The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default Oh McNabb...

Free-agent quarterback Donovan McNabb had a one-word reply when asked recently if he believes he should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame -- "Absolutely."

"See, one thing that people don't realize -- I never played the game to make it to the Hall of Fame. I played the game because I love it," McNabb, a 13-year veteran, told Fox Sports. "I played the game to win. I'm a competitor. When I step out on the field, I feel like I'm the best player on the field."

McNabb has yet to find a job since being waived last season by Minnesota after a 1-5 start. McNabb spent the 2010 season with the Washington Redskins, where he was benched twice. The team finished 6-10, and McNabb later said that coach Mike Shanahan "misused" him.

"Even these last two years, when people may look at it and say, 'Oh, he's done, or whatever.' I'm 34, 35 years old, but still, I played at the pinnacle, I played at the highest level of my career. I played there," McNabb told Fox Sports. "And I would vote for myself for the Hall of Fame."

Playing the Hall Of Fame Game

QB No. 1 has a .612 career winning percentage, going 9-7 in the playoffs. QB No. 2 had a .631 winning percentage and went 9-8 in the playoffs. One of the two is a Hall of Fame quarterback, the other is hoping to get in.

McNabb, who turned 35 in November, has not won a Super Bowl ring and says fans don't look at him as a Hall of Fame-caliber player for that reason.

"Peyton (Manning) never won the big game until he won the Super Bowl finally. Dan Marino never won the big game. But does that mean his career is a failure? No. Not at all," McNabb told Fox Sports. "When you sit and look at the numbers -- and that's what it is when it comes to the Hall of Fame -- my numbers are better than Jim Kelly, better than Troy Aikman, better than a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame, but the one thing they do have is a Super Bowl."

In 167 career games, McNabb has completed 59 percent of his 5,374 pass attempts for 37,276 yards and 234 touchdowns. By comparison, Aikman threw for 32,942 yards and 165 TDs but won three Super Bowl rings.

Kelly, who played in four Super Bowls but won none, has career numbers that closely align with McNabb's -- 35,467 yards passing and 237 touchdowns.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78...me-quarterback
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
lolcopter

Jim Kelly was awesome
Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Yeah, the Manning quote made me laugh pretty hard. John Madden'esq.

I heard Tom Brady and Joe Montana never wont he big game until they won it either.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I will never win the superbowl until I win it. The super. bowl.

He's insecure because of his Philly experience. I actually think he was an excellent QB for a long time... he just happened to play in one of the NFL's cesspools.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
BroncoBeavis

Someone better alert Jim Kelly that Donovan found his ring.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

There are worse players than McNabb in the Hall of Fame. Personally, I think he was a pretty good QB. But not hall of fame worthy.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
"See, one thing that people don't realize -- I never played the game to make it to the Hall of Fame. I played the game because I love it,"
Well than can be said by 99.9% of players who played in the NFL.. McNabb was good, but HOF caliber.. I don't think so.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

I think he could've had a Hall of Fame career, but he didn't.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
lolcopter

If broncoben had a blog that consisted only of pictures, I would read it daily
Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Mcnabb was having a HOF career up until the last few years... he needed to finish his career strong in order to make the halll...

There is an intriuging comparison between he and kelly, but kelly played in what i would consider a lesser passing era compared to mcnabb... then again kelly enjoyed offensive weapons everywhere...

People bag on jim kelly for losing the games, but getting your team to 4 straight SB appearances is one of the most impressive feats in nfl history...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

He was gassed against the 'Pats in the Super Bowl..., if he somehow pulls that game out, things may have turned out differently.

Donovan always had issues either throwing up, or just being spent at the end of games. Maybe to his credit, he was just bustin' his ass. Not sure..
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joel Dresseen

You sure he didn't get asked whether he thought he would remain a free agent?

Other than the year with T.O. he never threw for more than 25 TD's and had a career completion % under 60.

Last edited by cousinal11; 04-19-2012 at 01:11 PM..
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcver2ver3 View Post
Mcnabb was having a HOF career up until the last few years... he needed to finish his career strong in order to make the halll...

There is an intriuging comparison between he and kelly, but kelly played in what i would consider a lesser passing era compared to mcnabb... then again kelly enjoyed offensive weapons everywhere...

People bag on jim kelly for losing the games, but getting your team to 4 straight SB appearances is one of the most impressive feats in nfl history...
that 4 straight super bowl appearnaces is a feat that most likely will never happen again. in this day of free agency where players come and go every year it is almost impossible to keep a super bowl calibur team together that long.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

McNabb scored a 1 on the wonderlic
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
McNabb scored a 1 on the wonderlic
You get 2 pts for drawing a picture of a doggy. He only put 3 legs on his.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
Shananahan

Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Maybe in the Hall of Very Good.

You only get into the HoF if you can actually run a 2 minute drill.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
27atwater
THANK U!

sphincter says "what"?

Freddie Mitchell
James Thrash
Todd Pinkston
5 NFC Title games

Of course he's a Hall of Famer.
27atwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

not a first ballot one but he'll get in eventually. his last few years have hurt him but he's borderline.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
OrangeSe7en

I agree that me may not be a first ballot HOFer but when you look at where he played, teams/players in that part of the country are almost always well represented. Plus some of the piling on might make him sympathetic.

I'm not sure he deserves to be in but he'll probably make it. There are people who deserve to be in more though.

BTW, the point he made about having better numbers is stupid. Everyone knows what has been happening with all the rule changes over the last 10 years.

Last edited by OrangeSe7en; 04-19-2012 at 10:00 PM..
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
extralife
Ring of Famer

peak wasn't high enough or long enough. a couple less injuries and two more seasons with TO and he's in. didn't happen.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
Mile High Salute

Rule No. 1: you don't get to be in the Hall of Fame if you don't understand basic NFL rules.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...donovan-s-back

Secondly, yeah his run of what three straight NFC championship games was impressive, but how much of that was Andy Reid's offense? He's been garbage ever since he left Philly. Kevin Kolb looked awesome in Reid's system, then looked horrible in Arizona despite playing with Larry Fitzgerald. Michael Vick has been awesome playing for Andy Reid, even after serving time in prison and being out of the game. Hell, even Vince Young has put up some nice numbers in that offense. Hindsight makes McNabb's run look less impressive IMHO.

At the end of the day, I think he's in the conversation for the HOF, but he's definitely not a shoo-in. And I will say this: no way in hell McNabb should get in before Terrell Davis does.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #24
Shananahan

The only time 'Donovan McNabb' and 'NFL Hall of Fame' are ever used together in a conversation should be when that conversation is about the article in the OP.

Dude was very good for awhile, and I remember myself and others here, Slap especially, wishing we could see what he'd do in Denver at the time. He's not a HOF QB, though.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #25
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Good. he was never even the top 1,2,3 QB in the league at any point of his career. Star player for a few years, just not hall worthy.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote