The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Anyone worried about the O-Line?

DT, DT, DT .... yes agreed but does anyone feel the Walton/Beadles element of our O-Line on pass protection is weak sauce?

Last year, the QB plus unusual offense added a bunch to our rushing totals so I'm not sure we can assume that this year "we have the best rushing offense in the NFL". Combine that with the suspect pass protection from last year, I think we need to spend one of our first 3 picks as an upgrade of at least one of these two players.

From the confirmed visits thread, it appears OG is being looked at.

So, 1st 4 picks in no particular order:

OG/C, DT, RB and LB (who can defend TEs on passing downs)?
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,652

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

DT, DT, LB, LB, RB, OL
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Actually it was Clady that lead the team in holding calls in fact alomsot a league leader IIRC..

Am I concerned about the rest of the OL sure.. Kuper coming off IR with ankle surgery AGAIN, franklin a much better run blocker than pass protect..

anyone I missed?
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

would never waste a first rounder on an Interior OL guy..

not when our real issue is and has been DT the past decade..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,631

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Clady led the league in holding calls last year. He's still a very good OT, and we need to lock him up along with Kuper and Frankling.

Beadles and Walton are below-average, and not very good pass blockers. If we don't go DT in the first, then we should try and grab Peter Konz or Cordy Glenn.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 20,320
Default

CB/LB, DT/RB, DT, DT, OL
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,923
Default

the OL needs upgrading but DT has to be priority.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I'm worried about Kuper recuperating.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prunch View Post
DT, DT, DT .... yes agreed but does anyone feel the Walton/Beadles element of our O-Line on pass protection is weak sauce?

Last year, the QB plus unusual offense added a bunch to our rushing totals so I'm not sure we can assume that this year "we have the best rushing offense in the NFL". Combine that with the suspect pass protection from last year, I think we need to spend one of our first 3 picks as an upgrade of at least one of these two players.

From the confirmed visits thread, it appears OG is being looked at.

So, 1st 4 picks in no particular order:

OG/C, DT, RB and LB (who can defend TEs on passing downs)?
Tom Brady was sacked 21 times in 2007
Matt Cassel behind the same line was sacked 47 times in 2008

Peyton Manning is one of the hardest qbs to sack in the history of the NFL

Our interior could be upgraded, but without a doubt our line now is better than what the Colts have been trotting out in recent years

Manning will make everyone, especially our oline look better

Clady went 20 straight games without giving up a sack when he had a qb who actually would get rid of the ball

He will bounce back this year, maybe he will never be the player he was his rookie year
but he will have a good year
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,378

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prunch View Post
DT, DT, DT .... yes agreed but does anyone feel the Walton/Beadles element of our O-Line on pass protection is weak sauce?

Last year, the QB plus unusual offense added a bunch to our rushing totals so I'm not sure we can assume that this year "we have the best rushing offense in the NFL". Combine that with the suspect pass protection from last year, I think we need to spend one of our first 3 picks as an upgrade of at least one of these two players.

From the confirmed visits thread, it appears OG is being looked at.

So, 1st 4 picks in no particular order:

OG/C, DT, RB and LB (who can defend TEs on passing downs)?
is C or LG as big of a need as we all seem to believe? if it were, i can't fathom that the front office would have had little or no interest in Saturday even if it was only for a year or 2 and that so far not a single interior OL was brought in.

i am not too worried about our rushing totals, in fact I would expect the yards per carry to actually increase, simply because of teams needing to play the Nickel and Dime formations much more often to compensate for a legit passing attack which would give our ball carriers easier rushing lanes. so while our total yardage may drop because we don't have a QB rushing for 70 yards a game in addition to our RBs, but our rushing attack should stay pretty potent.

pass protection is hard to judge from last year. none of the line looked great doing it because it is a b**** to protect a QB who is never where you'd expect, and you have no idea whether or not he has thrown the ball, tucked it and run or is stretching a play; which is also a huge reason why Clady had so many holding penalties. in a situation where the QB will be getting the ball out of his hands in about 3-5 seconds and is purely a pocket passer, the work for the OL will become much easier. i think we need depth, and competition for starting spots, but not replacements necessarily.

i say 1st 4 picks need to be DT, CB, RB, LB and then depth and a return man.

