edited by errand; 04-23-2012 at 09:06 PM..