The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Bmore Manning

Default Positions of Need and Value

When drafting the common thought is to take Best Player Available, let's be honest, this is not usually the case. In fact teams cross need with best player available, this represents the greatest value to the team. This is not always the case, teams will take BPA if they do not have holes on their roster, or a player falls much lower than expected.. I.E. Aaron Rodgers.

With the draft coming a week from today, it is absolutely imperative the FO nail the draft and find impact players/starters. Elway has said rounds 1-3 represent starters which is very common and the rest of the rounds should represent upgrades, potential starters, or impact players.

If rounds 1-3 represents starters, my question is which three positions should be addressed, and what round and player 1-3?
My Opinion:

Positions of need
UT, NT, WLB, RB, CB

Positions could use an upgrade
MLB, C, G, S, DE, Slot WR

Based on need and projected value I would like to see CB and DT addressed early, I think RB and LB are in the 3-4 range with a run stuffing NT who can push the pocket also in the mix.

A corner has to be taken with one of the first two to three picks, Bailey isn't getting younger, Porter is on a one year deal, and most impactful DBs are taken in early rounds of the draft. It becomes an expensive position to upgrade through FA. Having said that while DT is a need, unless one of the top DTs fall, I see more value to take one in round two then to reach when round one needs to make a difference. Even a CB on the Broncos taken in round one would be a rotational guy his first year but it shows better long term value.

What positions and in what order should the broncos address them in the draft?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
DENVERDUI55

CB OL DT in first for me. Where we are sitting at 25 is good spot for G or C. I wouldn't mind Fitz either. They don't bust very often. DT in second for sure.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think they like the receivers they have, but if a guy like Broyles is there in, say, the fourth, I think we should jump on it. Tough as nails, more fundamentally sound than pretty much any receiver in the draft, and produced at an absurd level in college. Would be going much higher if he never got hurt, but they say he's recovered miraculously (torn ACL I believe). Ran in the 4.5's post-injury on a pretty short turnaround.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Speaking of value, Marcus Forston in the fifth. Do it.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Frosty78
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wouldn't be surprised if they trade down at the position they are at in the draft. Elway has said they are drafting the best possible player regardless of position so it's going to be hard to project who they will pick. I think they like Doug Martin, Kirkpatrick, and Reyes for sure. That said, I just have a weird feeling the Coby Fleener will be our pick.
Frosty78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty78 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they trade down at the position they are at in the draft. Elway has said they are drafting the best possible player regardless of position so it's going to be hard to project who they will pick. I think they like Doug Martin, Kirkpatrick, and Reyes for sure. That said, I just have a weird feeling the Coby Fleener will be our pick.
Fleener would be an awesome option...
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I like Fleener, but I can't see where he fits. We signed Tamme and Dreesen in FA and invested 2 picks in TEs in last years draft. Unless they are writing off Orange Julius and Virgil Green already, I can't see them going with Fleener.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Really.. Coby Fleener, another TE ? I don't see it.. even if you go with the BAP (Best available player), I just don't see him as a BAP at #25 either.

No the more I read, the more I have a feeling the Broncos are going to go offense with the #25 pick. Too much depth at the DT coming out this year.

Now unless a player like LB Dont'a Hightower out of Alabama falls to #25.. I can see the Broncos drafting RB Doug Martin out of Boise State or WR Kendall Wright; Baylor. Both of these players will be immediate starters and special teams players.

And it has been noted more than once Elway is looking for 2-3 starters in this years draft.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I like Fleener, but I can't see where he fits. We signed Tamme and Dreesen in FA and invested 2 picks in TEs in last years draft. Unless they are writing off Orange Julius and Virgil Green already, I can't see them going with Fleener.
Fleener is just as fast as Decker, but is 6'5", and would be an absolutely deadly WR option.

Kendall Wright is a GAMEBREAKER.

Jonathan Martin, Peter Konz, or Mike Adams...all good picks.

Would be happy with Hightower or Nick Perry as well...

Last edited by pricejj; 04-19-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Frosty78
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The only player at 25 that is actually worth the 25th pick is Kirkpatrick. Which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down. At that point Reyes and Doug Martin would be in play along with Coby Fleener.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Frosty78
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Fleener is just as fast as Decker, but is 6'5", and would be an absolutely deadly WR option.
And weighs 247 while running the 40 in the 4.45 range.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
The only player at 25 that is actually worth the 25th pick is Kirkpatrick. Which is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if they traded down. At that point Reyes and Doug Martin would be in play along with Coby Fleener.
I'm not sold on Kirkpatrick...he might be a little slow to be an elite CB. I'm not sure he could hang with most #1/#2 WR's in the NFL. He also only had 3 INT's over his entire college career.