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 04-18-2012 at 05:28 PM..
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,378

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I'm worried about Kuper recuperating.
the only thing with Kuper I am worried about is him coming back before the injury is completely healed. he seems to have the attitude of one of those throwback OL players from decades past who would play in any condition. he is the best OL on the team and we need him at 100%. he says he should be 100% by TC, so i would love to see the team work him onto the playing field over a couple of weeks instead of just throwing him in. let him get his feet back under him so that once the regular season comes, he is ready to resume kicking some ass.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,569

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I'm worried about Kuper recuperating.
Yu cant speel rekuperate without kuper.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Peyton Manning is one of the hardest qbs to sack in the history of the NFL

Our interior could be upgraded, but without a doubt our line now is better than what the Colts have been trotting out in recent years

Manning will make everyone, especially our oline look better

Clady went 20 straight games without giving up a sack when he had a qb who actually would get rid of the ball
Yup, good post. Our O-line was pretty darn good with Cutler and Manning is superior to Cutler. I think they'll be fine, although an interior upgrade certainly wouldn't hurt.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Clady led the league in holding calls last year. He's still a very good OT, and we need to lock him up along with Kuper and Frankling.

Beadles and Walton are below-average, and not very good pass blockers. If we don't go DT in the first, then we should try and grab Peter Konz or Cordy Glenn.
I wouldn't mind either of those guys. Glenn would be pretty awesome next to Franklin or Clady.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,923
Default

i think Konz could slip, i wouldn't take him with #25 but if we trade down i would if OL was the target.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,575

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

I sure hope Harris is healthy, if he is we have solid depth and with the help of rainbows and unicorns he could win back the starting RT job moving Franklin to guard and upgrading the line even more. I don't think that will likely happen but it is fun to dream now and then.

Beadles and Walton are the weak links and Kuper is going to have to prove he is 100% on the field but I think Manning's release will help them out, as long as Manning is 100%.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Yes I am worried about it. Our o-line sucks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
is C or LG as big of a need as we all seem to believe? if it were, i can't fathom that the front office would have had little or no interest in Saturday even if it was only for a year or 2 and that so far not a single interior OL was brought in.
They also thought Orton gave us the "best chance to win" last season, and they let Bunkley walk while bringing in no help at DT to replace him, at least not yet.

So...yeah...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Yes I am worried about it. Our o-line sucks.
What a drama queen. I guarantee you Manning will make the O-line look better. He makes quicker and better reads and gets rid of the football. Do you really think he'd sign with a team if he was concerned that the O-line wasn't good enough? And maybe he knows a little bit more about O-lines than you?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,910
Default

I'm still concerned about it. Especially the interior.

I agree with the folks who think that Clady will perform better for a pocket passer - especially one with a fast release and who can read blitzes like Manning. I do think that Manning will make the whole O-Line look better in terms of the passing game.

I am not so sure about our running game. The O-Line looked incapable of opening any kind of hole when Orton was behind center. Some of that was undoubtedly due to the fact that the secondary was cheating up against the dink and dunk short range passing game. - - But not all of it. There were plenty of plays where Beadles and Walton just got dominated by opposing linemen.

They seemed to get better as time went on, but I wonder how much of that was due to Tebow and the scheme.

The whole offense is going to be so radically different in design (and with Manning behind center) that I think it's very hard to project much of anything from last year, one way or the other.

My hope is (a) that they all come back healthy and (b) that they all get on the same page as fast as possible. I've got a feeling that Manning will see to (b).
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,378

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
They also thought Orton gave us the "best chance to win" last season, and they let Bunkley walk while bringing in no help at DT to replace him, at least not yet.

