The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Josh McDaniels Was Born Of The Jackal.

Draft Grader: Denver Broncos

April 18th, 2012 | Author: Khaled Elsayed

Up next in our Draft Grader series are those Denver Broncos who, before John Elway rode to the rescue and Peyton Manning ousted Tim Tebow, were dealing with Mike Shanahan’s final draft class and the first (and only) two of Josh McDaniels.

Suffice to say some of these grades aren’t going to be pretty.

As usual, every pick gets a grade between +2.0 and -2.0 (in 0.5 increments) that depends upon:

• Where they were drafted
• Their performance
• Their contribution (how many snaps their team got out of them)
• Other factors such as unforeseen injuries and conditions that could not have been accounted for

Let’s take a look at how the Broncos drafted.

+1.0: The scouts nailed it!

Ryan Clady, T (12th overall pick in 2008): After not giving up a sack as a rookie, people jumped to the conclusion that Clady was the next great left tackle of the league. He wasn’t, but he has proved an above average one (and a much better pass protector, to boot) despite something of a down year in 2011 where he got beat far more than we’re accustomed to seeing. A better left tackle than Peyton Manning has been used to playing with.

+0.5: Never hurts to find a solid contributor

Spencer Larsen, LB/ FB (183rd overall pick in 2008): Something of a jack of many trades, Larsen is one of the league’s worst lead blockers, but has proved a valuable special teamer over the years. Has contributed more than you’d expect out of a sixth rounder.

Peyton Hillis, RB (227th overall pick in 2008): Blame the McDaniels regime for not getting the most out of Hillis. As a rookie, he was extremely productive when injuries forced the Broncos to rely on him, picking up a +9.6 grade in his 355 snaps. Unfortunately, the new regime wasn’t a fan and he played just 84 more snaps before being traded away. A waste of talent, though through his efforts as a rookie and getting something in return via trade, more than you normally get out of a seventh round pick.

Demaryius Thomas, WR (22nd overall pick in 2010): Thomas has had to overcome some injury problems and some poor QB play, but his talent has shone through at times and you expect him to be a big benefactor with Manning coming into town.

Tim Tebow, QB (25th overall pick in 2010): Say what you want about Tebow, but he played his part in the team making the playoffs. Very raw/poor as a passer, his athletic ability opened up a stagnant Broncos offense and created some very memorable NFL moments.

0.0: It could have been worse

Eddie Royal, WR (42nd overall pick in 2008): His breakout rookie year never really developed into a consistent career at the receiver spot, making Royal something of a disappointment as a receiver. Saves himself with some electric work as a returner.

Kory Lichtensteiger, G (108th overall pick in 2008): A perfect fit for the zone blocking scheme the Broncos ran, his usefulness went out of the window when the Broncos canned Shanahan.

Jack Williams, CB (119th overall pick in 2008): Never really worked out for Williams who was cut loose after 192 snaps with Denver. You wonder if he wouldn’t have been pushed so far down the McDaniels depth chart if not for one particularly crazy trade.

Ryan Torain, RB (139th overall pick in 2008): Injuries really limited what he could do with Denver, with new coaches not prepared to take a chance on him getting healthy. Has since shown a lot of talent but proven quite fragile.

Carlton Powell, DT (148th overall pick in 2008): Another one of the players whose face didn’t fit in with new management. Cut a year after being drafted.

Josh Barrett, S (220th overall pick in 2008): Looked out of his depth when he got on the field as a rookie, and while he stuck around, was eventually let go when injured.

Robert Ayers, DE (18th overall pick in 2009): The least worst pick from 2009, Ayers often looked miscast in McDaniels’ 3-4, but has turned into a solid defensive end in Denver. May never be an elite pass rusher, but holds the fort down on early downs while others handle that responsibility.

David Bruton, S (114th overall pick in 2009): Hasn’t developed into a starter, but has a role on the team in providing decent depth and contributing on special teams.

Kenny McKinley, WR (141st overall pick in 2009): Sadly, took his life after multiple injuries.

Tom Brandstater, QB (174th overall pick in 2009): Was buried on the depth chart after the 2010 draft and eventually released.

Eric Decker, WR (87th overall pick in 2010): Will get a chance to show what he can really do now that he has a more conventional quarterback behind center.

Perrish Cox, CB (137th overall pick in 2010): Off the field problems ended a promising Broncos career.

Eric Olsen, C (183rd overall pick in 2010): Waived after a year with the team.

Syd’Quan Thompson, S (225th overall pick in 2010): Looked like the Broncos could be onto something after a promising rookie year, but after missing all of 2011 with a torn Achilles tendon, could struggle making the roster under a coaching staff that isn’t invested in him.

-0.5: That pick was not put to good use

Knowshon Moreno, RB (12th overall pick in 2009): Mike Shanahan doesn’t draft running backs in the first round? “Well, forget that” says Mr. McDaniels who goes out and does so, making all of Denver wish that he’d followed in the footsteps of his predecessor. Moreno has been a disappointment, not getting on the field enough and rarely testing defenses. Broncos rushing attack got better when he wasn’t on the field.

Seth Olsen, G (132nd overall pick in 2009): Waived after a year with the team. Not what you’d expect out of a fourth round pick.

Blake Schlueter, C (225th overall pick in 2009): Cut before the start of his rookie season, he wasn’t even deemed worth a practice squad spot.

Jammie Kirlew, DE (232nd overall pick in 2010): Cut before the start of the 2010 season.

-1.0: What a waste!

Darcel McBath, S (48th overall pick in 2009): Viewed as a reach at the time, McBath went on to play just 293 snaps for the Broncos. Even with some good work on special teams, this was a colossal waste.

Richard Quinn, TE (64th overall pick in 2009): Eyebrows were raised when a purely blocking tight end was taken in the second round and understandably so. Quinn would go on to play even less than McBath, registering just 249 snaps in another case of bad overdrafting.

Zane Beadles, G (45th overall pick in 2010): Seemed to progress at guard as his rookie year went on, but was abysmal in his second year in such a way that you wonder if he could ever turn the corner. Our fourth-lowest ranked guard in 2011, he’s poor in pass protection and nearly as bad in the run game.

J.D. Walton, C (80th overall pick in 2010): Our fourth-lowest ranked center in the league as a rookie, stepped it up and earned the lowest grade of all his peers in 2011. A poor player who struggles massively in the run game.

-1.5: The scouts/ coaches failed, big time!

Alphonso Smith, CB (37th overall pick in 2009): The pick that in some ways defined McDaniels’ frivolous attitude when it came to drafting. He saw him as a first round talent, so traded away a future first. But when he didn’t enter the league playing like one of the league’s best, faith was quickly lost and he was then traded away for Dan Gronkowski, a former seventh-rounder. This was the perfect storm in terms of making a pick as bad as it can be, and the sad thing for Smith is, he had little to do with it. You draft a player that you think is a first-rounder, you don’t give up on him after a year.

-2.0: You just drafted the love child of Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf!

No Russell/ Leaf hybrids in this draft.

Summary

You almost have to ignore parts of the 2008 draft because of the wholesale changes that followed, but it should be noted that more players drafted in ’08 have gone onto have success than both 2009 and 2010 combined. That has a lot to do with one of the worst draft classes of all time in what Denver did in Josh McDaniels’ first year in charge. Adding a little bit more context, Denver had just traded away their franchise quarterback and, in the end, got a solid defensive end and … well, that was it. Blame the scouts or blame the coaches, but drafting that many players and failing so spectacularly on so many is utterly inexcusable.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...enver-broncos/
Attached Images

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 04-20-2012 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Changed Inappropriate Thread Title.
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

You really have to wonder whether or not Walton and Beadles appeared to digress because of the Tebow offense and maybe they'll look better with Manning. And if not wonder then hope...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
socalorado
Ring of Famer

I actually think Walton will be OK, but Beadles i am concerned about.
Hopefully these guys understand that if they want to become successful,
NFL players and win a ring, they will take a page from our new QB and work
their ass off to be the best. Cause even then, they will more than likely only
be slightly above average.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
You really have to wonder whether or not Walton and Beadles appeared to digress because of the Tebow offense and maybe they'll look better with Manning. And if not wonder then hope...
Like they went off on a tangent because of Tebow's religious beliefs?

Do yourself, and us, a favor. Stop pathetically trying to make Tebow the cause of every issue, and don't try to use any fancy words. You just end up looking like an idiot twice.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I really want them to kick Franklin inside...I think our interior could be nasty.

And I am not a Tebow hater, but I also agree I don't think we know how good or bad they are based on both him and Orton. One guy was always on a fire drill and the other was a sloth.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
I actually think Walton will be OK, but Beadles i am concerned about.
Hopefully these guys understand that if they want to become successful,
NFL players and win a ring, they will take a page from our new QB and work
their ass off to be the best. Cause even then, they will more than likely only
be slightly above average.
I think Beadles may be replaced this year. I can see Ryan Harris starting at RT and bumping Franklin inside. Or even just replacing Beadles with Harris. Either way is an upgrade if Harris can stay healthy. Big if though.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I'm sorry, but this thread title is just ridiculous and way over the top.

You can't die from gonorrhea.

Josh McDaniels should die of syphillis and rot in hell.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Like they went off on a tangent because of Tebow's religious beliefs?