Fleener/Wright would own him 1-on-1.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Frosty78
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Won't matter. He's probably not getting past the Lions or Bengals.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Won't matter. He's probably not getting past the Lions or Bengals.
...or Steelers
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Frosty78
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
...or Steelers
True, I think they'll have a hard time passing on Hightower though. Draft is always a guessing game after the first 5 picks.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I think the thing we know, is that we just don't know how this group will draft (again).

We saw some of the Elway + Fox + Xanders drafting style last year, but who is to say JDR or Manning don't have a strong influence on our future decisions? If I was protecting my new $96 million dollar toy, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that finding a true pass blocking Right Tackle would be my first priority (and a good value at pick 25). Although, I don't feel strongly that is where our team will go because we also desperately need defense. So, we have needs and holes everywhere, and that is also a good thing. We can hardly go wrong because we can get better at almost every position across the board.

We just don't know a thing about this group (except we do know which one goes to get the pizza).
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
True, I think they'll have a hard time passing on Hightower though. Draft is always a guessing game after the first 5 picks.
Yep. Here's levels of excitement, based on who we pick in the 1st round:

1. Fist pumping sprint toward endzone: Kendall Wright, Coby Fleener

2. Look of elation while squealing the Range out of Dove Valley: Jonathan Martin, Pete Konz, Dont'e Hightower, Mark Barron, Derek Wolfe, Nick Perry, Cordy Glenn

3. Throat cough: Devon Still, Mike Adams, Kendall Reyes, Michael Brockers, Dre Kirkpatrick, Chandler Jones, Lamar Miller, Andre Branch

4. We're just trying to win a MOTHER****ING game: Doug Martin

5. DO YOUR JOB!!: Jerel Worthy, Janoris Jenkins, Dontari Poe

Last edited by pricejj; 04-19-2012 at 02:22 PM..
Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I've already came to terms with the fact that we will be picking a loser.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I've already came to terms with the fact that we will be picking a loser.
You would only be happy with Worthy?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
Frosty78
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yep. Here's levels of excitement, based on who we pick in the 1st round:

1. Fist pumping sprint toward endzone: Kendall Wright, Coby Fleener

2. Look of elation while squealing the Range out of Dove Valley: Jonathan Martin, Pete Konz, Dont'e Hightower, Mark Barron, Derek Wolfe, Nick Perry

3. Throat cough: Devon Still, Mike Adams, Kendall Reyes, Michael Brockers, Dre Kirkpatrick, Chandler Jones, Lamar Miller

4. We're just trying to win a MOTHER****ING game: Doug Martin

5. DO YOUR JOB!!: Jerel Worthy, Janoris Jenkins, Dontari Poe
I'd agree with most of what you said here except in regards to Doug Martin. Don't think we will be picking O-Line early though.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
I'd agree with most of what you said here except in regards to Doug Martin. Don't think we will be picking O-Line early though.
Jonathan Stewart is better than Doug Martin, and we could trade Carolina our 2nd round pick to get him.

***although I'm hoping we can snag JStew for #87 overall
Old 04-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
Frosty78
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Stewart is better, but he's going to want a big contract, which is why I don't see us trading for him. Carolina won't get a second rounder for him though.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Stewart is better, but he's going to want a big contract, which is why I don't see us trading for him. Carolina won't get a second rounder for him though.
I can't see him landing too much more than Tolbert did. I'm sure he would accept ~$2.6M per year, like he is scheduled to make this year, which doesn't break the bank. If we picked Doug Martin, he would get $2M.

Heck, Stewart might even be cut prior to June 1...

Last edited by pricejj; 04-19-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I can't see him landing too much more than Tolbert did. I'm sure he would accept ~$2.6M per year, like he is scheduled to make this year. Which doesn't break the bank. If we picked Doug Martin, he would get $2M.

Heck, Stewart might even be cut prior to June 1...
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Well Carolina does have over $12M tied up in the RB position...but they are under the cap, so I guess it doesn't make much sense.

Plus Tolbert is an FB...so you can still justify keeping Stewart...