So...yeah...
give me a break with this "they thought Orton was the best option last year bull****."

i hear it so much whenever anything is brought up about what the front office may be thinking. and it is bull****.

tell me any organization that would have thought Tebow was the best option going into last season. he looked like **** in camp, mediocre in preseason, and was outplayed by both Quinn and Orton. the NFL is a show me what you've got job and Orton showed the team more ability before the season began. now whether that amounted to success on the field is not the point, because any other organization in the league would have done the same thing with the QB position given the options Denver had last year because they would play the guy who looked best.

Bunkley was a good player for us, but was he really worth 9 million guaranteed? we are so starved for any kind of DT that we as fans are willing to back up brinks trucks on average players.

and if you will recall how we got Bunkley in the 1st place, it was a post draft day trade. players on rosters now are going to become available in the coming months. we have 2 of the best defensive minds in the league on staff, i think they have a plan for the defense.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #22
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Vegas_Bronco's Avatar
 
Fear is a lack of preparation.

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Now 64 Yards Out
Posts: 5,211

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1
Default

Peyton holds the ball just a bit longer in the red zone than most qbs...giving his wrs just eniough time to work through the coverage contact. Ends up really confusing defenders that are use to him firing at will on tempo through most of the game...dude is a master of timing the pass right allowing the wr to work thru the coverage. Just give him a blocking back that can fill a blitz and hell throw 4 tds on the defense in one half. Our offensive line is good enough...could use some depth. Most holding calls will recede to half the amount bc Clady doesn't have to worry about a scrambling mess in the backfield. Having tebow back there was a technique nightmare for any tackle.

Last edited by Vegas_Bronco; 04-18-2012 at 07:41 PM..
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBen's Avatar
 
Go Broncos !!

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Actually it was Clady that lead the team in holding calls in fact alomsot a league leader IIRC..

Am I concerned about the rest of the OL sure.. Kuper coming off IR with ankle surgery AGAIN, franklin a much better run blocker than pass protect..

anyone I missed?
Are you freaking kidding me, TT was running around the backfield like a madman most of the time, granted he was trying to make something happen. So of course the oline looked worse then it was.
If John Madden thinks the Broncos oline were in his top 5 for olines, that is good enough for me.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #24
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Tom Brady was sacked 21 times in 2007
Matt Cassel behind the same line was sacked 47 times in 2008

Peyton Manning is one of the hardest qbs to sack in the history of the NFL

Our interior could be upgraded, but without a doubt our line now is better than what the Colts have been trotting out in recent years

Manning will make everyone, especially our oline look better

Clady went 20 straight games without giving up a sack when he had a qb who actually would get rid of the ball

He will bounce back this year, maybe he will never be the player he was his rookie year
but he will have a good year
Wish y'all would get your head out of your collective asses and realize that sacks are one thing and pressures and getting you head handed to you in a legal hit are two entirely different animals.

While it is a measurement it only counts the ones that come before they get the ball off. I'd guess that there are twice as many of the later than there are sacks..

And everyone of them add up in mannings career. From hs thru last year.

I know that John did not get sacked much but he commented as did Jake after they retired that getting up Monday after a game and not hurting all over was nice.

So singing the praises of the lack of mannings sack is folly. If you have followed his career his OL was very veteran unlike ours being very young. They will be better in front of him, but not as good as his last one. And that one was just good enough to cause him FOUR neck surgeries.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #25
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,203

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I sure hope Harris is healthy, if he is we have solid depth and with the help of rainbows and unicorns he could win back the starting RT job moving Franklin to guard and upgrading the line even more. I don't think that will likely happen but it is fun to dream now and then.

Beadles and Walton are the weak links and Kuper is going to have to prove he is 100% on the field but I think Manning's release will help them out, as long as Manning is 100%.
Harris the guy that started just a tad more than 50% of the games he was eligible to do..

Anything more than a few play backup is counting on his sorry ass to much.

Once again. Timing and KNOWING what the guy next to you is doing plays more than anything on the OL. Having a newbie next to you causes hesitation which will get your QB killed.

Most of the great OLs of all time played as a unit for years not games. Everyone knows what is going to happen I'm ANY situation. And it is an automatic response. Not wondering what the newbie is going to do.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Denver Broncos