Do yourself, and us, a favor. Stop pathetically trying to make Tebow the cause of every issue, and don't try to use any fancy words. You just end up looking like an idiot twice.
Dude, take your ignorance, stupidity, and pathetic jilted lover attitude elsewhere. Seriously, just stop following me around and responding to my posts. This isn't about Tebow, it's about mediocre-at-best young players struggling to perform in the type of offense the Broncos ran under Tebow. This isn't some new concept. Even Ryan Clady struggled in it. Why do you have to derail threads with your Tebow fanboy love? You appear to be one of very few people who don't understand the challenges the Tebow offense created for the O-line. Get over it, and get over yourself you self important loser. And consider putting me on ignore so I don't have to expend so much energy batting you around like a ****ing pinata.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Dude, take your ignorance, stupidity, and pathetic jilted lover attitude elsewhere. Seriously, just stop following me around and responding to my posts. This isn't about Tebow, it's about mediocre-at-best young players struggling to perform in the type of offense the Broncos ran under Tebow. This isn't some new concept. Even Ryan Clady struggled in it. Why do you have to derail threads with your Tebow fanboy love? You appear to be one of very few people who don't understand the challenges the Tebow offense created for the O-line. Get over it, and get over yourself you self important loser. And consider putting me on ignore so I don't have to expend so much energy batting you around like a ****ing pinata.
You are an idiot. An option offense is great for an o line. They went from **** in pass and run blocking, to good at run blocking. You aren't making any sense...
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

This has got to be one of the worst articles I've seen PFF put out, and that is really saying something.

A few quibbles:
Spencer Larsen is a +0.5 for being a poor FB and good special teamer. Robert Ayers is a +0.0 for being a solid starting DE. Who do you think most in the NFL view as more valuable?

Peyton Hillis is a +0.5 with a bunch of hate attached for being traded. Alphonso Smith is a -1.5 for similarly being traded. He's actually still with the team that traded for him, just had another pretty solid year for them too. This makes no sense.

Again, Spencer Larsen = bad fullback by their numbers but he's a +0.5. JD Walton and Zane Beadles are bad starting OL by their metrics too but they're -1.0 for some reason. Another mathematical failure.

Why are Blake Schluter and Jamie Kerlew negatives when Carlton Powell also never played and was drafted several rounds higher?

Knowshon Moreno is a -0.5 despite being a starter for two years and putting up over 100 all purpose yards both of those seasons. He isn't worth where he was picked at, but he isn't a complete waste either. If this guy was taken in the 3rd round he'd be a fan favorite and everyone would be pining for the day he can finally stay healthy.

I grade PFF a -2.0 because they're the J-Russ on DRANK having dirty butt sex with a drunk Ryan Leaf of football websites. That is just as valid as all the **** this article contains.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

^ Factor in draft positioning and it will make more sense.

Still not a particularly good write-up, but it will definitely make MORE sense.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Clady strugged in '10 too bro, no Tebow at QB then. Or are you saying the thought of having to some day protect Tebow was so distracting to Clady that he couldn't do his job as well as he otherwise might have?

The previously unknown "Tebow on the bench, I'ma **** my pants" effect, as it were.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

Not really, I pointed out how they failed to correct for draft position consistently with the Carlton Powell at 0.0 v. Kerlew and Schluter at -0.5 comparisons.

Kerlew and Schluter were 7th round picks. Powell was a 4th round pick. None of them have played a game in the league yet to my knowledge. But Powell is neutral while the other two are negatives?

Its random opinion thrown into type like that suddenly validates it.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Clady strugged in '10 too bro...
Agree. Orton didn't do him any favors, either. And he was coming off a major injury. You have to agree that Manning making quicker and better reads and getting rid of the ball is going to immensely help the OL, and that protecting a QB like Tebow, in that type of offense, can be difficult. I don't know why/how anyone would disagree with this, it isn't a slight of Tebow. It's just the nature of the beast. No reason for people to be so sensitive and irrational about it.

Last edited by TonyR; 04-19-2012 at 08:02 AM..
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Not really, I pointed out how they failed to correct for draft position consistently with the Carlton Powell at 0.0 v. Kerlew and Schluter at -0.5 comparisons.

Kerlew and Schluter were 7th round picks. Powell was a 4th round pick. None of them have played a game in the league yet to my knowledge. But Powell is neutral while the other two are negatives?
No one gives a ****.

Just apply that to your Spencer Larsen vs Ayers, Walton and Beadles, Hillis vs Alphonso, and Knowshon on the bench rants.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #16
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
An option offense is great for an o line. They went from **** in pass and run blocking, to good at run blocking.
Do you notice what got left out of your little equation?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #17
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
so Tebow is to blame for Walton and Beadles inexperience?

let it go... Tebow is gone. all he did for us was:

1) not get arrested for DUI
2) not have any baby mama drama
3) be polite and courteous to everyone who wanted to interview him
4) salvage a season that was in a death spiral after 5 games
5) win a playoff game
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Do you notice what got left out of your little equation?
Do you notice that it isn't needed? Stay bad at pass ocking but get better at run blocking = the line got worse!

Tony the retard logic at its finest.

It is pretty common knowledge that an option offense is good for an o line. It makes their jobs easier. It is also common knowledge that pass blocking is not nearly as important when you are throwing it 10 times a game. You are just too stupid to understand the basics.

Last edited by jhns; 04-19-2012 at 08:07 AM..
Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
so Tebow is to blame for Walton and Beadles inexperience?
No, and I never said he was. I never said anything that was a slight of Tebow. Your boy Dedhed is misunderstanding and over reacting as usual, and now jhns and you are piling on in typical Tebow zombie mob mentality. Can't have a rational discussion with Tebow's name involved without you people losing your minds. I'm not criticizing Tebow! If you people can't post thoughtfully and rationally on such topics you should do everyone a favor and stay out of it.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Agree. Orton didn't do him any favors, either. And he was coming off a major injury. You have to agree that Manning making quicker and better reads and getting rid of the ball is going to immensely help the OL, and that protecting a QB like Tebow, in that type of offense, can be difficult. I don't know why/how anyone would disagree with this, it isn't a slight of Tebow. It's just the nature of the beast. No reason for people to be so sensitive and irrational about it.
So every other QB in the league but Peyton Manning makes Clady look bad?

He blew his knee apart in the 2010 off-season. He has since spent basically zero days (well, this week I guess) rehabbing it in coordination with the team's staff. The last two years (since the injury) he's shown pretty poor lateral mobility after being cat quick his first two years. So do you really think it's the QB making Clady look bad or is it maybe Clady's tore up knee he's still not 100% back from that makes him look bad?

Quote:
No one gives a ****.

Just apply that to your Spencer Larsen vs Ayers, Walton and Beadles, Hillis vs Alphonso, and Knowshon on the bench rants.
So the grading only applies in specific instances?

Better yet, lets go by his own wording of what each tier means.

"+0.5 Never hurts to find a solid contributor". This includes Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow. Why doesn't it include Robert Ayers (started 23 of the 27 games he's played the last two years, that included a switch from LB to DE)? If you're including DT why aren't you including Knowshon Moreno? Moreno missed most of last season to injury, just like DT missed most of his rookie year, both have been inconsistent producers who have had big games but have many more games of mediocrity. All first rounders selected within about 15 picks of one another.

He takes a jab at McDaniels over Jack Mother****ing Williams not working out. Where is he right now? Out of the league.

Yep, this **** isn't completely idiotic or anything. Makes total sense.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #21
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
The offensive line had to hold their blocks longer, under Tebow. I am confident that they will be better. Manning has that quick release, so that will help...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
No, and I never said he was. I never said anything that was a slight of Tebow. Your boy Dedhed is misunderstanding and over reacting as usual, and now jhns and you are piling on in typical Tebow zombie mob mentality. Can't have a rational discussion with Tebow's name involved without you people losing your minds. I'm not criticizing Tebow! If you people can't post thoughtfully and rationally on such topics you should do everyone a favor and stay out of it.
I haven't even talked about Tebow. You are just proving that you are too stupid for message boards again.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #23
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
The offensive line had to hold their blocks longer, under Tebow. I am confident that they will be better. Manning has that quick release, so that will help...
The OL will be better because Clady will be healthier and the young guys (Beadles, Walton, and Franklin) will get a full off-season and pre-season of work with a very good OL coach.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
So the grading only applies in specific instances?

Better yet, lets go by his own wording of what each tier means.

"+0.5 Never hurts to find a solid contributor". This includes Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow. Why doesn't it include Robert Ayers (started 23 of the 27 games he's played the last two years, that included a switch from LB to DE)? If you're including DT why aren't you including Knowshon Moreno? Moreno missed most of last season to injury, just like DT missed most of his rookie year, both have been inconsistent producers who have had big games but have many more games of mediocrity. All first rounders selected within about 15 picks of one another.

He takes a jab at McDaniels over Jack Mother****ing Williams not working out. Where is he right now? Out of the league.

Yep, this **** isn't completely idiotic or anything. Makes total sense.
What part of this post do you not understand (clearly aside from every simple ****ing word)?

Quote:

Old 04-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #25
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I thoroughly believe that on draft day you could have taken 5-10 of the more draft knowledgeable Maners, given them one week of preparation to prepare a draftboard and they would have drafted better than McDaniels did.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote